• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gov. Jerry Brown Signs Bills that Raise California Smoking Age to 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gov. Jerry Brown on Wednesday signed a pack of bills that will raise the smoking age in California from 18 to 21, restrict the use of electronic cigarettes in public places and expand no-smoking areas at public schools.

However, Brown vetoed a bill that would have allowed counties to seek voter approval of local tobacco taxes to pay for healthcare expenses for those with tobacco-related illnesses.

“Although California has one of the lowest cigarette tax rates in the nation, I am reluctant to approve this measure in view of all the taxes being proposed for the 2016 ballot,” Brown wrote in his veto message for a bill authored by Assemblyman Richard Bloom (D-Santa Monica).

Brown’s signature makes California the second state in the nation to raise the tobacco age to 21, following Hawaii. Sen. Ed Hernandez (D-West Covina) authored the bill in an effort to reduce the number of young people who start smoking.

After some lawmakers objected that 18-year-olds can join the military but would be banned from smoking, Hernandez changed his bill to exempt people in active military service.

Under other legislation signed by the governor, electronic cigarettes are considered to be tobacco products and cannot be used in restaurants, theaters, bars and other places where smoking has long been banned. They also cannot be marketed to minors.

Other measures signed by the governor will:

— Close loopholes in the ban on smoking in workplaces to include warehouses, gambling clubs, motel lobbies, covered parking lots and other public areas left out of the existing law.

— Expand the tobacco-free campus law to include more areas of charter schools and public school facilities and offices.

— Raise the licensing fee for tobacco retailers from a one-time $100 charge per location to $265 annually, and boost the annual fee for distributors and wholesalers from $1,000 to $1,200 to better cover the state’s enforcement costs.
Los Angeles Times

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I mean sure, but if kids want to smoke, it's real easy. I smoked my first cigarette because I found a pack on the road.

Rootbeer

Banned
After some lawmakers objected that 18-year-olds can join the military but would be banned from smoking, Hernandez changed his bill to exempt people in active military service.

Heh, wow... Okay... the weird logic at work here...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Never get why people associate being able to join the military at age 18 with not being allowed to do other stuff.

Joining the military and willing to serve the country is a selfless act with a positive benefit for the country... so why compare it to something that has no absolutely zero benefits, something that is just a complete negative and a total drain on society in every possible way.

Never get why people associate being able to join the military at age 18 with not being allowed to do other stuff.

Joining the military and willing to serve the country is a selfless act with a positive benefit for the country... so why compare it to something that has no absolutely zero benefits, something that is just a complete negative and a total drain on society in every possible way.
I guess it kinda makes sense for gun ownership but also not really.

billeh

Because if you're old enough to make the decision to die for your country, you should be old enough to make the decision whether or not to consume tobacco/alcohol?

If we're gonna go the nanny route, where are the age limits on fatty foods? And soda?

vern

Yeah man the military has been real positive over the past 15 years or so.

On topic though I think we should lower the drinking and smoking age. Smoking is stupid as hell but if you wanna do it go ahead. I'm all for bans in public places though.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

It has to do with the fact that if you are legally an adult than you should legally be treated as any other adult. You shouldn't have an arbitrary age you need to reach to make certain decisions.

Edit:

Also I completely disagree with you labeling joining the military as a complete selfless act and positive influences on the country.

Because if you're old enough to make the decision to die for your country, you should be old enough to make the decision whether or not to consume tobacco/alcohol?

If we're gonna go the nanny route, where are the age limits on fatty foods? And soda?

One angle I could see is that while serving could potentially harm yourself only, smoking places tremendous health burdens on you, those around you and society in general. Second hand smoke kills hundreds of thousands yearly. Effects on babies by mothers during pregnancy and the myriad of diseases it causes lead to a large strain on our healthcare system and by extension all of us by taking up resources and finances. You're much less likely to begin smoking if you don't take it up early. Tobacco companies have put forth effort in trying to market their product to younger buyers.

It's not so much about rights as it is about trying to curb the act itself.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I'm all for discouraging children from eating and drinking inappropriately. Childhood obesity is a serious issue that the government should have an interest in addressing. I don't think thats the "nanny route".

I'm not pro military either, just find it bizarre that a politician of all folks would seemingly state that being able to join the military should enable you to make dumb life decisions that serve no benefit to anyone and is a threat and nuisance to the rest of society.

If you want to smoke in your own private property thats fine but I don't have a problem with just outright banning smoking in public places.

Rootbeer

Banned
I hate smoking, but an 18 year old should be able to choose if they're legally an adult. I really hate smoking though ....

I agree. I don't like this change. I think we as a country have made strong inroads at chipping away at the smoking rate across all ages through advocacy and education. That is the route to take, not changing the age. If you can convince someone to not smoke you are doing way more for them than simply making it illegal, where they can still find a way to do it anyway if they have the will.

I also feel that the moment you can sign up for military service to die for your country, you should be able to do whatever other adults can do, be it smoking, drinking, whatever. But the weird exception clause in this law is a wacky double standard that I do not like.

DiscoJer

Beyond the issue of death and disability, basically in the military you are entrusted with weapons and extremely expensive (and lethal) vehicles.

Someone can be trusted to work on or fly a $200 million airplane or tank or ship, or use a fully automatic weapon, or grenade, but they can't be trusted to take a drink of alcohol or (now) smoke tobacco?

weshes195

You become an adult when you join the military basically. You are making a decision that could end your whole life and endure hardship that most normal people wouldn't last a second in.

....Oh but you can't drink or smoke while there are people who don't go through 1% of that who can do all of that. How is any of that at all fair?

Beyond the issue of death and disability, basically in the military you are entrusted with weapons and extremely expensive (and lethal) vehicles.

Someone can be trusted to work on or fly a $200 million airplane or tank or ship, or use a fully automatic weapon, or grenade, but they can't be trusted to take a drink of alcohol or (now) smoke tobacco?

Yeah, this.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I'm all for discouraging children from eating and drinking inappropriately. Childhood obesity is a serious issue that the government should have an interest in addressing. I don't think thats the "nanny route".

I'm not pro military either, just find it bizarre that a politician of all folks would seemingly state that being able to join the military should enable you to make dumb life decisions that serve no benefit to anyone and is a threat and nuisance to the rest of society.

If you want to smoke in your own private property thats fine but I don't have a problem with just banning smoking in public places.

People tout the military thing as an argument, but that is besides the point.

The essence of the argument is that if a country legally sees you as an adult, then legally you should not be limited by an arbitrary age limit limiting your actions as an adult.

Also you say you aren't pro military but just posted this.

Good, starts at 16 where I live and it's stupid and me and my friends were all stupid enough to smoke. Personally only when going out for a drink though, urgh the taste next day.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
People tout the military thing as an argument, but that is besides the point.

The essence of the argument is that if a country legally sees you as an adult, then legally you should not be limited by an arbitrary age limit limiting your actions as an adult.

Also you say you aren't pro military but just posted this.

The point was because serving in the military is supposed to be a positive thing for the country and smoking in any shape or form is not.

I don't think tobacco has any place in society at all but people can make whatever life decisions they want in the end. I'm just all for banning it totally in public or more feasibly restricting it as much as possible.

Lomax

ot: why is everyone on the internet pro weed but against cigarettes? arent both bad?

Once pot is legal you'll start to hear more stuff like that. And smoking isn't the only way to consume pot.

One gives you cancer while the other one gives you the giggles.

Don't delude yourself, inhaling any particulate matter into your lungs chronically will give you cancer.

HUELEN10

I am 100 percent against this.

I am a asthmatic, i hate smoking, but I hate this even more.

Why? If a poor bastard can go to die for his country on some god-forsaken rock at 18, then he should damned well be allowed to fucking smoke!

As someone who has smoked for many many years then quit, I would just like to say smoking is awesome and I miss it and wish it didn't try to kill me.

As someone who has smoked for many many years then quit, I would just like to say smoking is awesome and I miss it and wish it didn't try to kill me.

I second this. They're trying to keep smoking away from young people further by moving the goal post and that just makes it more intriguing to young people like sneaking alcohol before 21.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
The point was because serving in the military is supposed to be a positive thing for the country and smoking in any shape or form is not.

I don't think tobacco has any place in society at all but people can make whatever life decisions they want in the end. I'm just all for banning it totally in public or more feasibly restricting it as much as possible.

Is being in the military positive for the country? We have a lot of issues with mental disorder, and poverty that effect a lot of ex-service men and women. I wouldn't call that positive or constructive. Banning things and prohibiting things does not work. Look at prohibition, look at Marijuana, it will only create situations where people are punished for doing something that they are addicted to.

A better solution is to put money into programs that help educate and raise more awareness of the side-effects of smoking, inhaling second hand smoke ect...

One more step towards making tobacco completely illegal sounds good to me.

Banning things does not work. It only creates an opportunity for people to be punished for something they grew up doing, or are addicted to.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Banning things and prohibiting things does not work. Look at prohibition, look at Marijuana, it will only create situations where people are punished for doing something that they are addicted to.

A better solution is to put money into programs that help educate and raise more awareness of the side-effects of smoking, inhaling second hand smoke ect...

I agree with all of this? Outright banning tobacco is an impossible thing to do for the reasons you stated but restricting access to it and trying to steer people away from it isn't the same thing as that. More public awareness is obviously a good thing as well.

Klocker

The whole pint Is to make it harder for ~14 yo to get their hands on them so they don't get addicted for years Like many kids do. (and as tobacco cos plan and hope for)

This will help to do that.

I approve.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I am 100 percent against this.

I am a asthmatic, i hate smoking, but I hate this even more.

Why? If a poor bastard can go to die for his country on some god-forsaken rock at 18, then he should damned well be allowed to fucking smoke!

well, fortunately for you there is a carve out for military members...

You can be old enough to work and be responsible for a nuclear sub but your not old and responsible enough to buy a pint of beer. Its ass backwards.

Don't agree with this law one bit.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

The point is that we, as a society, agree that 18 years of age is an age where you will be treated as an adult. You can sign legally-binding contracts. You can take out loans. You can sign up for the military. If you commit any crime at this age, there is no chance of you being tried as a juvenile.

Except for these two things, because the type of morality policing that everybody agrees is wrong when it comes to nearly every other issue is suddenly "+1 I support, good for the government." Funny how it's "my body" when it comes to nearly every other issue, but alcohol and smoking still draws out the old-school conservative in even the otherwise staunchest "liberal." Go back to your pulpit, english, and leave the rest of us the fuck alone.

well, fortunately for you there is a carve out for military members...

In this instance. Not all instances.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
The whole pint Is to make it harder for ~14 yo to get their hands on them so they don't get addicted for years Like many kids do. (and as tobacco cos plan and hope for)

This will help to do that.

I approve.

No it wont.

norm9

Let's keep regulating it and taxing it and making sure adults can't get access to it, but let's not make it illegal. Fuck you moonbeam. Either shit or get off the pot.

Trouble

Banned
And if alcohol is prohibited for anyone under 21, I have no problem with restricting tobacco use as well. Marijuana legalization will be 21 as well.

Do you support raising the voting age to 21 as well?

We need to pick an age at which one is legally an adult and stick with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom