• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GPD is working on a Windows 10 handheld

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Looks good, though I'd probably go for a 7 inch screen. Res and specs are fine. Slightly worried you might accidentally hit a few keys though.

GPD are definitely capable of releasing something. Smach Zero is vaporware as far as I'm concerned.

redlemon

but its a portable gaming PC, I can't see anyone using kb controls over a gamepad. Unless there are some games that require it I suppose.

I was against it initially but it makes sense since a lot of games on pc have partial controller support where the majority of the game can be played with a pad but need a keyboard for some commands that are occasional but still essential. Like in undertale where you need to hold down esc to quit and you need the f4 key to make it fullscreen.

The spiritual successor to Pandora with better specs (called Pyra) is on track to be released sometime early this year at around 500 EUR. It's going to be ARM (running Linux), not x86, so this will at first not be interesting for those looking for a Steam handheld (unless you are willing to take the performance hit from x86 emulation+WINE).

But: the interesting thing is this: The SOC (and only the SOC) of the Pyra is on a separate board, so in theory (we will see how this actually pans out) it could be upgraded or replaced by a x86 SOC in the future while keeping everything else (case, screen, battery, keyboard, etc.).

ibEbx85.png

Main page: http://pyra-handheld.com
FAQ: https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/faq-dragonbox-pyra.75902/

Why not just buy the $160 GPD Android handheld? Seems like a rather expensive device for emulation and what not.

MIMF

I would really love this handheld to become a reality in the very near future.

However I think its GPU is too weak, I am worried about this. If a higher end version of the handheld would exist, I would go for it for sure despite the increased cost.

redlemon

However I think its GPU is too weak, I am worried about this. If a higher end version of the handheld would exist, I would go for it for sure despite the increased cost.

If I can play indie games and emulators I'll be happy enough.
I'm not expecting too much for what is essentially the first of its kind.

Atolm

That's what you get with that form factor. What were you expecting?

CO_Andy

Looks fantastic. Definitely the emulation machine i've always dreamt of.

Android emulators ain't bad from my experience with the XD, but they're nowhere near as featured as what's on Windows.

MIMF

That's what you get with that form factor. What were you expecting?

Well, I think it is a fact that there are much more powerfull GPUs (inside SoC of course) at similar TDP levels than the atom x5 z8500 (4W as far as I know).

On the x86 side for instance Intel core m 5Y10 is vastly superior at 4,5W, on the ARM side both tegra k1 or x1, or the snapdragon 810 (adreno 430) simply have much more GPU muscle available.

On the other side, the CPU perfomance is really good but unfortunately this is not a dedicated handlheld with low level/very optimized content, this is a win10 device that will deal with plain DX11 software.

Maximo

Yeah want a high end version of a product like this, would make a really sick indie machine.

This is basically my dream device from many years ago.

Things I wish for the device:
- Dual boot Android. I would get it day 0 if this happens.
- A trackball or a ThinkPad style nub for the mouse.

wanders

Ugh drop the keyboard

Edit: actually it's interesting that how they are marketing it a portable Windows machine with different applications and usages rather than a portable Windows video game system.

Maximo

Ugh drop the keyboard

Edit: actually it's interesting that how they are marketing it a portable Windows machine with different applications and usages rather than a portable Windows video game system.

Some games NEED a keyboard even if it has controller support some things still require a keyboard.
In any case interesting their doing indiegogo for this.

prudislav

MAn i would love to have some handheld device with windows to play the indies from steam :) Would be great way to clear my backlog

redlemon

Ugh drop the keyboard

From looking into the Linx vision 8 some game need to detect a keyboard to boot even if it's not needed to play so I think its a good decision.

It makes no mention if the gamepad is native x-input which pretty vital.

quesalupa

So what kind of settings is this thing going to be able to handle? Gaming on higher end laptops without video cards is pretty iffy and this thing doesn't looking like its too hot in the specs department. That said, it seems pretty cool as a portable machine for lighter tasks.

Radnom

I'm pretty keen to back this, but what's the impact of having Windows 10 on a low-spec device gonna be? Windows 10 seems pretty hefty with a lot of crappy built-in software. How compact and light can Windows 10 get for what's essentially a tablet powered device?

It'd be very frustrating for it to take over 90% of the storage!

Top Bottom