• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GPU Length issues

This is why I'll probably never do a small form factor build. I don't want to have to think about what size the psu or gpu is and if I can fit it in the case.

I have a Server Tower ATX case and I had to remove a Drive Bay Stacker to fit my GTX770 in it.

If they make GPU cards even longer, I'm going to have to cut squeeze the damn thing out the FRONT EXPANSION PANEL of my case lol

Robbit_80

I had a GTX 280 back in the day, it was pretty big but I reckon the GTX 780 is the biggest card I've had by far. It's a beast!

I recently bought one of these 9-10 inch video cards for the first time, and I'm somewhat surprised that the weight of it hasn't made it snap off at the thin part where you connect it to the PCIe slot.

Confession time: I used tin snips to hack the end of my R9's fan guard off so it would fit in my case. I needed that extra quarter inch, and so long as I keep cords clear of the unshielded spinning blades, I should be fine... Right?

Mohonky

Yeh used to go mid-ATX but then I discovered the cards were getting bigger and were absolutely barely fitting in.

Changed over to a NZXT Phantom 820. Not had an issue since and plenty of room spare. My operating temperatures also dropped drastically.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The HDD-tray in my old chassis was the clumsiest design I have ever seen. Had to cut parts of it open to fit the GPU :lol. It was a full is sized tower but it was really cramped on the inside.

Removable drive cages help a lot with this.

Otherwise, having a smaller case can be somewhat limiting, for sure. You may save on space, but it tends to come with limited parts options as well.

The one in my old tower was welded in place. It was so dumb.

In my last board my SATA cables were covered up by my second GPU. I knew about it going in. Really annoying.

Yeah this was an issue on my old motherboard as well, new one has the SATA ports on the edge of the board, the GPU doesn't cover anything.

I recently bought one of these 9-10 inch video cards for the first time, and I'm somewhat surprised that the weight of it hasn't made it snap off at the thin part where you connect it to the PCIe slot.

The screws should take a lot of the weight stress off of the mobo :p.

Yeh used to go mid-ATX but then I discovered the cards were getting bigger and were absolutely barely fitting in.

Changed over to a NZXT Phantom 820. Not had an issue since and plenty of room spare. My operating temperatures also dropped drastically.

Depends on the ATX Mid Tower Case. My Corsair 600t case goes deep and has removable hdd cages if needed.

Yudoken

Is it just me or are other people getting problems with GPU lengths?

I have like 8.5 inch max for clearance for my case and if it powers from the end and not the side then it is even worst.

So no R9 280x for me.

Why don't you just switched to a better case and sell the old one?

tensuke

Yeah, and sometimes it's hard to find exact dimensions for a specific card when you're unsure if you'll have enough clearance due to a smaller case. Definitely going to get a bigger case when I eventually upgrade so I don't have to worry.

Top Bottom