• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GPU Maker, 3dfx Interactive Teases A Comeback After 20 Years, Major Announcement Expected Next Week

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

It looks like 3dfx Interactive, one of the iconic GPU makers, is making a comeback after 20 years. A new Twitter account which is supposedly run by the company has tweeted out that the company is making a return and going to make a major announcement next week.

We all have owned or heard about the Voodoo series of graphics cards, all of which were designed and made by 3dfx Interactive. The company used to be a major rival to other GPU manufacturers, primarily NVIDIA back in the day but after lackluster product launches, the company ultimately filed for bankruptcy and most of their assets were acquired by NVIDIA in 2002 for $70 Million.

This new account seems to suggest that 3dfx Interactive is coming back after a 20 years wait and their first major announcement will be made on Thursday (5th of August) which is next week. We don't know what the company plans to announce but if this is indeed real news, then we will have another major player in the GPU market aside from NVIDIA, AMD & Intel. You can see the teaser announcement below (Do note that the picture used below is a fan creation from DeviantArt from 2014):

Last edited:

zeorhymer

iu

YCoCg

Yeah no way this is the original company, probably some cheap buy out trying to whore out the name of an older brand to bank on nostalgia, most likely another manufacture of RTX cards given special "Voodoo" names to make it seem special.

Excess

Yeah, looks like a hoax. The massive amounts of capital needed to even return a profit in the industry is a huge barrier of entry. It's why they went bankrupt in the first place.

mhirano

For those of you who are too young or too näive, 3DFX was a graphic card company that released the iconic VOODOO card, GPUs that traded blows with NVIDIA Geforce at the time.
Voodoo-Murders was also the name of a japanese wrestling group, which have between its members the wrestler Satoshi KOJIMA.
The brand name 3DFX and Voodoo product line were ABANDONED after the company was bought by NVIDIA.
It's happening guys!

I'm pretty sure this is a fake account. Unless Nvidia is going to release a lower tier of cards and market them as 3dfx or something. I doubt the first we'd hear about that would be from a Twitter account that tweets with grammatical errors though.

That said, I loved my Voodoo3 back in the day. lol

Edit: Looks like they made a Facebook page too. Still think it's just someone being silly. facebook.com/3dfx-Interactive-747561532714773/

Last edited:

PrimeX

Well, at the very least, this news brought back memories of my first 3dfx diamond monster card.
Expensive as fuck but worth it.

OrtizTwelve

It looks like 3dfx Interactive, one of the iconic GPU makers, is making a comeback after 20 years. A new Twitter account which is supposedly run by the company has tweeted out that the company is making a return and going to make a major announcement next week.

We all have owned or heard about the Voodoo series of graphics cards, all of which were designed and made by 3dfx Interactive. The company used to be a major rival to other GPU manufacturers, primarily NVIDIA back in the day but after lackluster product launches, the company ultimately filed for bankruptcy and most of their assets were acquired by NVIDIA in 2002 for $70 Million.

This new account seems to suggest that 3dfx Interactive is coming back after a 20 years wait and their first major announcement will be made on Thursday (5th of August) which is next week. We don't know what the company plans to announce but if this is indeed real news, then we will have another major player in the GPU market aside from NVIDIA, AMD & Intel. You can see the teaser announcement below (Do note that the picture used below is a fan creation from DeviantArt from 2014):

Cool. I remember seeing their cards and marketing back in the day. Always good to have another player in the market, assuming they intend to release actual graphics card products or something of that sort.

MrA

Banned
if you accidentally burn your broom to ash, then someone else buys a new broom, is it the same broom?

ANIMAL1975

For those of you who are too young or too näive, 3DFX was a graphic card company that released the iconic VOODOO card, GPUs that traded blows with NVIDIA Geforce at the time.
Voodoo-Murders was also the name of a japanese wrestling group, which have between its members the wrestler Satoshi KOJIMA.

The brand name 3DFX and Voodoo product line were ABANDONED after the company was bought by NVIDIA.
It's happening guys!

SHIT SILENT HILL PT CONFIRMED AGAIN

skit_data

Ah, I remember when I got my Voodoo 2 card. None of my friends understood what a dedicated graphics card was back then.

I wonder what this is? Return of Voodoo?
I1AknoM.jpg

Hezekiah

Banned
Weren't they the one that spent crazy amounts of money on lavish offices and perks for their employees before going under? Sound like my sort of company (in the short-term).

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's probably a hoax. They were acquired by Nvidia 20 years ago.

It's why geforce cards could use "SLI" (the marketing name).
Absolutely not.

SLI in 3Dfx meant Scan-Line interleave
SLI in nVidia meant Scalable link interface

thief183

Awesome!! But it will be underwelming, btw if anyone is willing to buy a not mich used voodoo 5 5500, I got 1 for sell 🙂

TonyK

My first 3d accelerated card! That 3D accelerated Quake! What a time, I remember when Voodoo were the good choice and Nvidia the bad one. However, I can't believe they can return now from nowhere and be a real contender for Nvidia.

RaySoft

It's happening guys!
Traded blows with nvidia??? Lol, 3dfx released 3 generations of voodoo cards even before nvidia rolled out their GeForce256 card, wich was their first real contender. The original Voodo card from 3dfx was literally the first GPU card worth it's salt back then. Their proprietary Glide api was way ahead of Direct3D.

Top Bottom