• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GPU Maker, 3dfx Interactive Teases A Comeback After 20 Years, Major Announcement Expected Next Week

RaySoft

fly breakfast GIF by Justin Gammon
Question Mark Idk GIF by US National Archives

C O N T E X T
Is that a Glide reference?
Edit: Haha, I didn't even notice the spoiler before posting. Nailed it!

Last edited:

Kadve

But it was bought by nvidia
Nvidia never bought 3dfx proper, just the majority of their assets. Still, i also think this is a hoax.

(I'm kinda surprised that Matrox is still around though, even if they don't make consumer video cards anymore.)

mhirano

Traded blows with nvidia??? Lol, 3dfx released 3 generations of voodoo cards even before nvidia rolled out their GeForce256 card, wich was their first real contender. The original Voodo card from 3dfx was literally the first GPU card worth it's salt back then. Their proprietary Glide api was way ahead of Direct3D.
Now what?
Are you going to tell us that Abandoned is not a secret Kojima project???

old-parts

Imagine if they released a 3dfx mini, like the NES mini or the PlayStation classic with a collection of popular 90s PC games
That's probably the best use case for it.

Maybe whoever got this 3DFX brand might be pushing Intel GPU's or something like that, maybe a 3DFX emulation pack throw in with it.

Anything else I would set expectations to low.

chigstoke

3dfx.com still links back to Nvidia.com - so I’m assuming this is rubbish

Doing a password reset request on the Twitter account shows it’s just linked to a mobile number with no email associated either. As cool as it would be, I think this is on the level of that guy who said he was bringing ECW back with a PPV called ECW: Weed

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I can imagine that 3DFX is going to be a brand for mobile GPU's with Nvidia in a move similar to how Samsung's new Exynos SoC has AMD's RDNA2 tech baked into the silicon.

Maybe something Switch related? The Mariko SoC used by Nintendo for the Switch will cease manufactuering this year.

Then again it is strange that out-of-the blue 3DFX reappears. A more realistic expectation would be something like a history book of 3DFX or t-shirts with a 3DFX brand.

chigstoke

The account is still going in with these August 5th announcements. Either expecting bullshit gpu announcements or just a troll post.

Papacheeks

Banned
Nvidia never bought 3dfx proper, just the majority of their assets. Still, i also think this is a hoax.

(I'm kinda surprised that Matrox is still around though, even if they don't make consumer video cards anymore.)

We use them here our station. They are not cheap, but are worth it. We literally run Newscasts off of boxes with matrox cards in them. I looked up what they cost and they are around $2,500 a piece depending on howmany inputs/outputs they have.

If 3DFX use to make similar cards in quality but for consumers. Bring it on!!!

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Crazy.. certainly looks that way.
My guess: Falcon Northwest bought the 3DFX brand name and they’re slapping that on their GPUs.

Either that, or the 3DFX R&D engineers have secretly been working on a brand new GPU for the last 15 years and are ready to re-emerge and assert their dominance over Nvidia and AMD

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
My guess: Falcon Northwest bought the 3DFX brand name and they’re slapping that on their GPUs.

Either that, or the 3DFX R&D engineers have secretly been working on a brand new GPU for the last 15 years and are ready to re-emerge and assert their dominance over Nvidia and AMD
LOL! Probably the first part.

Rob_27

So is this..
Competition for AMD and Nvidia? or a reseller type thing.
Their own console even a portable.
Dreamcast 2 :D
Nothing

Pedro Motta

They will probably just be one of many AIB partners, like EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte etc. 3Dfx branded Nvidias and AMD cards.

chigstoke

This is what I'm expecting. Someone trademarking 3dfx since it has long expired and pushing out sub-par things with the name attached. Or it is all just a troll.
IF (and a very big IF) this isn't actually a troll, there is a whole host of cheap Chinese phones, TV's, smart watches etc... that can easily be rebranded if that's the path this ends up going down.

As for the GPU part they're going on about, I haven't a clue? Can't see them being a AIB partner to Nvidia or AMD, and damn well can't see how they've could've secretly been developing some new Voodoo card. Maybe some poor clone of the old cards for nostalgias sake?

Lucky8BB

Banned
It's nice to see even after two decades people still love to talk about 3dfx products/brand :). The difference between Software and Glide was just staggering, and I will always remember 3DFX.

0c25079b7f8c22bd64dc32612d89136a.jpg

QJJEybm.gif
3foO05n.jpg

It blew my mind when saw unreal 1 for the first time, and I still love to replay this game from time to time. Big open levels, beautiful water rendering, skybox (multitextures), reflections, "detailed textures". All of this was possible because of 3DFX cards :).

pBoup3B.jpg
sq47xWl.jpg
Z5Gg5Lv.jpg
KuHlT7D.jpg

m2u0vZF.jpg

vUWloyA.jpg

pJXM5YJ.jpg

FZuDO8y.jpg
3iXcUnf.jpg

Lucky8BB

Banned
Traded blows with nvidia??? Lol, 3dfx released 3 generations of voodoo cards even before nvidia rolled out their GeForce256 card, wich was their first real contender. The original Voodo card from 3dfx was literally the first GPU card worth it's salt back then. Their proprietary Glide api was way ahead of Direct3D.
I always thought TNT1 was already competitive, and when TNT2 launched more and more gamers started buying nvidia cards (including me), because of better picture quality (32 bit colors, higher resolution textures, no dithering blur). When geforce 256 launched it was game over for 3DFX, because no voodoo card was able to match geforce from that point.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
It's nice to see even after two decades people still love to talk about 3dfx products/brand :). The difference between Software and Glide was just staggering, and I will always remember 3DFX.

0c25079b7f8c22bd64dc32612d89136a.jpg

QJJEybm.gif
3foO05n.jpg

It blew my mind when saw unreal 1 for the first time, and I still love to replay this game from time to time. Big open levels, beautiful water rendering, skybox (multitextures), reflections, "detailed textures". All of this was possible because of 3DFX cards :).

pBoup3B.jpg
sq47xWl.jpg
Z5Gg5Lv.jpg
KuHlT7D.jpg

m2u0vZF.jpg

vUWloyA.jpg

pJXM5YJ.jpg

FZuDO8y.jpg
3iXcUnf.jpg
I remember the first time I installed my Voodoo3 3000 AGP (my first card ), the introductory screen as the camera flew round the castle in Unreal I thought we have gone past arcade machines power at home.

Alebrije

For those of you who are too young or too näive, 3DFX was a graphic card company that released the iconic VOODOO card, GPUs that traded blows with NVIDIA Geforce at the time.
Voodoo-Murders was also the name of a japanese wrestling group, which have between its members the wrestler Satoshi KOJIMA.
The brand name 3DFX and Voodoo product line were ABANDONED after the company was bought by NVIDIA.
It's happening guys!
Also the cards were made of metal gear solid components

I always thought TNT1 was already competitive, and when TNT2 launched more and more gamers started buying nvidia cards (including me), because of better picture quality (32 bit colors, higher resolution textures, no dithering blur). When geforce 256 launched it was game over for 3DFX, because no voodoo card was able to match geforce from that point.

People exaggerate the quality of Voodoo graphics.
In the very beginning was nice to see filtered textures, but it didn't worked actually well for some games, some looked better without the filtering. The advantage it had was industry support in the chaos that was the market during those days, but 3DFX chips became very obsolete very fast while the competition not only managed to achieve improvements to performance but also to visuals. Then Voodoo 4/5 came lacking some basic features, no wonder 3DFX died, Voodoo success was a one hit wonder.
People back in the Voodoo 3 days were better served buying low end TNT2 cards.

Last edited:

nerdface

Banned
Voodoo1 wasn’t worth it… cpu was doing transforms, then passed to the card on the outside of your machine to be textured and lit on the voodoo card.

Back then software rendering was vastly superior IMO. Quake1 looked far better on a cpu. Glquake had vaseline textures and lost per pixel lighting so the voodoo could do everything per vertex.

After that gpu’s were unavoidable, vaseline city, but it slowly got better. I had a voodoo banshee that performed with rock solid framerates. I loved that card so much I bought a voodoo3. AA was a cool, but expensive feature.

also rock solid performance, but the geforce2 did 32 bit color and still outperformed the voodoo3… quake3 looked fantastic on the gf2

I also bought a matrox card about the same time to play that shooter Expendable? with the badass embm water.

fun days to hobby around on pc

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Lb2_3.jpg
3DFX, Glide API, F16 fighter stick HOTAS, Jane’s Apache Longbow and teenage years with way too much time playing games.

Played the shit out of this game in coop with a friend.

950227-11_21_99.jpg

Then Tribes came.. I think I spent a whole summer in front of the monitor playing this. I came back to school in September so fucking white 🤣

nerdface

Banned
My jam was that heavy gear2 game activision put out, where you could build your mech then fight online

That game was fun as shit.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I do fondly remember my Voodoo2 but not enough to get excited about something that couldn't possibly be anything unique and advanced enough to compete. My guess is that if it is real, it will be nothing more than a Chinese AIB rebranding.

Top Bottom