• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graceful Explosion Machine |OT| Psychadelic Shmup Action

Murrah

Banned
I think i just came out of a trance

C83P1ydU0AE42qU.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation gaf, most fun I've had with a shmup in quite some time

jariw

I just randomly read the NL review about this game, then read some more reviews, and the positives in this thread finally made me decide to buy this. Seems like they really got nice title for portable mode here, with well-implemented HD rumble.

Would it be possible to include a link to the review thread in the OT?

Finally cracked my first top 10, at least for the moment (2-4). Ranks A and above are noticeably thinning out already in World 2, but that's to be expected when there is so much more that can hit you out of a combo as new enemies and stage elements are introduced. I'm getting B the first time through most stages but finding it easy to make dramatic improvements from there just by taking one or two fewer hits and carrying big multipliers over perfect phases, and I don't consider myself a decent shmup player in the slightest.

The corridors in this game are claustrophobic, but the restrictions on your movement seem to be the cornerstone of the design. From what I've seen thus far, the challenge is mainly in positioning and energy management, like banking up enough of a bar as you dash around a tight corner get in the right spot to take a clear shot at the beefier foes. (I haven't seen how that picks up in World 3 just yet, of course.) Energy drain kills me more than anything else, but I find it interesting that this is how the game rewards shot accuracy, both with the standard beam and the energy-consuming weapons: the more precise you are, and the less you spam, the less likely you are to put yourself in a position where you can't get out of trouble.

You can tell the designers anticipated quick and dirty resets as soon as the player takes a hit: the music goes on without interruption and you're back in the stage in a flash. Getting back on your feet from failure is totally frictionless, free of any stumbling blocks that make you want to put the game down rather than try again.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
GEM is the perfect acronym for this game, it has dethroned Fast RMX as my favorite Switch indie game.

Plainsong

Getting a little better now trying to max the multiplyers as high as I can. Handheld with headphones really zones you in. My scores are still terrible but I'm getting some A ratings now which is better. Love the music so chilled.

zenspider

Usually I don't like the Flash style 2D aesthetic, but this game feels so good to play, it all disappears into shmup heaven. Might top Resogun for me.

Only played on pro controller so far, but I think I'm HD-Rumble dumb. I can kind of feel it on FAST with the JCs and Blaster Master has some distinct feels, but so far there's just very little distinction. What should I be feeling? Bummed, because I love a good gimmick.

JonnyKong

Heh it's funny how your skill level can vary from day to day on this. Yesterday I really struggled to get past level 3-2. Today I've managed to reach 3-8 with not many issues.

Strange.

Just had a few more goes, I'm slowly improving with practice. Seeing some of the scores people are getting, its staggering! Some of you guys must be cyborgs or something!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I downloaded this last night and played some but not very good, played earlier today sms yesh, this game is the tits

Z..

Traditional shmup or twinstick shooter? For some reason I can't deal with twin sticks in a traditional shmup setting, despite loving both shmups and twin stick shooters...

Protome

I'm really enjoying this game but goddamn is music incredibly dull, generic and repetitive.

Traditional shmup or twinstick shooter? For some reason I can't deal with twin sticks in a traditional shmup setting, despite loving both shmups and twin stick shooters...

More old school, it doesn't use the right stick at all, uses the L buttons to turn 180 degrees.

Only played on pro controller so far, but I think I'm HD-Rumble dumb. I can kind of feel it on FAST with the JCs and Blaster Master has some distinct feels, but so far there's just very little distinction. What should I be feeling? Bummed, because I love a good gimmick.
It's used very subtly. You feel it most when using the Sniper Beam.

Heh it's funny how your skill level can vary from day to day on this. Yesterday I really struggled to get past level 3-2. Today I've managed to reach 3-8 with not many issues.

Strange.

My first run or two every time I hop back into the game is a disaster. It takes some warming up to get your mind back into the pace of the action.

How are style points calculated?

I don't know the numbers exactly, but I think they correspond to the bonus you get from swatting multiple enemies with a single hit of your special weapons.

Just hit #2 on 2-6, which is probably the highest I've ever been on a global leaderboard anywhere, though from the huge spread of the top 10 (and my top-100 finishes on other stages with sloppy, middling A-ranks) I don't think many players are cleaning up stages for S+ runs just yet.

So far I've been finding that when I do get S+ for clearing a whole stage in a perfect combo, I'm not deliberately gunning for it; it comes as a byproduct of trying to climb from B to A or A to S and restarting if I take an early hit, since if I don't rack up the multiplier early with at least one perfect phase, I already know a high score isn't going to happen.

Usually I don't like the Flash style 2D aesthetic, but this game feels so good to play, it all disappears into shmup heaven. Might top Resogun for me.

Same, I initially saw the style and thought little of it, at 13, I figured it was worth a try and it's grown on me so much. I'm so dead set on increasing my scores. My only complaint would be that I wish offline scores would save for upload later.

I'm not a scorehound in any way, but I've been loving it in this one. The mechanics are so well done.

oakenhild

Just got my first perfect combo and no hit run. Level 1-5 and ended up with 43x multiplier. Easily my best run, and nothing even close to it yet. (and still only ranked 51st!)

This game is great when you're locked in and pull something like that off.

Plainsong

43x multiplier fuck me I'm nowhere near that.

Edit - OK had another play this morning not flawless on 1-6 but I hit 29x multiplier. I'm finding it a lot easier to maintain now whilst learning to string enemies together. Love this game.

Vena

This game is pretty damn fun, difficulty definitely ramps up even just for playing without worrying about the multiplier.

jariw

Having icons for this game and Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove side by side is kind of confusing. Exactly the same color schemes.

Very good game so far, BTW.

Mdk7

I am having so much fun with this, seriously I'm addicted to it.
And I think it's probably the game I'm better at probably ever. And I feel I still could do better, the sense of performance is just incredible: you need to be focused, you need to act perfectly and to know the level by heart... and once you do that perfect run, after so many retries it feels soooo good.

I am experiencing a weird glitch tough: I can't see my friends in the leaderboards, and they can't see me as well.
Anyone experiencing this?

Felensis

Banned
I'm usually not the shmup type of gamer, but I do love fast-paced action games like the Platinum ones. Fun, addictive games with a high replayability. Because of backlog and Zelda I thought I'll pass on GEM. Thanks to GAF, I'm now nearly over the fence... °_°

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I need to consult some youtube vids to see how to play this game better. I'm getting D's all over the place.

This game is really good. Got to world 3 and its pretty tough, only got to level 3 so I went back and started S ranking the first world. Feels good. Still have yet to break into <100 on the leader boards :(

antibolo

Banned
Bought this game on a whim because I'm still in the "honeymoon phase" with my Switch where I'm buying any game that's not critically panned (ie. I skipped Has-Been Heroes).

Enjoying it so far. I like the mechanics of the four weapons.

General artistic direction is pretty boring though. Looks like a cheap Flash game.

Wow this game is such a blast. Handheld mode is perfect for it.
Though i felt an issue with docked mode the sound feels off but might be my end.

_PsiFire_

Damnit, I just got S+ on 1-4 at work and I want to upload my score but can't!!

Now I'll keep my Switch in sleep mode until I get home!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just realized I never use the missiles. Don't understand their use tbh.
but again I suck at this game
I guess it's like a bomb, when you're in a cloud of ships that you can't dash out away from.

mattiewheels

I use it to keep my combo going if I'm too far away from enemies. I use missiles and speed up to them so I don't lose the combo.
This is probably why I make straight D's, this requires a lot of smart thinking, of which I have none.

Can someone give me a little guidance on how to get better scores? I'm finding it a challenge to get at least a B before I move on to the next level.

I never played resogun.

Can someone give me a little guidance on how to get better scores? I'm finding it a challenge to get at least a B before I move on to the next level.

I never played resogun.

I'm sure others can explain better but I'll give it a shot.

Multiplier and being "Stylish" are the 2 main things that give you more points.

You want to keep your MP meter going. If you get hit or fail to kill an enemy in a certain amount of seconds, your MP will reset. If you look in the upper right corner where your MP is (within the hexagon), you'll see a timer that goes counter clockwise. It's very faint and blends in with the background. That's the time you have in between killing enemies before it resets.

You want to always make sure there's an enemy nearby so you can continue your MP. That's why sometimes it's good to lure them to each other. If there are enemies that spawn on either side of you but you notice they are somewhat far, you can get close enough where one spawn follows you and then pick them off one by one, while moving to the other spawn. So shoot one, slowly make your way to the opposite side, then shoot another. Keep doing that to group enough enemies in order to earn some stylish points.

Stylish points are when you kill a group of enemies in 1 shot, but this doesn't count when you use your blaster. Only for the other 3 special weapons. IMO, the Energy Sword is the best for this. Get some enemies together and you can kill, for example, 8 enemies with one swoop. Keep doing this when they're around you and you'll rack up the points.

Energy Sword is best when they are surrounding you.

Laser is OK. You can hold down the button then turn left and right to take out enemies. which will keep the stylish counter going, but if you Laser someone then take your finger off the button then start again, the stylish counter will end. Hope that makes sense.

Missiles can get you out of tight spots. My second favorite.

Don't forget to pick up the small, yellow items enemies drop when you kill them. That recharges your meter for the special weapons. They'll be times where you emtpy out the meter and it'll go red, which means you can't use any special weapon for a few moments until it automatically recharges (but not fully). Do your best not to reach that point but if you do, no biggie. Just use the blaster to pick off enemies one by one (slowly..like, shoot one and wait a second or 2 then shoot another) until it recharges.

There's some balancing you have to do between the Blaster and the other weapons. You don't want to kill everything with your Blaster because you want to group up as many of them, but you don't want to go crazy using your other weapons and end up killing your meter.

I hope this helps.

Top Bottom