• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graceful Explosion Machine |OT| Psychadelic Shmup Action

I did this in Canada, tried twice, card has the same pending transaction charge twice. Called Nintendo, they told me to call the bank to see if there's a hold. I called my bank, there's no hold and they told me to call back Nintendo with authorization numbers. Called Nintendo, they can't use the authorization numbers and told me ... "well the charges should drop off in 24 hours, if it doesn't call us back. I'd try downloading it from the eShop on the console instead".

Ugh. I ended up doing that so I have three chargers on my credit card now lol. Hopefully, they'll reverse the other two. That said, shitty way for me to try out the web version of eShop. I wonder if it's a Canada thing or what.

Anyway, downloaded it at work. Can't wait to try it out at home.
I've bought from the Canada web store several times and i don't even live in Canada.

I'm working on a written review but I will say this: Based on what i've played, i'm not impressed. Graceful Explosion Machine is caught between faithfully recreating the old school shoot em' up setup one would find in Defender and crafting a more subversive experience a la Resogun that, mechanically, becomes tedious in a rapid amount of time.
The attempt to translate achieving a high score with a skillful racking up of combos a la Devil May Cry is promising on paper but the end result is hurt by the unending wave of enemies that blend all too well in with the background. For a game trying to be all about skillfully making use of all the tools at one's disposal to rack up a high multiplier and score, it does a really poor job of making all the weapons useful beyond very specific scenarios, save for the sword which is particularly easy to abuse given enemies' tendency to crowd together and around the ship.

Moreso than Resogun, the game it's most reminiscent of is TxK with its stimulating visuals and adherence to arcade sensibilities, the difference being that GEM lacks the satisfying simplicity of TxK's arcade-like design while being necessarily frustrating by dropping your score down to zero when you lose a single life whereas TxK would let you continue a level with the score and lives you held before you lost all of the latter.

However stimulating its visuals may be when they aren't hiding enemies in the background, Graceful Explosion Machine lacks both the momentum of Resogun and the superbly simple approach to design of TxK. If you're a perfectionist to whom even the most minor screwup will cause you to reluctantly restart a level, you will hate this game. I'll be uploading footage later today so those who are interested can get a look at the first few levels but needless to say they did little to impress me.

I don't think I could disagree more with this. I haven't played TxK though, so I can't comment on those comparisons.

What I expected:
A competent score attack game to play when I only have a short amount of downtime.

What I got:
Resogun, reborn.

This game is AWESOME!

Cerium

The attempt to translate achieving a high score with a skillful racking up of combos a la Devil May Cry is promising on paper but the end result is hurt by the unending wave of enemies that blend all too well in with the background. For a game trying to be all about skillfully making use of all the tools at one's disposal to rack up a high multiplier and score, it does a really poor job of making all the weapons useful beyond very specific scenarios, save for the sword which is particularly easy to abuse given enemies' tendency to crowd together and around the ship.
I disagree with this completely. I feel like the only way you can believe the sword is easily abused is if you have not reached the third world and beyond; leaning too hard on melee in those levels will end very badly. There are enemies that will punish you for destroying them at close range, there are enemies that are good at darting into the deadzone between the sword hitbox and you, not to mention projectile and area of effect damage that the sword will not save you from. You will absolutely need every weapon at your disposal to make it through let alone achieve a high score.

If your approach is to run up near enemies and spam the sword I can see why you might believe that enemies blend in too much (I assume you mean the explosion effects because the enemies with their vibrant colors actually stand out quite clearly from the background) but that is one of the inherent drawbacks to remaining at close range. Ideally you should be taking advantage of your dash and darting in and out as the situation calls for.

If you're a perfectionist to whom even the most minor screwup will cause you to reluctantly restart a level, you will hate this game. I'll be uploading footage later today so those who are interested can get a look at the first few levels but needless to say they did little to impress me.
Your opinion is perfectly legitimate, of course, but while the game can be punishing if you're chasing a high score or a deathless run, I don't believe it is ever unfair. This is a skill based game.

#1 on 1-1

j6bByfi.jpg

..and there's still room to improve. It all depends on how many enemies you get in one energy sword attack.

During the first phase, I THINK the highest score is 200. There are times you can get a 1.2x MP during the first 2 enemies but it doesn't happen all the time.

When the 2nd phase starts (when you open up more of the area), your MP resets back to 0, so you can take your time and lure the first 2 groups together. After that, it's a matter of grouping them together, using a single blaster shot to keep your MP going.

I'm working on a written review but I will say this: Based on what i've played, i'm not impressed. Graceful Explosion Machine is caught between faithfully recreating the old school shoot em' up setup one would find in Defender and crafting a more subversive experience a la Resogun that, mechanically, becomes tedious in a rapid amount of time.

Moreso than Resogun, the game it's most reminiscent of is TxK with its stimulating visuals and adherence to arcade sensibilities, the difference being that GEM lacks the satisfying simplicity of TxK's arcade-like design while being necessarily frustrating by dropping your score down to zero when you lose a single life whereas TxK would let you continue a level with the score and lives you held before you lost all of the latter.

However stimulating its visuals may be when they aren't hiding enemies in the background, Graceful Explosion Machine lacks both the momentum of Resogun and the superbly simple approach to design of TxK. If you're a perfectionist to whom even the most minor screwup will cause you to reluctantly restart a level, you will hate this game. I'll be uploading footage later today so those who are interested can get a look at the first few levels but needless to say they did little to impress me.

I appreciate your opinion but I completely disagree. I'm having a blast with this and and I don't mind restarting levels when aiming for a perfect run, it's incredibly addicting and makes the victory even more rewarding. I loved Resogun but this feels like a step up to me. I'm not quite sure what you meant by this lacking the momentum of Resogun? If anything I think I prefer the pacing and faster gameplay of GEM.

jacobeid

Banned
Just played the game for about 30 minutes. Just what I thought, this will be a perfect lunch break game. Love the flow of combat so far.

Uhhh...I've had zero problems with the enemies blending in and no issues with the multiplier reset. This is my first run on world one:

image.jpg

I'm either a GEM savant, or maybe the mechanics are just sorta easy to grasp, but hard to master?

Uhhh...I've had zero problems with the enemies blending in and no issues with the multiplier reset. This is my first run on world one:

image.jpg

I'm either a GEM savant, or maybe the mechanics are just sorta easy to grasp, but hard to master?
Later worlds ramp up the difficulty but you're certainly right, it's easy to grasp but hard to master. I've also not had any problems distinguishing enemies.

If anything the mechanics of GEM become second nature after a while, you go into a zen like state and just watch all the pretty colours fly by as everything explodes.

Nosgotham

I'm actually glad this game is unforgiving in that regard. Will you be uploading footage of you playing with your review?

Starting 1-2 now.

Different enemies give higher MP.

When you Dash, the MP meter pauses for a quick second so you can regroup.

So, what causes you to lose your multiplier? I assumed it was taking damage but it seems to be resetting occasionally whether I take damage or not.

Taking damage and not killing enemies fast enough.

Kill one enemy then look at the MP in the corner. You'll see the timer going counter clockwise. It's a little hard to see. You'll have to get another kill within those few seconds or else your MP will drop.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
So, what causes you to lose your multiplier? I assumed it was taking damage but it seems to be resetting occasionally whether I take damage or not.

It's on a cool down every time you kill an enemy, look a the top right hand corner and you'll see it slowly depleting. You need to constantly be blowing things up.

Edit:beaten x2

Fisty

I think Nintendo secured an actual timed exclusivity for this? I don't know what the original lead platform was, but this feels like such a natural fit for the Switch regardless. I hope it does well!

For... this? I doubt it, but it's great nonetheless. Was very impressed when I played it, definitely got the Defender/Resogun vibe from it

For... this? I doubt it, but it's great nonetheless. Was very impressed when I played it, definitely got the Defender/Resogun vibe from it
Did you watch the Nindies Presentation? Lots of Indies are timed exclusive or exclusive to Switch.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Have to keep destroying enemies. If you take too long the multiplier resets.

It's on a cool down every time you kill an enemy, look a the top right hand corner and you'll see it slowly depleting. You need to constantly be blowing things up.

Edit:beaten x2

Gotcha. Thought it might be something like that but I'm too busy spazzing out at the enemies to notice.

CazTGG

I don't think I could disagree more with this. I haven't played TxK though, so I can't comment on those comparisons.

If you have a vita, I highly recommend it. If not...blame Atari for it not being on the PS4, VR, etc.

I appreciate your opinion but I completely disagree. I'm having a blast with this and and I don't mind restarting levels when aiming for a perfect run, it's incredibly addicting and makes the victory even more rewarding. I loved Resogun but this feels like a step up to me. I'm not quite sure what you meant by this lacking the momentum of Resogun? If anything I think I prefer the pacing and faster gameplay of GEM.

What I mean by momentum is the pacing and patterns found in your typical level. In Resogun, enemy patterns are highly specific and exceptionally rewarding with power ups hidden behind correctly vanquishing them and managing to drop off the rescued humans that are unlocked as a result before repeating. It rewards one for skillful play while organically providing them a new challenge that continuously flows from one to the next. With GEM, the foes will randomly spawn in a given level, which doesn't allow for the same type of preparation and skill one finds in Resogun's more focused levels given how inconsistent their positions may be and the ship itself feels less...fluid? This might just be my memory playing tricks on me as it's been a while since I last played Resogun but moving the ship (both of them) around in that game felt more satisfying given the synergy weapons shared with dashing, as said dash could damage incoming foes while simultaneously getting one out of a tight spot. Dashing away from a swarm of foes in GEM and flanking them from behind doesn't give anywhere near the same level of satisfaction as it did to dash from one side to the other in order to save a human in Resogun, especially when GEM's dash doesn't share Resogun's ability to dodge projectiles (which i'm aware the sword/shield can do but that weapon ends up breaking any momentum one may have while using the dash) and is overall less useful for getting out of difficult situations.

I'm actually glad this game is unforgiving in that regard. Will you be uploading footage of you playing with your review?

I recorded the first hour or so of my playtime but i'll be recording more in the off-chance I decide to do a video review (the footage is still currently processing as I type). I will say it took me some time to get used to the controls during the early portions but it's not too hard to wrap one's head around them in the same way it takes time to appreciate the depth of, say, the mechanics in the Kirby games. I envy those who are enjoying it since I was looking forward to it myself but I find it hard to bring myself to keep playing it.

P.S. Yes it's a timed exclusive. Don't know for how long but my guess is six months will be the longest it stays off the PS4 or Steam.

Dinjoralo

Just trying this... It looks like something that'll totally be my jam. Though the emoji's cycling in the corner when you do well upsets my sensibilities.

Just trying this... It looks like something that'll totally be my jam. Though the emoji's cycling in the corner when you do well upsets my sensibilities.
I actually don't know what you're talking about, sounds like I need to pay closer attention. Or maybe I'm best off being oblivious to them.

atmuh

I would say this game is pretty OK. After reading so many comparisons to Resogun I decided to get it as I loved Resogun but if anything this feels like a less exciting version of it (missing some of the best features like co op). The way the camera moves is also kinda making my eyes hurt. It's still decent but I wouldn't say it's great by any stretch.

J@hranimo

Banned
Damn, all these impressions have me excited for this :D

...but I'm not done with Snake Pass yet and I'm not near my Switch to finish it :x. I'll get to this soon though!

Trying Score Attack for World 1. It's under Challenge Mode.

You go through 7 levels (1-3 until Warp 1).

Your score is recorded for each stage and your multiplier carries over.

No lives so if you get hit 3 times, it's game over. At times, you will get a powerup that restores 1 bar of health. You don't gain any health when you reach the next stage.

I think the only way to upload a score is if you beat the whole thing...and from the looks of it, only 4 people have done so at the moment.

Score Attack might be the mode I spend the most time in...but this makes me want some sort of survival mode. 1 HP and try to survive as long as you can. Always been a fan of that.

There's another challenge mode: 1-W+. This also calls for you beating it before your score gets recorded. No lives as well. Many more enemies to deal with. You're just surviving/killing all enemies.

In terms of weapons, it's been energy sword and blaster for the most part. On occasion, I'll use missiles but the sniper beam doesn't get as much use, unless it's against the tougher enemies. It IS a long range weapon and I should learn to use it if I'm far away to keep my MP up, but I can just dash to get back in the action.

I feel the crystals you pick up should have more use. Maybe they should be added to your score? Or when you collect a certain amount, your MP goes up a little?

Loving the game. Like I said, if they can add some sort of survival mode, that would be awesome. As it stands, it's definitely a great game. Leaderboards will keep it alive and I can see it having a small, dedicated community, especially during the early days of the Switch.

At this price point, it's definitely worth picking up. I may double dip when it comes to PS4 so I can compete with friends.

CazTGG

I actually don't know what you're talking about, sounds like I need to pay closer attention. Or maybe I'm best off being oblivious to them.

In the bottom-left corner, you'll notice it cycle through various emoji like the crying emoji, clap emoji, etc. depending on how well you're doing or when you get hit.

EDIT: Gameplay's up!

Jon

This game is really good. I am terrible at shmups but they are fun, and I enjoy just going for PBs instead of worrying about world rankings. Just a great game for the Switch to play in short bursts at home or on the go.

Really glad I picked this up.
Having a ton of fun so far. It's been too long since I played a shmup and now I'm feeling the fever again. Might have to grab Alpha Mission 2 later on as well.

watershed

Banned
I'm happy to say the game is as fun as it looks. The only power I haven't quite figured out is dash because the dash seems to end sooner than I expect and I hurt myself running into enemies. The other 4 attacks are a lot of fun to use in the midst of hectic fights. The HD rumble is not very special though.

Downloading now, honestly it kind of looks like uninspired in videos, I'm not seeing how it differentiates itself from games like Resogun or Geometry Wars besides the art style and I'm not crazy about that, but it's one of my favorite types of games and I want more stuff to play on the Switch so I'll give it a shot.

I'm really interested to see how big a deal HD Rumble is, this is the first game I have that supports it.

Downloading now, honestly it kind of looks like uninspired in videos, I'm not seeing how it differentiates itself from games like Resogun or Geometry Wars besides the art style and I'm not crazy about that, but it's one of my favorite types of games and I want more stuff to play on the Switch so I'll give it a shot.

I'm really interested to see how big a deal HD Rumble is, this is the first game I have that supports it.

It's pretty subtle in this game. Don't expect anything amazing.

qko

Something about this game caught my attention when I saw it in the Nindies Direct. I'm enjoying it so far, but wouldn't call it a 10/10. 13 bucks may be a sweet price point since I love a good shmup with a forgiving learning curve. Every stage is starting to get harder, but only slightly moreso than the previous level. I really like that.

I personally don't like the heavy focus on leaderboards, but am fine with how it's used. Would like more weapons, although I'm only on like the 6th level of the first world so I don't know if there are more later. This is a decent quality game and will probably be my filler game for the rest of the month until Mario Kart. If you are on the fence like I was but are still super curious about it, I think you'll like this game more than you think you will.
Would be sweet if they gave us a split screen multiplayer option down the line, hoping for more levels since the leaderboard thing doesn't appeal to me and I feel like I'm gonna finish this in a week or two.

Wow, glad I decided to pick this up after all. I bought in more for the promise of Platinum-like flow than for the shmup genre, and this game scratches the itch. I'm not through the first world yet as I'm making an effort to get every stage up to at least A-rank before moving on (improvement happens rapidly this way), but I'm already liking how the map geometry occasionally dictates your weapon choice (if, for instance, you're desperate to reach around a corner as quickly as you can before your combo falls off). The sound design and rumble definitely make it feel horrible to take a hit, and I'm learning the hard way to budget my weapon power and watch the bar, since nearly every hit I'm taking comes from expecting to direct my missiles or land a sword hit, and diving headfirst into trouble instead.

I'm not clear on how the Nearby leaderboard is set up (whether it's based on IP, and within what range) but it looks manageable and within my reach in a way the global leaderboard doesn't; from what I'm seeing, and bearing in mind this is with the day-one player base, barely clearing the bar for S rank is enough to land me in the top 30.

Top Bottom