• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graceful Explosion Machine |OT| Psychadelic Shmup Action

BiggNife

"If the popular boy band Smash Mouth made a space shooter, I'd imagine it would turn out something like this."

What does this even mean? Smash Mouth isn't a boy band, and they're absolutely terrible.
I am still trying to wrap my head around this sentence because it literally makes zero sense

Great OT, OP! You crank these things out like its nothing.

This will be my birthday present to myself today. I'm gonna wrap myself in my awesome blanket my mom crocheted for me, play video games all day and pretend I'm 13 instead of 28.

Is your birthday today? AND you turned 28?!

If so.......MEET YOUR TWIN! I turned 28 today as well :)

P.S. Happy Birthday! I also am buying this as soon as I get home from work.

Surely short lived but I'm currently #1 on 1-6. Wasn't a perfect run, got hit and lost my multiplier 3 times in the second wave.
9CSvT8r.jpg

I found We Are Doomed to be kinda fun but a bit... shallow? I dunno. Something was off about it.

Interested to see how this one turns out. Hope it makes its way to Vita eventually.

Based off the hour I've played so far I think it's better. We'll see how it holds up as time goes on.

Would you say it is fast paced and twitch based like Resogun/cave stuff or more slow and physics/strategy based like Pixeljunk or whatever that open world old school anime style shooter on PS4 was( can't think of the damn name)

Doorman

I'm in for this. Not normally a shmup guy, but this game's use of color caught my attention immediately and the weapon system is intriguing. Seems like a perfect compliment for handheld mode on lunch breaks or short trips.

The only thing I don't really understand is the random emoji icon in the corner? It's goofy and I don't inherently dislike it but it strikes me as a very odd addition to the UI.

Would you say it is fast paced and twitch based like Resogun/cave stuff or more slow and physics/strategy based like Pixeljunk or whatever that open world old school anime style shooter on PS4 was( can't think of the damn name)

It's really around the same pace as Resogun, mechanically they are very similar games.

I'll upload a little bit of gameplay soon, just moving some files around on my computer.

Bought it right when it went up and am having fun with it. Shit gets intense right away, which I love. I'm struggling with the changing directions though, since I keep wanting to turn right with R and left with L instead of using L for both like you're supposed to. That'll go away in another level or two.

willoneill

Neo Member
Been playing this since it came out at noon - it's very, very good. Has that sharp and intense balance that is the mark of a dev who really understands what makes these games fun. It's tough but very fair.

This is the first must-buy indie game of the Switch, no question...!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yep. You can view nearby, global and friends.

Ah, right, a question: how deep is the high score ranking? Just curious to see if it could be a way to guesstimate the total amount of owners :p

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Very nice use of HD Rumble. It's subtle but definitely noticeable. I'm only in stage 2, phase 2, liking a lot what I played so far, I feel very good about it.

Ah, right, a question: how deep is the high score ranking? Just curious to see if it could be a way to guesstimate the total amount of owners :p

It doesn't look like you can scroll on the leaderboard screen which sucks :c You can see your score and the 10 around you and you can see the top 10.

My lowest rank is 1010th which is on the tutorial level where I imagine a lot of people have the same score.

Played the first few stages. Wow, this game is legit. I feel like this game captures what I love most about shmups extremely well and that's the flashiness and adrenaline.

Weird...it can't download while in sleep mode? I thought that would have been the whole point.
It's so that you don't have to go through the slightly improved but still inconvenient Eshop itself, at least in my case.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It doesn't look like you can scroll on the leaderboard screen which sucks :c You can see your score and the 10 around you and you can see the top 10.

My lowest rank is 1010th which is on the tutorial level where I imagine a lot of people have the same score.

Oh well, that reminds me of Volkampf, The Pursuer stats for Xenoblade Chronicles X. Well, sort of. We know it sold 1,000 copies at least :p

jonno394

Is there much variety in levels, enemies etc as you progress? Game looks like it could get very repetitive very quickly.

hiim_haz

Banned
Surprisingly easy to buy from the web site.
eAd77X9.png

I did this in Canada, tried twice, card has the same pending transaction charge twice. Called Nintendo, they told me to call the bank to see if there's a hold. I called my bank, there's no hold and they told me to call back Nintendo with authorization numbers. Called Nintendo, they can't use the authorization numbers and told me ... "well the charges should drop off in 24 hours, if it doesn't call us back. I'd try downloading it from the eShop on the console instead".

Ugh. I ended up doing that so I have three chargers on my credit card now lol. Hopefully, they'll reverse the other two. That said, shitty way for me to try out the web version of eShop. I wonder if it's a Canada thing or what.

Anyway, downloaded it at work. Can't wait to try it out at home.

Is there much variety in levels, enemies etc as you progress? Game looks like it could get very repetitive very quickly.

Levels do introduce a few gimmicks such as a laser that slowly scrolls through the level and each world has a different theme. Generally speaking though the gameplay is what it is.

Robin64

Gorgeous game, tight controls, great weapons. Love it. And on that screen, this game pops. Perfect game for my handheld mode gaming.

This has a Platinum-esque flow once you get into it. Last non-Platinum game that gave me this feeling was Doom.

That's the comparison I was waiting to hear about. I'm on the fence about picking this up, as I'm not much of a shmup player but took notice of this game because of its combo-stringing similarities to Kamiya/Platinum shmup stages.

It does make me wish for standardized medal benchmarks of some sort, though, as I find that straight-up leaderboards quickly become discouraging if you land in the middle of a pack of unknown size and feel as though it's impossible to work your way further up on a scale that is meaningfully reflected. Are the global/regional/local leaderboards the only feedback on your progress?

Top Bottom