• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graceful Explosion Machine |OT| Psychadelic Shmup Action

Cerium

So I'm on the second world and I think this might be my favorite game to play in handheld mode. It's fast paced, slick, responsive, and challenging. Perfect for short bursts of play. Enemy variety and intensity ramps up over time. This might sound strange but it kind of feels like a Platinum character action game in 2D if that makes any sense; it gives me that same fluid action feeling like I'm conducting music or something. It feels so profoundly right on a handheld. It might even be my personal favorite nindie so far.

It's just a straight up good game and one of the finest Switch (timed) exclusives.

This has a Platinum-esque flow once you get into it. Last non-Platinum game that gave me this feeling was Doom.
Exactly this. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

NateDrake

Once you get into the flow and rhythm the game plays nicely. But that damn ZL to flip is still messing with me a bit. So far I have the 8th highest score on 1-3 with a total just north of 132,000. I could improve upon it a bit. Had a perfect run with a multiplier of 41x.

This has a Platinum-esque flow once you get into it. Last non-Platinum game that gave me this feeling was Doom.

NintendoLife's Mitch Vogel agrees: "Once you get into the thick of things, gameplay takes on the feeling of something that's rather like a cross of Bayonetta and an arcade shooter."

Played it some more. I was wrong about the rumble, I was just so focused on what I was doing I blocked it out before. It is actually decent.

This is hard, but satisfying. If anyone is on the fence - buy it!

Strider

Game is really fun to play... Looks great on the handheld screen too. It's early so I'm sure I'll drop a ton but at the moment I'm top 10 on a couple of the levels I've just played so at least there's that lol

C8wS7BFUQAA7i2T.jpg:large

Anyway game is great for the asking price of only $13... Definitely recommend to fans of games like Resogun.

Game is really fun to play... Looks great on the handheld screen too. It's early so I'm sure I'll drop a ton but at the moment I'm top 10 on a couple of the levels I've just played so at least there's that lol

Anyway game is great for the asking price of only $13... Definitely recommend to fans of games like Resogun.
Hey, I'm Jon!

Not too tricky to top the charts at the moment, I'm sure that will change in a few days.

I'll parrot the Bayonetta comparison, feels a lot like that. The dash, slash and combo timer feels right out of a Platinum game.

The HD rumble when you use the beam attack feels really nice and subtle. Like it starts as a dull buzz in the base of the joycon while charging, to a pretty violent buzz towards the top once it starts firing. This is the kind of implementation I enjoy. Non intrusive and adds just a bit to the experience.

Strider

Hey, I'm Jon!

Not too tricky to top the charts at the moment, I'm sure that will change in a few days.

Ah cool. I saw your name on the leaderboards for quite a few of the levels....And yea I definitely don't consider myself good or anything so I know I'm gonna drop waaaay down after a few days lol

Ah cool. I saw your name on the leaderboards for quite a few of the levels....And yea I definitely don't consider myself good or anything so I know I'm gonna drop waaaay down after a few days lol
That's the best part of early adopting a niche game, we can pretend we're pros for a day aha.

phanphare

Banned
I'll parrot the Bayonetta comparison, feels a lot like that. The dash, slash and combo timer feels right out of a Platinum game.

The HD rumble when you use the beam attack feels really nice and subtle. Like it starts as a dull buzz in the base of the joycon while charging, to a pretty violent buzz towards the top once it starts firing. This is the kind of implementation I enjoy. Non intrusive and adds just a bit to the experience.

nice, this is type of hd rumble that I'm looking for

JonnyKong

Even though I can see the game has flaws, I'm completely addicted. Playing it is just mesmerising. What an absolute hidden gem.

Ozium

I am going to pick this up soon but just want to say the typo in the title of this thread is really annoying.

Type40

Weird...it can't download while in sleep mode? I thought that would have been the whole point.

Yea, sleep mode pretty much means it is turned off. Unlike the 3DS rest mode.

I did this in Canada, tried twice, card has the same pending transaction charge twice. Called Nintendo, they told me to call the bank to see if there's a hold. I called my bank, there's no hold and they told me to call back Nintendo with authorization numbers. Called Nintendo, they can't use the authorization numbers and told me ... "well the charges should drop off in 24 hours, if it doesn't call us back. I'd try downloading it from the eShop on the console instead".

Ugh. I ended up doing that so I have three chargers on my credit card now lol. Hopefully, they'll reverse the other two. That said, shitty way for me to try out the web version of eShop. I wonder if it's a Canada thing or what.

Anyway, downloaded it at work. Can't wait to try it out at home.

Brutal, Yea I'm in the US. Sounds like the website(which is in the US) Isn't cool with Canadian cards.

JonnyKong

Oh em gee I made a top ten!

n3WXuRd.jpg

I'm just going to cherish this moment, even if it's obviously because not many people have played this level yet haha.

Hope you're all enjoying my reflection in the screen as I took the photo.

oakenhild

This is a good game, particularly considering the price tag. Granted, I'm only through 1-3 and that took more deaths than I'd like to admit.

I usually don't buy games in this genre, but maybe I should try more after playing this one a bit.

This is a good game, particularly considering the price tag. Granted, I'm only through 1-3 and that took more deaths than I'd like to admit.

I usually don't buy games in this genre, but maybe I should try more after playing this one a bit.
Resogun is great if you want something similar.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I've not got a rating above D+ so far!

I'm enjoying this, but apparently I suck at it! How do you get more "style points"?

Not sure but I think it has something to do with weapon combos. Do the sword thing while launching missles and end it with a beam ray. That sort of thing.

JonnyKong

Fuuuuuuuuckk the warp levels are tough!

Anyway, that's two worlds down, time for bed.

Edit: ha I didn't mean to copy the poster above by saying time for bed, purely coincidental I swear!

Doorman

Finally playing this for a bit, though unfortunately my Pro Controller decided now would be a good time to require charging, so I'm going Joycons for now which feels a bit trickier for this. :p

There are definitely some points where I feel like I'm in a good groove and things really click, and there's something very...instinctual about it? Not sure how to describe it, but it's like the need to actually think about what you're doing fades away at points and everything just flows really naturally.

...And then I'll do an awkward ZL turn and ram into one of the small basic enemies that I thought would have died but just barely snuck around my blaster shots. Dammit I'm still pretty bad at this after all.

Just downloaded and I've been playing the first level over and over, lol.

This is a damn good game!

I've been trying to get a hold on the scoring. I currently have 3000 on 1-1.

For each enemy you kill, your MP goes by .1

You want to kill enemies so your MP doesn't drop. It'll also drop if you get hit. Its a little hard to see the timer for the MP since it blends into the environment. That's one minor thing I would ask for them to change. Maybe make it a little brighter?

If there are 2 enemy spawns but they are a little far from each other, you can shoot one enemy at a time (to keep your MP going) and try to lure the 2 spawns together. Just like Resogun.

In terms of the Energy Sword, I think the more enemies you kill in one attack, the better your score. So try to group as many enemies as you can before using it. That's where trying to lure them comes into play.

I'm going to keep playing 1-1 to see if I can improve but man, this game is so good.

Edit: just got 3104. My name is EspanaJeff on the leaderboards, btw

So this game is pretty glorious in 60fps...smooth as silk, and with the amount of chaos on screen I can't even imagine playing this at a choppy frame rate.

Fun as hell so far.

goldenpp72

I had a quick question, I don't have internet all the time where I am right now, if I get a good score can I upload it later or must it be done at the time?

Nosgotham

Comparisons to Resogun is a dangerous game. Resogun is a classic.

If it's half as good as Resogun, I'm in.

I never could enjoy resogun that much. I don't know why. I'm already enjoying this more. It's scratching that geometry wars itch from 360 launch when I was addicted to it .

kevin1025

Banned
This game is reminding me of a cross between Pixeljunk Shooter and Pixeljunk Sidescroller.

Really liking the game so far, it certainly gets challenging the deeper in you get.

And from a Canadian developer, no less!

Fisty

Only on Switch right now? Crazy, I played this on PS4 at PSX, can't believe he was able to get a Switch version out first!

Doorman

Only on Switch right now? Crazy, I played this on PS4 at PSX, can't believe he was able to get a Switch version out first!

I think Nintendo secured an actual timed exclusivity for this? I don't know what the original lead platform was, but this feels like such a natural fit for the Switch regardless. I hope it does well!

CazTGG

I'm working on a written review but I will say this: Based on what i've played, i'm not impressed. Graceful Explosion Machine is caught between faithfully recreating the old school shoot em' up setup one would find in Defender and crafting a more subversive experience a la Resogun that, mechanically, becomes tedious in a rapid amount of time.
The attempt to translate achieving a high score with a skillful racking up of combos a la Devil May Cry is promising on paper but the end result is hurt by the unending wave of enemies that blend all too well in with the background. For a game trying to be all about skillfully making use of all the tools at one's disposal to rack up a high multiplier and score, it does a really poor job of making all the weapons useful beyond very specific scenarios, save for the sword which is particularly easy to abuse given enemies' tendency to crowd together and around the ship.

Moreso than Resogun, the game it's most reminiscent of is TxK with its stimulating visuals and adherence to arcade sensibilities, the difference being that GEM lacks the satisfying simplicity of TxK's arcade-like design while being necessarily frustrating by dropping your score down to zero when you lose a single life whereas TxK would let you continue a level with the score and lives you held before you lost all of the latter.

However stimulating its visuals may be when they aren't hiding enemies in the background, Graceful Explosion Machine lacks both the momentum of Resogun and the superbly simple approach to design of TxK. If you're a perfectionist to whom even the most minor screwup will cause you to reluctantly restart a level, you will hate this game. I'll be uploading footage later today so those who are interested can get a look at the first few levels but needless to say they did little to impress me.

Top Bottom