• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firewire said:
God of War 3 is confirmed for March 2010. There is no way in hell Sony releases GT5 in the same window as GOW3.

If thats the case, then GT5 would need to come in December, Sony has one release in October (Uncharted 2), November (Ratchet & Clank), nothing in December. January or February has to be Heavy Rain or White Knight Chronicles (1st party? or not?)

AndyD

aka andydumi
idahoblue said:
Shit, forgot about that. You're right, no way they go head to head. That means Jan, which makes no sense, you would want the holiday sales, surely. Alright, November this year, or not until May 2010.

I really have no fucking clue.
:lol

It could be Xmas day like some previous titles. It wont be crazy holiday sales, but it will be a few good months ahead of GOW3.

Firewire

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
If thats the case, then GT5 would need to come in December, Sony has one release in October (Uncharted 2), November (Ratchet & Clank), nothing in December. January or February has to be Heavy Rain or White Knight Chronicles (1st party? or not?)

Well Sony had MAG slated for December I believe, but that's been recently pushed into 2010. January or February doesn't help Sony in terms of increasing sales from GT5. If a slim is coming its coming this fall and there is no other title better suited to push the slim than the greatly anticipated GT5. Add to the fact the recent statements about GT5 being pretty much finished and ready to go and you have your monster new slim and GT5 ready for x-mass.

Believe!

Niks

all this talk about the slim... hmm

Could it be that Sony are the ones actually holding back GT5 release, and not PD?!
Going by what Kaz has recently said, then GT5 is already finished and they have 5 months to polish it?

Nice.

offshore

Yeah it will be Sony holding it back to wait for the slim....but 5 months to polish it is fine with me.

Turn 10 have 3 months to polish something that wasn't even optimized for E3.

Firewire

Banned
Fodaquinhentos said:
GT 4 came out in March.

GT2
JPN: December '99
N.A: December '99
Europe: January 2000

GT3 A-Spec
JPN: April '01
N.A. & Europe: July '01

There is no historical data to back up a March date, or any other date!

Askia47

-viper- said:
Amar said GT5 will be released worldwide this time around. Makes sense for a December release.

I'm still skeptical its coming out this year. I hope it comes out but GT release dates tend to slip alot.

offshore said:
Because with every PS3 they sell, Sony are still losing money. Why in the world would they release their biggest, system selling franchise when they would lose money on every PS3 they sold?

It's obvious what's happening. Sony are waiting for the slim, where they will make money on each unit sold, but also probably until margins have increased even more, to a point where they can bundle the hell out of GT5, get solid sales, and make a handy profit at the same time...and if that means waiting until next year, I'm pretty sure that's what they'll do.

Sony have been their own masters this time, they're not getting goaded into anything by anybody.

Sorry but you are cutting them way too much slack

for the past few years they have been adrift strategically and have made some frankly weird choices franchise wise... putting resources into a raft of unproven titles and leaving top-name PS2 games in the dirt...

This year they have their act together a bit more, but to suggest that they are setting the pace is simply untrue. Nothing we have seen so far suggests they are about to turn anything around in spectacular fashion.

I really hope they do have GT5 out this year, because A, I really want to play it... B, they do kinda need it... and C, with MS touting forza as 'the racing game of the generation' GT could lose some of it's status.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
offshore is simply saying they set their own pace. They're doing things when it suits them and not any earlier.

I think sticking things out for 2 years without a pricecut is ample evidence that they're happy to march to their own beat.

I don't think he's cutting them slack, he's just saying the obvious - that sony will release GT5 when it suits them.

offshore

Thanks, gofreak.

That's what I was trying to say. Sony are now doing things their own way; no amount of pressure from 3rd parties is going to budge them price wise, which leads to your next point...

NinjaFusion said:
putting resources into a raft of unproven titles and leaving top-name PS2 games in the dirt...

That's what Sony now have to do, because so many top name PS2 titles are going multiplat (MGS, DMC, FF, GTA etc etc etc). It's no good for Sony to say "look at these titles, yeah they might now be multiplatform, but ignore that." which all leads back to why they are not budging on price, because they are moving away from depending heavily on third parties.

Don't twist my words, of course 3rd parties are still important to Sony, but they're clearly not as important to Sony as they once were, hence why Sony's E3 was mainly about its own games, and why Sony know that GT5 and GOW3 are the PS3's most heavily anticpated games, and planning for when they both drop.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
gofreak said:
offshore is simply saying they set their own pace. They're doing things when it suits them and not any earlier.

I think sticking things out for 2 years without a pricecut is ample evidence that they're happy to march to their own beat.

I don't think he's cutting them slack, he's just saying the obvious - that sony will release GT5 when it suits them.

You really think it's because they're happy marching to their own beat? I'd say it's because they have no freaking choice other than deal with the sales they get at the price they have. That statement is generous at best. If Sony could afford to cut price without destroying the company, they would do it in a heartbeat. They are marching to the financial drum, not their own drum.

squatingyeti said:
You really think it's because they're happy marching to their own beat? I'd say it's because they have no freaking choice other than deal with the sales they get at the price they have. That statement is generous at best. If Sony could afford to cut price without destroying the company, they would do it in a heartbeat. They are marching to the financial drum, not their own drum.

That is their own drum.

offshore

While I kind of agree that if Sony could have cut the price if they could, they would do, part of keeping the price high is to artificially extend this generation.

It gives them more room for maneuver over the 10 years they plan to market this thing.

It's worth remembering that it's likely that GT5 will hit when the PS3 hits $299, the same price that GT3 hit the PS2...the difference is that the PS3 has already been around for 3 years...the PS2 was only out for a few months, so Sony are going to get nice big sales from GT5 and GOW3 at launch type prices.

Niks said:
Could it be that Sony are the ones actually holding back GT5 release, and not PD?!

I think it's probably a combination of both. Sony's obviously going to want to position it in a certain time frame. But I do think that PD likes having more time to polish and add things. But Sony is definitely holding them back from talking about GT5 right now. That much has been made clear.

Im interested in seeing how the driving physics turn out. They have been tweaked noticeably since the original Prologue demo and with each subsequent update/spec. Should be cool.

RefigeKru

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I think it's probably a combination of both. Sony's obviously going to want to position it in a certain time frame. But I do think that PD likes having more time to polish and add things. But Sony is definitely holding them back from talking about GT5 right now. That much has been made clear.

A shame too. I'm dying to hear more about the game, some concrete information would do especially concerning damage/features, etc.

But, good things come to those who wait. Right? :)

RefigeKru said:
A shame too. I'm dying to hear more about the game, some concrete information would do especially concerning damage/features, etc.

As of now with damage, you should probably play it safe and only expect it in race cars based on Kaz's old statements. Of course things could've changed, but the last time he really talked about it (last year) he said that'd be limited to race cars.

RefigeKru said:
But, good things come to those who wait. Right? :)

That's pretty much what Kaz said in an E3 interview

But you will wait for something that's worth waiting for, right?

Grayman

Lion Heart said:
Im interested in seeing how the driving physics turn out. They have been tweaked noticeably since the original Prologue demo and with each subsequent update/spec. Should be cool.
In relation to physics I would like if they tuned "GT mode" so that common drivers could progress through the game with professional physics and more realistic tire choices.

In the last games playing realistically would put the player at a large mechanical disadvantage because the ai would still use S2 or higher tires. Many races were still winnable but only for top tier players.

Firewire said:
Well Sony had MAG slated for December I believe, but that's been recently pushed into 2010. January or February doesn't help Sony in terms of increasing sales from GT5. If a slim is coming its coming this fall and there is no other title better suited to push the slim than the greatly anticipated GT5. Add to the fact the recent statements about GT5 being pretty much finished and ready to go and you have your monster new slim and GT5 ready for x-mass.

Believe!

Well I had doubts that the Slim would come out, first people said with Madden then people said later in September...

jared

Banned
OH MY GOD!!, i just picked up GT5:prologue...this is the MOST amazingly detailed, accurate racing game i've ever seen!! and i wonder...

How does one improve perfection? Can photo-realistic graphics, be made more photo-realisticy?

Caution: Pictures below may look real, but I promise you they are not. Now unlike other places, there is no Tom-Foolery going on in here, this is just the wonder that is Gran Turismo 5: Prologue

f20075miq5.jpg

gt5p07.jpg

62633823dx8.jpg

f430vsgtr8erug1.jpg

fordgt1rly9.jpg

72151040vr4.jpg

capture574srpf5.jpg

gtrp1s6jo9.jpg

gtrp1s1rot2.png

capture868ercx0.jpg

gt5p_06.jpg

00556866.jpg

0013daytonadr4.jpg

gt5-dash-view.jpg

gt5p02.jpg

gt5p14.jpg

Gran_Turismo_5.jpg

jared

Banned
^^ i know!... this is the most amazing racing game i've ever laid my eyes on!!

nothing has even come close in years!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
jared said:
OH MY GOD!!, i just picked up GT5:prologue...this is the MOST amazingly detailed, accurate racing game i've ever seen!! and i wonder...

How does one improve perfection? Can photo-realistic graphics, be made more photo-realisticy?
while polyphony traditionionally set the bar in racing photorealism, they do have what to work on. trust me ; )

ps: enjoy the game.

jared

Banned
this one is one of my favorites, it really shows how they've mastered the lighting. the way the light practically blinds you when you exit that tunnel is uncanny.

gtrp3s4un0.jpg

Shining Sunshine said:
That's real physics going on there. You can clearly see it happening in this picture. Something that other game didn't have.

Yeh it is pretty amazing, the car has that realistic lean from the front left pressure. Amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom