• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue: Famitsu Interview with Kazunori Yamauchi

cilonen

Ether_Snake said:
Which previous ones?

There were a series of GT Concept releases around the big global motor shows in 2002-ish, in Europe we got GT Concept Tokyo-Geneva based off concept cars shown at those two motor shows. This was followed by GT4 Prologue later on in the year.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
cilonen said:
There were a series of GT Concept releases around the big global motor shows in 2002-ish, in Europe we got GT Concept Tokyo-Geneva based off concept cars shown at those two motor shows. This was followed by GT4 Prologue later on in the year.

Ok. So what about the price? 10$ right, not more?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Greg said:
The other ones were like 20-30 bucks if I recall.

Damn, that is not good. Count me out. I'm not a racing fan but I would have been up for it if it was free or 10$. More than that, screw it.

Ceb

Ether_Snake said:

Err, no. IIRC, it was priced around 50% of a normal PS2 game. Meaning Prologue could theoretically go for like $30. I don't know if they can get away with that in today's console climate and people's expectations for a free demo.

If Prologue worked as a down-payment towards GT5, they could charge $40 for all I care.

cilonen

Ether_Snake said:

Well, in the UK full GT games have gone for £39.99 or £44.99; these were £19.99. So half the price of our regular GT games, translating it across to $ is a bit hard as we pay over the odds for our games anyway, and it's now 'next gen' with it's inflated prices. They could charge anything from $10 to $39.99 for it.

gogogow

Ether_Snake said:

GT Concept was 29.99 euros.
GT 4 Prologue was 39.99 - 44.99 euros.

Too bad I will never play GT 5 Prologue, unless Sony will release those damn PSN cards.

Or release it on BRD!

belvedere said:
It's awesome that the interiors are fully customizable, but what about the exteriors?

He confirmed exteriors awhile back since as he mentioned this is the first time where each individual part of the car is modeled so that they can be removed and replaced with another part.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'd say the price will range in the $20-30 area.

Really it's in Sony's interest to release it in the $20 and provide DLC through the game's life until GT5, and have that content carry over into that game.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
SolidSnakex said:
He confirmed exteriors awhile back since as he mentioned this is the first time where each individual part of the car is modeled so that they can be removed and replaced with another part.

I guess this technology will be what will make it easy for them to build more cars... a lot of similar cars!

GTR-R34-N is not a new car! At least this way that car will recieve any graphical updates (if there are any changes in the body panels) accurate to the real car.

Speaking speculatively though, it would be cool if they had chassis and engine 3D model data... even if they can't use it now, it could definetly be under consideration for the next game. Why's that important? Damage goddammit!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
chubigans said:
I'd say the price will range in the $20-30 area.

Really it's in Sony's interest to release it in the $20 and provide DLC through the game's life until GT5, and have that content carry over into that game.

I don't see how that would work, unless GT5 was not sold on disk. I mean what, do you get a discount on GT5 or something? Of course not.

Plus I doubt they will add cars through downloadable content except on a few occasions. They better just wait and release the full GT5 and THEN add more stuff through downloadable content.

Ether_Snake said:
I don't see how that would work, unless GT5 was not sold on disc. I mean what, do you get a discount on GT5 or something? Of course not.

I'm not sure about the content but Kaz has already confirmed that whatever money you earn in GT5P will carry over into GT5.

Greg

Ether_Snake said:
I don't see how that would work, unless GT5 was not sold on disk. I mean what, do you get a discount on GT5 or something? Of course not.

Plus I doubt they will add cars through downloadable content except on a few occasions. They better just wait and release the full GT5 and THEN add more stuff through downloadable content.
Think of it this way - compare the release date from Prologue to the release date of the finished GT5. Whether or not the games end up being connected, there are a number of people who would be willing to purchase Prologue given the fact that the final version of GT5 won't be out for quite some time.

...me being one of them, as I played the GT:HD demo to death since it launched.

Greg said:
GT:HD isn't a representation of what they are capable of.

Think of it as a demo filled with bugs on the store, and the same demo patched and bug free up on the store - why keep an old version up with the chances that someone gets the wrong idea? Ignoring the fact that one is free and one isn't, understand how someone could play GT:HD and assume there can't be much more to Prologue.

And why would i ignore that? That's exactly the reason why i say its wierd they're removing the free demo (inferior or not) when they're adding Prologue that you have to pay for.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Metalmurphy said:
And why would i ignore that? That's exactly the reason why i say its wierd they're removing the free demo (inferior or not) when they're adding Prologue that you have to pay for.

Maybe they'll remove it so they can put in a GTP demo?

1 track, 8 cars, same options as GTHD, but with in car view.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Greg said:
Think of it this way - compare the release date from Prologue to the release date of the finished GT5. Whether or not the games end up being connected, there are a number of people who would be willing to purchase Prologue given the fact that the final version of GT5 won't be out for quite some time.

...me being one of them, as I played the GT:HD demo to death since it launched.

Or, anything you buy or that comes with Prologue is not included by default in GT5? Like, those who bought prologue will have access to those cars by default, and the cars you bought before the release of GT5, but none of those will be in GT5 by default.

gogogow

AltogetherAndrews said:
Wouldn't it technically be possible for developers to use Eyetoy tracking functions in order to, say, look around in cockpit view?

Nice wall.

Or you'll need 3 tv's.

Possible, tracking/scanning your left and right ears/eyes or something like that.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
AltogetherAndrews said:
Wouldn't it technically be possible for developers to use Eyetoy tracking functions in order to, say, look around in cockpit view?

Yes... but you have to consider that'd be difficult, because it'd need to be really sensitive... you can't look away from the screen, so it'd have to pick up the slightest head movements. You have to wonder if that'd be annoying during gameplay.

Double H

Crayon Shinchan said:
They've got shots of the G25 in the PD offices... so it's safe to assume that they're at least working on it.
021035_screen.jpg

Indeed.

GT4 Prologue released with the DFP in Japan, I can only see that an official GT wheel is in the works that uses the G25’s internals.

If they weren’t going to release a new wheel, they probably would’ve already tied the G25 to Gran Turismo somehow; maybe through official endorsement, support in GTHD Concept, or using G25’s in public events.

gtmax

Yamauchi had mentioned that there would be two sets of 'physics' levels. I hope there's a significant improvement because i can't play GT4 as it is.

Also i hope that they've re-recorded the sounds, particularly the tire sounds.

I still get the feeling that all the updates in the games are purely cosmetically. There hasn't been any inquiry into hte technical aspects of the game (will tire wear be more realistic, gas consumption, will the temp of the cars be affected this time, will cars at least get dirty, rain, snow, donuts, AHHHHHHHHHHHH!)

Evolved1

Is it possible to build an HD monitor/screen into a racing helmet? And then possibly have the camera view set to pick up and move w/ any head motion... kind of like sixaxis functionality?

Would you go blind with something so close to your eyes? lol.

If not... that'd be perfect.

I know they have true 3d games w/ visors, but they're cheesy... I'm talking about really good PQ. Say price is no object... is that even technically possible?

Crow-kun

Banned
I think people complaining about the price in relation to the other Prologues need to shut the **** up because it's obvious they haven't boughten any of them before.

Killthee said:
It's both. It's a downloadable($$$$) demo for GT5.

I refuse to consider Prologue as a demo. GT:HD was a demo. Prologue is a full-fledge game. Thats how it has always been. GT:prologue will have 40 cars and 4 race tracks (8 different configurations). Some games don't even have more than 30 cars and they still charge full-price.

This is what a demo is: 1 to 5 cars, 1 track, 1 - 2 laps, you get a thank you screen. Even GT:HD wasn't a demo cause it has 2 game modes that you can play countless times without getting the typical 2 minute "thank you" screen. It even has a leaderboard and all.

Some people demand a bit too much than what they deserve...

womfalcs3

Banned
This isn't a "demo". I've never seen demos with online gameplay, offline races for money, offline MP, 40 cars, and 4 true tracks. This is a game that will carry over to GT5. Once the full version is released, you'll be able to carry your money, cars, and record over to it.

J-Rzez

Crow-kun said:
I think people complaining about the price in relation the other Prologues need to shut the **** up because it's obvious they haven't boughten any of them before.

Pretty much, it's not a full featured game, but it's a lil more than a demo... This one especially is loaded more than most demos... $30-40 is a good price for it...

Evolved1

I don't even mind only having 4 tracks... at least I'll know 'em all really well after a couple days. And so any tuning I do will actually be noticeable... and I'll be more likely to spend time on it.

<---- doesn't have much time for videogames lately.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
J-Rzez said:
Pretty much, it's not a full featured game, but it's a lil more than a demo... This one especially is loaded more than most demos... $30-40 is a good price for it...

It's more loaded than most games!

Ranger X

First of all you guys should act like you think it's free. Any incentive to make this free is good, even if it's just a internet board. Needless to say we did contribute in the debacle of GTHD microtransaction genocide.

This could be a terribly nice marketing asset for the PS3 this fall to have this prologue free. Let me tell you that if Sony really think they are going to sell crazy by next March, they will need agressive moves like this or they will simply not attain this goal.

And finally, if ever it's not free, don't even think of it to be sold at the price of GT4 prologue. It's not even a physical release but just a download. AT WORSE it could cost the same GT4 prologue but even then i'd consider this a rape. Also to note that all of this content you will rebuy it a second time with GT5. They don't need prologue to make GT5 profitable i'm sure.

Goldrusher

^ Exactly.

4 tracks ? 40 cars ?

Compared to GT4, it's worth about $4.04 (calculated using $60 for GT4 and 51 tracks, 700 cars)
I'd pay as much as $10. But not a cent more.

It's likely this game will be free...introduce more people to the Gran Turismo experience.
And the article said GTHD Concept will be removed to make place for GT5 Concept. So people will have to buy the game or have no preview at all ? Unlikely.

recklessmind said:
I don't even mind only having 4 tracks... at least I'll know 'em all really well after a couple days. And so any tuning I do will actually be noticeable... and I'll be more likely to spend time on it.

What tuning ? Didn't Polyphony / Yamauchi say you won't be able to tune in Prologue ?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
shagg_187 said:
I refuse to consider Prologue as a demo. GT:HD was a demo. Prologue is a full-fledge game. Thats how it has always been. GT:prologue will have 40 cars and 4 race tracks (8 different configurations). Some games don't even have more than 30 cars and they still charge full-price.

This is what a demo is: 1 to 5 cars, 1 track, 1 - 2 laps, you get a thank you screen. Even GT:HD wasn't a demo cause it has 2 game modes that you can play countless times without getting the typical 2 minute "thank you" screen. It even has a leaderboard and all.

Some people demand a bit too much than what they deserve...
qft. It's like people have never heard of GT Prologue before?

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
You 'needs to be free' screaming jag-offs need to understand... Prologue isn't a release for the casual general GT fan. It's for their many hardcore GT fans.

Typical full GT release will pull in millions. Prologue will probably pull a few hundred thousand. It's simply a product to show off what they've done so far and to slake the thirst of their hardcore fanbase.

As a hardcore fan... I seriously don't mind paying 30-40 for this early preview. Better than sitting around and hearing jerk media getting their hands on preview builds and reading their impressions with their agendas!

Goldrusher

Ceb said:
If Prologue worked as a down-payment towards GT5, they could charge $40 for all I care.

That's a good idea. Send out a coupon to Prologue buyers a week or two prior to GT5 launch.

bud

Crayon Shinchan said:
You 'needs to be free' screaming jag-offs need to understand... Prologue isn't a release for the casual general GT fan. It's for their many hardcore GT fans.

Typical full GT release will pull in millions. Prologue will probably pull a few hundred thousand. It's simply a product to show off what they've done so far and to slake the thirst of their hardcore fanbase.

As a hardcore fan... I seriously don't mind paying 30-40 for this early preview. Better than sitting around and hearing jerk media getting their hands on preview builds and reading their impressions with their agendas!

really? you wouldn't mind paying $30-40 for a small portion of the game that you're getting a year later anyway, including improvements?

Ranger X

Crayon Shinchan said:

Casual shouldn't pay but hardcore gamers are having the anus wide enough to receive the beam right?
Why should i pay because i am an hardcore gamer?

Those assets they are doing there, they will profit on them with GT5. They don't "need" to sell it. It's not a marketing strategy to make their new game profitable. Prologue is like "a big demo". If you don't want it free like a demo because you consider it "a big demo" well sell it at like 5$. There are 10$ and less PSN and XBLA games that are worth more than a "big demo" already.

Selling GT5 prologue above 5$ would be a rape (imo). And wtf with this mentality that it's ok for hardcore gamers to bend over?? It's because of opinions like yours that they won't shy before charging us with anything they can. Don't be stupid and praise this to be free or like 5$ if you absolutely want to pay 2 times ('cause you hardcore will buy GT5).

No_Style

Wollan said:
What if Home is that town... *conspiracies*

I can picture Tokyo Car Show 2008 concepts in Home....

I also like the fact that I can customize the number of cup holders in my car. :D

kay

bud said:
really? you wouldn't mind paying $30-40 for a small portion of the game that you're getting a year later anyway, including improvements?
And that is why it's not free, you get to play it a year before.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ranger X said:
Casual shouldn't pay but hardcore gamers are having the anus wide enough to receive the beam right?
Why should i pay because i am an hardcore gamer?

Those assets they are doing there, they will profit on them with GT5. They don't "need" to sell it. It's not a marketing strategy to make their new game profitable. Prologue is like "a big demo". If you don't want it free like a demo because you consider it "a big demo" well sell it at like 5$. There are 10$ and less PSN and XBLA games that are worth more than a "big demo" already.

Selling GT5 prologue above 5$ would be a rape (imo). And wtf with this mentality that it's ok for hardcore gamers to bend over?? It's because of opinions like yours that they won't shy before charging us with anything they can. Don't be stupid and praise this to be free or like 5$ if you absolutely want to pay 2 times ('cause you hardcore will buy GT5).

I wouldn't say that.

Look at Wipeout HD and SOCOM HD. Both are not true next gen games, and both are downloadable. They are meant only to bridge the gap between the last gen and next gen games. They'll go for $30-40 if the Warhawk pricing is anything to go by.

Now GT Prologue. It's very much a next-gen game, with all of the next gen features. BUT it's lacking in content. Now, with that analogy, we can assume that GTP will range in the $20 area...and really, why shouldn't it? It ABSOLUTELY wont be free. Do I hope I'm wrong, absolutely, but let's be serious here...this is a product that could justify a decent price.

bud

kay said:
And that is why it's not free, you get to play it a year before.

...?

i'm talking about him saying that he'd gladly pay $30-40 (!!!) for just a small portion of the game.

Ranger X

chubigans said:
I wouldn't say that.

Look at Wipeout HD and SOCOM HD. Both are not true next gen games, and both are downloadable. They are meant only to bridge the gap between the last gen and next gen games. They'll go for $30-40 if the Warhawk pricing is anything to go by.

Now GT Prologue. It's very much a next-gen game, with all of the next gen features. BUT it's lacking in content. Now, with that analogy, we can assume that GTP will range in the $20 area...and really, why shouldn't it? It ABSOLUTELY wont be free. Do I hope I'm wrong, absolutely, but let's be serious here...this is a product that could justify a decent price.

First of all Warhawk price is more justified because it's a full new game. Wipeout HD is just a remake. (i don't know about SOCOM). 30-40$ for Wipeout HD would be a total bloody rape. I wouldn't mind it 15-20$, it's at least a complete game and not a demo like Prologue is.

It sounds realy good and i'm looking foward to trying it out on a mates PS3 since I do not own one, I seriously hope they include the Autum Ring, best GT track ever.

kay

bud said:
...?

i'm talking about him saying that he'd gladly pay $30-40 (!!!) for just a small portion of the game.
It's not GT5, it's not a demo. Demos don't come out this early before release. If somebody wants to play it when it comes out this fall, there is an option to. I don't see how people would expect a FFXIII prologue to be free if it had the number of features GT5 prologue has. Especially since it is being released nowhere close to the actual game's release date..

Goldrusher

Diablohead said:
It sounds realy good and i'm looking foward to trying it out on a mates PS3 since I do not own one, I seriously hope they include the Autum Ring, best GT track ever.

My guess:

La Sarthe (seen in Audi demo)
Suzuka (seen in E3 demo)
London (shown as some kind of photo mode location)
Tokyo (talked about in various articles)

Ranger X said:
First of all Warhawk price is more justified because it's a full new game. Wipeout HD is just a remake. (i don't know about SOCOM). 30-40$ for Wipeout HD would be a total bloody rape. I wouldn't mind it 15-20$, it's at least a complete game and not a demo like Prologue is.

Er, which game in the series is Wipeout HD a remake of? Not that it matters; it's Wipeout, it looks awesome, so it's worth at least $100.

bud

kay said:
It's not GT5, it's not a demo. Demos don't come out this early before release. If somebody wants to play it when it comes out this fall, there is an option to. I don't see how people would expect a FFXIII prologue to be free if it had the number of features GT5 prologue has. Especially since it is being released nowhere close to the actual game's release date..

i'm not saying it should be free, but, again, paying 30-40 for a small portion of the game is not something i'd support

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
bud said:
...?

As an alternative to not recieving the game for another year? absolutely.

If they made it free, I'd be happy too. But why make it free if that'll ultimately cut into revenue for the series (if many feel like they've already 'played' GT5, are they going to want to shell out for the full copy? hardcore fans would, but not necessarily more casual fans). If that happens... then what... a reduction in the quality of the series I love?

Ranger X, if you don't feel it's fair to $30-40 pay for prologue, then don't. The precedent has already been set; it's clearly not intended as a product for anyone but hardcore GT fans.

At the same time though, it's more fully featured then many racing games released in the past.

The only reason you'd think it's not worth 30-40 dollars is when you look at the cost relative to the content the full GT provides, as opposed to the worth of the package. But if we start comparing the worth of games relative to the content they provide, we start heading for a VERY slippery slope.

GT games going for thousands of dollars, given the amount of cars they simulate accurately, and how much it would cost for a simulator of similar ability?
Or how about games like Gears of War; the short but sweet genre going for 10 bucks... because that's the cost of a movie ticket right?

Top Bottom