• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue The Official Thread of Glorious Cockpit View

lupinko

FIVE QUESTIONS TO KAZUNORI YAMAUCHI
The Senior Vice President of Sony Computer Entertainment
is the creator of the Gran Turismo series.

Wat.

Niks said:
"We are also working flat out on a realistic graphic representation for rain and night

"We are working on it, including weather changes, a race can influence index. And damage to racing cars, we will soon be able to simulate."

YES
:D

YES YES YES!!!

Why isn't this in a new thread?

Gbeav

Banned
Finally borrowed a wheel to try with the game and wow it plays much better. Also tried dirt and grid but they sucked compared to control with gt5p.

And I wish I could download that german video as it is coming down at turtle speed.

chubigans said:
I hope soon means GT5. I wish that quote was a tiny bit more clear.

If the game is coming out this year then they've still got plenty of time to get the damage in order. I'm personally happy that they put day/night and weather conditions ahead of damage.

SolidSnakex said:
If the game is coming out this year then they've still got plenty of time to get the damage in order. I'm personally happy that they put day/night and weather conditions ahead of damage.

Me too.

I'm also kinda wondering what cars would feature damage and how well would damage be implemented (is it cosmetic only? Mechanical? As close to real life as possible? Amateur (cosmetic) and professional (realistic) levels of damage as to not turn off casuals? Ability to turn off damage?)

jett

D-Member
SolidSnakex said:

I don't see any mention of a day/night cycle in those answers.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Maybe they'll go the Need for Speed Undercover route. The damage was shown in the paint peeling off, scratches on the car, windows breaking and shattering, but the main body not deforming at all. And it still provided a sense of damage.

Double H

AranhaHunter said:
So, to summarize all the rumors so far:

- 600+ cars
- 90+ tracks
- Simultaneous worldwide release by December or March 2010
- Robust online, clan support, voice chat, party feature etc
- Weather change
- Damage on racing cars
- GT for new PSP

Did I miss anything?

Sounds awfully familiar, oh wait...

- All cars and tracks from GT4 will be included in GT5
- More cars and tracks should be downloadable
- 4 driving views
- Damage for the race cars
- All Ferrari+ F1 cars
- New city tracks
- Online drivers 12-20
- Changing weather during races.

jett

D-Member
Those real-life comparisons in the Audi video aren't doing GT5 any favors. I don't know what is about the trackside graphics but Polyphony needs to step it up. Those 2D trees are just an embarrassment.

JoJo13

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

I wonder if the game will come out this year. That one rumor by the guy on the GT forums suggests next Spring at the latest. crazy to think that it'll be two years, potentially, after prologue released that we'll finally get it

yeah, different lighting conditions can add to the number of tracks, it just spices things up a lot. I loved playing MotorStorm 2 in different lighting conditions...but weather too? damn.

it sounds like this is seriously going to be the ultimate racer for a long time. sony have invested a lot into this project (it's been in the works forever), but i suspect that investment will pay off tremendously as these assets can easily be carried over into future iterations of the series (even on newer consoles). the cars themselves are almost reference quality already, next-generation would mostly bring better lighting and effects I'd imagine. they're getting the hard part out of the way.

i just can't wait to see some of the upgraded tracks @ E3.

AranhaHunter said:
Me too.

I'm also kinda wondering what cars would feature damage and how well would damage be implemented (is it cosmetic only? Mechanical? As close to real life as possible? Amateur (cosmetic) and professional (realistic) levels of damage as to not turn off casuals? Ability to turn off damage?)

Race cars will be the ones with damage

gran-turismo-5-prologue-20070717035252932.jpg

The fact that it's being limited to those cars suggests that the damage is going to be along the lines of something like GRID rather than fender benders.

jett said:
Those real-life comparisons in the Audi video aren't doing GT5 any favors. I don't know what is about the trackside graphics but Polyphony needs to step it up. Those 2D trees are just an embarrassment.

Tracks still look PS2 quality, IMO, they just have higher resolution textures.

Run through Suzuka in GT4 then in GT5p, exact same geometry.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
jett said:
re: car damage in GT5, nevermind to the extent GRID did it as SSX implies. That shit I'll believe when I see it. Which will be never.
I never believed for all 600 cars. I can kinda believe for racing cars. So we'll indeed see.

Niks said:
"We are also working flat out on a realistic graphic representation for rain and night

"We are working on it, including weather changes, a race can influence index. And damage to racing cars, we will soon be able to simulate."

YES

Damage for race cars only is fine by me if it means they can push the damage farther than they would be able to on production cars. Glad to hear about weather, as well.

This game is gonna be bananas.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
bj00rn_ said:
I don't know man.. Outside the palettes and the cars there's not much to look at there.

TBH I think you would be saying the same if you was driving a car on the real track, it's a motor sports simulation dude, do you want them to start adding crap that would be unrealistic in that setting, it's like F1, some people just find it boring and bland, you either love it or hate it, personally I think GT is all about the realism of the tracks, cars, and how they handle.

J-Rzez

chubigans said:
Maybe they'll go the Need for Speed Undercover route. The damage was shown in the paint peeling off, scratches on the car, windows breaking and shattering, but the main body not deforming at all. And it still provided a sense of damage.

Eww. No. Do it right or don't do it at all I say. I'd rather proper mechanical/suspension damage with no crappy paint peels than the same old baked in mock visual damage.

Kinan

In case you are guys interested in a better translation of the Yamauchi interview:

The graphics of "GT5 Prologue" is unbelievable realistic. What can you still do to make the game even better?

Kazunori Yamauchi: GT5 will offer bigger choice of cars and tracks. And we shall provide more features for online community. Beside of that, we are now working at full speed on a life-like graphical representation for rain and night.

How do you achieve such a realistic transfer of real cars into the game?

We strive to recreate cars so realistically that every place in a model is exactly the same as in a real car. For this we need a real car designs. For Audi R8 it was especially hard to reproduce a high-quality materials of the interior. Also for the car body it wasn't easy to express its high class and its unbelievable precision.

Not only the cars, but every single tree at Nürburgring looks scarily close to their real counterparts. Are these details really influencing the driving in-game?

We have a lot of respect before the internal power not only of cars, but also of nature. Therefore we are treating every single detail so carefully, even if its an only a small bush at the edge of the race track. Maybe our passion and efforts are not visible immediately, but they do influencing players, if only subconsciously.

So what variations of the game can fans of GT expect in the near future?

We are currently working on recreation of weather conditions that can influence the race. Also soon we shall be able to simulate a damage to the race cars.

Lets look in the far future. What will Gran Turismo 9 offer to players?

Its hard for me to foresee how the game will develop in a such long time. Gran Turismo grows together with the car industry. So when we speak about future of GT, we are also speaking about future of the auto industry.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
ill qoute myself, (from the new gt5 thread)

sankt-Antonio said:
i do;

GT5 =>they work hard on rain and night

future GT: => wheaterchanges and damage for racing cars

GT9 => cant say much about it, jada jada jada

FUCK :(

sankt-Antonio said:
ill qoute myself, (from the new gt5 thread)

That doesn't match what he's saying at all. Think about it for a second, he starts off by saying that they're working on getting the look of the night and rain down. When he's asked what fans should expect soon he mentions working on recreating the effects on a car from weather. Now, do you think they're going to include rain in GT5 but have it where it has no effect on the car? Even GT3's wet stage changed the way your car handled.

my translation:

Five questions to KAZUNORI YAMAUCHI
The Senior Vice President of Sony Computer Entertainment is the creator of the Gran-Turismo-Series.

The grafics of „GT5 Prologue“ are very realistic. What could you improve on that game?
Kazunori Yamauchi: GT5 will feature a larger selection of cars and racetracks. And we will provide more Online-Community features. In addition we are working with high pressure on a naturalistic grafical representation of rain and night.

How is it possible to repesent the cars so realisticaly in the game?
To remodel cars that match the archetype in every position we need the real models.
At the Audi R8 it was especially difficult to reproduce the high-grade materials of the interior. It also was not easy to express the incredible precision of the autobody.
Not only the cars every single tree at the Nürburgring also looks frighteningly like the real counterpart.

Do such details influence the playing habits?
We have huge respect before the power of the cars and the nature.
Thats why we behold every detail very accurately - even if it just a bush at the border of the racetrack. Our passion and our commitment may not attract attention directly but they act subconsciously.

Which gamemodes can GT fans expect soon?
We work on immitating weatherchanges that can affect a race. And damage on racingcars will soon be simulateable.

Lets risk a look into the future.
What has Gran Turismo 9 to offer?
Its diffucult for me to foresee the developments.
Gran Turismo grows with the car industry. If we look at the future of GT we also look at the future of the car industry.

bj00rn_

Banned
spwolf said:

Well, I've played the hell out of GT5P, I even bought a PS3 and a wheel for it, so I know it the game looks stylish and fine. I'm just saying a "OMG GRAPHICAL BEAST!" does not apply to those mentioned pics as they are disappointingly barren with detail.

bj00rn_ said:
Well, I've played the hell out of GT5P, I even bought a PS3 and a wheel for it, so I know it the game looks stylish and fine. I'm just saying a "OMG GRAPHICAL BEAST!" does not apply to those mentioned pics as they are disappointingly barren with detail.

It's the Nurburgring, for the most part your scenery is a bunch of trees. So considering that, those pics do look damn good.

test_account

XP-39C²
bj00rn_ said:
When you say "barren with details", which things in the pictures are you refering to?

bj00rn_

Banned
test_account said:
When you say "barren with details", which things in the pictures are you refering to?

Nothing.., those pics looks so amazingly awesome that my brain exploded into nonsense. I just couldn't handle the graphical beast. Nevermind

test_account

XP-39C²
bj00rn_ said:
Nothing.., those pics looks so amazingly awesome that my brain exploded into nonsense. I just couldn't handle the graphical beast. Nevermind
I was just curious about which details that you ment :) If you ment the quality on the trees, on the ground/track, and/or that there isnt too much details (such as buidlings/houses etc. just to take an example) around the track. I wasnt trying to be "rude" (or what i shall say) or anything when i asked :)

bj00rn_

Banned
test_account said:
I was just curious about which details that you ment :) If you ment the quality on the trees, on the ground/track, and/or that there isnt too much details (such as buidlings/houses etc. just to take an example) around the track. I wasnt trying to be "rude" (or what i shall say) or anything when i asked :)

I know I know, no worries, I didn't think you were rude. My only point was that I just didn't understand one of the poster's "Graphical Beast!"-thing out of those particular pics which honestly didn't show anything that special. That's all. Just a small derail. I'm sure the real deal will look fine. And I'll shut the hell up now.

sprocket said:
are people seriously try to say gt4 looks better than prologue?:lol

No, somebody asked if GT4 was better looking than GT4: Prologue. It's not so I uploaded some pictures, then you had the die hards whingeing about brightness levels to try a discredit the evidence.

I agree with jett, the track graphics are total ass in Gran Turismo, they're too clean and lacking detail :(

Is this down to spending the most time on the cars?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jett said:

Fuck 3D trees if they are an obstacle to achieving 60fps. Who fucking cares.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Philanthropist said:
I find it amusing how people can complain about individual trees in a racing game :lol
actually they can be counter-realistic if used in a copy-paste way, without even altering their orientation - a certain 'look ma, 3d trees!' other racing game does that, and it distracts the heck out of me.

_RT_ said:
Can someone tell me what I am watching at the 5:08 mark? Is that a real video simulation? Because the steering is all fucked up if that's the case.

1zggwuo.jpg

It's obviously the actual R8 cockpit, but I can't tell if they just added GT5 video footage on top of the windshield. Pretty awesome that I can't be certain.

_RT_

Valkyr Junkie said:
It's obviously the actual R8 cockpit, but I can't tell if they just added GT5 video footage on top of the windshield. Pretty awesome that I can't be certain.

I don't think it's GT5 footage.
But whatever they were attempting to accomplish.... it's ass. The R8 is still going straight while the wheel continues to turn left.

Ranger X

_RT_ said:
Can someone tell me what I am watching at the 5:08 mark? Is that a real video simulation? Because the steering is all fucked up if that's the case.

1zggwuo.jpg

People are really bad not only at screenshots but also at movies it seems.

This is a real cockpit on top of a real footage of Nurburgring.

test_account

XP-39C²
bj00rn_ said:
I know I know, no worries, I didn't think you were rude. My only point was that I just didn't understand one of the poster's "Graphical Beast!"-thing out of those particular pics which honestly didn't show anything that special. That's all. Just a small derail. I'm sure the real deal will look fine. And I'll shut the hell up now.
Ok, thanks :)

Do you mean the pictures in post #8940? If yes, i agree that those pictures doesnt exactly look mega good, but i guess that is because that the pictures doesnt seems to be in the best quality possible. GT5 Prologue looks better than those pictures, at least after my experience with the game :)

Top Bottom