• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue The Official Thread of Glorious Cockpit View

Zen

Banned
JoJo13 said:
that's insane

easily Sony's biggest intellectual property, especially in Europe.

hell, they probably recouped the huge dev costs by prologue alone.

Didn't Prologue have a PSN download as well or am I imagining things?

3.3 Million. If they made $10 dollars per sale (Maybe closer to $15?)...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Gbeav said:
PD says the following sales of Prologue

NA: 730k
Yurope: 1.87 million
Asia 90k
Japan 632k

3.322 Million, not bad for a demo.

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html
The pull of this franchise is amazing. Can't wait for them to start pushing GT5. Always something special when a new Gran Turismo launches.

Feeling nostalgic, found the Honda/Acura car select menu music.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIE_Y5eU5Ow&feature=PlayList&p=A00D4DA39E81F896&index=6

Can't wait to hopefully hear Moon Over the Castle as the intro to a US GT release.

LiquidMetal14

LiquidMetal14

SolidSnakex said:
The US GT2 intro is actually the only one with a good song choice. The other US GT intro song choices have been horrendous.
I always just like that clever camera cut in the beginning right before the song takes off. In one of the intros the checkered flag with GT on it crosses the screen and segways into some car action. Totally pumps you up to play.

Wollan said:
That remix is not as good as the OG one though. It fits but not as good as the original.

I remember the GT3 US intro the first time that came out, so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Awo1JqMkFY

Mobius 1

SolidSnakex said:
You know that's never going to happen.

I wish I could meet the person responsible for that. I need to understand how they came to the conclusion that replacing the original music (which is like the GT anthem, awesome), to which the video was edited to.

Idiots.

jett

D-Member
LiquidMetal14 said:
I have to give the original GT intro a nod, I still get pumped watching it. Still good even for a remix....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGH3uG4gGI4

fail.

It's Moon Over The Castle or nothing. I had owned the GT import for about 4 months when I got the american version. I died a little when that techno crap started playing instead of the orchestral intro. The awesome fusion soundtrack of the japanese game gave GT a feel that was completely different from any other racer. It just felt classy. :p Aside from the racing music, the menu music was also changed into something completley horrific. At least THAT has been kept as-is from the japanese games in all the other GT games.

I still have my original soundtrack CD to cope with the loss. :p To be honest at this point I think it's a matter of worldwide rights over Masahiro Andoh's compositions. I just think it's fucking strange that SCEA eliminates virtually every remnant of his compositions.

-viper-

Banned
Is it me, or does GT3 look a bit better than GT4? I also enjoyed GT3 more. Just felt more fun. I hope GT5 is more like GT3.

Y2Kev said:
I LOVE the loading screen music in GT5 Prologue. It's so...weird.
Yeah it's pretty cool.

I hope GT5 will have custom soundtracks, but only for the races. Some of the music in GT is pretty good, so it would be cool if you could just 'add' custom soundtracks instead of replacing all the race songs.

LiquidMetal14

-viper- said:
Is it me, or does GT3 look a bit better than GT4? I also enjoyed GT3 more. Just felt more fun. I hope GT5 is more like GT3.

Yeah it's pretty cool.

I hope GT5 will have custom soundtracks, but only for the races. Some of the music in GT is pretty good, so it would be cool if you could just 'add' custom soundtracks instead of replacing all the race songs.
It seems to me that they had a great selection for GT4. I think that's one area PD has on lock. Great licensed tracks coupled with smooth original cmopositions.

jett said:
fail.

It's Moon Over The Castle or nothing. I had owned the GT import for about 4 months when I got the american version. I died a little when that techno crap started playing instead of the orchestral intro. The awesome fusion soundtrack of the japanese game gave GT a feel that was completely different from any other racer. It just felt classy. :p Aside from the racing music, the menu music was also changed into something completley horrific. At least THAT has been kept as-is from the japanese games in all the other GT games.

I still have my original soundtrack CD to cope with the loss. :p To be honest at this point I think it's a matter of worldwide rights over Masahiro Andoh's compositions. I just think it's fucking strange that SCEA eliminates virtually every remnant of his compositions.
Hey, I agree with you there. I just happen to like the music in the US intro as well as the great car select themes and licensed tracks. I do wish they would keep the same vibe for all regions as I do prefer Moon over the Castle for most of the intros I've seen.

It seems like Sony just wants famous bands doing the theme songs in versions of GT outside of Japan. They should just have famous bands cover Moon Over the Castle. That way everyone wins.

Dead Man

Okay, I finally bought the damn thing. :D Figured since I've been getting in... discussions about it, I should put in some time on it! I got the ugly Platinum version. It hasn't asked to download any updates. Is the Platinum version up to date, or do I have to initiate something myself to update it?

idahoblue said:
Okay, I finally bought the damn thing. :D Figured since I've been getting in... discussions about it, I should put in some time on it! I got the ugly Platinum version. It hasn't asked to download any updates. Is the Platinum version up to date, or do I have to initiate something myself to update it?

See if the Citroen GT concept car is available. If so, then your version is as up to date as it gets.

Dead Man

Valkyr Junkie said:
See if the Citroen GT concept car is available. If so, then your version is as up to date as it gets.
Thanks. It is, and says SpecIII in the top left. Must be good to go. Thanks again man. Off to get to grips with this thing. Bought the Cappuccino first, hope that wasn't a mistake!

RavenFox

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
The US GT2 intro is actually the only one with a good song choice. The other US GT intro song choices have been horrendous.
Bless the Cardigans. "I don't know what your looking for You haven't found it baby that's for sure" ta tanaa ta tanaa:D

-viper-

Banned
idahoblue said:
Thanks. It is, and says SpecIII in the top left. Must be good to go. Thanks again man. Off to get to grips with this thing. Bought the Cappuccino first, hope that wasn't a mistake!
It wasn't a mistake, because it is required for a certain race or two.

Kazunori Yamauchi is in Dubai, watching Lucas cross the finish line. He is impressed. "I always believed that someone good at GT could drive as fast as a professional," he says. "In fact, I think that they could go even faster."

Sounds like a challenge for anyone thinking of having a shot at the GT Academy this year, a competition Darren promises will be even bigger. Get involved. Settle that pub debate for good.

http://www.topgear.com/us/features/more/this-is-not-a-game/

The last GT Academy was created for Prologue. So, could this be fore GT5?

Sirolf

So i have some news about Yamauchi san :)

First i'm sorry,i'm very late ( Lot of personal work) for the promised pictures and movies of the newest build of GT5 Prologue but i will post something this week (tomorrow perhaps).

Second,my wife(who works at the 24h museum) has managed to have him and his team visit the place at the time of the race !So i will meet him in person :D *does happy dance*
Count on me to ask a lot of questions !!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Sirolf said:

First i'm sorry,i'm very late for the promised pictures and movies of the newest build of GT5( Lot of work) but i will post something this week (tomorrow perhaps).

Second,my wife(who works at the 24h museum) has managed to have him and his team visit the place at the time of the race !So i will meet him in person :D *does happy dance*
wut?

SolidSnakex said:
http://www.topgear.com/us/features/more/this-is-not-a-game/

The last GT Academy was created for Prologue. So, could this be fore GT5?

GT Academy runs on DAVE (digital TV channel) here in the UK, cool show. I hope they cover the next one.

What happens when you take a bunch PlayStation geeks who play Gran Turismo to obsessive levels and give them a chance to race for real? The GT Academy, that's what.

Specially created at legendary racetrack Silverstone, the GT Academy welcomes the best Gran Turismo drivers from across Europe (whittled down from 25,000 hopefuls) and gives them the opportunity to turn their virtual dreams into reality – two graduates from the Academy will drive in the Dubai 24 Hour Endurance race, as part of the Nissan PlayStation team.

GT Academy Logo 150In the Academy itself a crack team of judges and advisors – led by F1 legend Johnny Herbert – oversee the wannabe drivers during a course of mental, physical and, of course, driving challenges. There's also Colin Murray providing the expert narration.

So can this bunch of gaming fanatics transfer their Gran Turismo skills onto the real-life driving circuits? Watch some of the action from the National Finals and find out. ?

http://dave.uktv.co.uk/shows/motoring/gt-academy/

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Calibur said:
Does anyone know where i can get a demo or a demo code for this game or im i just too late?

You are talking about GT5:p right?

Sirolf said:
First i'm sorry,i'm very late for the promised pictures and movies of the newest build of GT5( Lot of work) but i will post something this week (tomorrow perhaps).!

b7co0k.gif

Lince

Banned
Sirolf said:
First i'm sorry,i'm very late for the promised pictures and movies of the newest build of GT5( Lot of work) but i will post something this week (tomorrow perhaps).

:O

can't wait!

(hope the latest build is rock-solid 60fps)

Psychotext said:
Quite a cool story.

This is pretty damn awesome also

Last week we reported on Nissan/Playstation GT Academy winner Lucas Ordonez earning his seat in a real GT4 racer for the 2009 season. Well, the results are in for the first race held at Silverstone this weekend, and Ordonez (below right), along with his professional co-driver Alex Buncombe, scored a third-place podium finish.

http://wot.motortrend.com/6510601/m...amer-gets-podium-in-first-gt4-race/index.html

Sirolf said:

Uh... what are these promises and where is that coming from?

Lince

Banned
TTP said:
What are u guys talking about? GT5? Or you mean Prologue? They are still working on it?

wut? I guess he meant the proper GT5 not prologue ? what are you talking about ? better, what is he talking about? :lol

Sirolf said:
Prologue...Sorry for the confusion !

ah ok... I didn't know they were still working on Prologue... GT5 March 2010 confirmed

Sirolf

Lince said:
ah ok... I didn't know they were still working on Prologue... GT5 March 2010 confirmed

It's really a special version made for the museum ( according to Sony France) so i don't know if the engine is slightly more revamped or the track itself.
I will know (and see) more tomorrow.

Doc Evils

Sirolf said:

gigaton

LiquidMetal14

Sirolf said:

I expect some material soon!

Wax Free Vanilla said:
GT Academy runs on DAVE (digital TV channel) here in the UK, cool show. I hope they cover the next one.

http://dave.uktv.co.uk/shows/motoring/gt-academy/
DAVE TV? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Interesting use for a name there :p

LiquidMetal14 said:
I expect some material soon!

DAVE TV? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Interesting use for a name there :p

Dave ja vu is their + 1 channel :lol

I'm not complaining though, it's the only channel in the UK that covers the World Rally Championships.

Kaz is #28 on Fast Company's 100 most creative people in business list

Kazunori Yamauchi's games are dazzling in their design and striking in their detail, with licensed reproductions of actual cars and a choice of tracks from around the globe. And that real-world car he had a hand in? It was named the 2009 Motor Trend Car of the Year.

http://www.fastcompany.com/100/2009/kazunori-yamauchi

#24 on Motor Trend's Power List (up from #32 last year)

His future: Better than the industry's. Gran Turismo5's cars are the only ones most of us can pay for right now.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/...r_trend_power_list/24__kazunori_yamauchi.html

Goldrusher

ravien56 said:
So what have they added that's free since launch for gtp?

Excluding a ton of bug fixes and various improvements:

December 2007 (1.11)
• Online mode
• Ranking mode
• Museum feature

March 2008 (2.0 / spec II)
• 1 circuit High Speed Ring (available in Normal and Reverse layout)
• 4 automakers (Aston Martin, Citroën, Jaguar, MINI)
• 5 tuners (Amuse, Art Morrison, Blitz, Mine's and Polyphony Digital as "Concept by Gran Turismo")
• 22 stock cars
• 12 tuned cars
• 8 Event Races (2 per class)
• 5 Dealer Events
• 2P Battle mode (offline splitscreen)
• Drift Trial mode
• Driving Line feature
• Quick Tune feature
• Performance Point (PP) system
• Real time adjustment (4WD, ABS, ASM, Brake balance and TCS)

April 2008 (2.10)
• 10 BGMs (Weezer, The Mars Volta, DJ Shadow, etc.)
• Flag/Region feature (Online)

August 2008 (2.20)
• 6 BGM tracks added. (Sound)
• Start of pay-per-view service on Gran Turismo TV. (GT-TV)

October 2008 (3.0 / Spec III)
• 3 cars (GT by Citroën, Ferrari California, Lotus Evora)

Sirolf said:

First i'm sorry,i'm very late ( Lot of personal work) for the promised pictures and movies of the newest build of GT5 Prologue but i will post something this week (tomorrow perhaps).

Bump

I am very intrigued about this. Any bit of news is news. Are you going to have a chance to ask him any questions? or just one question? How is this going to work? If an interview is the case, we have lots of ideas for you:D

I eagerly wait the pictures and stuff you promissed. And i'm sure these questions will be asked to you after your post, so:

Did you raced at Le Sarthe in the newest demo? Was it upscaled GT4 track or brand new resolution? Did you raced a racing car? How does it feel compared to the road/tuned cars of Prologue?

Top Bottom