• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue The Official Thread of Glorious Cockpit View

Niks

E3 will sure be interesting if GT5 is indeed revealed.

Forza 3 has pretty much been confirmed to make an appearance at E3, and it is also believed that it will feature weather effects. Hmmm...

It will be interesting to see how both will approach weather (graphics and realism-wise).

belvedere

Junior Butler
Niks said:

Forza 3 has pretty much been confirmed to make an appearance at E3, and it is also believed that it will feature weather effects. Hmmm...

It will be interesting to see how both will approach weather (graphics and realism-wise).

I'll still never forget the initial impact of the wet night courses in GT3.

belvedere said:
I'll still never forget the initial impact of the wet night courses in GT3.

Yeah, i remember, but it wasn't exactly courses, wet and night.

Speacial Stage R5 wet didn't feature any rain and always had too much lights to be a true "night venue".

I hope 9 years are enough to present both scenarios in a different manner.

http://audifreaks.com/?p=245

Can anyone confirm if the video shows what they are claiming?

Audi is obviously looking forward to being in the coming Gran Turismo 5. After all, the Quattro company has created a website to promote its car on the Nürburgring in real life and in the game, and it interviewed GT5 mastermind Kazunori Yamauchi about what fans can expect. Yamauchi-san revealed that the game is going to offer not only more vehicles, more online features, and increased detail, but it will also include night racing, damage rendering (previously confirmed), and weather changes.

If you watch the Audi R8 Meets Gran Turismo 5 video, one of the game developers even talks of one day providing weather reports for an entire 24-hour race, and you can read the interview with Yamauchi-san by clicking on a PDF link here. The graphical and gameplay additions are surely welcome and long overdue, and could return GT5 to the head of the racing sim pack – whenever it finally gets here…

Yoboman

I'd loved Yamauchi to come out... do his usual GT presentation and bam, it flips into a stormy race track.... it's slippery and Yamauchi loses control of his vehicle and slams into a barrier, and he lets the damage speak for itself :)

Zhuk

Banned
Niks said:

At the very least console sim enthusiasts will never have it better if both games are coming out in the near future :D

cakefoo

Not GT5-specific, but relevant...

Gareth Wilson from Bizarre Creations (PGR, Blur) talking about how anal the companies are about letting their cars be damaged in games.
The choice of vehicles for the game has helped. Ferrari and Lamborghini aren't in this game. The type of manufacturers has helped and also the attitude that we've taken has helped. If someone doesn't want to do what we want to do then we just won't put it in the game. There have been a couple of big manufacturers, can't tell you who, that have gone you can't set the cars on fire, and we've gone, OK we won't use your cars then. Because the cars are not the star of the game, the gameplay is the star of the game. Whereas in Gotham, if we didn't have Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche, then everyone on Eurogamer would be going 'oh my God'.

So because we've been more flexible, that's the number one thing. And also because we've asked. I think we were a little bit averse and a bit scared of asking before, and we didn't need to as well. Also other games have kicked the door down for us as well, like GRID and DiRT. They were doing all sorts of stuff. We had one thing with a manufacturer where they didn't want smoke coming out of the car, and we just said yeah but you're in GRID, and GRID does smoke. And they went, oh yeah. So I think every year, collectively, between us and Forza and Codies, we're gradually chipping away. Cos we've got fire now. If the car is wrecked, it's run out of repair, the car sets on fire. I don't think that's ever happened in a licensed car game - actual flames. So maybe if we do that, maybe in the next one Codies will manage to get flames while the car's moving, which then allows us to go maybe we can blow the car up next time. Every year we're chipping away at what we can do.

SolidSnakex said:
Hopefully that'll put an end to people claiming that Kaz is just making up stuff about companies being against certain things happening to their cars in their games.

As long as people have the slightest excuse to complain, no matter whether it's grounded or ludicrous, they will.

Haunted

SolidSnakex said:
Hopefully that'll put an end to people claiming that Kaz is just making up stuff about companies being against certain things happening to their cars in their games.
Well, and reversely, it means that having
  • damage
  • flipping
  • smoke coming from the cars
  • having cars on fire
is possible with the manufacturers present in the Codemasters + PGR + Forza games (which are quite a few, I'd say) - so no one can use the "they won't let us do it" excuse anymore.

Curious who those "big manufacturers" that didn't want to play ball are, though. (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche?)

Because the cars are not the star of the game, the gameplay is the star of the game.
amen

lttp, anyone have a righer res version of these pics?

sbjztd.jpg

2rppwf8.jpg

2eek70p.jpg

Haunted said:
  • damage
  • flipping
  • having cars on fire
is possible with the manufacturers present in the Codemasters + PGR + Forza games (which are quite a few, I'd say) - so no one can use the "they won't let us do it" excuse anymore.

Curious who those "big manufacturers" that didn't want to play ball are, though. (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche?)

It's not an excuse when they aren't willing to do allow what some companies want. You see that Bizarre had to drop manufacturers because they wouldn't go along with what they want to do in this game. Polyphony isn't going to drop manufacturers just to get damage in their game, that never is going to happen nor should it even be something takes into consideration.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Polyphony's been around for a long time. If they really wanted to do damage, they could have gotten manufacturers to agree.

There's no reason why Turn 10 could convince folks like Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, BMW to let us damage their cars and not a huge player in the gaming industry like PD.

Of course, there are limits, such as depictions of driver injury, cars catching on fire, etc. But you have to start somewhere if you really want it. If the only way Kaz will accept damage in GT is to have full chassis destruction/separation, wheels flying every which way, and airbag explosions... we may very well never see damage in GT.

My guess is that GT will get damage sooner rather than later, and it's going to look something in between what we had in FM2 and GRID... which would be pretty sweet if they revealed this at E3.

One thing that would be very odd for me is if they only let some (race) cars get damage while production cars react like the corner-cushions of ye olde GT.

h3ro

chespace said:
Polyphony's been around for a long time. If they really wanted to do damage, they could have gotten manufacturers to agree.

There's no reason why Turn 10 could convince folks like Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, BMW to let us damage their cars and not a huge player in the gaming industry like PD.

Of course, there are limits, such as depictions of driver injury, cars catching on fire, etc. But you have to start somewhere if you really want it. If the only way Kaz will accept damage in GT is to have full chassis destruction/separation, wheels flying every which way, and airbag explosions... we may very well never see damage in GT.

My guess is that GT will get damage sooner rather than later, and it's going to look something in between what we had in FM2 and GRID... which would be pretty sweet if they revealed this at E3.

One thing that would be very odd for me is if they only let some (race) cars get damage while production cars react like the corner-cushions of ye olde GT.

I agree, but I don't think it would be that weird if there was damage on proper race/formula cars and none for production models. I'd rather have that than nothing.

Also, you're a brave man you venture in here, good post though.

SolidSnakex said:
It's not an excuse when they aren't willing to do allow what some companies want. You see that Bizarre had to drop manufacturers because they wouldn't go along with what they want to do in this game. Polyphony isn't going to drop manufacturers just to get damage in their game, that never is going to happen nor should it even be something takes into consideration.
Sacrificing gameplay over some more cars (maybe 10?)? For Polyphony it would just be Ferrari and they dont have cars from the other 2. I think if they decide to drop a few manufacturers to make the gameplay experience better, call me in.

maniac-kun said:
Sacrificing gameplay over some more cars (maybe 10?)? For Polyphony it would just be Ferrari and they dont have cars from the other 2. I think if they decide to drop a few manufacturers to make the gameplay experience better, call me in.

The variety in cars is part of what made GT what it is today not damage.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think there IS going to be damage on race cars and nothing/something smaller on production cars.

Xater

SolidSnakex said:

I'd rather see less manufacturers and have a real damage system.

I never understood the problem the manufacturers have anyway. It's not like I don't know what could happen to one of their cars. :lol

SolidSnakex said:
The variety in cars is part of what made GT what it is today not damage.
Its not just the damage its the collisions, flips etc all that adds to a better experience. Its the real driving simulator where a collision has no impact (if youre not driving in a racing car).

RavenFox

Banned
seattle6418 said:
Yeah, i remember, but it wasn't exactly courses, wet and night.

Speacial Stage R5 wet didn't feature any rain and always had too much lights to be a true "night venue".

I hope 9 years are enough to present both scenarios in a different manner.
lol what? Dude for the time that was friggin amazing. Some of you folks who post I feel like your life needs some relax time. Meaning lighten up.

Philanthropist said:
As long as people have the slightest excuse to complain, no matter whether it's grounded or ludicrous, they will.
This

Rapping Granny said:
lttp, anyone have a righer res version of these pics?

http://i37.tinypic.com/sbjztd.jpg
[IMG]http://i36.tinypic.com/2rppwf8.jpg
[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/2eek70p.jpg[/QUOTE]

this man has good taste. i second his request

maniac-kun said:
Its not just the damage its the collisions, flips etc all that adds to a better experience. Its the real driving simulator where a collision has no impact (if youre not driving in a racing car).

They aren't going gimp their franchise to satisfy a vocal minority.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SolidSnakex said:
That's if you believe that the only way progress the franchise is to add damage. I believe there are many other ways.

Come on it's not just damage. It's collision physics, how they affect stability. GT never even attempted to simulate that for some odd reasons.

I'll never argue against them fixing the collision physics. That's something they should definitely get around to doing. But if damage means removing manufacturers then nope, forget that. It's just not worth it. Which is why I think it's a good idea for them to just limit that to race cars. People that want damage get their way and people that don't still get a full car and manufacturer list.

chespace said:

Everytime someone "in the industry"posts, we get some new information. I would love to hear your take on why can some companies get Porsche and others not, but i don't know if you're allowed to do that. In the end i just hope that Forza 3 and GT5 push each other to the limits.

Ranger X

The real problem is both those guys in suit and general people caring WAYYYYY too much about brands.

If it was that you love cars and racing, you wouldn't really need "Mustang" written on it. Fuck, I can tell when there's a Dodge Caravan in GTA, I don't need it to be identical.

Sometimes I just wish there was a huge simulation with extremely near real life cars but no freaking brands but you would get the most realistic gameplay ever. But no one cares.

RavenFox said:
lol what? Dude for the time that was friggin amazing. Some of you folks who post I feel like your life needs some relax time. Meaning lighten up.

I know it might sound like i'm bitching too much, but some of that it's due to the frustration on how they handled custumer feedback since GT1.

We could already had a true night setting in previous GT's, with headlights being your only friend, but developer choices said no. Just like the ability to turn the HUD on and off, some features are just a matter of choice, and not technichal possibilities.

I've been following the series since it's beggining, and sometimes i just get frustrated with their mannerisms, but that doesn't take away how much i enjoy the series and praise the devs.

Ranger X said:
The real problem is both those guys in suit and general people caring WAYYYYY too much about brands.

If it was that you love cars and racing, you wouldn't really need "Mustang" written on it. Fuck, I can tell when there's a Dodge Caravan in GTA, I don't need it to be identical.

Sometimes I just wish there was a huge simulation with extremely near real life cars but no freaking brands but you would get the most realistic gameplay ever. But no one cares.

i would buy that game if this is possible :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA9u3lgdAxI
:D

Ranger X

maniac-kun said:
i would buy that game if this is possible :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA9u3lgdAxI

And I also can't believe nobody can talk those suit dudes into their game design and convinced them. I would really like to see them skate around the topic if it was ME talking.
I'd have a game where realistic consequence are the key and put some educational twist on it. You know, making the player learn to consequences of real life, that speed kills, that you can't drive a car in anyway you want.

Anyhow, there's so much room for debate and argument that I even wonder if devs and publisher really put an effort there. I mean, their car can get damage in real fucking life, i'd like to know why they don't want this possible consequence in a videogame.

Haunted

maniac-kun said:
Xater said:
Ranger X said:

I am with you.

SolidSnakex said:
Total disagree. I'd rather have 680 instead of 700 cars if it improved the gameplay and immersion drastically (which is undoubtedly what updated damage and collision physics would do).

You've got your priorities wrong, imo. There was a reason I highlighted and re-quoted part of Gareth Wilson's statement in my initial post.

Haunted said:
You've got your priorities wrong, imo. There was a reason I highlighted and re-quoted part of Gareth Wilson's statement in my initial post.

I just don't have any interest in damage at all. It's never been a feature that i've really cared for in racing games, and if there's an option i'll turn it off. I personally found the addition of a cockpit view to be much more important to GT than the potential for damage.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
SolidSnakex said:
I just don't have any interest in damage at all. It's never been a feature that i've really cared for in racing games, and if there's an option i'll turn it off. I personally found the addition of a cockpit view to be much more important to GT than the potential for damage.
You would rather ignore the existence of damage in GT5 once it's released than have a more fleshed-out racing experience? Okay.

Mutagenic said:
You would rather ignore the existence of damage in GT5 once it's released than have a more fleshed-out racing experience? Okay.

I don't care for damage, so why wouldn't I ignore it if it were a feature in GT5?

Niks

For me damage is not as important. Don't get me wrong, if it is implemented then great! but if not, its not a deal breaker for me.

There are several things more important than damage, wich IMO, would directly impact the gameplay moreso than damage.

- Weather changes
- Proper tire degradation model
- Proper fuel/weight simulation model

These would give the game a greater scope and depth than damage would ever do.

Niks said:
For me damage is not as important. Don't get me wrong, if it is implemented then great! but if not, its not a deal breaker for me.

There are several things more important than damage, wich IMO, would directly impact the gameplay moreso than damage.

- Weather changes
- Proper tire degradation model
- Proper fuel/weight simulation model

These would give the game a greater scope and depth than damage would ever do.

Now we're talking. Especially weather effects. The fact that Kaz has said all through GT5's development that weather would play a role in it makes me happy. Can't wait to see what they pull off.

Also it'll be interesting to see if they add any new racing modes. I know Kaz said a few years ago that he was thinking about adding midget cars into the series.

Niks

If we get weather, I hope it is random and not totally preset...

What I mean is getting into a race where there is a 35% probability of medium to heavy rain, and not preset events where its raining from the get go/

That way it would be (hopefully) directly connected to tire behavior/strategy....

Hotter temperatures, more grip, less longevity
Colder temperatures, less grip, more durability
Rain tires, intermedium and full wets.

Is that asking too much?

Aren't there some games out there that track weather in specific areas and the games weather will change depending on what's happening there? Prologue already has a weather tracker, so it'd be pretty cool if they implemented something like that.

Dead Man

SolidSnakex said:
Fire has never been on anyone's wish list as far as I know... Of course there are restrictions on what car companies want depicted, but they are nowhere as strict as they were.

Edit: Haunted of course has said it best:
Haunted said:
  • damage
  • flipping
  • having cars on fire

amen

And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Polyphony, fix the fucking collision physics. I could live without damage (if I had to) if the damn collisions themselves were realistic. If I have to have the one corner pivoting on the ground spinout of doom on Daytona in the full game, there will be blood!

Niks

SolidSnakex said:
Aren't there some games out there that track weather in specific areas and the games weather will change depending on what's happening there? Prologue already has a weather tracker, so it'd be pretty cool if they implemented something like that.

What about NA racers wanting to race Suzuka?
It would be nighttime at Suzuka with cold temperatures?

Heh, but yeah I get what you mean, it would be a nice feature.

Top Bottom