• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue The Official Thread of Glorious Cockpit View

I've been playing GT5P for the past couple of days, having a blast =)

Anyways, I notice some cars missing from previous demos and pics, such as the following:

Nissan Super GT GT500 Fairlady Z race car:
gran-turismo-5-images-20070816051509087.jpg

Nissan Skyline GT-R R33:
gran-turismo-5-images-20070725102039500.jpg

I forget if there's any other cars missing (not counting cars that were in GTHD, such as the Celica WRC, Infiniti G35 Coupe, Evo VI, Miata/Eunos Roadster, etc.).

Edit: fixed image links

GamePnoy74 said:
I've been playing GT5P for the past couple of days, having a blast =)

Anyways, I notice some cars missing from previous demos and pics, such as the following:

Nissan Super GT GT500 Fairlady Z race car:
image_frame.html

Nissan Skyline GT-R R33:
image_frame.html

I forget if there's any other cars missing (not counting cars that were in GTHD, such as the Celica WRC, Infiniti G35 Coupe, Evo VI, Miata/Eunos Roadster, etc.).

They're missing the Corvette also.

Bookey

Professional Monk
Cant wait to see the races online if the penalties are in, also having a time with s class races this game is too good

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Bookey said:
Cant wait to see the races online if the penalties are in, also having a time with s class races this game is too good

It will probably be an option. Anything to stop online races turning into an noob crash fest is good though.

I would like to see PD tweak them, that will probably be with GT%. As they are, they are good for now.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
kinda weird,

I have a 1080p set, ps3 is set to 1080p but when i play GT, the game menu (dealer) is in 720p....

edit: nvm some reason my ps3 was @ 720p...weird...

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Awesome, rail A.I. was always a thorn in an otherwise great experence in past GT games. I really want to purchase a PS3 this xmas, but I figure I might as well wait for the rumble package next year.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
MickeyKnox said:
Beyond the absolutely unmatched models, a big part of GT5's visuals is it's lighting, and there is no way in hell they can pull of dynamic lighting and retain that level of visual fidelity.
The big question here is what you define as "dynamic" lighting (I'm not even sarcastic, definitions of this type on This board constantly change from one post to another), and what part of it would be so hard to do in realtime.
Meanwhile, the point where "doing nothing per polygon to render faster" actually worked was left behind 7 years ago with the PS1. The cut-off point where reducing amount of work per pixel/polygon yields improvements is dramatically higher this generation, to the point where your average lighting from PS2/XBox generation is basically rendered as fast as prelighted on modern consoles.

I would question how wortwhile realtime day-time changes are in a simulator though - where it would take 30+ minute races to actually notice any change in lighting (hence probably cutting off 90% of audience from ever seeing any of it).

maskrider

The 4 views, as you will notice in the in car view, they've added noise (which is only noticeable with screenshots) to increase the perceived clarity

gt5p-view-1.jpg

gt5p-view-2.jpg

gt5p-view-3.jpg

gt5p-view-4.jpg

maskrider said:
The 4 views, as you will notice in the in car view, they've added noise (which is only noticeable with screenshots) to increase the perceived clarity

http://z-o-g.org/imgs/misc/gt5p-view-1.jpg[/i mg]
[img]http://z-o-g.org/imgs/misc/gt5p-view-2.jpg[/i mg]
[img]http://z-o-g.org/imgs/misc/gt5p-view-3.jpg[/i mg]
[img]http://z-o-g.org/imgs/misc/gt5p-view-4.jpg[/i mg][/QUOTE]

drool

Some of the car models look very iffy, im glad i dont play the car view. Some of the roads look flat too its the first thing my friend said it looked like they had no textures on the surfaces. Still at times it looks amazing if a little dark in the cockpit view.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i feel like that london track would be a lot more impressive if they did something different with the lighting -- the hdr effects are so extreme that they kind of overwhelm the trackside detail. as it stands, i prefer to look at eiger or fuji

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Fafalada said:
The big question here is what you define as "dynamic" lighting (I'm not even sarcastic, definitions of this type on This board constantly change from one post to another), and what part of it would be so hard to do in realtime.
Meanwhile, the point where "doing nothing per polygon to render faster" actually worked was left behind 7 years ago with the PS1. The cut-off point where reducing amount of work per pixel/polygon yields improvements is dramatically higher this generation, to the point where your average lighting from PS2/XBox generation is basically rendered as fast as prelighted on modern consoles.

I would question how wortwhile realtime day-time changes are in a simulator though - where it would take 30+ minute races to actually notice any change in lighting (hence probably cutting off 90% of audience from ever seeing any of it).

Slightly unrelated but u know what would be cool? A 5 or 10 minutes race starting at sunset, just as the sun is about to disappear behind the horizon, so that the sky slowly goes dark as you approach the final laps.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
TTP said:
Slightly unrelated but u know what would be cool? A 5 or 10 minutes race starting at sunset, just as the sun is about to disappear behind the horizon, so that the sky slowly goes dark as you approach the final laps.
Much as that would indeed look lovely, there's 2 reasons why I would generally say no to this at design point.

a) The Shadowmap resolution probles get 100x worse when you put istant shadowcasting lights near to the ground. Moreso when camera will arbitrarily stare directly at the shadow casting light source, and often. It's pretty much the worst case scenario you can put out for dynamic shadowmaps. Basically if things look decent (or even great) from normal perspectives, they will STILL turn to proverbial shit (think the aliasing you hate so much in cockpit, and multiply that 10 fold) in this scenario.
b) IMO you can achieve better results if you make one small concession - time is variable at start of each race, not during. This allows you to avoid pitfalls of b) on all static geometry, and just gives general benefits to memory and resource utilization (meaning you can improve overall image, not just lighting), while still giving you dynamic stages.

But, if you can live with not so dynamic environment shadowing, you can do your scenario nice enough.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Fafalada said:
Much as that would indeed look lovely, there's 2 reasons why I would generally say no to this at design point.

a) The Shadowmap resolution probles get 100x worse when you put istant shadowcasting lights near to the ground. Moreso when camera will arbitrarily stare directly at the shadow casting light source, and often. It's pretty much the worst case scenario you can put out for dynamic shadowmaps. Basically if things look decent (or even great) from normal perspectives, they will STILL turn to proverbial shit (think the aliasing you hate so much in cockpit, and multiply that 10 fold) in this scenario.
b) IMO you can achieve better results if you make one small concession - time is variable at start of each race, not during. This allows you to avoid pitfalls of b) on all static geometry, and just gives general benefits to memory and resource utilization (meaning you can improve overall image, not just lighting), while still giving you dynamic stages.

But, if you can live with not so dynamic environment shadowing, you can do your scenario nice enough.

Ok then, here is a way around it: a solar eclipse in the morning! :lol

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Damn the more the pictures keep coming the more I am willing to get back in the GT bandwagon like back in the old days hopefully they release a demo here before the years end so I can get a taste of it my self.

nofi

Router said:
You might need to get an eye check, real life is not nearly that horrid. :p

My vision is tip-top, it's GIF compression that stinks! But yeah, they're both compressed the same. And I was joking.

It's probably too early for me. *rubs eyes*

anyone just checked the latest 1up preview of GT5P ?

The first and bolded comment about the first GT5P screen you see on the preview is this one :
SCREENS: Prologue appears to be upscaled to 1080p and suffers from occasional screen tearing and even more occasional framerate drops, especially during bouts of very heavy traffic.

P******C.

Forsete

Gold Member
natureman3 said:
anyone just checked the latest 1up preview of GT5P ?

The first and bolded comment about the first GT5P screen you see on the preview is this one :

P******C.

What they really wanted to write.

Prologue appears to be upscaled to 1080p (80p am avenged!) and suffers from occasional screen tearing and even more occasional framerate drops (lol ps3), especially during bouts of very heavy traffic

belvedere

Junior Butler
Forsete said:
What they really wanted to write.

Very interesting. I wonder where this came from?

Unsurprisingly, the same editor responsible for the extensive (and brown nosed) Forza 2 interview has some negative (and speculative) things to say about GT5P.

...and I thought the KZ2 fiction was bad.

:lol

sinnergy

Road markers gone and less bump mapping on the wall ? Ceiling also looks less detialed.

btw my visa doesn't work on the Japan store :( no GTP download for me.

Ranger X

sinnergy said:
Road markers gone and less bump mapping on the wall ? Ceiling also looks less detialed.

btw my visa doesn't work on the Japan store :( no GTP download for me.

LOL they only changed the pavement style and the ridiculous HDR is toned down on the wall that's all. It's actually an improvement. No rock wall receive some shiny coating paint like that. It simply looks more real in prologue...

Top Bottom