• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue The Official Thread of Glorious Cockpit View

Tiduz

Eurogaime
paypal will get my moneys in 2 days, but because of x-mas ill be racing in January :(

Gonna pick up a G25 today and the wait for Gt5P will be long :<

Udde

nofi said:
80zevcg.gif

GT > Real Life

Damn! Buildings' shadows look almost realtime in the HD videos. Could it be posible that PD is considering daytime change in realtime???? Even if it's minimal... ideal for long races... Believe! :p

Udde said:
Damn! Buildings' shadows look almost realtime in the HD videos. Could it be posible that PD is considering daytime change in realtime???? Even if it's minimal... ideal for long races... Believe! :p
No way in hell is that even a remote possibility.

Yoboman

BeeDog said:
Too taxing for the PS3 when it's struggling like hell to render the thing it's currently showing in Prologue.
Struggling like Hell? Says who?

They've got to add damage and real time weather on top of what they've already designed, I seriously doubt it's close to struggling with what Prologue is doing

BeeDog

Well tearing and frame drops says otherwise. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one to bitch about such stuff (I found the GT5P problems very minor based on the demo I've played), but it's pretty obvious they need to optimize the engine more before they can even think about other stuff. As of now, my conclusion is the game is taxing. ;)

dankir

BeeDog said:
Too taxing for the PS3 when it's struggling like hell to render the thing it's currently showing in Prologue.

Have you even played it?

*waits for super long explanation saying how he's played it regularly and is a big fan of the GT series since day 1 but GT5: Prologue is no Forza 2 and PD should go back to the drawing board

Yoboman

BeeDog said:
Well tearing and frame drops says otherwise. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one to bitch about such stuff (I found the GT5P problems very minor based on the demo I've played), but it's pretty obvious they need to optimize the engine more before they can even think about other stuff. As of now, my conclusion is the game is taxing. ;)
Not being completely optimised is not the same as fully tapping the system. You have games that look like they belong on PS2 with framerate problems as well

BeeDog

dankir said:
Have you even played it?

*waits for super long explanation saying how he's played it regularly and is a big fan of the GT series since day 1 but GT5: Prologue is no Forza 2 and PD should go back to the drawing board

What? Do like any insane no-life GAFfer often does: check my post history (I don't like Forza 2). Also, I clearly said I played the demo; I've heard Prologue is a bit better in that sense, but there are still some minor issues.

Yoboman: Of course I know that. But I was basing my assumption on that Polyphony are programming gods when it comes to the Playstation 1/2/3 hardware, and since there are minor visual artifacts in Prologue, I'd expect them to have (almost) hit a wall with how many additions they can stuff in. Then again, I don't really know how big the leap was between GT3/4 Prologue and the final games in terms of graphics etc. But as said, assumptions.

dankir

BeeDog said:
What? Do like any insane no-life GAFfer often does: check my post history (I don't like Forza 2). Also, I clearly said I played the demo; I've heard Prologue is a bit better in that sense, but there are still some minor issues.

Yoboman: Of course I know that. But I was basing my assumption on that Polyphony are programming gods when it comes to the Playstation 1/2/3 hardware, and since there are minor visual artifacts in Prologue, I'd expect them to have (almost) hit a wall with how many additions they can stuff in. Then again, I don't really know how big the leap was between GT3/4 Prologue and the final games in terms of graphics etc. But as said, assumptions.

Hheheeh just checking

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
BeeDog said:

Exactly. Optimization and struggle are two different things. Optimizing takes some time, it's pretty much just bug fixing, which is time consuming - it has nothing to do with the system's ability to render or not render something.

Ranger X

I played it yesterday at lunch time and i'm gonna do it today too. GT5 PROLOGUE KICKS MAJOR ASS.

You guys are seriously the pickiest living form ever created by God. I don't what he thought. He must have been drunk during creation time at some point.

Yoboman

BeeDog said:

They've planned for damage and other effects since day one. They're not gonna drive straight into a wall when they've still got other stuff to add

SolidSnakex said:
Why not? From the start that's one of the things Kaz said he wanted to do with GT5. The other being real time weather changing.
Beyond the absolutely unmatched models, a big part of GT5's visuals is it's lighting, and there is no way in hell they can pull of dynamic lighting and retain that level of visual fidelity.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Ranger X said:
I played it yesterday at lunch time and i'm gonna do it today too. GT5 PROLOGUE KICKS MAJOR ASS.

You guys are seriously the pickiest living form ever created by God. I don't what he thought. He must have been drunk during creation time at some point.

I have seen a few minor instances of slowdown but it's not as bad as the predictable few might lead you to believe.

Like many have pointed out before, there's a couple of things you may want to consider before reaching a final decision about an unfinished product.

1.)It's not finished

2.)It's PD, bitches

GottiDC

Banned
Udde said:

DAMN

dankir

MickeyKnox said:
Beyond the absolutely unmatched models, a big part of GT5's visuals is it's lighting, and there is no way in hell they can pull of dynamic lighting and retain that level of visual fidelity.

Says you.

avaya

Big Nate said:
I'm tempted to say "Show me how to pass the C-Class Suzuki Swift challenge!" but really all I need to know about it is this: Is it possible to complete the challenge in 1st place WITHOUT drafting the other faster cars on the track?

I get that the C-Class Mission race is exactly that, you draft each pack of cars and slingshot yourself around Daytona. I went from getting consistent 10th place to now getting consistent 6th place last night, I just have to figure out the correct line to get past the last grouping, which I'm sure I'll get eventually.

However, in the Suzuki Swift race I keep getting 1'06" laptimes driving my ass off. If I absolutely MUST draft the other cars to win, well that's different (and stupid, but whatever), at least I know it's not my driving causing me to lose.

Maybe I'm one of these people who like the feel of Forza 2 better, because in that game I blazed through it and finished the whole game with little effort.

Answer to your question is yes. However you must not spend any longer than 2 corners in close proximity behind any car.

At Suzuka slipstreaming isn't necessary. Suzuka lap time is dependent on sector one (not the T1 GT5 shows you, F1 S1 which finishes at the corner before the hairpin: Degner II)

Turn One, Esses, Dunlop, Degner I and Degner II. Keep your rhythm. The Esses are in 4 parts: First is easy flat (with a comfort lift if you want), second is dab of the brake to settle the car and again flat, third is same again, fourth is slightly stronger braking and then hug the inside and open the throttle to exit flat but don't hit the outside kerb, keep it tight for Dunlop coming up. For Dunlop lift off the throttle to shift the car into the corner and then flat before the entry to the second apex. Degner I, brake at the last marker board lightly and then turn in early, cut as much as you can. Degner II, brake after the exit kerbing from Degner I finishes and again turn in early and apply throttle early.

S2 is really about Spoon (the long double apex corner) and 130R (the corner before the final chicane).

You're maybe having trouble with the lower-powered car vs. what you did in Forza. Driving style really needs to adapt to make these lightweight cars keep speed. Their natural tendency to understeer makes people think they are going flat out but are in fact haemorrhaging speed. Example of this is the Suzuki Liana on the Top Gear test track when celebrities compete.

gcubed

its sitting on my doorstep and i'm stuck at work, i want to see all this for myself to make up my own damn mind. I want to go home now!

I have the old a spec wheel, whats the best one available nowadays?

MickeyKnox said:

But hasn't GT5's development really been "Polyphony can't do this" and then they do it? Sure it seems like a big task, but it doesn't mean they can't do it.

natureman3 said:
the new trailer i've seen on gamersyde is kinf of godly. Is it also real-time or pre-rendered ? especially the section inside London.

Polyphony hasn't used any CG for GT5.

ThirdEye

dankir said:
Have you even played it?

I guess BeeDog is the same person who said GTHD looks beautiful cuz it can't have more than 1 car on screen

avaya said:
You're maybe having trouble with the lower-powered car vs. what you did in Forza. Driving style really needs to adapt to make these lightweight cars keep speed. Their natural tendency to understeer makes people think they are going flat out but are in fact haemorrhaging speed. Example of this is the Suzuki Liana on the Top Gear test track when celebrities compete.

Yea, the tendency for those cars to push is painful on the sports tires you are required to use in trials. The two C class time trials are the only events I haven't gotten gold on yet out of classes B & C.

nofi said:
It will have full online multiplayer in 6 days.

as opposed to half? seriously what does "full" mean? 16 cars on track like promised? tons of options? i have a sinking feeling they put too much effort into the presentation and just added on multiplayer because it's now cost of entry in this genre.

are there more details about the online multiplayer component anywhere? isn't it supposed to come out soon?

nofi

SeaOfMadness said:
as opposed to half? seriously what does "full" mean? 16 cars on track like promised? tons of options? i have a sinking feeling they put too much effort into the presentation and just added on multiplayer because it's now cost of entry in this genre.

are there more details about the online multiplayer component anywhere? isn't it supposed to come out soon?

Yes, as opposed to half. eyeroll.gif

Seems like you don't want to like it anyway.

belvedere said:
I have seen a few minor instances of slowdown but it's not as bad as the predictable few might lead you to believe.

Like many have pointed out before, there's a couple of things you may want to consider before reaching a final decision about an unfinished product.

1.)It's not finished

2.)It's PD, bitches

excuse me? the "unfinished product" argument does not fly anymore. when you're paying $30-40, calling it an unfinished product just makes the people who paid for it angry. if it's unfinished, why isn't it free?

sure other finished games have slowdown as well and people have every right to complain.

SeaOfMadness said:

You haven't been following the game that much have you? The entire point of releasing the GT4 Online beta was for them to get feedback from fans of what they liked and what they wanted added so they could apply it to GT5. From the start of development online play has been a big focus for GT5. It isn't some tacked on feature because its now a feature that all racing games have.

Niks

Online event (the opposition mode maximum of 16)
Online event (time trial mode)
Online ranking function of time trial
Ghost download function of time trial

All we know for now...

Yoboman said:
They've planned for damage and other effects since day one. They're not gonna drive straight into a wall when they've still got other stuff to add

And otherwise they just don't add it. Don't be disappointed if damage isn't in the way you'd expect it.

BeeDog

I'm sorry if I'm asking something that has clearly been noted several times before, but:

What is actually in this Prologue? What can you do, what options are available etc.?

I would really like this to be clarified so I know if I should buy the game now (either online or via Yesasia), or wait for the localized version.

nofi

BeeDog said:
I'm sorry if I'm asking something that has clearly been noted several times before, but:

What is actually in this Prologue? What can you do, what options are available etc.?

I would really like this to be clarified so I know if I should buy the game now (either online or via Yesasia), or wait for the localized version.

Grrr. FIRST POST.

nofi said:
Yes, as opposed to half. eyeroll.gif

Seems like you don't want to like it anyway.

i want it to be what people are hyping it to be. but all i hear is "the details, the lighting, the shadows, the cars"... all graphics.

it's fucking gorgeous. i get it.

but it's a *racing* game. why don't i hear anyone praising the AI, or the online multiplayer (i know it's not playable yet), or the other features? the physics and AI just seem on par (at best) with forza 2. but those are way more important to me than graphics.

i've played gt5p and watched friends play it as well. right now, it's beautiful, but i can't say it's more fun just because it looks so good. i enjoy multiplayer more so that's really the part i'm eager to get my hands on. i want to like this game, but that doesn't mean i will.

actually i think i really want the final gt5. that's where all the cool features seem to be lurking (auctions, spectator, photos, etc...)

nofi

SeaOfMadness said:
i want it to be what people are hyping it to be. but all i hear is "the details, the lighting, the shadows, the cars"... all graphics.

it's fucking gorgeous. i get it.

but it's a *racing* game. why don't i hear anyone praising the AI, or the online multiplayer (i know it's not playable yet), or the other features? the physics and AI just seem on par (at best) with forza 2. but those are way more important to me than graphics.

i've played gt5p and watched friends play it as well. right now, it's beautiful, but i can't say it's more fun just because it looks so good. i enjoy multiplayer more so that's really the part i'm eager to get my hands on. i want to like this game, but that doesn't mean i will.

actually i think i really want the final gt5. that's where all the cool features seem to be lurking (auctions, spectator, photos, etc...)

Cool, then wait for that. The rest of us have £20 to spare and are happily enjoying the finest racing possible right now. We won't know how well the multiplayer works until Christmas day.

belvedere

Junior Butler
SeaOfMadness said:
excuse me? the "unfinished product" argument does not fly anymore. when you're paying $30-40, calling it an unfinished product just makes the people who paid for it angry. if it's unfinished, why isn't it free?

sure other finished games have slowdown as well and people have every right to complain.

So you've honestly convinced yourself that there won't be a single improvement (technical or not) in GT5, simply because you paid for it? GT5:prologue is just fucking that, an early glimpse at what to expect from GT5 when it's released and it just so happens to be OPTIONAL, for those of us who chose to play it early.

You're trying way too hard.

SolidSnakex said:
You haven't been following the game that much have you? The entire point of releasing the GT4 Online beta was for them to get feedback from fans of what they liked and what they wanted added so they could apply it to GT5. From the start of development online play has been a big focus for GT5. It isn't some tacked on feature because its now a feature that all racing games have.

yes i know. i've read all about that. but saying it and doing it are two different things. i will trust them for now.

but i just realized something. this game is supposed to be out only for japan, but a lot of us have been getting it in the us and uk via "other" means. but if most people playing it online will be from japan, i'm not sure the experience will be that great playing so many people from japan with me being in the us. and with 16 cars.. i guess we'll see soon enough

nofi

SeaOfMadness said:
yes i know. i've read all about that. but saying it and doing it are two different things. i will trust them for now.

but i just realized something. this game is supposed to be out only for japan, but a lot of us have been getting it in the us and uk via "other" means. but if most people playing it online will be from japan, i'm not sure the experience will be that great playing so many people from japan with me being in the us. and with 16 cars.. i guess we'll see soon enough

Ridge Racer 7 worked fine, but sure, keep trying.

SeaOfMadness said:

If you read the posts of people who have it they're praising other aspects of it. Most people in this thread though don't have it yet, rather it be because they're waiting for the final version, US version or just waiting for their import version, so they can only really comment on the graphics.

Graphics are a big part of the racing genre though which is why its such a big focus for people. If you're trying to make a game that plays realistically, then people will want a racer that looks realistic.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
nofi said:
80zevcg.gif

GT > Real Life
ffs, which one is the real one?

EDIT: I'm serious.

belvedere said:
So you've honestly convinced yourself that there won't be a single improvement (technical or not) in GT5, simply because you paid for it? GT5:prologue is just fucking that, an early glimpse at what to expect from GT5 when it's released and it just so happens to be OPTIONAL, for those of us who chose to play it early.

You're trying way too hard.

i never said there weren't improvements. i'm not saying gt5p isn't worth paying for. $35 for it is not a bad price. i'm just saying stop calling it "unfinished" because that implies it's "unpolished". they are 2 different things.

when there is slowdown in a racing game, that's unpolished. it's not like it will get fixed in the upcoming weeks before it releases. it's already out. gt5p is finished. gt5 is not finished.

nofi

SeaOfMadness said:
i never said there weren't improvements. i'm not saying gt5p isn't worth paying for. $35 for it is not a bad price. i'm just saying stop calling it "unfinished" because that implies it's "unpolished". they are 2 different things.

when there is slowdown in a racing game, that's unpolished. it's not like it will get fixed in the upcoming weeks before it releases. it's already out. gt5p is finished. gt5 is not finished.

Don't make it sound like the occasional slowdown and slight tearing is anything to get worked up about. Tell you what - buy the game - if you don't like it I'll buy the Blu-ray off you at cost.

Udde

natureman3 said:
the new trailer i've seen on gamersyde is kinf of godly. Is it also real-time or pre-rendered ? especially the section inside London.

The eternal question :D . PD almost always uses in-game assets, lighting, and everything, but adds an extra perfect AA to make it look outofthisworld in the FMV intros.

BeeDog said:

Yeah, I get your point, but remeber, things are impossible until someone does them. Remeber the "imposible to have 16 cars with this detail" when GTHD came out? I find it extremely hard to do too, but PD can surprise us again, I have no doubt about that.

BeeDog said:

I suppose you could also say that **** and *****, as well as Orange Box, Madden 2008, or many other games with visual issues are taxing the PS3?

:lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
nofi said:
The one without the text-overlaid clock in the middle, mate. ;)
Wow :(

BeeDog

Udde said:
Yeah, I get your point, but remeber, things are impossible until someone does them. Remeber the "imposible to have 16 cars with this detail" when GTHD came out? I find it extremely hard to do too, but PD can surprise us again, I have no doubt about that.

Indeed, that's why I'm not a pessimist when it comes to GT5: I know it will rock. Hard. :D GT5:p seems to be über-polished anyway when compared to other released full-fledged games.

jeremy_ricci said:
I suppose you could also say that **** and *****, as well as Orange Box, Madden 2008, or many other games with visual issues are taxing the PS3?

:lol

Read my other posts after that one. -_-

Top Bottom