• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 could evolve into Gran Turismo 7 when it hits PS4, says Yamauchi

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So in case you were wondering about Gran Turismo 6 on PS4, Yamauchi has done a good job making the situation less clear.

Joystiq said:
Gran Turismo 6 could evolve into GT7 on PS4, says Yamauchi

By the time a PlayStation 4 version of Gran Turismo 6 is developed, it could evolve into Gran Turismo 7. That's according to Polyphony Digital CEO Kazunori Yamauchi, who at a Gamescom panel reiterated that his studio has a PS4 version of its PS3 game in mind, but said that it could take some time to arrive.

There's a distinct possibility it would be called Gran Turismo 7 by then, Yamauchi said, adding that he doesn't know if the "vision" of Gran Turismo 6 would carry over to this hypothetical GT7. That's a lot of hypotheticals flying about, but bear in mind we're in a limbo where Gran Turismo 6 on PS4 has been everything but confirmed.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/22/gran-turismo-6-could-evolve-into-gt7-on-ps4-says-yamauchi/

This is what happened with GT3. GT2000 was originally just intended to be a remaster of GT2 for the PS2, but it ended up changing so much that they renamed it GT3.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
"Take some time to arrive" is no doubt going to an understatement, I just hope they don't take as long to get a proper GT game on PS4 as they did with PS3, I don't count Prologues or anything like that HD demo with track we had on PS3. A proper full GT release, even if it is just a shiny port of GT6, it's better than waiting 4-5 years for something substantial.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
which sounds like its a loooong ways off.

thanks for making my decision easy, forza in 2013 it is.

Ploid 3.0

This is what happened with GT3. GT2000 was originally just intended to be a remaster of GT2 for the PS2, but it ended up changing so much that they renamed it GT3.

Yep, and I would have been happy with GT2000. GT PS4 will look crazy, it should take them less time to code for it as well.

ethomaz

Banned
GI interview showed that...

"I think the Playstation 4 is going to raise the quality of the applications on all levels, lift it all up. Compared to the PS3, the PS4 uses a more generic CPU that anybody can draw out the performance for. The PS3, on the other hand, has very high peaks on just some of the elements and it is hardware that is more difficult to handle. It's fun to wrestle with that and try and get it to put out that performance. Once we start work on Gran Turismo for the PS4, perhaps it will be GT7. At that point, I guess we'll start to look of the peak performance for the PS4."
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/08/22/gran-turismo-6s-director-talks.aspx

Maybe it is just a mistranslation.

And yes GT7 is for PS4 even it it is a GT6 port.

GT6 Spec 2.0 on PS4 sometime in 2014, why can't it be? I don't even want updated graphics, just the immediacy that comes with PS4(faster boot up, load times, ingame xmb, not having to use 2 consoles for the next 3-4 years) is more than enough.

Hmm, so now I wonder whether to hold off on GT6 and just wait for GT7 on PS4, or jump on GT6 in December which looks like a large improvement on GT5 already.

The quality of Driveclub might have a say in this I guess, even if they're completely different racing games. Decisions, decisions.

God dammit. I really had hopes that Sony demanded they port GT6 to PS4 by the fall of 2014, but nope. It looks like Sony is still giving Polyphony a free reign, and it's gonna be years before we see a true GT on PS4.

Not smart. Sony need to do a better job of maximizing their IP.

Bradf50

Don't know why people are still expecting them to take 5 years per game... Read the round table interview they had with Kaz and it's clear they struggled to get to grips with the difficult ps3 hardware. Now they're more familiar with it, look what they've done with GT6! New rendering engine, lighting & physics etc in pretty much half the time of what it took to make GT5. Yes GT5 took a long time, and yes it's a fail on their part, however I feel they've learned their lesson now. It's pretty clear to me that they have built a solid base for the physics and other stuff to build from with GT6 so they wont have to start from scratch everywhere. With the "easy to develop for ps4" I'm sure that will save them a good chunk of dev time compared to the PS3 ( As I'm sure Cerny said about Knack they've saved around 6 months of dev time compared to developing for the PS3 architecture). So, I personally believe that we will see a GT7 at the end of 2015 to coincide with a Forza 6 release.

I know it's pretty soon to be talking GT7 but I tell ya, I for one can not wait to see what PD can do with the PS4 hardware! GT6 looks spectacular as is for a PS3 game, but imagine the Nurburgring in GT7!

Anyway, just my thoughts about it all. :)

Thanks for reading, brad. :)

what an awful developer... they are just chasing $$$ by releasing GT6 on PS3. Look at Turn 10, they could have released Forza 5 on 360 and gone after the mass userbase, but they had balls to make a next gen game.

yea 2015 release day confirmed

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about porting GT6 to the PS4 if it's going to take them a decent amount of time to do it. Just get on straight ahead making GT7 for the PS4. Keep those wheels spinning at a steady pace; no one wants a sequel in ten years time when they can have it in 8 years time.

Ted

Gotta be honest, I'm so the same....

...why is it Gran Turismo is the one franchise I will forgive of all its sins?

Some of the best MP moments for me this gen have been in GT5 series races or clean shuffle lobbies, in some cases essentially racing PS2 flavoured shopping carts. Gran Turismo online might be a frustrating pig at times but the lobby system and some clean mates combined with a strict and imaginative host can make some *fantastic* racing.

I look forward to seeing what hosts will do with the already outlined features coming up in 6 and any evolutions beyond in 7.

And I'm ashamed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
jesus, just release 6 on PS4 already. You've re-engineered it significantly for new physics, rendering engine, front end. Presumably that is currently close to your 'vision' otherwise why release it on PS3?

is your vision going to change that quickly? Just get the damn game out, and then we can happily wait for GT7 while playing GT6 on our PS4s

GT6 Spec 2.0 on PS4 sometime in 2014, why can't it be? I don't even want updated graphics, just the immediacy that comes with PS4(faster boot up, load times, ingame xmb, not having to use 2 consoles for the next 3-4 years) is more than enough.

exactly. Let us transfer the save across and you'll get lots of people double dipping.

Just for once, think about what your fans want, not what you want to do sir.

might as well just make the PS4 version GT7 and release it in two years or so, unless it's a simple upscale job (which, coming from Yamauchi, I'd highly doubt).

GT6 looks damn good, though. I can't even imagine what Polyphony could do with the PS4 hardware.

Bradf50

what an awful developer... they are just chasing $$$ by releasing GT6 on PS3. Look at Turn 10, they could have released Forza 5 on 360 and gone after the mass userbase, but they had balls to make a next gen game.

I'd say they're one of the best dev's IMO. Yeah they messed up with GT5, but that game also showed glimpses of brilliance such as the dynamic lighting on the Nurburgring is spectacular. Hopefully they can achieve them results more often in GT6. There even using tessellation on the PS3! From what I've read online, thats quite an achievement.

Why wouldn't they? with a 70M + user base to sell to, I would... Sony don't need them on PS4 yet as there's already a driving game at launch (#Driveclub).

I'd say its more likely that Microsoft forced them to go next gen and obviously their 2 year release schedule fitted in nicely with the XB1.

Blame Sony for not pressuring PD into making a launch game.

Personally I am happy that Sony/PD are continuing to support their current console instead of rushing a half-baked game out for next-gen launch. It's not like PS4 needs GT6 to sell out right now anyway.

Cornbread78

Blame Sony for not pressuring PD into making a launch game.

Personally I am happy that Sony/PD are continuing to support their current console instead of rushing a half-baked game out for next-gen launch. It's not like PS4 needs GT6 to sell out right now anyway.

Correct, E3 reveal all but confirmed....

Why are they so late? Sony should have worked with them when designing the PS4, and GT6 should have had PS4 in mind from the start.

It just doesn't make any sense to me.

jesus, just release 6 on PS4 already. You've re-engineered it significantly for new physics, rendering engine, front end. Presumably that is currently close to your 'vision' otherwise why release it on PS3?

is your vision going to change that quickly? Just get the damn game out, and then we can happily wait for GT7 while playing GT6 on our PS4s

exactly. Let us transfer the save across and you'll get lots of people double dipping.

Just for once, think about what your fans want, not what you want to do sir.

This is where I think Sony should step in and make an occasional demand. Having a GT6 PS4 edition late in 2014 would be a huge boost for the console. It's also perfectly doable. The game already looks great on PS3, so boosting the graphics to a native 1080p, locked 60fps, and tweak some lighting and textures, and you'd have a great PS4 game.

Then Sony could give them 2 more years to make an actual GT7. Sony just seems like that dad that wants to be friends with the kids sometimes. Just letting them do whatever they fuck they want.

eso76

translation:

"when PS4 GT6 ships we might have to call it 7 or people will laugh at us for re-releasing an old game"

"then again, there's a fair chance people will have forgotten what number we released last by then"

Business

With all those next gen features like weather and night/day

tumblr_m7zsj1rdBL1rsy50k.gif

johnny956

What's surprised me about GT6 is the announced date compared to the release date. GT6 was announced in what, May? It's coming out in December. The good news is when they announce GT7 hopefully it'll be the same release year. Honestly I'm not expecting any news until 2015. They might be working on pre-production on GT7 now but they are in full force with GT6 until the end of 2013.

Don't know if I get the "vision" comment. Pretty sure the point of every successive GT installment is to look better, have more realistic physics, have more, newer cars and have new tracks.

Top Bottom