• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

benzy

Also, apparently, he knows nothing about course maker, which translates into a nice boat on Antlantic with some rods on the back and refrigirator for beers under the first deck.

...Your soon comment was in regards to course maker right?

gary-coleman-as-arnold-diffrent-strokes-18022862-640-480.jpg

Effect

I wonder if the "arcade mode" was wrongly named. I didn't go into it until now thinking it was well an arcade mode and that wasn't what I was looking for in a simish styled racing game. Decided to go into it for the hell of it tonight and to find out it's the mode I was kinda looking for as I was doing career. Ugh. I was wondering where I could simply set things up to where everyone had the same model car and not this weird mix in career mode. Where I could have more then two or three laps and where I could have more then 6 people per race. Was starting to think something like this wasn't in the game. Of course it doesn't help my copy of the game didn't come with the manual. Maybe it's spelled out in there. The game itself completely directs me to the career mode and events.

Due to not finding that right away I was seriously considering just biting the bullet and getting Project Cars again (something I really didn't want to do considering how they've been acting with the Wii U and Project Cars 2 issues) or trying out Forza 4 or maybe even Assetto Corsa on the PC.

This is after I had returned the game after my last post and then decided to pick it up again from a different gamestop today because I was sort of regretting the decision and I was having the above thoughts about picking up a different game. Figured I might not have given it a full shake. Many more things are now opening up and with finding out what the arcade mode actually is I think the game is going to be satisfying desires I might be having for a simulation game.

I still don't like the rolling starts though. Also I can drive on the moon!?!?

Do many on gaf still play from time to time or have many largely moved on?

^ I keep up with the VGT's and run an occasional seasonal especially if it's got a matte paint I want. Otherwise I'm done.

For me a longer than the 8 top time list for time trials and stockyard cars showing as owned would improve replay value. CM is a pipe dream now.

paskowitz

I wonder if the "arcade mode" was wrongly named. I didn't go into it until now thinking it was well an arcade mode and that wasn't what I was looking for in a simish styled racing game. Decided to go into it for the hell of it tonight and to find out it's the mode I was kinda looking for as I was doing career. Ugh. I was wondering where I could simply set things up to where everyone had the same model car and not this weird mix in career mode. Where I could have more then two or three laps and where I could have more then 6 people per race. Was starting to think something like this wasn't in the game. Of course it doesn't help my copy of the game didn't come with the manual. Maybe it's spelled out in there. The game itself completely directs me to the career mode and events.

Due to not finding that right away I was seriously considering just biting the bullet and getting Project Cars again (something I really didn't want to do considering how they've been acting with the Wii U and Project Cars 2 issues) or trying out Forza 4 or maybe even Assetto Corsa on the PC.

This is after I had returned the game after my last post and then decided to pick it up again from a different gamestop today because I was sort of regretting the decision and I was having the above thoughts about picking up a different game. Figured I might not have given it a full shake. Many more things are now opening up and with finding out what the arcade mode actually is I think the game is going to be satisfying desires I might be having for a simulation game.

I moved on and have not looked back. AC, rF2, pCARS, GSC, DiRT Rally, etc. More than enough "sim" content out there to keep depressed GT players happy. Granted it helps to have a capable gaming PC, but that is an investment that has other uses as well. I recently picked up a PS4 for $95 (super deal combo). It is currently collecting dust until GT7 arrives.

benzy

Already the beginning developments of your love/hate relationship with this game, lmao.

I think most people here probably won't be back in online races until we can start creating and sharing our custom tracks. I still mostly play just to take screenshots or video footage while waiting for the course maker.

unidaurkip.gif

Mascot

Okay, this is fully a tinfoil material.

Come on.

Also, apparently, he knows nothing about course maker, which translates into a nice boat on Antlantic with some rods on the back and refrigirator for beers under the first deck.

Amar-trap™ successfully sprung! Now we have you captured, reveal everything you know.

Yiazmat

Already the beginning developments of your love/hate relationship with this game, lmao.

I think most people here probably won't be back in online races until we can start creating and sharing our custom tracks. I still mostly play just to take screenshots or video footage while waiting for the course maker.

unidaurkip.gif

Dat photorealistic look. When will Driveclub ever? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Having a clear out and popped GT4 in and it's still looking good. Hong Kong needs to return, just imagine it expanded, in full glory, weather and everything on PS4 banderas.gif

tv2015072714490100tmswu.jpg

tv2015072714485100jcs98.jpg

tv2015072714470200nasc6.jpg

Surely Polyphony are hoarding bigger areas for all the city tracks? London is already known about and missing in action, Tokyo, New York, Paris, Hong Kong and the rest? No way did they just capture those small areas.

GT Sport reveal with the Shanghai circuit tomorrow? Is GT even popular in China?

benzy

Dat photorealistic look. When will Driveclub ever? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Lol! DC actually looks pretty photoreal in cockpit/dash/hood cam. Once you're in third person cam or replays it's not as convincing though. Bright afternoon lighting has never looked this real in GT. No doubt PD will take the throne with GT7.

eoaldpyhbh.gif

Having a clear out and popped GT4 in and it's still looking good. Hong Kong needs to return, just imagine it expanded, in full glory, weather and everything on PS4 banderas.gif

tv2015072714490100tmswu.jpg

tv2015072714485100jcs98.jpg

tv2015072714470200nasc6.jpg

Surely Polyphony are hoarding bigger areas for all the city tracks? London is already known about and missing in action, Tokyo, New York, Paris, Hong Kong and the rest? No way did they just capture those small areas.

GT Sport reveal with the Shanghai circuit tomorrow? Is GT even popular in China?

We need more city night tracks. hnnnggg.

dtvvthksbo.jpg

BarracudaShibuya1.jpg~original

mekjkzkufh.gif

magawolaz

What the hell is this stuff about GTPlanet mods hinting about how nobody has been able to guess what happened to course maker?
Has anyone guessed patent infringement yet?
idk, they stopped answering questions about the course maker. They confirmed it's still coming to GT6, and then denied there were technical problems or marketing stunts behind the delay.

But I don't get why they aren't disclosing what they know.

This also got me thinking about this old thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=522498
Both the photo album and GTP article were deleted. Seeing how they were all racing cars... Was that for GT Sport already? Maybe a small, secondary team was just starting to work on the project.

Wax, back me up on this. Amar, wink if I'm onto something.

Mobius 1

So many questions...

When did PD start development of the GT engine for the PS4? They're Sony's flagship studio, surely they were consulted or involved in the console's development from an advisory perspective.

If they started that development early on, they're at least 2 years into it. And since creating content doesn't necessitate a complete engine and can happen in parallel after the main rendering capabilities are in place, have they been porting over the content that was meant to be released on the PS3?

Is GT Sport a more complete Prologue release, with just GT cars and a few tracks, to hold people over until GT7 proper is ready?

Did they outsource the Course Maker for GT6 to another developer, or an internal alternative team, in order to at least fulfill their promises?

Why do I bother with this at all?

Fess it up Amar.

Yiazmat

Maybe someone accidentally deleted all the code for the Course Maker and they had to start all over again from scratch. It's a very plausible scenario.

rtaab9i.gif

paskowitz

If I had to guess what GT Sport is, it would be an additional component to GT7 (that is also available to download for free for select events, hence the rumor of a separate game) that provides regulated, sanctioned, and tightly controlled online racing competitions (think iRacing + GT Academy). These special online races would have a certain time period for seed qualifying that would be set by time trials. Your seed would determine what race you end up in. A standard qualifying session would precede each race to determine grid order. The race would commence. The winner would receive an in game or real life prize. Eventually GT Academy would be integrated into this structure (probably maintaining just time trials). All tracks and cars would be FIA sanctioned.

These events would be single events, or week/month long championships. Over time, more advanced qualifying methods similar to FIA licenses would be integrated. This would be the start of a driver rating system.

The primary objective of all of this would be to produce quality online racing content that would be rebroadcast through official PlayStation, PD, FIA, GT3 channels and the promotion of IRL FIA racing (duh). While Gran Turismo TV was not exactly a success, I would be shocked if IRL FIA footage was not integrated, if only minimally. I would shocked if they don't try to promote their road safety angle. Add in celebrity races or real drivers for a little extra flair. Further down the road I could see IRL and GT integration with ghost times from IRL qualifying sessions, live timing for FIA races in GT (or in...) and an PPV FIA app for the PS4.

p3n

I think the reason is just Kaz not being satisfied how the course maker turned out. That would explain why no one is telling anything because it would just lead to endless shitstorms on GTPlanet and other sites without changing anything.

Yiazmat

Just now? Shit, I haven't turned my PS3 on in months.. And I seriously doubt anything they do with GT6 would get me to do it, either. Time to move on.
GPS Course Maker will bring us all together. We'll all recreate our local tracks and share them with the entire world.

Only a little longer now. Gamescom is in 3 days.

qPEQNBe.gif

Jedi2016

You're probably right, I just don't think it will ever make it to GT6. If it ever shows, it'll be in GT7 or GT9 or some such.

Mascot

I have big fears for GT7. I just know there's going to be one major design decision that will baffle us all into oblivion, something so utterly ridiculous we can't yet even begin to imagine its sheer stupidity.

I have big fears for GT7. I just know there's going to be one major design decision that will baffle us all into oblivion, something so utterly ridiculous we can't yet even begin to imagine its sheer stupidity.

I imagined Gandalf saying that in all its epicness.

amar212

Listening at "communities" (AKA vocal minorities) has already took too many from GT6 compared to GT5 and previous games:

- Used Cars game-in-game
- Maintenance/Ownership aspect was dumbed down severily
- B-Spec was turned from semi-learning AI with sub-game-in-game approach into useless Cr-machine without any prospect
- ...which killed the Remote Races and distant dream of B-Spec Online Multiplayer as casualties
- Endurance Races
- A-Spec points
- etc.

Of course, all above being changed/removed for GT6 wouldn't happen without internal pressure from SCE producers, but that is another story. But internal pressure changed a lot for GT6 and while making it more "approachable" for short-term players, they completely negated everything that made GT series what it is for long-term players.

So, if another similar change is made, be sure to send a love letter and flowered candy-box at the local SCEA headqurters.

I don't care what they do as long as the AI is fixed and has sliders so I can balance their pace to match mine, features GPS Course Maker, single event / championship creator, bikes, Snaefell Mountain and McLaren Honda, past and present on day one.

Well, we're now one month away from our next chance to see it which will be TGS. After that there's just PGW and PSX. Both of which are also obvious possibilities. Kaz seemed pretty confident that it'll be released next year, so I don' see why we have to wait until then to at least see the game.

Later this month Kaz should be at the Concours d'Elegance. I don't think he's usually interviewed there, unless some car magazine gets to him. But at least we'll get to see a car that could be in the game. Right now we're looking at these from the previous years

aston-martin-db3s-2-3gclgc.jpg

ferrari-500-mondial-bf0xh6.jpg

img_8322wel6y.jpg

Listening at "communities" (AKA vocal minorities) has already took too many from GT6 compared to GT5 and previous games:

- Used Cars game-in-game
- Maintenance/Ownership aspect was dumbed down severily
- B-Spec was turned from semi-learning AI with sub-game-in-game approach into useless Cr-machine without any prospect
- ...which killed the Remote Races and distant dream of B-Spec Online Multiplayer as casualties
- Endurance Races
- A-Spec points
- etc.

Of course, all above being changed/removed for GT6 wouldn't happen without internal pressure from SCE producers, but that is another story. But internal pressure changed a lot for GT6 and while making it more "approachable" for short-term players, they completely negated everything that made GT series what it is for long-term players.

So, if another similar change is made, be sure to send a love letter and flowered candy-box at the local SCEA headqurters.

Hummm, did Poliphony at least tried a compromising approach to this? If SCEA would've require changes, PD could've develop concepts to further improve GT's usability without negating old features. All the excentric things about Gran Turismo games never were bad, they just needed some tweaking and overhauling.

I mean, It's not like SCEA come down to them saying what goes and what doesn't in their game, or was it?

Take the endurance races as an example. SCEA says they are too long, few people bother to do them and some are complaining. PD could have said "Hmm. Ok, here's what we are going to do: we'll leave to the players decide if they want to do a full blown 24 hours race, or if they want to scale it down for whatever reason. Plus, we'll compensate players that choose to race longer with better car and credits prizes".

That would work. Simply dumbing the game down seems to be a very dramatic and potentially bad take on this issue, because long term fans got disappointed and newer ones won't care.

Feedback from a vocal minority is feedback nonetheless. When you got people talking to you about your work you can either listen in order to improve, or ignoring complaints and praises, taking the risk of wound up pissing everybody off by doing so. Poliphony chose yet another way, they simply went for the route in which they listened to SCEA and answered by hurting the game as a whole.

By that logic, now they have a vocal minority complaining about features they ditched, or didn't release, so what they'll do next? Not release a game at all to avoid dealing with expectations?

paskowitz

Hummm, did Poliphony at least tried a compromising approach to this? If SCEA would've require changes, PD could've develop concepts to further improve GT's usability without negating old features. All the excentric things about Gran Turismo games never were bad, they just needed some tweaking and overhauling.

I mean, It's not like SCEA come down to them saying what goes and what doesn't in their game, or was it?

Take the endurance races as an example. SCEA says they are too long, few people bother to do them and some are complaining. PD could have said "Hmm. Ok, here's what we are going to do: we'll leave to the players decide if they want to do a full blown 24 hours race, or if they want to scale it down for whatever reason. Plus, we'll compensate players that choose to race longer with better car and credits prizes".

That would work. Simply dumbing the game down seems to be a very dramatic and potentially bad take on this issue, because long term fans got disappointed and newer ones won't care.

Feedback from a vocal minority is feedback nonetheless. When you got people talking to you about your work you can either listen in order to improve, or ignoring complaints and praises, taking the risk of wound up pissing everybody off by doing so. Poliphony chose yet another way, they simply went for the route in which they listened to SCEA and answered by hurting the game as a whole.

By that logic, now they have a vocal minority complaining about features they ditched, or didn't release, so what they'll do next? Not release a game at all to avoid dealing with expectations?

Conjecture: I think the issue was they probably did focus groups/play tests and players complained that GT5 was generally "overwhelming" with too many options. Then there is the matter of execution. An endurance race, with 16 cars on track is not all that fun in GT due to other issues (car count and AI durpness).

The removal of B-Spec is really confusing though. I LOVED running B-Spec races while at work. How people didn't find this appealing is beyond me.

Since the "theme" of the PS4 is "sharing", I would have to assume the majority of GT7's "main" features are going to center around the share button/function. Photo mode, replays, course maker, tuning setups, loaning cars, ghost times, etc are going to be in the focus.

Beyond GT5's coursemaker, I hope they include the rumored ability to use your phone as a GPS logger so you can recreate IRL roads in GT7. Kaz keeps talk about "pushing the virtual divide". This is that. People would buy GT7 just for that feature alone.

What has been removed from GT hasn't made it disappointing, it is all the ridiculous shit that has managed to stay, in some cases since GT2.. Without a major overhaul of the entire core of what it means to play a GT game, it will be more of the same. An amazing looking game that drives brilliantly in very specific situations, but only ok overhaul, and has awful, mind numbingly dumb or outdated game design and game mechanics.

I still believe PD should double down on making a driving game/experience and not yet another half assed racing game. Forza has out GT'd GT at this point. PD needs to do something that showcases their talents and their unique passion for cars. Mindlessly lapping tracks against flaccid AI does nothing for me, regardless of how incredible their new gfx engine is likely to look.

p3n

Gamescom log day two: I am still looking for the hidden GT6 course maker demo units on the sony floor. The day is almost over and hungry GT fans are scribbling "Don't believe his lies!" on the walls of the sony booth. On my way back to Namco Bandai for some more Dark Souls 3 I didn't see any lines for Forza 6. Maybe the age of console sim racers is over.

M52B28

Banned
When do you all think that PD and Sony will pull the wraps off of GT7 and blow our minds?

I'm thinking it will be a 2017 game, but knowing Sony, you never know what'll happen.

The rumors of there still being standard cars in the game is disappointing, but that's just a rumor, right?

When do you all think that PD and Sony will pull the wraps off of GT7 and blow our minds?

I'm thinking it will be a 2017 game, but knowing Sony, you never know what'll happen.

The rumors of there still being standard cars in the game is disappointing, but that's just a rumor, right?

E3 2016. Delays will put it out in December 2017 incomplete with a 2 year plan for updates to include what should've been included on release ala GT6.

They'll put out a prologue type game in the meantime but the fact that they are soooo slow to come to market with fresh titles will make the series obsolete by 2018. Too bad. I kinda liked it.

GT Sports is real?

Thought it was debunked...

Your guess is as good as anyones. I think it'll be called Gran Turismo 7. I don't see them changing the name or releasing some sort of spinoff.

TGS is a little over a month away from now. But last year Sony had their pre-TGS show on September 1st, so that's going to be our next shot at seeing it.

Effect

The damn AI in this game. Went from being mere road blocks and actively trying to spin me out in International A. That's on top of actually cheating. I'm pretty much these cars aren't even breaking either save for the car directly in front of me even then I'm sure it's just the back lights coming on but with no break. I've had games "cheat" but this is crazy at time. I've restarted this NASCAR race several times now because of the cars making me spin. Seen it several times in the replay.

On a different note I find NASCAR infinitely more interesting actually racing it then watching it. Though if it had the camera angles the replay footage this game has it would be a LOT more interesting to watch on TV.

Nice car. I remember seeing one of those being restaured by Jay Leno.

Maybe they'll put it on Gran Turismo 9, since they are so behind schedule on Peeble Beach winners.

Maybe it'll came alongside the Course Maker!

Top Bottom