• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

andylsun

Had a bit of a break from driving games over the last few months, but Microcenter have the Thrustmaster TH8A shifter at $20 off (down to $129) - it's listed as Limited Availability.

Bought (with the excuse that I'm going to teach my teenage daughter how to drive a stick shift).

Edit: shipped already!!!!

Noobcraft

Had a bit of a break from driving games over the last few months, but Microcenter have the Thrustmaster TH8A shifter at $20 off (down to $129) - it's listed as Limited Availability.

Bought (with the excuse that I'm going to teach my teenage daughter how to drive a stick shift).
Does GT6 have clutch support?

andylsun

According to the GT website, yes. I have the T500RS with 3 pedals already.

Gear Stick and Clutch Controls

If you are using a steering wheel controller that has a gear stick (such as the TH8 RS shifter for the T500 RS controller) and a clutch pedal, please be sure to select Manual (MT) transmission from Driving Options. When you start racing, paddle shift will be selected, but you can change the mode by performing the following actions:

Using the gear stick -> The gear stick will automatically become operational.
Stepping on the clutch pedal -> The gear stick and clutch will automatically become operational.
Using paddle shift controls in either of these modes will automatically switch back to paddle shift mode.

There are certain cars, such as those with torque converters, CVT, dual clutches etc. for which a clutch pedal cannot be used even if manual transmission is available.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/manual/#!/steerling/about

le-seb

Yes, but it's unplayable.

It's like you have to 100% press the clutch pedal for at least 1 second before you can properly shift gears in the game.
And it's certainly not how it works in real life, my car will let me shift gears 2-3 times faster. I'm driving a MT, of course.

Mascot

It worked more/less only during GT5:prologue and only for a short time, before "nerf" in order to stop cheating on leaderboards that was runining the competitions.

Mmm.. interesting, Amar. I'm curious to learn how a progressive analogue clutch led to cheating, and how Polyphony ever thought that a full-travel on-off digital clutch was a good idea when even chimpanzees know it clearly is an abysmal idea.

ruttyboy

Mmm.. interesting, Amar. I'm curious to learn how a progressive analogue clutch led to cheating, and how Polyphony ever thought that a full-travel on-off digital clutch was a good idea when even chimpanzees know it clearly is an abysmal idea.

I think it was something to do with pausing the game, changing gear and then unpausing it, effectively leading to instantaneous changes.

Think about how many times you change gear in a lap, it's amazing that people are that desperate, but there you are.

Jilt

We had an instance where driving a car like the Ford GT40 was way quicker using clutch, because of the shorter shifting time and the full throttle and releasing clutch gave a slight upperhand.
To make competitions more equal they eliminated the clutch.

andylsun

Thanks for the comments. The shifter will be here tomorrow.

So without derailing, out of these games, which have good clutch/h-shift implementations? I'm not looking for super racing cars and actually prefer street car racing over hyper cars.

Gran Turismo 5
Gran Turismo 6
Project Cars (PS4)
Driveclub (hardcore mode)
GT Legends (PC)
GT-R (simbin PC)
Grand Prix Legends
iRacing (don't have a sub any more and don't want to race online)

I do love GT Legends, which I think is sadly underrated. Mini around donnington is sublime.

Any sim racing titles that I should be considering that aren't on the list above (AC perhaps?)

Mascot

I think it was something to do with pausing the game, changing gear and then unpausing it, effectively leading to instantaneous changes.

Think about how many times you change gear in a lap, it's amazing that people are that desperate, but there you are.

Yeah but e-brag is serious shit, yo.

We had an instance where driving a car like the Ford GT40 was way quicker using clutch, because of the shorter shifting time and the full throttle and releasing clutch gave a slight upperhand.
To make competitions more equal they eliminated the clutch.

Cars in Forza were slightly quicker with clutched gear changes, but always carried the risk of a mis-timed shift or slipped gear. I always thought it was a great risk/reward trade-off that added to the event. It also encouraged me to adopt the clutch, resulting in a more involving and immersive drive.

Shame on Polyphony for their shortsightedness here.

amar212

As Ruttboy said, aliens went even more alien and they were literally pausing the game before corners to change gears, unpause, drove the corner, upshifted, approached the new corner, paused the game, downshifted on wheel, unpaused, rinseandrepeat.

I know it sounds crazy and unbelievable, but that was what happen.

And since asyncrhonous MP (leaderboards) were of utmost importance (various competitons and GT Academy which was in prepare in that time), only thing PD could do was to nerf the travel of the clutch.

It was rampant in the TOP100 leaderboards and all top-tier guys used the method. You couldn't break top tier without it, especially on cars with long gear-switch times.

terrible

Banned
Why not let people have a normal clutch but just disable leaderboard times when using it? That's still a lazy way to do it but at least the game could still be fun with a clutch in that scenario.

Any sim racing titles that I should be considering that aren't on the list above (AC perhaps?)

in DiRT Rally it's cool to clutch and throttle blip in hairpins to get out of the turbo lag zone.

I haven't played AC, because I wanna experience when the console release hits with everyone else, but I bet it's really good, I mean it's the game they have on the Ferrari simulator in the Ferrari museum in Maranello. Also consider R3E, rF2, the new Automobilista. The Crew also supports clutch and shifter (I have trouble with that game on PC, but maybe it's fine on PS4, idk).

Some more suggestions that I haven't tried: Grid Autosport, Stock Car Extreme, American(and Euro) Truck Simulator, BeamNG.Drive. The last two aren't really racing games though.

terrible

Banned
Looks like the Beta is delayed

From gtp (Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion) Post #2447

I doubt anyone here would be surprised if this is true. At least I didn't buy a T300 (I already have a TX) in anticipation. That would have been unfortunate.
I did.

-.-
Now I kinda wish the "shipping broken-ass games"-era wouldn't slowly come to an end ...and instead they'd pull a Driveclub with Gran Turismo Sport. As in: Shipping semi-broken with lots of features missing and then making up for it and then some in the 1 1/2 years after that
(not that I like DCs handling, but if you like it, that thing has become a quality game).

Niks

In fact Poly is very late on its schedule and having the beta for this year would be already something good.

GT for PS4 wont take as long, they said... PS4 is easier to develop for, they said....

Dead Man

-.-
Now I kinda wish the "shipping broken-ass games"-era wouldn't slowly come to an end ...and instead they'd pull a Driveclub with Gran Turismo Sport. As in: Shipping semi-broken with lots of features missing and then making up for it and then some in the 1 1/2 years after that
(not that I like DCs handling, but if you like it, that thing has become a quality game).

They tried that with GT6. Didn't really work, to my mind.

Yiazmat

fuck polyphony

SNaRgDX.gif

andylsun

in DiRT Rally it's cool to clutch and throttle blip in hairpins to get out of the turbo lag zone.

I haven't played AC, because I wanna experience when the console release hits with everyone else, but I bet it's really good, I mean it's the game they have on the Ferrari simulator in the Ferrari museum in Maranello. Also consider R3E, rF2, the new Automobilista. The Crew also supports clutch and shifter (I have trouble with that game on PC, but maybe it's fine on PS4, idk).

Some more suggestions that I haven't tried: Grid Autosport, Stock Car Extreme, American(and Euro) Truck Simulator, BeamNG.Drive. The last two aren't really racing games though.

Thanks for the list. Will wait for AC and haven't tried a rally game for ages.

Shifter arrived yesterday, and I've been playing it with Project Cars (ford focus on cadwell park) and it's GLORIOUS. Dropping multiple gears into the slow corners and I'm already 2 seconds a lap quicker over paddle shifters.

Will try GT6 this weekend.

benzy

Was mistranslated.

EDIT : my bad, he doesn't say having the beta for this year would be already something good. BUT he thinks that gt sport won't be released in 2016.

doblocruiser
He says:

- things should happen in March, won't happen
- Release GT Sport this year looks complicated
- they have lots of work to do on GT from what he has seen
- Sony would like to release before end of the year
- Journalist doesn't even have trust in that

GT Academy starts next month according to GTP.

GT Facebook hints at announcements for PS3 & PS4, so GT Academy on PS3/4?

How long has GT Sport been delayed for?

Both Project Cars and Driveclub made me miss Gran Turismo replays. Polyphony knows its stuff.
Great gifs Sunhi!

I love Forza, but their replays barely get the job done. DiRT's aren't great, Driveclub's are ok (at least they have a track-side-only camera option). Project CARS' replays are a stuttery mess no matter how high end your PC (I run the cockpit view racing on "high" on PC, but even on "low" the replays stutter). Gran Turismo just has the best replays all around. Best camera positions, most camera positions and best pacing and mix of cuts. The on- and in-car cameras could feel a little more intense (more vibration, bumpier and engine noise clipping), but that will be easier to do with better hardware that allows for higher track surface accuracy.

Waiting with my AC purchase for the console release, but RaceRoom has some decent replays too. And great tools to cut your very own clip as well.

magawolaz

I love Forza, but their replays barely get the job done. DiRT's aren't great, Driveclub's are ok (at least they have a track-side-only camera option). Project CARS' replays are a stuttery mess no matter how high end your PC (I run the cockpit view racing on "high" on PC, but even on "low" the replays stutter). Gran Turismo just has the best replays all around. Best camera positions, most camera positions and best pacing and mix of cuts. The on- and in-car cameras could feel a little more intense (more vibration, bumpier and engine noise clipping), but that will be easier to do with better hardware that allows for higher track surface accuracy.

Waiting with my AC purchase for the console release, but RaceRoom has some decent replays too. And great tools to cut your very own clip as well.
Agreed 100%.

Sunhi, if you get the chance to drive at Bathurst, could you make a gif of the aerial shot around the hill? Always loved that bit (5:40 - 6:02)

terrible

Banned
I just started playing GT6 a bit with a wheel and damn. Forza could learn a thing or two about FFB. The game feels great with a wheel.

Both Project Cars and Driveclub made me miss Gran Turismo replays. Polyphony knows its stuff.
Great gifs Sunhi!

GT hasn't got enough static corner cams, I want to see the cars dancing over the kerbs like that AC gif :(

I think there's only one angle in GT6 on the 2nd or 3rd camera cycle on Nurburgring GP?

campbellCase

Neo Member
Welp, it looks like I'm not going to get anything accomplished for the next couple of weeks because they have put the Type V section of the ring back up on the Quick Match section with Touring Cars.

Top Bottom