• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport announced

You keep chiming in without even attempting to follow the conversation.
Except I am.

The list of features new to GT5 was in reply to this:
In that case, you still haven't clarified what you're trying to argue.

a) If you're saying GT introduced those features to the racing genre, then refer to my list.
b) If you're saying GT introduced those features over past GT games, then what's the argument here? Every game introduces new features.

But apparently GT keeps using the same UI, even though it changes every game.

It pretty clearly meant as in the UI is always bad, which is very hard to disagree with. GT6 made it a whole lot prettier but in terms of actually using it it's still a nightmare.

EDIT: And just in case this is taken to mean "fanboyism": I've been a GT player for as long as I can even remember. GT3 was my first racing game and I've loved the franchise ever since. I'm only complaining because GT6 brought little to the table in a franchise typically known for its innovation. I don't see the problem with having a thread on a game not be 100% positive towards it, especially when we aren't just saying "but X is still better!"

Shin-Ra

It's funny also GT5 "rarely touched 60fps" is a lie, and there's a great ambition in attempting those features together in one game. Many of which are still missing in games now a hardware generation later.

Masterpd85

Neo Member
Yeah selling 5 Million sure is a misplaced bet heh but i agree it shouldn't have been on PS3

it didnt sale that high. Couldnt have... It came out in dec '13 and I got it for 50% the following march/april '14. Not only that but it didnt fix the crap from GT5, it cut out features from GT5 people loved, and withheld on content they promised would release. It had no DLC to breathe extended life into the game...

it was "GT5.5: the real racing sim expansion pack, featuring Ayrton Senna"

it didnt sale that high. Couldnt have... It came out in dec '13 and I got it for 50% the following march/april '14. Not only that but it didnt fix the crap from GT5, it cut out features from GT5 people loved, and withheld on content they promised would release. It had no DLC to breathe extended life into the game...

Actually, it did sell that high.

For the sake of comparison, let me go over which things in your list came before GT5 that I know of:

I think you're missing the point of the list. It's the entire package that matters, not the individual bullet-points. You can find one or more of those things in a lot of other games, but all of them in a modern racing simulator? Probably not.

Sony 'claims' to have sold 5 million copies of GT6, but where's the proof?

It's funny also GT5 "rarely touched 60fps" is a lie, and there's a great ambition in attempting those features together in one game. Many of which are still missing in games now a hardware generation later.

Although, it would be nice if they had two modes of display ("60hz always" and "maybe, but prettier").

can they please make this one fun and enjoyable rather than 10x more realistic?

Well... it's a simulator. Presumably, the audience that enjoys these games finds them fun because of the realistic nature of the driving. Bit of a redundant criticism really.

GT6/Sport comparison:

ur1YTv.jpg

Credit to Farushi (GTP)

A tarted up rejigged GT6 for PS4. The blacked out windows, no tyre flex, old tarted up tracks like Suzuka, the clues are all there.

Sport will be the final nail.

Gestault

I actually appreciate the GT Sport announcement specifically because it's avoided the "design by bullet list" approach that I think is what made GT5 and GT6, frankly, much worse games. Whether it's content or game progression, having a developed, focused execution is what makes a game most engaging.

Having race series with a real-world parallel at the same time, community involvement, and giving dedicated race vehicles more space to breathe is why Sport has my eye.

Wait, people are taking the low-res shot that look like it's off-screen and/or from a stream seriously?
A tarted up rejigged GT6 for PS4. The blacked out windows, no tyre flex, old tarted up tracks like Suzuka, the clues are all there.
No proper racing game is complete without Suzuka. That's been true for quite some time and it should stay that way. Why would you ever replace it? And why so much hate in general?

I bought Driveclub recently in a PSN sale and it's just making me crave a proper PS4 GT even more. The driving just feels so off in Driveclub. Great graphics, though.

Gestault

I bought Driveclub recently in a PSN sale and it's just making me crave a proper PS4 GT even more. The driving just feels so off in Driveclub. Great graphics, though.

Yeah, Driveclub has a weird sort of abstraction with its driving model that's pretty hit-or-miss. Putting almost everything else aside, there's never been much to gripe about with Gran Turismo's handling with a wheel in front of you.

Edit(now correct user and quote):

So you're saying you'd take the ridiculous physics of Driveclub over the physics-model of Gran Turismo, because Driveclub also has overdone visual tyre-flex (and no set-up options to adjust tyre-pressure and camber to get rid of some disadvantages of tyre-flex and actually get some advantages)?
I mean Gran Turismo has physical-simulated tyre-flex since forever and I have no doubt that they will have improved on their previous tyre model with GT Sport again.

So, uhm... no, I'm not with you there, I'd even take the ancient GT5 physics model over Driveclub's any day. A racing game that is so much on the arcade side of sim-cade racing like Driveclub doesn't even need a sophisticated tyre-flex model, it's not trying to be close to reality, which is also why we surely won't see a rumored track editor for DC. Someone would make a Top Gear Test Track and the power lap times from Driveclub would be so far off real world times that it would disillusion some part of DCs fans and defenders.

AMG

Neo Member
I was just thinking back to the original 1st GT and what attracted me to it. Basically it was the realistic looking cars for that time (1998), the huge amount of cars for that time (over 120 or so), the fact that your average car with its 1.6 or 2.0 litre engine was in th game, meaning you could d I've a car you owned or were about to buy in real life, as a used purchase. It had th dream cars of that time, Supra, 300ZX, 3000GT, RX7, Mitsubishi evo, etc. Earning licenses was and still is fun. It also mad you learn the tracks inside out for the rest of the career mode. I

They need to bring this magic back for GT7 or whatever it will be called. Bring back your average car. I don't mind having, for example, a 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 Turbo version of the same cars. As long as the statistics are spot on and handling feels like the real life counterpart.

I did many 0-60 comparisons with numerous cars and the numbers always matched the manufacturer figures which felt great as I felt I could drive and compare the cars in the game to get a similar real life comparison without having to buy all those cars in real life.

I love Driveclub but there is always room for Gran Turismo! I just hope they use the same opening music like they did for GT1 - Moon Over The Castle!

I'm getting tired of every game using the same car hence the need for a back to basics with the normal mass produced cars thrown in. Even estates and minivans. MB A160, A200, A250, A250 sport , A45 AMG, same as all variations of Golfs from MK1 to the latest. Some complain that it's the same car but I argue it's not. If I have an A160 and someone else has an A200 they may look the same but the ride and fell will be different as the standard wheel and suspension setup varies between the two so therefore the ride and feel are different. Plus they can make those faster when the base design is similar. I want thousands of cars and choices!!!

Sorry for the ramble but I just had to get that off my chest.

I was just thinking back to the original 1st GT and what attracted me to it. Basically it was the realistic looking cars for that time (1998), the huge amount of cars for that time (over 120 or so), the fact that your average car with its 1.6 or 2.0 litre engine was in th game, meaning you could d I've a car you owned or were about to buy in real life, as a used purchase. It had th dream cars of that time, Supra, 300ZX, 3000GT, RX7, Mitsubishi evo, etc. Earning licenses was and still is fun. It also mad you learn th tracks inside out for the rest of the career mode.

They need to bring this magic back for GT7 or whatever it will be called. Bring back your average car. I don't mind having, for example, a 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 Turbo version of the same cars. As long as the statistics are spot on and handling feels like the real life counterpart.

I did many 0-60 comparisons with numerous cars and the numbers always matched the manufacturer figures which felt great as I felt I could drive and compare the cars in the game to get a similar real life comparison without having to buy all those cars in real life.

I love Driveclub but there is always room for Gran Turismo! I just hope they use the same opening music like they did for GT1 and GT2!

I know exactly what you mean. The feeling that this could be real, this could be you(!). You could afford this car, the car is realistically modeled in every way within the limitations of the console's hardware. If you would go out there and do it, it would be exactly like in the game, driving the Nordschleife in under 9 minutes in your cheap little hatchback.

I love Forza Motorsport as well, more than GT at the moment, but it's annoying that the cars in the game are always the best versions of that certain model, especially since almost every cheap ass FWD car today gets some immensely powerful R-model. Forza 6 has about 500 cars in it at the moment, but try to find a car not older than 5 years under 200hp and your options are super limited. In GT you can always at least cut the power in the tuning options(you end up with an unrealistic amount of torque though).

GT Sport will probably not be the game that delivers on that end, maybe GT7 will be again. But hey, give me some improved GT6 physics and some GT or LMP cars on real world tracks and I'll be fine until a GT7 comes out. YOU should give Project CARS and Assetto Corsa(out in April, I think) some thought. Not too many *affordable* cars, but the physics are a lot more realistic compared to other games available on PS4 at the moment.

On the licenses part: I always loved those, some of them made me a better driver even in real life, because they made me bang my head against a challenge to find out it's not possible, which made me go back to the tutorial-text tips and read them thoughtfully. Gold-trophying some of them at the first try of doing something different gave me an epiphany about driving physics more then once.
That being said, I'm not sure they are still the right format. A driving school of some sort, yes, that should be in there, "licenses" gating your progress and just some hint-text can be done better on this generation of consoles.

Edit:
If I have an A160 and someone else has an A200 they may look the same but the ride and fell will be different as the standard wheel and suspension setup varies between the two so therefore the ride and feel are different. Plus they can make those faster when the base design is similar. I want thousands of cars and choices!!!

Uhm... I don't think there is a SINGLE game out there, that models active dynamic suspensions of today (look up VW's Skyhook or the Mercedes "Magic Body Control"). As far as I know, all games only simulate fixed value setups that aren't continuously adjusted while you drive.

AMG

Neo Member
I know exactly what you mean. The feeling that this could be real, this could be you(!). You could afford this car, the car is realistically modeled in every way within the limitations of the console's hardware. If you would go out there and do it, it would be exactly like in the game, driving the Nordschleife in under 9 minutes in your cheap little hatchback.

I love Forza Motorsport as well, more than GT at the moment, but it's annoying that the cars in the game are always the best versions of that certain model, especially since almost every cheap ass FWD car today gets some immensely powerful R-model. Forza 6 has about 500 cars in it at the moment, but try to find a car not older than 5 years under 200hp and your options are super limited. In GT you can always at least cut the power in the tuning options(you end up with an unrealistic amount of torque though).

GT Sport will probably not be the game that delivers on that end, maybe GT7 will be again. But hey, give me some improved GT6 physics and some GT or LMP cars on real world tracks and I'll be fine until a GT7 comes out. YOU should give Project CARS and Assetto Corsa(out in April, I think) some thought. Not too many *affordable* cars, but the physics are a lot more realistic compared to other games available on PS4 at the moment.

On the licenses part: I always loved those, some of them made me a better driver even in real life, because they made me bang my head against a challenge to find out it's not possible, which made me go back to the tutorial-text tips and read them thoughtfully. Gold-trophying some of them at the first try of doing something different gave me an epiphany about driving physics more then once.
That being said, I'm not sure they are still the right format. A driving school of some sort, yes, that should be in there, "licenses" gating your progress and just some hint-text can be done better on this generation of consoles.

Edit:

Uhm... I don't think there is a SINGLE game out there, that models active dynamic suspensions of today (look up VW's Skyhook or the Mercedes "Magic Body Control"). As far as I know, all games only simulate fixed value setups that aren't continuously adjusted while you drive.

They really should rethink to step it up a level and not just graphics. They have to build upon the philosophy that started it all. Keep the basic cars by adding all the new current basic cars in all their variations. Then introduce differences in air suspension, versus, active body control versus std shocks etc. Basically GT1 for 2016. :)) this would make it a true to original GT game. Tons of everyday cars, vans, SUVs, crossovers etc. Anyway, let's see what they do.

Well... it's a simulator. Presumably, the audience that enjoys these games finds them fun because of the realistic nature of the driving. Bit of a redundant criticism really.

Not really - Forza is a sim-centric series too and it's words more fun to play than the GT series ever has been.

GHG

Not really - Forza is a sim-centric series too and it's words more fun to play than the GT series ever has been.

Maybe to you. And that might mean you prefer arcade type racing games rather than simulation focused ones.

My view on it is that Forza has become an unfocused mess as a result of attempting to be this all singing all dancing jack of all trades. Forza 5 and 6 are nowhere near as compelling or engaging as their predecessors were. The last thing GT needs to do is to try and emulate Forza in its current state. The on track experience in games like PCars and Assetto Corsa are far more complete, even if they might lack polish in other areas.

Mascot

Maybe to you. And that might mean you prefer arcade type racing games rather than simulation focused ones.

My view on it is that Forza has become an unfocused mess as a result of attempting to be this all singing all dancing jack of all trades. Forza 5 and 6 are nowhere near as compelling or engaging as their predecessors were. The last thing GT needs to do is to try and emulate Forza in its current state. The on track experience in games like PCars and Assetto Corsa are far more complete, even if they might lack polish in other areas.
Yeah, FM certainly seems to be increasingly leaning towards the wacky side of things now with comedy cars and events, and very little concession to motorsport. I think of it as an arcade game with semi-sim physics now. Not knocking it, that just seems to be the direction Dan wants to take it, and it's probably a good decision with pCars and AC now catering for the sim crowd on consoles. I think there will soon come a time when FM and FH merge.

It'll be interesting to see if there's still room for GTsport or GT7 on PS4 when it eventually graces us with its presence.

“Vision Gran Turismo” Recognized for its Contributions at the Japan Car Awards Ceremony

cAJQz7.jpg

7rtU2J.jpg

Zs5Sep.jpg

On January 23rd Gran Turismo was presented with the Golden Marker Special Award at this year’s Japan Car Design Awards ceremony being held at The Gallery Too in the Minato district of Tokyo, Japan.

Announced in 2013, “Vision Gran Turismo” is a special collaborative project aligning Polyphony Digital and Gran Turismo with leading automotive manufacturers, design houses, and other leading global brands for unique in-game content. The content, offered as free downloadable content and then “gifted” to players, allows designers to express creative freedom without concern.

Taking note of these particular highlights and it should come as no surprise that the “Vision Gran Turismo” program has inspired the automotive industry, as outlined on the official Gran Turismo website celebrating the award:
“According to the judges, Gran Turismo was recognized for working effectively with the world’s most reputed brands since 2013 and “being an instrument to teach how to drive a car for those who are below the legal driving age” and “for educating about cars in general.” They also noted how the popular driving game provided opportunities to car designers around the world to express their wildest imaginations, while broadening the vision of the market.”

GTPlanet

------------------------------

I really liked VGTs. the project had some flaws (like black cockpits) but overall was a great thing and as a concept cars lover, it was an amazing gift for me.

I really liked VGTs. the project had some flaws (like black cockpits) but overall was a great thing and as a concept cars lover, it was an amazing gift for me.

Those will be getting full cockpits. But probably not until GTS. Kaz said that the lack of cockpits for most of the cars upon their initial release came down to two things, scheduling which put the team in a tight timeframe to get the car finished for whichever show the car manufacturer was planning to unveil it at, and some designers didn't create interiors for the cars at all. In those cases i'm guessing they'll ask them to make one.

Mascot

GT Sport better allow live-feed companion apps or it'll feel like a big step backwards after enjoying (relying on?) this feature in pCARS.

Kaz being Kaz though he probably doesn't even know they exist and can be utilised on consoles.

psn

GT Sport better allow live-feed companion apps or it'll feel like a big step backwards after enjoying (relying on?) this feature in pCARS.

Kaz being Kaz though he probably doesn't even know they exist and can be utilised on consoles.

How much lag does the companion app in project cars have?

So you're saying you'd take the ridiculous physics of Driveclub over the physics-model of Gran Turismo, because Driveclub also has overdone visual tyre-flex (and no set-up options to adjust tyre-pressure and camber to get rid of some disadvantages of tyre-flex and actually get some advantages)?
I mean Gran Turismo has physical-simulated tyre-flex since forever and I have no doubt that they will have improved on their previous tyre model with GT Sport again.

So, uhm... no, I'm not with you there, I'd even take the ancient GT5 physics model over Driveclub's any day. A racing game that is so much on the arcade side of sim-cade racing like Driveclub doesn't even need a sophisticated tyre-flex model, it's not trying to be close to reality, which is also why we surely won't see a rumored track editor for DC. Someone would make a Top Gear Test Track and the power lap times from Driveclub would be so far off real world times that it would disillusion some part of DCs fans and defenders.

I think you're confusing me with the dude that complained about no tire flex. I just explained what it is.

Top Bottom