• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport announced

farisr

"Looks like a PS3 game"

Duuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I don't blame folks for saying that. GT5 and GT6 had tons of trailers that looked so much better than what things looked like in-game.

Compared to those trailers, this isn't all that different honestly. Now of course, if this turns out to be a trailer made with how stuff looks in-game real-time on the track, it is definitely a big jump from GT5 and GT6. But we don't know that yet.

velociraptor

This looks the same as those GT5/GT6 trailers they've shown us all generation.

It's a bit disappointing in that sense.

GT7 will never come out at this rate :(

55dkn9.png

61rkod.png

74ckfv.png

Damn. Lighting and materials will be insane in this game.

So its not GT7?

Maybe it's the re-invention that the series is in need for instead. At least that's what I'm hoping. GT needs something fresh, so this is great. But maybe it's just a more fancy GT Prologue. GT7 will come anyway. Getting any kind of GT on PS4 now is fine by me.

GT trailers are not representative of the final product, unfortunately.
With the impressive PS4 exclusives we've seen though, I think this is the first Gran Truismo that will end up being pretty close to initial trailers. I mean, just look at Drive Club, it really looks amazing.

Still need clarification on if this is a game that will be updated, or if GT7 is coming.

Bandit1

I'm really not sure what to think about this. I can get behind the game taking racing and motorsports much more seriously with the FIA, and doing online championships, but I don't want the series to lose what made it unique in the past. I hope we still have all the street cars, the tuning, photo locations, license tests, etc. Seeing the Miata and the Mercedes AMG eases my concerns somewhat, but I hope we get more details on the game at PSX.

QuikNez

As a huge GT fan, happy for all news GT, but admittedly dissapointed with this trailer.

I really hope Polyphony breaks with past convention when it comes to the blandness of the last two iterations of the game.

I'm really not sure what to think about this. I can get behind the game taking racing and motorsports much more seriously with the FIA, and doing online championships, but I don't want the series to lose what made it unique in the past. I hope we still have all the street cars, the tuning, photo locations, license tests, etc. Seeing the Miata and the Mercedes AMG eases my concerns somewhat, but I hope we get more details on the game at PSX.

I am fine with the game dropping some baggage. We have all played the usual career grind enough in GT and Forza over the years. The FIA license and a stricter racing and competition focus are exactly what I want from this. I definitely want license tests though.

I think we will be getting all those, however they wanted to focus on the FIA racing and online championships as it was likely a big factor for it being named GT Sport and not GT7.

I like the notion of there being one GT Sport for each generation, with its car list, track list and features being updated as the years go on.

As a huge GT fan, happy for all news GT, but admittedly dissapointed with this trailer.

I really hope Polyphony breaks with past convention when it comes to the blandness of the last two iterations of the game.
Me too, but you have to at least admit, the premise behind the game is anything but conventional, this is a huge departure for the series, they are trying to sell VR by saying there's a GT experience that's second to none once you pick up this head-set. And actually competing in an official sponsored race, potentially anyone can represent there own country, this could be really big.

Yes, they have to execute on many things and faults of previous games. Sounds, graphical improvements, physics, customization, and of course the infamous car count (I think this is just blown up on forums, normal fans don't care some cars aren't premium IMO) etc...but if they can deliver a well-rounded game that both pleases the casual and hardcore fans, this could be one of the highest selling Gran Truismo games of all time. After Forza 6 lackluster U.S sales, and the console it's exclusive on, not being European countries first choice for gaming, the Driving Sim genre could certainly use a fresh spark, this if nothing else, is full of potential and exactly what racing needs.

Vinland

Banned
Well now I need a new pair of shorts. This can't be released soon enough. I have been meaning to get back into DC but man this has that itch going.

hesido

WTH? I really expected more. DriveClub looks better and has more advanced techs.

Blame VR.

If this runs at 60fps, it has better graphics than DC. Sorry, that's how I feel. 30fps sucks a lot out of the moving graphics in a different way, while adding a heck lot of fidelity, the temporal quality is lost. And temporal quality is very important. I find many 60fps games more pleasing to play and look at compared to 30fps games.

malyce

Dedicated servers and a robust online experience with prizes up for grabs and I will pay you $8/Mo. PD. Let's make this happen. Give me a reason to purchase a PS4 and a new wheel.

Me too, but you have to at least admit, the premise behind the game is anything but conventional, this is a huge departure for the series, they are trying to sell VR by saying there's a GT experience that's second to none once you pick up this head-set. And actually competing in an official sponsored race, potentially anyone can represent there own country, this could be really big.

Yes, they have to execute on many things and faults of previous games. Sounds, graphical improvements, physics, customization, and of course the infamous car count (I think this is just blown up on forums, normal fans don't care some cars aren't premium IMO) etc...but if they can deliver a well-rounded game that both pleases the casual and hardcore fans, this could be one of the highest selling Gran Truismo games of all time. After Forza 6 lackluster U.S sales, and the console it's exclusive on, not being European countries first choice for gaming, the Driving Sim genre could certainly use a fresh spark, this if nothing else, is full of potential and exactly what racing needs.

Exactly.

psn

Megaton... I watched the stream with some good friends while talking in teamspeak and we all began to scream like a little kid as soon as we saw it coming..

I will buy a new wheel for this game.

DavidDesu

My take on this...

The FIA connection and calling it sport to me implies this will focus on real world tracks. They'll want to play up the GT Academy side of things with the fact that game players on this are effectively training to race for real. That means a selection of race specific real world cars and real world tracks to race them on.

This I like.

We won't be bogged down having to have a million cars that you rarely use or even want to use, all the Honda Jazz's of the world or 60 year old novelty cars. This will be a focused game content wise to play up to the official motorsport connection with the FIA.

If it means more realistic racing and fields of cars etc I'm all in. Really detest the traditional GT model of "get crappy car + modify until it can beat everyone in the field + grind to win easy races over and over and over again" model. This looks like a real change in the core gameplay that GT really needed to make it more competitive with something sim-like gameplay wise of the likes of Project Cars.

GT7 will be further down the road and reintroduce us to all the esoteric and encyclopaedic car shenanigans we know and love of GT, but GT Sport will be streamlined, focus on real racing and I love that!

Also especially if this really is poised to really jump into online racing leagues I'm so happy about that too. Imagine something that worked as well as Rocket League, but for sim racing. With the FIA and real racing rules I'd imagine there will be a hell of people paired up with other racers who all go backwards and shove people off, so the rest of us can be left with fair racers to enjoy serious racing with.

EDIT: Oh and yeah having real confirmation that PSVR will be fully supported in PS4 GT games is fantastic news. Expected, but relived to know for definite. Means I'll definitely be buying a wheel stand pro and an up to date proper wheel at some point to really make the most of this. I could spend A LOT of time in GT when I'm that immersed. Wow.

It's amazing how, with other GT games, we end up with a massive list of things and then a lot of it is cut.

GT Sport seems to be "here's some information, speculate away".

PSX is going to be the proper reveal though.

Really wish we could get some clarification. Some people think this a one off before the real GT7 hits, or that it is GT7, or that it implies that it's a base GT game that will continue to be updated over time and there will be no more numbered Gran Turismo games.

My take on this...

The FIA connection and calling it sport to me implies this will focus on real world tracks. They'll want to play up the GT Academy side of things with the fact that game players on this are effectively training to race for real. That means a selection of race specific real world cars an real world tracks to race them on.

This I like.

We won't be bogged down having to have a million cars that you rarely use or even want to use, all the Honda Jazz's of the world or 60 year old novelty cars. This will be a focused game content wise to play up to the official motorsport connection with the FIA.

If it means more realistic racing and fields of cars etc I'm all in. Really detest the traditional GT model of "get crappy car + modify until it can beat everyone in the field + grind to win easy races over and over and over". This looks like a real change in the core gameplay that GT really needed to make it more competitive with something sim-like gameplay wise of Project Cars.

GT7 will be further down the road and reintroduce us to all the esoteric and encyclopedic car shenanigans we know and love of GT, but GT Sport will be streamlined, focus on real racing and I love that!

Also especially if this really is poised to really jump into online racing leagues I'm so happy about that too. Imagine something that worked as well as Rocket League, but for sim racing. With the FIA and real racing rules I'd imagine there will be a hell of people paired up with other racers who all go backwards and shove people off, so the rest of us can be left with fair racers to enjoy serious racing with.

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but it's those Honda Jazzes and 60-year-old novelty cars that set Gran Turismo apart from other franchises for me. I like the car-encyclopedia aspect of the game, and I enjoyed racing cars I could conceivably own, or that my parents drove when I was a kid. (Ask me about my 1991 Subaru Legacy in Forza Horizon 2.)

GT Sport, on the other hand, tacks towards pretty much every other serious racing sim by focusing on official motorsports. Project CARS already did this, minus the licenses perhaps but in spirit. Plenty of PC sims cover the same territory better with more hardware options (hello wheels I didn't have to rebuy for PS4). It also cedes Gran Turismo's home turf to Forza, which seems like a really dumb idea. I do want to see a revitalization of the Gran Turismo formula, but I don't know if turning it into "Gran Turismo but you only race on FIA tracks in actual race cars" is the way to go. If it's an offshoot, great, I'm all for GT Sport. But I hope the start-in-an-econobox GT of old is still around.

benzy

omxhobgxpf.gif

The FIA connection and calling it sport to me implies this will focus on real world tracks. They'll want to play up the GT Academy side of things with the fact that game players on this are effectively training to race for real. That means a selection of race specific real world cars and real world tracks to race them on.

This I like.

Wouldn't be GT if it didn't have a huge range of cars and only had FIA focused ones. Besides, they showed the fake Vision GT concept cars in the trailer, lol.

wheeplash

Guys sorry for the slight off-topic, but since I'm still a Junior I can't create a new thread right now.

I'm getting a PS4 very, very soon and I have this crazy urge to get some good racing games (cars and/or that has an engine and goes FAST). It's just one of the genres that has always given me tons of fun because of the graphics and endless gameplay.

edit: Sorry, yes I want recommendations :p

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but it's those Honda Jazzes and 60-year-old novelty cars that set Gran Turismo apart from other franchises for me. I like the car-encyclopedia aspect of the game, and I enjoyed racing cars I could conceivably own, or that my parents drove when I was a kid. (Ask me about my 1991 Subaru Legacy in Forza Horizon 2.)

GT Sport, on the other hand, tacks towards pretty much every other serious racing sim by focusing on official motorsports. Project CARS already did this, minus the licenses perhaps but in spirit. Plenty of PC sims cover the same territory better with more hardware options (hello wheels I didn't have to rebuy for PS4). It also cedes Gran Turismo's home turf to Forza, which seems like a really dumb idea. I do want to see a revitalization of the Gran Turismo formula, but I don't know if turning it into "Gran Turismo but you only race on FIA tracks in actual race cars" is the way to go. If it's an offshoot, great, I'm all for GT Sport. But I hope the start-in-an-econobox GT of old is still around.
I also like the car-encyclopedia aspect of GT. Most of my time is spent doing time trials in the cars I'm interested in, most of which are production models from days gone by.

The fact is, we don't know what GT Sport is. Is it is a spinoff with a focus on real rules/regulations? Is it GT7 renamed? We don't know and we're basing everything on a very brief trailer, talk about why FIA is included and a bit about, potentially, one aspect of the game.

I'm still confused about the conflicting posts; so is this the next big GT game or is it a prologue of some sort to quench our thirst until the next big GT7 game?

Honey Bunny

I feel like an experimental spin off is the last thing the brand needs right now. Would like to be wrong.

Ideal situation is that this is a small project that isn't distracting too much from the proper mainline entry.

Guys sorry for the slight off-topic, but since I'm still a Junior I can't create a new thread right now.

I'm getting a PS4 very, very soon and I have this crazy urge to get some good racing games (cars and/or that has an engine and goes FAST). It's just one of the genres that has always given me tons of fun because of the graphics and endless gameplay.

Are you asking for recommendations?

Because if so, Driveclub.

Gestault

If they pull this off and it's half as fun as something like this could be, they have a classic on their hands. Yeah, I'm stoked.

Actually some of it is in-game footage. You can tell by the aliasing and shadow dithering:

Man this looks beautiful. Dunno what the heck this game is though.

Unless you're talking about some other area, that isn't shadow dithering but rather light bouncing off of various carbon fiber weaves differently.

Servbot24

Banned
I hope so. Like I said before, GT just doesn't work in today's gaming landscape. Or at least it doesn't to a mass audience. The series needed to evolve. I hope this is it.

I really enjoy how it felt like a relic (and I say that with complete sincerity if that's not clear). But yeah, for the sake of sales, it needs to move on. :(

Top Bottom