• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

PQz27u9.gif

From all i have seen so far these are my thoughts and the things i want from GTSPORT. The chase cam is too far away from the car and it is rigid. For a game that prides itself in its car models, it bugs me that they somehow daftly choose to put the camera ten kilometers behind the bloody car and then stick it there as if it's on rails. It's incredibly annoying.
I want a PCars 2 like chase cam, lower the hood view and the roof view too, also give me the ability to remove the steering wheel from the cockpit or at least tuck the thumbs in so it looks the least bit realistic. Physics looks good (if not quite AC or Iracing), the game looks and runs great (barring the pop in which should and probably would be fixed). Happy with the engine sounds (though the shifting on some cars is still digital and sudden). Hopefully, good mechanical and cosmetic damage modelling is in place. The online SR works, if one focuses on remaining clean and improving their SR early on they will have better and better experiences online as their SR improves and they race people with good racing etiquette. I've seen countless videos with the grid full of people with SR above 40, and the racing is sublime.
They need to give us the option to turn off ghosting online, it's incredibly jarring even if fairly accurate. We need TV camera replays or at least the option for it, it would enhance the online viewing experience. More tracks are needed, Interlagos is a good addition but we need more especially seeing that GT would be going up against PCars 2 which has an insane amount of content.

Gestault

Nitpick: Are the sparks being rendered on a different plane? I noticed something similar in some footage where sparks were coming up on a dirt surface. I see the lingering flecks drop downward as though they were just an X/Y grid.

Anyone else see that or understand what's going on?

test_account

XP-39C²
Nitpick: Are the sparks being rendered on a different plane? I noticed something similar in some footage where sparks were coming up on a dirt surface. I see the lingering flecks drop downward as though they were just an X/Y grid.

How could they be rendered on a different plane? If you mean an overlay over the actual 3D models. That seems really complex at least, not sure why they would go with such a solution. Cant really see it either.

Gestault

Once you are C rank or higher, ghosting no longer happens. It is only a mechanic in D and E ranks as of the beta. Things may change in either direction prior to launch.

I really don't mind this setup, even if it sticks around for the full release. I feared it was just standard across-the-board based on what it thought drivers were doing.

How could they be rendered on a different plane? If you mean an overlay over the actual 3D models. That seems really complex at least, not sure why they would go with such a solution. Cant really see it either.

Particle systems often work as their own render field. It could just be a weird optical illusion, but I've seen it in a few different clips. This gif isn't ideal (it's fast) but it's the best way I have to point them out:

CT02dal.gif

test_account

XP-39C²
Particle systems often work as their own render field. This gif isn't ideal (it's fast) but it's the best way I have to point them out:

http://i.imgur.com/CT02dal.gif
I mean overlay as in having it over the actual screen, as in the game being 3D, and then simply laying another layer in 2d over that, not having interactin with the 3D envoirment. Kinda like putting a piece of paper over a TV screen.

The .gif is too fast for me to notice anything special. Dont think that the sparks necessarily have to bounce around. The reason why it looks why they're moving downwards can simply be because the camera pans upwards.

Particle systems often work as their own render field. It could just be a weird optical illusion, but I've seen it in a few different clips.]
In this case, at least, the particles are acting correctly. I think you're assuming they shouldn't be falling "down" so quickly but the camera is also tilting up quickly as it tracks the car, hence the direction they travel.

The Driver Rating progression only depends on wins and speed, but you need to have reached a minimum Sportsmanship Rating as a requirement for each driver class.

I think damage and longer races would also prevent a lot of the asshole driving too... maybe they could offer those for new people who want to rank up quicker in the final game too.

In my opinion the sparks from the cars are really great in GT Sport.

I noticed only a bug on the dirt that the rims sometimes creating the sparks. You can see that in my previous gif.

Other than that the sparks are always right under the car on the diffuser.

From the cars that I have tested in the beta the Toyota FT-1 was the only one that produced sparks at high speeds at the bumpy Nürburgring as the diffuser is very low. From the other cars I have see sparks only when the diffuser is hitting high curbs.

This last gif is not very helpful as the car is going uphill so there is an illusion that the sparks are higher from where they should be. Also is not helping that the speed of the car is very high (and I reduced the playback speed for the gif).

I really don't mind this setup, even if it sticks around for the full release. I feared it was just standard across-the-board based on what it thought drivers were doing.

Particle systems often work as their own render field. It could just be a weird optical illusion, but I've seen it in a few different clips. This gif isn't ideal (it's fast) but it's the best way I have to point them out:

CT02dal.gif

Think you're getting confused by the varying depth of field. The sparks are actually in different points of the track but the view makes it look like its all in one plane (tv screen).

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sometimes you'll see the awful flickery shadows on the back of the cars per the previous GT games. Something i'd hoped they would have sorted by now.

Edit: Below GIF is one example.

Woohoo, got the 458 tonight. Don't feel like hooking up the wheel right now, but tomorrow night I intend to put it through its paces during some Ring races.

Putty

Well, after spending a good week or so with this, i'm very hyped to see the final thing...I'm intrigued to see what changes happen between this and release...more than anything i want to be surprised...I want to showered with much more content than was originally planned before the delay...I want PD to make my Pro sing with more bells and whistles added...But more than anything else i want the launch to go without a hitch...i really hope they have gotten ALL info they need regarding the online aspect/netcode so we don't get a repeat of the Driveclub situation...For me, it's GT...it looks it, it feels it...Come on PD...Wow us, wow us all...

danowat

Banned
Well, after spending a good week or so with this, i'm very hyped to see the final thing...I'm intrigued to see what changes happen between this and release...more than anything i want to be surprised...I want to showered with much more content than was originally planned before the delay...I want PD to make my Pro sing with more bells and whistles added...But more than anything else i want the launch to go without a hitch...i really hope they have gotten ALL info they need regarding the online aspect/netcode so we don't get a repeat of the Driveclub situation...For me, it's GT...it looks it, it feels it...Come on PD...Wow us, wow us all...

I quite like it, for what it is, and am looking forward to the final version, like you say, hopefully there will be a wealth of content, and it won't be a cut down prologue.

It's fun, and, once you've got your SR up, provides close racing, and really, that's all that should matter, I am looking forward to seeing if the SR will improve online racing, because, outside of iRacing, the lack of decent, respectful close online racing has been sorely lacking..

I know the sim vs arcade debate will come up over and over, but to me, as long as there is a potential of being able to improve your times through realistic driving, and realistic means, then I am happy, is it a sim?, who cares, it doesn't really matter, it is realistic?, sure, to a point, it'll never have the physics fidelity of AC, and I don't think it really matters, they are doing different things, and appealing to a slightly different demographic.

Putty

I quite like it, for what it is, and am looking forward to the final version, like you say, hopefully there will be a wealth of content, and it won't be a cut down prologue.

It's fun, and, once you've got your SR up, provides close racing, and really, that's all that should matter, I am looking forward to seeing if the SR will improve online racing, because, outside of iRacing, the lack of decent, respectful close online racing has been sorely lacking..

I know the sim vs arcade debate will come up over and over, but to me, as long as there is a potential of being able to improve your times through realistic driving, and realistic means, then I am happy, is it a sim?, who cares, it doesn't really matter, it is realistic?, sure, to a point, it'll never have the physics fidelity of AC, and I don't think it really matters, they are doing different things, and appealing to a slightly different demographic.

Yep...AC and PCars are defo more "hardcore"..with GT catering to the masses. Having played all 3 now, i prefer GT...It's just more...fun?...Being able to shave time of is of course a great feeling, even just in the beta alone ...Of course I get giddy when i hear about GT, there's something special about it...Each release has that ...special feeling, like it's some sort of holy grail release etc etc. As a whole package really, the attention to detail, the super polished look of the menu's, of course the replays...There's just something about a GT release others don't have...The 3 races i had last night we're as clean as you could wish for....Everyone was a D with SR's in the 20's...And although i didn't win, it was hugely enjoyable and my stats went up...There is a reason why the series has sold over 70m....

danowat

Banned
Having played all 3 now, i prefer GT...It's just more...fun?

I'd imagine it's because it's easier to hit that "groove" due to the way the physics are tuned, there are a lot of considerations you have to make with something like AC, that you don't have to concern yourself with in GTS.

Mascot

The awful cockpit PoV, dark interiors and ever-present arms/steering wheel are killing this game for me (along with the insipid audio). Removing the on-screen arms and steering wheel should not be too much to ask in 2017 - every other self-respecting sim has been doing this for years now. It just looks pain daft and distracting to have my own arms and wheel replicated on screen, especially when they lag behind my own inputs and run slightly out of synch. This will force me out of cockpit view, meaning I can't play the game the way I want to, and push me towards other sims that offer this option. It's a real shame because other components of the game come together well and the overall package look really solid. Except the audio. Did I already mention that? It's bad. Terribad.

Mascot

Huh, I don't really have too much of an issue with the audio, I find it serviceable.

Exactly. It's serviceable in a world where everyone else is adding atmosphere, excitement and immersion to sim racing through superlative audio.

Who wants serviceable? Bread and water is serviceable.

The awful cockpit PoV, dark interiors and ever-present arms/steering wheel are killing this game for me (along with the insipid audio). Removing the on-screen arms and steering wheel should not be too much to ask in 2017 - every other self-respecting sim has been doing this for years now. It just looks pain daft and distracting to have my own arms and wheel replicated on screen, especially when they lag behind my own inputs and run slightly out of synch. This will force me out of cockpit view, meaning I can't play the game the way I want to, and push me towards other sims that offer this option. It's a real shame because other components of the game come together well and the overall package look really solid. Except the audio. Did I already mention that? It's bad. Terribad.

Bumper cam for me, I find that I can't play cockpit unless it's VR DCVR and DirtVR have spoilt me and are amazing.

Sound is as you say serviceable, it's okay, sounds better with headphones, but still not up there with the grunts and growls of other games. With it being such a long standing issue and the pinnacle of Sony racing I'm really shocked that it's not been addressed totally this iteration.

danowat

Banned
Exactly. It's serviceable in a world where everyone else is adding atmosphere, excitement and immersion to sim racing through superlative audio.

Who wants serviceable? Bread and water is serviceable.

When I had 3 closes races last night, arguably the closest, most fun (at least public) racing I've had in a long time, the last thing on my mind was, damn this audio isn't superlative!.

Could it be better, of course, should it be better, of course, but, as a sum of it's parts, rather than the parts in isolation, it's not something I take issue with.

Somehow using manual gears makes the audio better for me, maybe I've just got used to it, or maybe having the computer serenely change up and down gears smoothly makes it all sound too serene and boring.

Mascot

When I had 3 closes races last night, arguably the closest, most fun (at least public) racing I've had in a long time, the last thing on my mind was, damn this audio isn't superlative!.

Could it be better, of course, should it be better, of course, but, as a sum of it's parts, rather than the parts in isolation, it's not something I take issue with.

I don't think I'm prepared to give a free pass to the lacklustre audio just because some races are fun. I have fun in plenty of other racing games WITH immersive audio, so settling for less would be an odd choice, especially factoring in the aforementioned cockpit issues.

Audio seems a lot more important to me than it is to you, which is fine. Different strokes, and all that. I can't pretend to hide my disappointment though. I really thought Kaz might have made significant advances here, but it seems he's still happy for GT to exist in a bubble. It's a real shame, for me at least.

Anyway, I'm happy to wait and see what the full game brings.

KdotIX

As a person who does not own a PS4, but has played and completed every Gran Turismo title. Is it worth dropping money on a new console and getting GT Sport?

Someone mentioned it before in this thread, there is just something about Gran Turismo, it has this... allure... The gifs which have been posted in this thread look great. The videos of the close online racing look even better. It also seems as though theres a tough but decent progression system through ranks?

Lastly, would I need to invest in a wheel setup to enjoy and extract the best from this game? I have an old Logitech Driving Force GT but I don't think that would work on the PS4. I would also probably require a stand and seat to properly enjoy it.

EDIT: I mainly play racing games on PC

danowat

Banned
As a person who does not own a PS4, but has played and completed every Gran Turismo title. Is it worth dropping money on a new console and getting GT Sport?

Someone mentioned it before in this thread, there is just something about Gran Turismo, it has this... allure... The gifs which have been posted in this thread look great. The videos of the close online racing look even better. It also seems as though theres a tough but decent progression system through ranks?

Lastly, would I need to invest in a wheel setup to enjoy and extract the best from this game? I have an old Logitech Driving Force GT but I don't think that would work on the PS4. I would also probably require a stand and seat to properly enjoy it.

Personally, I'd say no and no.

In my experience, buying a console for one game isn't worth it.

c0de

My impressions so far with only one online race but some time trial (or "qualification laps"):

sound:
nothing unusual, tbh. It sounds like a car and as I don't own any of these cars, I can't say it's realistic or not.

graphics:
well... I am aware of the gifs in this thread but playing the game is really not something breathtaking at all, in my opinion. Many things just don't look good or rather "flat" and it's really not that realistic when playing as some replays might people think it is.
That doesn't mean the game doesn't look good, mind. And I think it's preferrable to cut graphics down for keeping a stable 60fps but this won't look better than DC if people were hoping for that. In the end, lighting might hide the shortcuts and the replay gifs will make the game look better than what you actually get while playing but that was also true for PS3 GT.

online racing:
like I said, I only had one race so far, it was Nürburgring and I had a ping of 124 and for that delay, it played really, really good. I didn't really have a chance after 3 minutes or so in but also didn't finish last and in the beginning there were a few warping issues but really nothing crucial and for the ping I had surprisingly "solid".

I just hope there will be more single player modes. As a guy with limited play time I want to do races when I think they're due and I want to take my time with it like I always did with racing games.
If single player stuff is limited and the main focus is online racing, then I'll potentially not buy the game, although the fundamentals seem really solid.

Mascot

If you play racing games on PC then yes, buy a wheel. Absolutely.

Don't buy a PS4 just for GTS though. Certainly not until it's out and reviewed and the actual online experience is a known quantity.

Do the races not update if you don't participate?

I've been busy and not taken part during race times, but completed the daily challenge, and the tracks have stayed the same the last few days with the same car classes and my qualifying time saved.

Euro beta.

danowat

Banned
Do the races not update if you don't participate?

I've been busy and not taken part during race times, but completed the daily challenge, and the tracks have stayed the same the last few days with the same car classes and my qualifying time saved.

Euro beta.

They're fixed, until such a time as PD decide to change them

Thanks guys - What wheel would you recommend?

IF you were looking to get the PS4/GT:S and didn't want the expense of the wheel as well you could look at a Chronosmax or GIMX adapter to get the DF:GT working, else People seem to like the Thrustmaster T300 or G29. I have the G29 and love it.

Sorc3r3r

The fact, at least for me, is that I can't find the GT driving experience I used to love in all these years.

I still don't get the physic, I don't trust the car reactions and the force feedback, the whole driving it's me expecting the car to initiate a weird, unpredictable movement over a bump all the time and then not been informed precisely by the ffb on what the fuck is happening, it's a horrible feeling that never happen to me in GT; remembers me the first version of Pcars.

Not being able to set fast(but also slow) bound/rebound it's even more frustrating.

IISANDERII

I think damage and longer races would also prevent a lot of the asshole driving too... maybe they could offer those for new people who want to rank up quicker in the final game too.
Definitely not. I'm going to quit halfway through this 30 lap race but before I do, I'll let the leaders try and lap me and smash into them, trying to wreck as many cars as possible.

I put hundreds of hours into GT5 and 6 and would not have played nearly as much if there was no ghosting. 2/3 of the time I entered a non ghosting lobby I would regret it.

Thanks guys - What wheel would you recommend?

Definitely a T300 if you have the money! [well if you have even quite a bit more money, wait for the new GTS wheel or get a Fanatec V2 + GIMX(or ChronusMAX)]
The GT Omega stand that Gutterboy44 posted about a few back is probably the best solution, I have a wheelstand pro, it's really solid and inexpensive. I don't feel the need to upgrade. Wouldn't recommend standard Playseats, they're not bad, but not great value in my experience, better to upgrade the GT Omega stand to a full rig then.

But for me personally, if I had no real interest in other Playstation exclusives, it wouldn't be worth the money to buy a console for GTS. This still feels a lot like GT5 and GT6. I don't feel a jump to next-gen, for me even Forza's jump felt bigger (admittedly I never played 4).

On the good side, it feels like GT and GT games are pretty great(FFB is definitely better than Forza's, far more like a car), it's far from revolutionary, the only really amazing thing are the replays.

If I was really itching for a new GT game, but didn't have a PS4 and no interest in other Playstation exclusives, I'd probably force myself to wait for Black Friday, then buy a T300, a PS4 slim in a GTS bundle (or even a used original PS4) and half a year of PS+, not earlier.

That wheel money is definitely not wasted if you play other sims on PC, even if you were always fine with how your DFGT felt.

Melfice7

I put hundreds of hours into GT5 and 6 and would not have played nearly as much if there was no ghosting. 2/3 of the time I entered a non ghosting lobby I would regret it.

If the game had proper collision physics instead of bumper car physics maybe ghosting wouldn't be needed.

With SR it almost guarantees you get good racing, but mistakes, bumps, accidents happen its part of racing..but a gentle touch side to side with the current physics can send you flying offtrack... i was really hoping that PD would finally sort collisions in GT Sport :\

Top Bottom