• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

cyber_ninja

evlrnv.png

It's the transltor-san. :)

New version is more solid progression, and some of the changes border more on "polish" than "additions." This feels entirely like a game that could be released this fall at this point, and I'm guessing they're going to run the beta until the day the thing goes gold to hammer out as many adjustments as possible. The experience has improved dramatically from the start of the beta and PD has been taking feedback extremely well. Hopefully some new invites go out in the near future as they've done after previous version updates. Increase in racing hours and mix with other regional servers would be a good sign, too, but I'm thinking they'll keep things segregated while they work through the JP beta at least.

Good:
Graphics upgrades.
Audio everything. Suspension rattling, sound at speed, etc.
Minor physics overhaul dealing with cars going off track and on the very edge of traction.
Improved detail level. Grass, for one.

Bad:
No apparent car balancing.
Some track shortcut exploits were resolved, but others remain.
DR and SR are still derived by mysterious Illuminati-tier secret formulas that the developers won't at all discuss with players and continue to change without explanation.

Meh:
No new cars or tracks, but this is just me being greedy during a beta. 1.05 significantly increased the game file size but there have been no content additions since then. There are obviously some things built in that are simply not unlocked, including rally mode and some cars.
Whatever additional AA coverage they seem to be using seems to apply to the standard and Pro models. The game is definitely cleaner than it was before.
Even on PS4Am I can see the upgrades, and it's unclear if the game has any pro-specific enhancements yet.

benzy

The MSAA isn't able to fully get rid of specular aliasing but it still looks much better than before. Most of my old replay shots came out looking like this 1.05 pic; the IQ consistency is much better on 1.06.

nivpei.png

arxyvl.png

gatebo.png

cgbajq.png

mmpifl.png

gjdpal.png

Niks

5 minutes in, and I can already notice the updates.

You can hear the gravel stones after coming on the track again. Nice little detail.
And maybe its just me, but did they widen the nurburgring a tiny bit? Im not 100% sure but Im pretty certain thats the case?

Can anyone confirm?

Unknown?

Am I the only one that noticed shadow pop in dramatically reduced on trees? Like it's a longer draw distance and it seems like more transition rather than just off then on. Maybe it's just me. It's still there but less jarring.

I unlocked a Scirocco GR4 today and it let me select the color scheme. Isn't that new? I only remember being able to select the color scheme for street cars while the race cars always came in a preset color.

p3n

I unlocked a Scirocco GR4 today and it let me select the color scheme. Isn't that new? I only remember being able to select the color scheme for street cars while the race cars always came in a preset color.

It was the first car I unlocked the day the EU beta was starting. I could select colours back then as well. Went with the edgy red/black.

DieH@rd

Banned

You can hear the gravel stones after coming on the track again. Nice little detail.
And maybe its just me, but did they widen the nurburgring a tiny bit? Im not 100% sure but Im pretty certain thats the case?

Can anyone confirm?

Maybe they tweaked the FOV a bit, and that is making the environment look wider.

Can anyone confirm?

Can't imagine if it's laser scanned they would mess with it. They have their fantasy tracks to alter, community would be up in arms if they messed about with Nurb.

It was the first car I unlocked the day the EU beta was starting. I could select colours back then as well. Went with the edgy red/black.

Damn, I thought that was new. I really didn't remember being able to select a color for it.

Still waiting for them to cycle in a new set of tracks. I really want to see what they've done with Dragon Trail. I'd also like to see Tokyo Expressway again. I know that's a controversial track, but it hasn't been in the beta since the first phase. I don't think it's been available at all since the beta with live in Europe.

To beta persons reading! PD has put out a call for specific video examples where people think their SR gets unfairly reduced so they can refine the system further. Check your regional forums.

I've been in S-rank SR for a few weeks and I'll admit I have no idea how well or poorly the current SR determination script works. I just don't see contact beyond a few minor rear taps any more, and as of this patch those seem to not be penalized much if you just have 1-2 in a race. 1.05 had savagely hardcore deductions. Considering we're all playing from different locations, some needs to be allowed on at least 1-directional contact. Expecting two players to brake within a tenth of a second of one another when total latency is longer than that is asking too much. Different cars and different driving styles cause braking points to vary by as much as a quarter second, too. In a LAN competition with spec cars I'd be fine with absolutely zero tolerance, but not general internet play.

Putty

Am I the only one that noticed shadow pop in dramatically reduced on trees? Like it's a longer draw distance and it seems like more transition rather than just off then on. Maybe it's just me. It's still there but less jarring.

TBH i think it's still there on the ring, i never really had a problem on the other tracks...seem's maybe a bit further out. I'd like to see them dither it in rather than it just "pop"...

bud

the sounds are definitely improving. which is nice. upshifting could still use some work, though. my biggest annoyance is when you're next to another car, and your own car seems to go mute while the other one is barely audible.

is there a summary of kaz's/pd's posts on the private forums somewhere? would love to read them. i'm in the beta, but i just can't seem to access the forums.

Putty

the sounds are definitely improving. which is nice. upshifting could still use some work, though. my biggest annoyance is when you're next to another car, and your own car seems to go mute while the other one is barely audible.

is there a summary of kaz's/pd's posts on the private forums somewhere? would love to read them. i'm in the beta, but i just can't seem to access the forums.

There's defo some real time ducking going on when more cars around you. You'll notice the kerb sounds duck the engine sounds as well.

Putty

also, on the ring, i could hear the spectators cheering. was that there before?

I can't remember hearing, you can also now here music dotted around the track, more noticeable during replays. At first i thought it was coming from outside 8)

l2ounD

l3WEhGG.png

Yay, tire marks! Also driving through the gravel and having the rocks rattle under the chassis is a nice touch. They need to add in more layers like that.

Mascot

Putty

Christ alive, I'm getting close to actually praising the audio in a GT game, something I'd completely given up on ever happening. Those are really nice improvements with hopefully a lot more to come.

Just curious - why GIMX and not CronusMAX Plus?

I really think once they tighten the mix up a bit better, it'll be good to go. For me all elements don't "quite" blend in terms of volumes so some elements stand out just a bit. Imagine the sounds going through the tunnels on the Tokyo track though 8)

There really has been a huge improvement since the game was first announced, makes me wonder what the fuck PD were doing all those years before. They are most certainly making improvements which is all I care about, really solid ones at that. I don't want it releasing half arsed though, even if it takes until next year so be it, just want a really solid game.

Have PD said anything about in game currency and using that to buy shit? This game is very much a service game like overwatch from the sounds of it, really hope PD don't get a system to start buying stuff in game with real currency. I fear it's just a matter of time until that happens though, if there is any game Sony owns which could absolutely mint it from a currency point of view, it's this game.

Lastly, I'm gonna pre-order the game but want to do it on the NA store to save some money, fuck UK prices. Would I be region locked to only NA players if I did that?

danowat

Banned
Christ alive, I'm getting close to actually praising the audio in a GT game, something I'd completely given up on ever happening. Those are really nice improvements with hopefully a lot more to come.

Damn, I better fire it up again if Mascot is impressed!

Dave_6

Color me impressed with the audio update! I haven't played the beta much so far but I played it for nearly two hours straight last night. I'll be logging on nightly now.

Top Bottom