• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport is down... AGAIN!

Woodchipper

Seriously, Sony and Polyphony, what on earth are you doing? If you release an online based racer which also contains an offline career mode there are a couple of things you HAVE to make sure are in place.

1. Servers that fucking works.
2. The ability to save your offline career progress if the servers go down.

Fix the fucking problem you lazy bastards.

Blam

I wouldn't have put it that harshly, but point still stands to not have a false sense of lifespan for your game because as soon as Sony drops the nuke, and cuts online. The game is literally dead. Couldn't even save lmao.

Unknown?

Seriously, Sony and Polyphony, what on earth are you doing? If you release an online based racer which also contains an offline career mode there are a couple of things you HAVE to make sure are in place.

1. Servers that fucking works.
2. The ability to save your offline career progress if the servers go down.

Fix the fucking problem you lazy bastards.
Dude chill. You act like it has been down all the time. This EXTREME!!!! attitude smells of trolling. If it is down for a long time then yes, I’d agree.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Things go down, its just the way things are.
Gt sport has been out about 4 months now,I bet total down time is less the 1%, hardly a cause of concern.
If it happens again do some housework or something.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Gt sport has been out about 4 months now,I bet total down time is less the 1%, hardly a cause of concern.
Nah. I pay Sony for access to their network. It's not unreasonable for me to expect it to be working when I want to use it.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Nah. I pay Sony for access to their network. It's not unreasonable for me to expect it to be working when I want to use it.

A 99% online rate is pretty good. You never going to get a perfect system.
But I do agree downtime can be incredibly frustrating.

EpochZero

Neo Member
A 99% online rate is pretty good. You never going to get a perfect system.
But I do agree downtime can be incredibly frustrating.

In the services world this is referred to as "two 9s" - and is terrible performance. That's 5,256 minutes... or 87.6 hours... or 3.65 days of unplanned downtime per year. Services typically strive for "four 9s" - which is 52.56 minutes... less than an hour... of unplanned downtime per year.

What are you complaining about? I've been playing every day since it came out last year and its been down a few times for maintenance and have had ONE race end due to drop out

This down time was actually listed on the news in the menu yesterday, maybe you should start paying attention.

Last edited:
In the services world this is referred to as "two 9s" - and is terrible performance. That's 5,256 minutes... or 87.6 hours... or 3.65 days of unplanned downtime per year. Services typically strive for "four 9s" - which is 52.56 minutes... less than an hour... of unplanned downtime per year.

You're supposed to strive for five 9's at least, which is world class. Four 9's is just pretty good. But can you go six 9's???

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

When you compare it to Xbox Love then it’s pretty shameful how stable that is compared to PSN.

Also, PSN isn’t free anymore, so it should be more stable than it is now.

Malcolm9

When you compare it to Xbox Love then it’s pretty shameful how stable that is compared to PSN.

Also, PSN isn’t free anymore, so it should be more stable than it is now.

PSN is just as reliable as Xbox Live these days, this isn't 2007.

petrus91

XBL was down only a few weeks ago.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/update-xbox-live-back-but-experiencing-issues-on-x/1100-6455903/

Both services have their fair share of problems. Claiming one to be much superior than the other is rubbish IMO.

Agreed, but to be fair Sony wouldn't have survived if they wouldn't adjust their lackluster infrastructure of PS3 era. They had no voice chat which, nowadays, it's the big deal. The biggest differential to me and some of my friend who own both consoles is the reliability of the network. There are some days that I may get 20 Mb/s and some other days I get 100 Mb/s on PSN, some day that groups just don't work well and some days that it's flawless. I just don't think their service is adeguate to the player base yet.
As far as I am concerned, from a user perspective, XBL still has it on group stability (I have NAT1 on PS4P) and voice quality, as well as security and some minor features like LFG built in the network.
People who just complain PSN is bad may never have been on it, so no worries. It is actually leagues better than it was 5 years ago for sure.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Agreed, but to be fair Sony wouldn't have survived if they wouldn't adjust their lackluster infrastructure of PS3 era. They had no voice chat which, nowadays, it's the big deal. The biggest differential to me and some of my friend who own both consoles is the reliability of the network. There are some days that I may get 20 Mb/s and some other days I get 100 Mb/s on PSN, some day that groups just don't work well and some days that it's flawless. I just don't think their service is adeguate to the player base yet.
As far as I am concerned, from a user perspective, XBL still has it on group stability (I have NAT1 on PS4P) and voice quality, as well as security and some minor features like LFG built in the network.
People who just complain PSN is bad may never have been on it, so no worries. It is actually leagues better than it was 5 years ago for sure.

No voice chat? I had voice chat even in the PS2 era. That goes even way back with the PS2 Online alpha test. PS3 already had chat lobbies.

Top Bottom