• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Official Gameplay Trailer (PS4 footage)

dubc35

I used to love GT, would even call myself a GT fanboy back in the day. Boy how the great have fallen.

Do logitech wheels even work on ps4 yet?

Effect

Hmm. All replay footage was the first thing that sent up a red flag. If it's anything like the past games then the game looks, sometimes significantly, better in the replay footage then when you are actively playing the game. If that wasn't the case I would imagine they'd have no problem showing off direct feed footage of actual gameplay. A replay, especially with the GT series isn't gameplay as we all know it. I also noticed that there still doesn't appear to be any damage on the car. The one hit the wall and there was noting on the car reflecting that. The music seems about same which means you'll likely be okay turning it off or you won't even hear it.

Where there any sounds of the cars in the trailer? I don't remember any so there is no way to tell if the sound design has improved.

I love playing GT6 and I admit my experience with the series is limited. However I was looking forward to GT7 before this was announced and was hoping the issues with GT6 would be addressed. I don't think they have been. At least I'm not seeing it if they are. This was pretty underwhelming for a trailer though.

EGOMON

According to the streamers Kaz said to them that the game is 50% complete so they are still half way through!

I can't believe after all these years GT still can't do fucking trees. I mean come on PGR did trees better and that came out in 2001.

Also jaggies, screen tearing and 15-20fps?

I wonder if this will outsell GT6.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
To those disappointed about graphics, i never understood the hype PS4 GT was getting in response to Forza and Driveclub and Project Cars. If your so concerned about 60fps and 1080p, this is what you get. Its no different from what other devs have to sacrifice for that.

It should not have been unexpected, you did it to yourselves.

That's without even taking into account that Polyphony hasn't been top of the line for a while now. And i guess we can give them some out in regards to this being a spinoff title, but that's a very weak excuse

AndyD

aka andydumi
To those disappointed about graphics, i never understood the hype PS4 GT was getting in response to Forza and Driveclub and Project Cars. If your so concerned about 60fps and 1080p, this is what you get. Its no different from what other devs have to sacrifice for that.

The problem is that GT is hardly ever locked 60. There's common slowdown and tearing traditionally.

I might have bought that, but is a shame I bought DOOM yesterday and is delivering cutting edge 1080p/60fps graphics.

Also I think Forza does looks better than this. PD has been outclassed, when they were kings before.

Inuhanyou

The problem is that GT is hardly ever locked 60. There's common slowdown and tearing traditionally.

And that just proves that they aren't top of the line in terms of tech or optimization, right? But the point is still the same, the hype was unwarranted based on our previous examples of the last two games, whether it was with recycled cars from PS2 era, bad FPS, reused assets and whathave you

The posts thinking this was gonna blow away Forza 6 or any of the other racing games felt very strange to me

I think it looks fab, considering what it's doing. The cars look really nice especially and that's the focus of a GT game. It doesn't look mind-blowing though, which I guess is why people aren't happy. Hopefully it's a good sim.

And that just proves that they aren't top of the line in terms of tech or optimization, right? But the point is still the same, the hype was unwarranted based on our previous examples of the last two games, whether it was with recycled cars from PS2 era, bad FPS, reused assets and whathave you

The posts thinking this was gonna blow away Forza 6 or any of the other racing games felt very strange to me

While not entirely mindblowing, GT5 was a proper jump in graphical quality, yeah it had some glaring issues, but still it was impressive and a graphical PS3 powerhouse.

GTS? Not so much.

Inuhanyou

I might have bought that, but is a shame I bought DOOM yesterday and is delivering cutting edge 1080p/60fps graphics.

Also I think Forza does looks better than this. PD has been outclassed, when they were kings before.

Sure, i'd agree with you...but again, DOOM is on a completely different engine optimized to hell and back with very different requirements for run of play than a racing game with other priorities.

One can never say i am not fair to modern Polyphony, i give them all kinds of excuses, i really have no desire to at this point in time...i haven't been impressed with their work since A-spec

oldergamer

Did I see a mode where you insert/position 3D car models into a actual photo? That would fool many people thinking it's in game graphics.

Gestault

I'm surprised they lingered on some of the less flattering moments like they did, but this still looks like it has all the pieces in place to be a solid sim.

Did I see a mode where you insert/position 3D car models into a actual photo? That would fool many people thinking it's in game graphics.

Some of those example shots looked unconvincing.

IKizzLE

I think it looks fab, considering what it's doing. The cars look really nice especially and that's the focus of a GT game. It doesn't look mind-blowing though, which I guess is why people aren't happy. Hopefully it's a good sim.
People aren't happy because the environments are a decade old, the tire squeal was ripped from gt6, car sounds are still garbage, there is no mention of damage, etc.

People are unhappy because the only thing pd worked on was the car models. This should be a racing simulator, not a gallery simulator.

Assuming it's "unfinished" and not just this version's version of the simple interior view. While the detailed interiors will look a lot better.

Why wouldn't they all be detailed? They aren't doing that standard PS2 model vs premium BS are they?

Inuhanyou

While not entirely mindblowing, GT5 was a proper jump in graphical quality, yeah it had some glaring issues, but still it was impressive and a graphical PS3 powerhouse.

GTS? Not so much.

I guess that's a reasonable viewpoint to have, but those issues GT5 had were very significant, let's not dismiss it outright. That's in conjunction with their sloggish development cycles compared to other racing devs, the only conclusion we can come to is that they have long since been caught and even surpassed in many areas, if not all of them

Because they were a bad dev that couldn't deliver on promises.

They did deliver on the visuals front to be fair..and DC ended up eventually becoming a good game, but i always thought it was a mistake they didn't do another Motorstorm for PS4 instead of a racing sim.

velociraptor

Damn this trailer was really disappointing. Visually it doesn't look much better than GT6 either. Honestly I've lost faith in PD. Maybe I'll wait for gameplay footage and impressions from others.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I am going to keep driving this home, but you guys are in for a rude awakening regarding cross vr platform titles. The sacrifices that need to be made are substantial.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Well up to GT4 and arguably 5 they were way ahead in terms of visuals and content. So some imperfections in otherwise advanced visuals were OK. Since the 4-5 era they are falling behind fast. Both in terms of speed of producing stuff, consistency and overall quality. Many hope that with the PS4 and GT Sport/7 PD can regain the crown, but based on this trailer and the stream I am not at all sold.

Looks astonishing. Seriously impressed by them, finally, putting an effort to bring a livery editor.

Can't wait to see what silly gameplay desing choice they'll come up with to baffle us all.

ViciousDS

Banned
According to the streamers Kaz said to them that the game is 50% complete so they are still half way through!

why does this sound even worse............wouldn't a game be basically complete being only 6 months away? It should from here on out basically be optimizations with minor features being added in.....only 50% done sounds like this shits going to be a mess come launch....or delayed

Aenima

Lol, in the last section of the trailer the road textures are not even loaded. WTF. GT6 looks way better than that on a PS3. What a complete trash.

Synth

That's without even taking into account that Polyphony hasn't been top of the line for a while now. And i guess we can give them some out in regards to this being a spinoff title, but that's a very weak excuse

Eh, I dunno...

Sure, there are areas where PD's been dropping the ball on past iterations (PS2 assets, damage modelling, 60fps lock, sound, etc) but they were also demonstrating things that nobody else on similar hardware was last-gen. Forza was running better, and arguably playing better, and wasn't using a bunch of car models from 2001... but at the same time, it had no night racing at all, let alone fully dynamic lighting (which it still doesn't have today), it also had no weather, and GT5's smoke game was ridiculous for the time. GT5 and 6's graphical lows were far, far lower than Forza's, but it's highs were also higher... which is why in comparison threads, overly flattering GT5/6 gifs are constantly posted in a semi-serious "holds it own against the current gen" manner. It was easy to put any of the graphical shortcoming down to the limitations of the hardware, which would logically be alleviated this gen. Gran Turismo lighting + PS4 simply seemed like something that you basically can't fuck up.

With that said though, this seems far more GTHD than GT5, so I wouldn't put too much stock into how this one currently looks. For all we know, it looks identical in VR.

I do agree that any expectations of Driveclub getting dethroned, whilst the game runs at 60fps were a tad ridiculous though. Superior art (i.e. lighting) is pretty much the only way for GT to punch above its weight there. It even has a ton of inherent disadvantages by being set primarily on bland race tracks, whilst Driveclub had completely fictional tracks, that employ a ton of trackside detail that's designed specifically to look appealing. A wide patch of grass is going to look worse than a road lined closely on both sides by tall trees, bushes.

Really, it's Project Cars that's acting as a comparison point, as it seems to fully check off Gran Turismos feature-list (and more) whilst looking better currently. It's pretty much the first time we're not comparing apples and pears, like GT and Forza always have been.

Top Bottom