• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo SPORT | OT | Putting it all on the line

magawolaz

For those who have the game and don't have PS Plus, does Sport Mode still work like the demo did last week? I was surprised while playing the demo last week that I was able to compete in online races in Sport Mode but I fear they allowed everyone who downloaded the demo to experience everything to entice them to buy the game.
The demo description was that "you can play online even without PS+" so I think the full version need PS+, since they stressed that in demo you don't.

Would someone confirm did I just renew PS+ in vain?
Demo was kind of a stress test. You will need PS+ for multiplayer racing in the full game

I'm not seeing anything about PSVR support in the OP, unless I'm blind.
Is that coming later?
It's in, this guy has lots of videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/BHRxRACER/videos?disable_polymer=1

Bollocks

GT-Sport-1.jpg

Is, is that a full 24h online race at nurburgring?
ib.gif

Rey

Guys help me decide should I go with the default quality mode as I am on 4K Bravia with PRO and leave dem replays at 30fsp. Or push the PRO to output 1080p + 60fps replays.
I am torn.

I love watching replays so I would choose 60 fps.After seeing 60fps its hard to watch the 30fps replays... BUT I don’t have a 4K screen so :-/

This could probably solved with a refund allowing you to repurchase.

Someone on the forum did that, lost his pre-order bonuses and ended up paying 20$ more because the price increased between 2016 and now, at least in Canada.

Just had a little chat with Sony CSR and it seems the issue should be resolved somewhere today.

Someone on the forum did that, lost his pre-order bonuses and ended up paying 20$ more because the price increased between 2016 and now, at least in Canada.

Just had a little chat with Sony CSR and it seems the issue should be resolved somewhere today.

Oh yeah. I wouldn't let go of that Canadian order. I was happy to get the base game for $59.99.

I will not focus on getting the win for a while. I just want to focus on having clean races. I will worry about winning later when I can race clean.

This is me right now, it’s an incredible feeling for me. For so long I’ve been a 1st place on everything kind of driver. So much so that I restart so much, or rewind in forza. This is liberating.

Tfault

Psvr impressions?

From PlayStation LifeStyle

Virtual Reality

Rather than having the full game playable in virtual reality, the GT Sport VR experience is split into two separate modes: VR Driving and VR Showroom. I'll start with the latter, which is really an awfully tacked-on mode that allows the player to walk around the beautiful cars. Driveclub VR had a similar mode, but this is even more limited as players can't get inside the cars of their dreams in VR. It's way too limited to be of any value, and it's really too bad since I enjoyed the same gimmickry in Driveclub.

Thankfully, the VR Driving makes up for the other mode being a disappointment. Playing Gran Turismo Sport in virtual reality feels amazing. Actually feeling like you're inside these top-notch vehicles is an awesome accomplishment, and it adds a lot of strategy in having to actually watch your mirrors while driving. It really adds so much to the experience, and while there's a definite knock in resolution, it looks much better than Driveclub VR. Sadly, the mode is super bare bones (several options such as certain time conditions can't be picked), and you can only race against one other car on the tracks. It makes an incredible first impression, and then I was left wondering why I booted up the mode since there wasn't much to actually do in it.

Gran Turismo Sport could've easily had been one of PlayStation VR's killer apps. The racing feels that good while wearing the headset, and unfortunately with the way it's packaged, it's turned into a throwaway mode that you'll occasionally use or show friends, but that's it. There's no real replayability, no proper structure, and nothing to keep players coming back. As far as entertainment goes, it's an absolute tragedy that it's been undersold rather than been fleshed out further.

Not very positive unfortunately.

This is me right now, it’s an incredible feeling for me. For so long I’ve been a 1st place on everything kind of driver. So much so that I restart so much, or rewind in forza. This is liberating.

Glad people are doing this! I'm starting this way as well.

Think of myself as an amateur driver at the moment. Winning is secondary to learning how to race fairly.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Still not sure which version to buy.
On one hand, deluxe version is like only 10$ more and gives you bunch of cars and money. On the other hand, in these games I enjoy farming credits and unlocking cars at my own pace, building my garage. I feel like deluxe edition will just fuck up my progression.

Just get standard. Credits come pretty fast, and it sounds like you are in no rush to buy some ultra-expensive car ASAP that is kind of unnecessary to own in most features and modes anyway.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Yea Forza 7 even got worse this year by stuffing the game full of multi-race championships with a completion mark given to those that perfectly place first in every race, thus making perfection vital for completists. They are effectively promoting the constant use of rewind, rather than making any attempt to ween players off the helpful crutch. It really kind of bugs me far more than the lootcrates.

Strider

Whether I focus on winning or not solely depends on how well I qualify. If I start toward the top I'll go for it... if I don't then I'll just keep it clean and enjoy casually going around the track.

Small sample size but my time online in the full release has been excellent. Way better than the beta...

The sport mode, in general, is really well executed.

cooldawn

Comments about weight transfer weren't wrong. There's a much fuller communication to weight transfer than in Project CARS 2, for example. No wonder grabbing a decent finishing position, or even a podium, would feel like a real achievement.

Amazing implementation.

Wow, I just finished my first Sports Mode race in the full game. Not sure if it was because everyone was new and going by the SR zen (I have a B rating, but that's what you start out with too), but it was *incredibly* well mannered. One guy was driving a little eagerly, and bumped me from behind slightly (enough to throw me off and let him overtake me) and crossed the finish line before me.

But it was a real pleasure and a laugh to see him penalized appropriately, and losing the placement. I feel this is an improvement since the demo last week, where even though someone hit you from behind and it was obviously their mistake, you would lose SR points, and they would not be affected. Here, my SR was not affected at all (in fact I gained SR points at the end of the race), so it looks like they've fixed that. This can only get better =)

uBr0CVCc_o.jpg

Sportsmanship Rating in full effect on #GTS. That SactifiedRight [sic] racer bumped me from behind to get ahead & was righteously penalized.
While this looks good I hope time penalties fairly reflect the crime. I'd hate to get a seemingly 'standard' 3 second penalty for a bump of less magnitude.

mojo2

Neo Member
Demo was kind of a stress test. You will need PS+ for multiplayer racing in the full game
[/url]

Thanks. Was a bit steep to drop 120 eur for the game and PS+ but based on demo it's easily worth it. At least I already have my G29 and Omega GT wheelstand.

Comments about weight transfer weren't wrong. There's a much fuller communication to weight transfer than in Project CARS 2, for example. No wonder grabbing a decent finishing position, or even a podium, would feel like a real achievement.

Amazing implementation.

While this looks good I hope time penalties fairly reflect the crime. I'd hate to get a seemingly 'standard' 3 second penalty for a bump of less magnitude.

I just did my first race. I got bumped going into one of the last turns but still secured a green SR icon—and a clean race bonus.

While that’s anecdotal and one sample, at the very least it’s a relief.

Loudninja

IGN PSVR impressions
Impressive too is the PlayStation VR functionality, despite the hit in resolution. It’s limited to one-on-one battles against the AI but it works across all tracks. With a wheel it’s a pretty terrific entry-level advertisement for just how incredibly immersive VR can be. Importantly the view is very stable and far superior to DriveClub, which simulated head tilting and seemed determined to summon up a breakfast barf.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/17/gran-turismo-sport-review

ty_hot

Just added all guys that posted their PSN Ids before the midnight launch. My copy is (hopefuly) coming tomorrow only as I am in Europe.

Haven't watched the intro yet, gonna wait for the big moment when I have it in my hands.

mojo2

Neo Member
uBr0CVCc_o.jpg

Sportsmanship Rating in full effect on #GTS. That SactifiedRight [sic] racer bumped me from behind to get ahead & was righteously penalized.

GTS is the first time I really wish Sony would allow people to change their PSN nicknames. Some cringe worthy stuff was seen at the demo. I'm looking at you, mr. "weedboi4sho".

DagsJT

As I have a 1080p TV and a Pro, am I better for quality or performance? I see replays change between 30fps and 60fps but is there any fps difference during actual racing to make it worth choosing performance? Any obvious drops from 60fps?

If VR was usable in regular Sport mode online it would make such a difference. Think it'll ever make it in a future patch, or is that a pipe-dream?

Torgo

Just to clarify things re: PS4 vs PS4 Pro. When I talked to Kaz at PSX last year, he said that the PS4 Pro adds:

The only other addition that's been identified so far is that if you set your Pro to 1080P, it'll run replays at 60FPS.

Geometry, polygon counts, AA, framerate etc are all the same between the PS4 models

Z3M0G

Can the game be played without internet connection? I'm wondering if it would be a good pickup for our work gaming room that has a PSVR but network connection is impossible.

Just to clarify things re: PS4 vs PS4 Pro. When I talked to Kaz at PSX last year, he said that the PS4 Pro adds:

The only other addition that's been identified so far is that if you set your Pro to 1080P, it'll run replays at 60FPS.

Geometry, polygon counts, AA, framerate etc are all the same between the PS4 models

I wonder if that’s a testament to PD, a knock on the Pro, or a bit of both?

Top Bottom