• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo SPORT | OT | Putting it all on the line

Just to clarify things re: PS4 vs PS4 Pro. When I talked to Kaz at PSX last year, he said that the PS4 Pro adds:

The only other addition that's been identified so far is that if you set your Pro to 1080P, it'll run replays at 60FPS.

Geometry, polygon counts, AA, framerate etc are all the same between the PS4 models

This is a pretty big addition, as no other racer (on console) offers 60fps replays.

Drackhorn

Is, is that a full 24h online race at nurburgring?
ib.gif
Wouldn't surprise me. There was a 24h LeMans race in GT5 and for a long time you couldn't even save mid-game until they patched it in.

danowat

Banned
Can the game be played without internet connection? I'm wondering if it would be a good pickup for our work gaming room that has a PSVR but network connection is impossible.
Only thing you can get offline is arcade, not even sure if 'saving' works offline.

Its essentially an online game only.

Edit : re, the shit storm that is the review thread, is multi console ownership that rare these days?

Geometry, polygon counts, AA, framerate etc are all the same between the PS4 models
Digital Foundry reported that there's improved AA on Pro when playing in the quality mode.

Also, it's quite possible that there is improved poly counts, at least in scapes or photo mode. The game uses tessellation on both standard and Pro, so in that way they're the same. But there seems to be no reason why tessellation wouldn't perform better on the faster hardware. It'd be less likely to affect gameplay, where other bottlenecks are in play.

I honestly won't miss the old campaign mode.

Its about as antiquated as "arcade mode" in fighting games.

It's not fun to spend 20 hours playing races where you over tune your car and lap the guy in 2nd place regularly.

JamboGT

How have the servers been since the game launched in the US? That is really my only worry... Not seen many complaints so can't be too bad. Europe will hit them hard though.

Torgo

Digital Foundry reported that there's improved AA on Pro when playing in the quality mode.

Also, it's quite possible that there is improved poly counts, at least in scapes or photo mode. The game uses tessellation on both standard and Pro, so in that way they're the same. But there seems to be no reason why tessellation wouldn't perform better on the faster hardware. It'd be less likely to affect gameplay, where other bottlenecks are in play.

Yeah, like I said, this was last December, so things can change.

I am picking up the Special edition from game stop tomorrow afternoon.

My heart is full of unbridled excitement and enthusiasm.

My kids are going to have to look after themselves ;)

p.s. Sign me up for online races please GAF/PSN chillumchilla

cooldawn

I just did my first race. I got bumped going into one of the last turns but still secured a green SR icon—and a clean race bonus.

While that’s anecdotal and one sample, at the very least it’s a relief.
You mean the person who bumped you secured a 'green' SR icon?

I mean if it's an inconsequential tap then there should not be a penalty but if a bump induces lost time or position then a time penally should be enforced. I just hope that 3 second stamp on that screen isn't indicative of a 'standard' for anything bump related.

On another note, Driving School lesson 32 is a horrible lesson in corner cutting. What where they thinking?

Oh...and my prize car is a Mazda GT3. Really happy with that. I can already tell which cars I won't touch with a barge pole so far doing these Driving School tests.

danowat

Banned
And now people are losing their shit over it being essentially online only, again.

These discussions are cyclic, I'm sure we did this months ago.

And now people are losing their shit over it being essentially online only, again.

Relax and enjoy the game! :)

There's no point in trying to change the minds of those in the review thread. It just frustrates you.

The transfer from the beta worked fine, but it resets you back to Level 1 (expected).

I streamed for an hour last night to YouTube, and then woke up this morning to an email saying my video was blocked due to copyright on a song:

Copyrighted content: London in the rain
Claimed by: [Merlin] PschentMusic

Is there truly no copy from left side to right in the Livery Editor?

Wouldn't surprise me. There was a 24h LeMans race in GT5 and for a long time you couldn't even save mid-game until they patched it in.

There was a 24 hours Nordschleife race too. I remember because I did it before they patched in mid-race save. Looking back now it feels so foolish and waste of time lol.

Torgo

It's really not though. I've been playing since Thursday, and nothing has been online at all.

riverfr0zen

Neo Member
how can it be? Is there online seat swapping? (serious question, would be glorious)

Holy crap, that would be an amazing online feature. Swap online driver for marathon races. Swapping driver inherits car condition/position etc. Tally at end and extra points for drivers who performed best.

Dammit, the potential is there, ugh.

For VR DLC! (I would totally pay a good amount of money for a more fleshed out VR GT product)

While this looks good I hope time penalties fairly reflect the crime. I'd hate to get a seemingly 'standard' 3 second penalty for a bump of less magnitude.

I'm kind of certain that I've seen penalties varying, and pretty sure they're not all stock '3-second' ones. How they vary and how it is applied, I'm less certain of. However, I would argue with your point in general in that the 'number of seconds' per penalty itself does not really matter. Frequency of bad driving events that lead to penalties during a race is a stronger metric here, I think, and the number of seconds will pile on as these occur more for bad drivers.

It does not matter so much that you got 2 seconds for that bump, 5 for that one, then 3 for the last one. The fact that you got 3 penalties in that time period is the truer issue.

emjot

Just got a trophy for completing every rallye mission, seems there aren't any left after missions stage 6. which is good, that stuff is embarrassingly bad.

Wollan

The transfer from the beta worked fine, but it resets you back to Level 1 (expected).
Similarly Driving School progress from what I've read which was also expected so I didn't put unnecessary hours into the Beta.
Money (max 1 million) and Cars (max 7) transfers over.

magawolaz

Holy crap, that would be an amazing online feature. Swap online driver for marathon races. Swapping driver inherits car condition/position etc. Tally at end and extra points for drivers who performed best.
It would be an organization nightmare though. It's most likely just the name of the event, so a simple 9-minutes GT3 race on the Nurburgring 24h layout.

Karu

On my road to E - S lol. Online is super fun, everybody who is hesitant should still check it out. I usually place between 8-14 during Qualifying, but often end up in the lower third, because of my hesitation to risk anything. But then again, I end up with a blue safety rating in a see of red haha.

pixelation

Why do trees look worse in GT Sport than they do in GT3?, i thought i was taking crazy pills but went back and looked at trees in GT3 and they are uniformly lit (hard to tell they're basically cardboard trees). In GT Sport however they are not uniformly lit, one piece of the tree is brightly lit while the intersecting piece is several shades darker and the cardboard effect sticks out like a sore thumb as a result, is it due to GI?. I cannot look past the freaking trees, nope... not even when going full speed, i (believe it or not) use my peripheral vision when driving and cardboard trees stick out in a horrid manner, i really do hope that trees are high up on the "things to improve a ton on list" come the next Gran Turismo (on PS5).

On my road to E - S lol. Online is super fun, everybody who is hesitant should still check it out. I usually place between 8-14 during Qualifying, but often end up in the lower third, because of my hesitation to risk anything. But then again, I end up with a blue safety rating in a see of red haha.

This is a path that I will be walking right with you!

wouwie

Just a quick question out of curiosity for someone who has the game: can you move the camera in the cockpit all the way to the front so that you have a dash cam (similar to Driveclub)? These options were disabled in the demo, i think.

Prophane33

I am picking up the Special edition from game stop tomorrow afternoon.

My heart is full of unbridled excitement and enthusiasm.

My kids are going to have to look after themselves ;)

p.s. Sign me up for online races please GAF/PSN chillumchilla

Haha. Coming home early today, and I usually cook dinner, but this morning before she left for work I told told my wife, "It's Gran Turismo day, I don't know what dinner is tonight, but you're taking care of it". She knows GT is like a religion for me. Not going into the office tomorrow just to play most of the day.

Torgo

Just a quick question out of curiosity for someone who has the game: can you move the camera in the cockpit all the way to the front so that you have a dash cam (similar to Driveclub)? These options were disabled in the demo, i think.

No, it just moves you closer to the dash. The wheel and hands are still in view

Personally I am glad they changed the formula to make it more online centric for GTS so far.

I like the challenges and progression system. Far better than any previous GT game.

I quite liked GT5 but GT6 did not do much for me. It was like GT5 but with very slightly better graphics and physics but worse frame rate.

GTS so far feels solid and is running great.

Prophane33

A lot of people seem to use their PS4s offline it seems.

I can't comprehend that. I don't even really play online games that often and get PS+ because of the "free" games. You can get it for like 45 bucks a year (though I do like around 15 dollars for 3 months for Japanese PS+). I understand if you are in college or whatever and don't have that kind of disposable income (I'm not gonna judge how other people spend their money); however, it seems like an essential thing to owning any console, especially if you want to take advantage of digital sales, or play things like Destiny or other big AAA games with online components.

Top Bottom