• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo SPORT | OT | Putting it all on the line

Rodelero

Seems silly to give only 3 races each week that just repeat over and over every 20 minutes/1 hour.

They should rotate daily (they're called 'Daily Races' after all), but so far they don't seem to have changed. Perhaps an oddity around yesterday only being the release date for some regions?

Foxxsoxx

Well I might be terrible at racers seeing as I never got into them but this game triggered some memories of playing GT3 once at my uncle's well over a decade ago. The presentation is top notch and all I remember of GT3 and it's here in spades. Not to mention the game has this feel good tone that's just incredible.

I was redboxing to test it out thinking I wouldn't like it but I have no idea if this should be a buy. I don't know the first thing about cars or racing games but something about the game just feels so cozy.

Makki

I love the implementation of Force Feedback for understeer using my T300. Unlike other games where the wheel goes completely limp in understeer conditions or when you turn the wheel too much, GTSport keeps giving you some resistance and it also introduces vibration to the wheel as if your front end is skipping across the road surface. It’s wonderful, I am finding myself enjoying the use of a wheel on a racing game more than ever.
Its a great feeling considering I was never able to pick the right settings on Project Cars 1 or 2 and here I just ran default settings. I had stopped using the wheel on the other games because of it.

danowat

Banned
So I've put in a couple-to-a-few hours into GTS and I can certainly understand the negative opinions of some out there. My impression of the game is definitely good, there's so much to like. Driving feels great (on the controller, anyway), I appreciate the faster load times throughout (compared to previous GT games), presentation is off the charts, and the game looks gorgeous in 4K/HDR.

However, I'm already finding it hard to be motivated to continue playing. I'm the kind of person that plays towards an overall goal, so I'm not big on simple arcade races or time trials. At this point, when I boot up the game, I feel like my options are "tutorial or wait for an online race?" Any mode in the campaign feels like just another tutorial and after completing quite a few of them, I think I'm over it. The only reason to complete them is for the prize car, which feels like a waste of time because what exactly am I using the prize car for? I'm not needing them to complete a series, I'm not given any reason to drive them unless I just want to. It's kind of weird to say that I liked it better when I was forced to drive cars for series races that I otherwise wouldn't, but that's what I've found.

As for the online, I've also been disappointed in the Sport mode because as of right now, I'm not quite sure what I'm racing for. The leagues, when they start, will probably be cool, but I don't feel motivated enough to bother with regular Sport races. I don't care for the oval track, which means I basically have two races to choose from, which get old pretty quickly. Seems silly to give only 3 races each week that just repeat over and over every 20 minutes/1 hour.

Overall, I'm pretty down on this version of GT. I think it deserves the review scores it has gotten but for my play style, this game just doesn't fit me too well. I miss the old campaign style with the multitude of series for all manner of cars, from slow to fast.

I can appreciate that, it just needs a bit of meat on dem bones, I'm sure that some motivation will come once the leagues and competitions get going,its a shame that they aren't running from day one.

A02jcy3.gif

03sho

I did most of the driving school in the beta and when I stated the full game it asked me if I wanted to carry over progress I selected yes but why do I now have to redo the driving school levels I completed in the beta?????

bombshell

I did most of the driving school in the beta and when I stated the full game it asked me if I wanted to carry over progress I selected yes but why do I now have to redo the driving school levels I completed in the beta?????

It also said on the same screen that what carried over was credits (up to 1 million), cars (up to 8) and mileage points. Campaign progress was not announced as something that would carry over.

Hey fellas, regarding the first tournament, the one that starts 11/03. Do you have any idea how it works?

I think it's 5 or 6 races, I recall seeing that after I checked in. My question is, it'll be a one day thing? because 3 it's friday and I'll be at work at the scheduled hours... :/

At least there's another tournament on saturday so, I'll be on that one for sure.

Most of the driving school wasn't available in the beta. Think of it as a way to make money, mileage and unlock more cars through the same methods. It's a bonus.

Loudninja

The following problems are reported in "Gran Turismo SPORT".

Fixed in the next update

■ Controller · Usability
- In the steering controller THRUSTMASTER® T 500 RS, the excessive vibration that occurred when the steering wheel was largely cut (under steering) was corrected.

- Increased steering speed in the wireless controller (DUALSHOCK® 4), improved control during drift during oversteering.
Corresponding problem

■ Save
- When saving is executed by pressing the save button, communication with the server may fail.
After launching the game, it will be improved if you save after playing about 15 minutes.

■ The game stops when repeatedly deleting mail addresses
- If you repeat "Delete mail address" with "Mail address" of "Option", the game stops.

■ Game stops when drift trial is done with custom color chip setting car
- If you edit the exterior with the reverie editor and participate in the drift trial with the car which set the custom color chip, the game stops after the result indication.

■ Steering controller
- H pattern shifter THRUSTMASTER® TH8A is not recognized when connected to the steering controller. Please connect USB directly to PlayStation® 4 before fixing problems that are nearly done.

These defects will be fixed in a future update.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/gtsport/news/00_1887594.html

Hawk269

So I've put in a couple-to-a-few hours into GTS and I can certainly understand the negative opinions of some out there. My impression of the game is definitely good, there's so much to like. Driving feels great (on the controller, anyway), I appreciate the faster load times throughout (compared to previous GT games), presentation is off the charts, and the game looks gorgeous in 4K/HDR.

However, I'm already finding it hard to be motivated to continue playing. I'm the kind of person that plays towards an overall goal, so I'm not big on simple arcade races or time trials. At this point, when I boot up the game, I feel like my options are "tutorial or wait for an online race?" Any mode in the campaign feels like just another tutorial and after completing quite a few of them, I think I'm over it. The only reason to complete them is for the prize car, which feels like a waste of time because what exactly am I using the prize car for? I'm not needing them to complete a series, I'm not given any reason to drive them unless I just want to. It's kind of weird to say that I liked it better when I was forced to drive cars for series races that I otherwise wouldn't, but that's what I've found.

As for the online, I've also been disappointed in the Sport mode because as of right now, I'm not quite sure what I'm racing for. The leagues, when they start, will probably be cool, but I don't feel motivated enough to bother with regular Sport races. I don't care for the oval track, which means I basically have two races to choose from, which get old pretty quickly. Seems silly to give only 3 races each week that just repeat over and over every 20 minutes/1 hour.

Overall, I'm pretty down on this version of GT. I think it deserves the review scores it has gotten but for my play style, this game just doesn't fit me too well. I miss the old campaign style with the multitude of series for all manner of cars, from slow to fast.

That is one of my issues. I don't have a lot of time to play and when I do, I do not like that I am limited to a certain block of time and on a locked in Course. I wish there was a traditional MP mode separate from Sport where you can just hop into any MP race, vote for a track and have at it. I get what they are doing with Sport and I think in the long run it will be great for competitive on-line racing, but not having a separate mode for those that just want to turn on their system and play on-line without having to wait is something that I hope they consider.

darkwing

That is one of my issues. I don't have a lot of time to play and when I do, I do not like that I am limited to a certain block of time and on a locked in Course. I wish there was a traditional MP mode separate from Sport where you can just hop into any MP race, vote for a track and have at it. I get what they are doing with Sport and I think in the long run it will be great for competitive on-line racing, but not having a separate mode for those that just want to turn on their system and play on-line without having to wait is something that I hope they consider.
Don't they have lobbies for that?

Hawk269

Don't they have lobbies for that?

I don't know. Right now from what I can tell about racing on-line it is is the Sport tab and there are set races at certain times and certain tracks. I did not see a generic on-line MP mode where you can jump in, pick whatever class car, whatever track and go at it. Unless I am missing an option of course. I spent most of my 5 hours doing the tests and arcade mode and did 2 online races.

I picked this up from Redbox last night just to try out the VR mode since it wasn't in the demo and I can't buy it right now. I was really impressed with it, the fidelity was fantastic on PS4 Pro. I do wish I could run time trial mode in VR since there are no other cars on the track,it's weird they don't allow that. My hope is that the VR mode is minimal because they put priority on the rest of the game and that they improve it and add more functionality post-release. An online VR mode with just 4-6 other cars would be amazing. Dirt Rally spoiled me by being able to play the entire game in VR.

I don't know. Right now from what I can tell about racing on-line it is is the Sport tab and there are set races at certain times and certain tracks. I did not see a generic on-line MP mode where you can jump in, pick whatever class car, whatever track and go at it. Unless I am missing an option of course. I spent most of my 5 hours doing the tests and arcade mode and did 2 online races.

There are lobbies, but I honestly have no idea what's in it.

bombshell

I think I saw the info somewhere in the game, will check later where exactly

I think it was in the pop up when first entering Sport mode. It said they update on Tuesdays, but I thought it was referencing something else. They can't call them daily races and then update them weekly surely...

Oh but there is, you have lobbies on the right side of the menu. You can pretty much make whatever type of race you want or join others, lot's of filters too.

Peterthumpa

■ Save
- When saving is executed by pressing the save button, communication with the server may fail.
After launching the game, it will be improved if you save after playing about 15 minutes.
lol, will need to ask Google to "remind me to save in 15 minutes".

GHG

Gold Member

There are lobbies where you can join randoms and just hop into racing.

bombshell

Lobby mode, it's another button on the top bar in the main menu.

Tfault

I think I saw the info somewhere in the game, will check later where exactly

It's Daillies, how did that start became Weeklies?

Is this something that's confirmed, or from a rumor somewhere?

Its on the Gran-turismo.com

Daily Races will be hosted every day in Gran Turismo Sport starting Tuesday October 17.
New races will be opened every 20 minutes in the order of A, B, C, A… and so on, and the race event content will be updated every Tuesday.

Top Bottom