• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo SPORT | OT | Putting it all on the line

giphy.gif
Love the Road Runner meep meeps there ;p

thx a lot, will try later.

Np. Be prepared to repeat and rage. You really have to be perfect the entire 15 minutes. Luckily it goes quick. When you are in first, be sure to have a driving view with a rear view mirror, i.e. cockpit or bumper. You need to get pretty grimy with the blocking.

Flipside

What's the deal with the pre-order cars and the LE/CE cars by the way? Are they really exclusive to those versions/retailers or are they merely unlocked from the beginning and obtainable in all the versions?

The greatest first turn fuckery of all time was Grand Prix Legends Monza online. The amount of blood shed in that first corner could fill an ocean. Ahhh GPL days. What a game. It was what introduced me to the Green Hell.

Haha yeah. Those cars gave zero fucks for any lapse in judgment, but god I loved that game. It's why it's hard for me to get inspired by the engine sounds of most modern racing games; the cars in GPL sounded like ravenous banshees.

--
My god this Civic is a piece of junk. Sounds like a dying cow and maneuvers only slightly better.

MGR

Does the real civic type R really handle so badly and have such a lot of suspension softness? I can't believe it.

Getting on the gas immediately generates understeer, pretty much, and it sways like a boat fore and aft, throttle vs brake.

If you are a little too fast entering a corner: toast because braking adds a lot of understeer. If you are a tad fast at an apex using any throttle at all will throw you off track as well.

Real Civic type R is praised for having minimal torque steer, adjustability, and a track oriented suspension. But the GT:S version is a terrible advert.

It's a fundamental flaw in the physics engine and it effects every car in the game, but most noticeable on FWD cars making them a chore to drive. Softer tyres will make it feel more tolerable but there's nothing you can do about it.

I believe it has something to do with how they’re calculating tyre grip based on weight transfer. It's far too exaggerated and is the reason why FWD (and most 4WD) cars plough understeer the moment you touch the throttle, and the same reason RWD cars go from 'grip-grip-grip' to 'holy-fucking-shit' snap oversteer in an instant.

Haha yeah. Those cars gave zero fucks for any lapse in judgment, but god I loved that game. It's why it's hard for me to get inspired by most modern racing games; the cars in GPL sounded like ravenous banshees.

--
My god this Civic is a piece of junk. Sounds like a dying cow and maneuvers only slightly better.

It's not so bad. It is a perfect bait car for noobs. Set brake bias toward the rear, use a little TBO and own fools.

commedieu

Banned
Fun game. Shitty car list. I don't know what it is, but the driving is so.. pleasurable. I didn't even notice you couldn't mod cars till last night after I tried to play exhausted and drunk. There seems to be very good balance with the matchmaking daily events. In usually a time trial driver myself. Looking forward to this corvette contract thing next month.

I take it im not going to unlock cars, and it is what it is? Feels so weird. Been playing since gt1. The sounds are great, the driving is superb even with the controller. It's challenging and feels so good when you're just coasting on the edge of traction and hitting your lines. Turning off tc is night and day. Seconds just peel off.

I hope the car packs are free, though. I was all excited that I had 300k. But really, the game provides you with all the cars you'd need. It seems...I feel like there's no point to the money anymore.

KdotIX

Shout out to Niks and JamboGT for keeping the leaderboards honest for the campaign stuff. Been fun having a bench mark to go for.

Putty has been up there too, so shout out to him also - really good benchmark for me. We really need to throw our PSN usernames into that Google Spreadsheet - quite sure that the majority of Gaf has some very respectable times.

Yep. Should have called them weekly or hourly, there's literally nothing happening daily.

Again it's fine having them last a week, but there should be way more events.
The day I'll find fucking Northern Isle+Tokyo with LMP1+karts I'll lose my shit.

Deleted, probably wait for a proper topic.

Set it up

Tokyo Expressway

10 Lap Race.

Karts only.

Race order based on qualification time

Room ID: 0474-6201-7144-9779-0020

I set penalties for wall collisions and touching others to high as I think that will be the only thing to determine the race, outside of qualification time.

offshore

Haven't bothered buying GT this time, but I'm glad it's seemingly turned out better than I expected. I've just been watching a video of the livery editor, and I have to say I wasn't expecting to ever get tyre stickers in a GT game... and yet here we are. Even the sound is vastly improved. Just a shame that PD's penchant for making baffling design decisions it still there. After the problems everyone had with GT5, when that game frequently connected to the net, it's weird why they've gone even further and linked virtually everything to the net.

Hope they bring back Daytona and NASCAR in the future; those were the best online races I ever had in GT5.

Razgreez

Putty has been up there too, so shout out to him also - really good benchmark for me. We really need to throw our PSN usernames into that Google Spreadsheet - quite sure that the majority of Gaf has some very respectable times.

Respectable? That's not how you spell embarrassing (in my case) :D

Not even started sport mode yet. Trying to complete the campaign first

Loudninja

Issues Planned to Be Fixed with the Next Update

■ Controller・Usability
- An issue wherein there's excessive force feedback strength when using the Thrustmaster T500RS steering controller causing understeering;
- An issue wherein the steering speed sensitivity when using a standard DUALSHOCK®4 is not high enough, making it hard to handle cars while oversteering and drifting.
http://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/news/00_1887594.html

Wait, huh? There's rain in challenge 5-2. Like RAIN rain, falling from the sky! How is this not implemented anywhere else? It's obviously there there and not just we're assuming it's there.

I have no idea how I'm ever going to even get one win/pole/fastest lap, lol. Even if I deliberately tanked myself back to E all it would take is one unlucky match with someone better than me in the one race I'd have to do well before being promoted again. Blew my chance here by getting a few wins in the open beta and despite DR carrying over it didn't keep track of race stats. I ended up mid-B in the closed beta, so away from the majority but too slow to be competitive among anyone who actually know what they're doing.

ty_hot

Wait, huh? There's rain in challenge 5-2. Like RAIN rain, falling from the sky! How is this not implemented anywhere else? It's obviously there there and not just we're assuming it's there.

I have no idea how I'm ever going to even get one win/pole/fastest lap, lol. Even if I deliberately tanked myself back to E all it would take is one unlucky match with someone better than me in the one race I'd have to do well before being promoted again. Blew my chance here by getting a few wins in the open beta and despite DR carrying over it didn't keep track of race stats. I ended up mid-B in the closed beta, so away from the majority but too slow to be competitive among anyone who actually know what they're doing.

The oval is probably your best bet at winning. It's basically a luck thing mostly. :p

KdotIX

Respectable? That's not how you spell embarrassing (in my case) :D

Not even started sport mode yet. Trying to complete the campaign first

I've done a few in Sport mode and gone as far as setting a representative lap time on the Northern Isle Speedway, but not really into the tracks they have up at the moment. So I've been meddling with the SP stuff and trying to get good with the Livery Editor. I kinda wish they had put up Lake Maggiore or Dragon Trail for Gr.3 instead of the oval. Hell, even BB Raceway would have been good enough.

Azzawon

We made it boys and girls. Quote this post if you want your PSN in the OT for GAF GT Racing

Count me in for this. PSN is ARusling

Edit to save double posting: Received my T300RS last night and after an hour or so really got to grips with the handling. For some reason, the steering motion seems so much smoother than on my TX.

And I also hate to admit it being a massive Forza fan, but GT Sport pisses all over Forza 7 in terms of feel for the road and general driving enjoyment IMO. I'm hooked.

JJShadow

What's your best time at Brands Hatch, GAF? (using the Civic). I managed to get a 58.4 yesterday (using automatic transmission) but I've seen people in the high 57s

onanie

I've done a few in Sport mode and gone as far as setting a representative lap time on the Northern Isle Speedway, but not really into the tracks they have up at the moment. So I've been meddling with the SP stuff and trying to get good with the Livery Editor. I kinda wish they had put up Lake Maggiore or Dragon Trail for Gr.3 instead of the oval. Hell, even BB Raceway would have been good enough.

I think the online lobbies are also a good intermission until they have a nice daily in sport mode (sometime next week LOL)

If you leave the inside wide open like that, sure ill take it :D

Couldnt catch the Canadians though

FlatAnxiousFlyinglemur-max-14mb.gif

https://youtu.be/LRUlQEBkODk

must be the maple syrup they drink every day

mcfizzle4

What's your best time at Brands Hatch, GAF? (using the Civic). I managed to get a 58.4 yesterday (using automatic transmission) but I've seen people in the high 57s
I qualified at 57.643. I ran one race and thought maybe I'd have a chance at my first pole. Nope, four of the top six in my heat were in the Top 10 Stars leaderboard.

FeD.nL

I wish Sazuka lasted 10 laps longer, because goddamn at the feeling of navigating through the S’s and positioning yourself for a double overtake on the straight.

I really wish dailies are really dailies but I’m hooked nonetheless.

I'm in SR C rank and just had a race on Suzuka with two E's in there. That's bullshit, you should never be in a race with SRs two ranks below. And they were acting like E's too, trying to ram people off the road. I finally got tired of the shit of the AMG who was plowing into me and "accidentally" bumped him off the track on the first turn. I thought I was getting a demotion for sure, but ended up somehow with a blue SR. The GT gods smiled upon me.

Somehow despite all that chaos I went from 14th to 6th, so I'll take that as a good sign to stop for the day.

I just want some clean races, I'm tired of this bumper car shit.

People shouldn't overlook the "custom race" in the arcade section.

You can set all the rules and regulations of the race, and that will adjust the credits/exp you get. Which place you start from, fuel, tyre, restrictions on cars, different levels of penalties, etc. It probably helps explain some of the online rules too if you check out the descriptions.

I didn't complete the race below because that would be crazy but it shows the extremes you can set up and the credits it's worth.

I8cWhqB.jpg

S5ecGWv.jpg

On screen before and after the race, there is a quick menu which allows you to change your car for the race, some of the penalties, and the time of day.

You can also change the course from this menu, meaning you can keep changing the location and race under similar conditions for eternity, each race accumulating more credits and experience.

It's not a replacement for a career mode, but it can replicate damn close what you would expect from a "typical" GT (never the most inventive career modes).

It's a shame you can't quick change number of laps/difficulty level in the quick menu, or save your custom race options (which you can do in lobby mode).

danowat

Banned
57.8, I reckon close to 56 is possible with a bit of time and effort.

Seems like i am the only one who doesn't mind the civic, it feels fine to me!

bombshell

Duplicate gift cars are fine with me if they would just enable selling of gift cars. Right now you can only sell bought cars for credits, gift cars can only be deleted with no credits in return.

KdotIX

You can set all the rules and regulations of the race, and that will adjust the credits/exp you get. Which place you start from, fuel, tyre, restrictions on cars, different levels of penalties, etc. It probably helps explain some of the online rules too if you check out the descriptions.

I didn't complete the race below because that would be crazy but it shows the extremes you can set up and the credits it's worth.

I8cWhqB.jpg

S5ecGWv.jpg

On screen before and after the race, there is a quick menu which allows you to change your car for the race, some of the penalties, and the time of day.

You can also change the course from this menu, meaning you can keep changing the location and race under similar conditions for eternity, each race accumulating more credits and experience.

It's not a replacement for a career mode, but it can replicate damn close what you would expect from a "typical" GT (never the most inventive career modes).

It's a shame you can't quick change number of laps/difficulty level in the quick menu, or save your custom race options (which you can do in lobby mode).

Would absolutely love to do a 24hr race when they bring in mid-game saves. Or even do some online if they patch in driver swaps.

I8cWhqB.jpg

S5ecGWv.jpg

Yup did the 1 hr Maggiore endurance run as soon as I finished its circuit experience, imo best way to complement and apply what you learned.

Duplicate gift cars are fine with me if they would just enable selling of gift cars. Right now you can only sell bought cars for credits, gift cars can only be deleted with no credits in return.

Yeah, agreed. I just realized I got a double for my daily today as well. At least selling it credits would ease some of the disappointment.

--
How many actual hours is the 24 hour race? I'd assume it's pretty limited so people don't get blood clots or heart attacks.

emjot

I just had a LaFerrari, a Viper GT3 and some LMS prototype in my daily workout prize car pot and what I get? A fucking Mito. /killme

Are you guys using manual transmission and no TC?

I'm at 57.2 with controller and TC 0. But also no chance for pole or even daring an attack at top3 in race.

NHale

Posting again for a new page (and too damm active thread..:p)

Damm game is becoming digital crack, that next *fix* is constantly needed!

https://youtu.be/XMQZYBHeU2k

I was sceptical of them actually managing to emulate what iRacing does best and bring it to the consoles because PD seemed the wrong developer to do it right, but they actually did it. Surprising considering Polyphony Digital was always behind everyone else in regards to trying to implement new ideas, and now they are at the vanguard on the console space.

The online experience is by far the best racing experience ever on consoles. They actually managed to decrease the amount of punting and ramming on track just by having a fucking letter after your PSN ID. I had a race around Brands Hatch yesterday where I started 6th (middle of the pack is always a guaranteed wreck at turn 1 in other racing games) finished 3rd, overtook 5 cars and was overtaken 2 times and finished with a clean race medal. Never touched for the entire 4 laps which is incredible. What a marvellous experience, you can put the AI in the bin if I can just race like this forever. The oval race is a mess because pack racing is almost impossible to be clean especially when you are lapping cars without blue flags (they need to implement that) but I can still gain SR on that if I start on the first 3/4 cars.

On the other hand, they really need to keep looking at iRacing and create a larger rotation of daily races (and actually rotate them daily) and actually have 1 endurance race in there. Imho they should have at least 5 events on all the time, 3 should be shorter like the ones, one should be medium duration with tyre wear and one should be endurance racing (~45min) with everything turned on.

KdotIX

Yeah, agreed. I just realized I got a double for my daily today as well. At least selling it credits would ease some of the disappointment.

--
How many actual hours is the 24 hour race? I'd assume it's pretty limited so people don't get blood clots or heart attacks.

24 actual hours!

Mid-game saves?! Why not re-live the 24 hour Nordschleife race on GT4 and leave the game paused overnight? :p

You know, I never actually did that for fear of my PS2 exploding in the middle of the night. Looking back now, those things were solid.

Can anyone explain what the rhythmic thumping is while driving on Tokyo Expressway?

Ridges in the road I assume.

Top Bottom