• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo SPORT | OT | Putting it all on the line

The1Ski

Are dailies daily yet?

I heard they took the severs offline last night.

I'd say this is the biggest reason I haven't purchased yet.

They need to either have new races change each day or add several more races that also mix up the duration.

Another poster mentioned the ridiculousness of expecting people to settle into a rhythm when the races last 10-15. Throw some 30-60 minute races in there so everyone can settle in and get past the initial jockeying for position.

Make sport mode events that require calculated pit stops! How is this not a part of sport mode right off the bat!

I would love nothing more than to get home from work, put the wife and kid to bed, throw in a dip, and do 40 laps on an enjoyable track with a car I like and 20 other drivers.

And no, I'm not going to set that up in the lobby where maybe 4 people join and leave.

Azzawon

Feels good to gold almost every sector of the Nordschleife circuit experience with more than a second to spare. Not sure if they were too forgiving because while I know it very well I'm no alien.

Same here. The Nordschleife 1-Lap Attack was surprisingly easy too. Was far too cautious in the final 1/3 of the lap and still beat gold by 5 seconds on my first attempt.

mojo2

Neo Member
I'd say this is the biggest reason I haven't purchased yet.

They need to either have new races change each day or add several more races that also mix up the duration.

Another poster mentioned the ridiculousness of expecting people to settle into a rhythm when the races last 10-15. Throw some 30-60 minute races in there so everyone can settle in and get past the initial jockeying for position.

Make sport mode events that require calculated pit stops! How is this not a part of sport mode right off the bat!

I would love nothing more than to get home from work, put the wife and kid to bed, throw in a dip, and do 40 laps on an enjoyable track with a car I like and 20 other drivers.

And no, I'm not going to set that up in the lobby where maybe 4 people join and leave.

My guess is they're holding our hand, the tracks will get bigger and races longer later on. But at this weekly refresh rate, it's going to take forever! I say refresh "dailies" every second day and get rid of the oval and replace it with regular track with 20-50 laps.

GjFLOif.gif

plidex

EDIT: God damn, that looks awesome.

Same here. The Nordschleife 1-Lap Attack was surprisingly easy too. Was far too cautious in the final 1/3 of the lap and still beat gold by 5 seconds on my first attempt.

Yeah because of the sectors being so easy I guessed I could be conservative on the full lap to avoid making a mistake and having to do it again, I ended up beating it by 4 seconds.

It also paid a lot of money, like 40k for each sector, there were like 11 sectors, and I don't remember the payout for the full lap.

PS: I'm tired of getting vision cars for gifts, I really dislike them. I wish they spend that resources in making more "real" cars, but I understand the importance for the franchise to have that relationships with the manufacturers.

NHale

And this would also improve the driving experience a lot because people are already inclined to try to race cleanly but then you say to them "this is a sprint race that takes 5 minutes, no time to waste chump". It's bonkers.

I understand there is a need for sprint races in there because some people might just have 15-20 minutes to play, but a longer race allows for much cleaner racing because if it takes 45 minutes and you are 7th and quicker than the person ahead, you can just wait for the race to come to you and wait for the perfect opportunity or a mistake if you put them under pressure. In a 5 minute race, the perfect opportunity will never arrive and you have to make moves since lap 1 which leads to reckless overtakes, punts and divebombs.

It's like they copy pasted iRacing and forgot to check the schedule and race settings. Also bring the concept of seasons to dailies ffs.

Feels good to gold almost every sector of the Nordschleife circuit experience with more than a second to spare. Not sure if they were too forgiving because while I know it very well I’m no alien.

I've done most of the tracks so far (although i'm saving the Nordschleife for last) and they do give you a decent cushion in general. Mount Panorama and Horse Tooth Mile are the only two i've really struggled on. I'm pretty terrible at MP, so that took me nearly an hour to complete all the sector and the eventual lap.

plidex

And this would also improve the driving experience a lot because people are already inclined to try to race cleanly but then you say to them "this is a sprint race that takes 5 minutes, no time to waste chump". It's bonkers.

I understand there is a need for sprint races in there because some people might just have 15-20 minutes to play, but a longer race allows for much cleaner racing because if it takes 45 minutes and you are 7th and quicker than the person ahead, you can just wait for the race to come to you and wait for the perfect opportunity or a mistake if you put them under pressure. In a 5 minute race, the perfect opportunity will never arrive and you have to make moves since lap 1 which leads to reckless overtakes, punts and divebombs.

It's like they copy pasted iRacing and forgot to check the schedule and race settings. Also bring the concept of seasons to dailies ffs.

For most GTS players I would say 60 minutes is crazy, 45 minutes is also way too much. It would be nice to have another category for endurance though.

iRacing has short races, but they are around 20 minutes. I believe 15 minute races could provide a nice balance for GTS.

Another bad aspect of having 5 minutes races is that you end up waiting the same time you spent racing. It's a bad ratio.

I've done most of the tracks so far (although i'm saving the Nordschleife for last) and they do give you a decent cushion in general. Mount Panorama and Horse Tooth Mile are the only two i've really struggled on. I'm pretty terrible at MP, so that took me nearly an hour to complete all the sector and the eventual lap.

That's good to hear, I'll go into the other circuits then.

I did have a little hope that beating the circuit experience would instantly unlock the track in arcade mode. Oh well, only 4 more leves to go I think.

Feels good to gold almost every sector of the Nordschleife circuit experience with more than a second to spare. Not sure if they were too forgiving because while I know it very well I’m no alien.

Its easier this time around. On GT5 Nurburg special, especially with that old Merc, you'd dance if you got bronze after 50 disqualifies.

The1Ski

It's like they copy pasted iRacing and forgot to check the schedule and race settings. Also bring the concept of seasons to dailies ffs

Each week could be a season. Track total points, average points per race, top times, all that stuff and have THAT refresh every Tuesday.

Have 6+ events with more variety if they want to reset races once a week.

Servbot24

Banned
Still can't get in. Do I have to restart the game and forfeit my progress? Tbh I'm on the verge of trying to get a refund for this game.

IISANDERII

Can understand peoples' frustrations regarding the lack of updates to the Sport races, but personally hoping that they're just working on ensuring things stay stable for a few days before starting to mix things up a bit. I'm sure they will, there's plenty of car/track combinations to get through.

Also the fact that the tracks have been relatively short ones for the first few days could be a good way of sorting out the SR. I've avoided the oval purely as an exercise to ensure my SR stays good. The players who aren't bothered about racing cleanly are going to enter the oval race and that's a good way to weed them out, as it were.
Spot on, I think this is exactly what they’re doing: Using this time as basically placement races like placement matches in Overwatch.

Keeping things the same gives more time for people to learn the tracks and avoid accidents and raising their SR back up and also land a more accurate DR.

And so once this placement time is over, daily races will become daily lol

VR really highlights how the VGT cars haven't been designed for racing. Switching from Porsche 919 to the McLaren VGT is stark. The 919 has perfect positional awareness, you don't even need to move your head to know where the other cars are, even there is only one other on track you can see everything (this is the same for all the real Gr1 cars), then you jump in the McLaren and even though the positioning is interesting and fun as being that far forward in a car feels great but there is no race awareness in it at all. You would think with the conceptual aspect they would think how to use technology to bring full track awareness not reduce it.

kriskrosbbk

I saw someone said that garage cars are available under Sport mode. I am not sure this is correct though. I have the GT-R Gr4. and it is also available in the Sport Gr4 race however not the same livery as mine so I guess this is not mine GT-R? I am confused ok.

bombshell

I saw someone said that garage cars are available under Sport mode. I am not sure this is correct though. I have the GT-R Gr4. and it is also available in the Sport Gr4 race however not the same livery as mine so I guess this is not mine GT-R? I am confused ok.

Sport mode races can either say "Specially provided cars" or "Garage cars". The former is where you can't use your own cars. I believe all 3 right now are with provided cars, but in the demo there were some with garage cars.

kriskrosbbk

Sport mode races can either say "Specially provided cars" or "Garage cars". The former is where you can't use your own cars. I believe all 3 right now are with provided cars, but in the demo there were some with garage cars.

Now that's clear. This is what I also know. Thanks for confirming.

cakely

Depends on the race. There's a setting.

The Brands Hatch 300 race let you use garage cars until yesterday, then they switched the race over to use only the Civic.

Well, since you haven't golded it, you have no idea what you're talking about really.

Playing the Sport event in the oval I get half second faster while racing compared to when I qualify. And I have a very good qualifying time (0.150-0.200 above the fastest). Maybe the event you are talking about doesn't include slipstream (when you create a custom race you can have it set to real, strong, weak).

Jesus christ, watch an actual oval race for once. I am not talking about just slip streaming. A basic draft/slipstream model is not the same as proper pack drafting one. For fucks sake, learn about, literally the most basic shit before jumping in here with nonsense. Guess GTS should have added a few more videos.

Here, I will do it for you.
https://youtu.be/13PlkHbj3SM?t=161
This is also the entire concept of the peloton in cycling.

Fuck off with this GT fan boy shit, where you literally can't deal with the most basic criticism. You have no idea what you are talking about and the aero/slipstream model is very basic in GTS. I am sorry that a concept that even Joe Redneck on 15 bud lights can figure out every Sunday eludes you. I don't mean to be a dick, but my hand has been forced with people still talking out their ass.

Pausing this, can't do better than 4th. Does not make a difference to me if I go Soft/Medium or Hard/no change, I end up 5sec behind and can't connect to the pack in front of me. It would be perfect GT if there was only a single car you'd have to own to beat this, but right now I'm too stingy to spend 450k on the Subaru.
Tried with the Audi R8 and Hurracan, I just don't have the topspeed - which would suck cause you can't change the setup - or the race is seriously gimped. There is only one faster car available (Viper, topspeed index 7.3) and one better at cornering (Subaru), but none beats the combination of topspeed and cornering of the Audi. So in theory the Audi should be the top choice, but I got zero chance right now. Blame it on my oval skills though.

It isn't your top speed from power or tuning, it is because of your corner exit, which is where the car selection and tire selection is crucial. The WRX gets the power down incredibly well on the oval track. This is where you reap the benefits of the softer tires. Trust me, I did that god damn race so man times yesterday, trying several different cars. I am sure for people who can nail flawless laps, the car selection isn't as important, but the second I switches to the WRX I tore through the pack like I never did before.

Wanted to do some actual single player races, decided to check out arcade mode. Half the tracks locked behind your level.

It's like PD is intentionally going for the video game equivalent of a Razzie award...

Looks more real than real life.
Honestly, that's one of the only tells left on whether is from this game. Depending on the clip you could 100% convince me some of this footage was real life, though. In this case it's the headlamps that look a little too perfect.
VR really highlights how the VGT cars haven't been designed for racing. Switching from Porsche 919 to the McLaren VGT is stark. The 919 has perfect positional awareness, you don't even need to move your head to know where the other cars are though there is only one other on track you can see everything (this is the same for all the real Gr1 cars), then you jump in the McLaren and even though the positioning is interesting and fun as being that far forward in a car feels great but there is no race awareness in it at all. You would think with the conceptual aspect they would think how to use technology to bring full track awareness not reduce it.
The McLaren VGT is exceptionally weird because it has no mirrors. Why? I have noooo idea. The other silly cars all have mirrors or cameras. Other than that I actually like the super forward resting position. There's a huge difference between the GT5/6 era VGT cars and the new ones, too, both in detail level and accessibility. Ironically, the cars with the lowest detail in this game are the concept ones from last generation where people (rightfully) complained about inequality in cars.

Just checking out the lobby mode, and you can switch in/switch out different race configurations without leaving the lobby. ("load settings" on the left)

Also you can set grid positions based on previous race, I couldn't test it out but I assume that works even if you switch tracks.

2RL0hUl.jpg

So you can create a huge variety of race types and link them as a multi-race tournament in the lobby.

Yet Polyphony don't have any examples for launch day.

Apeboy

90s sounding butt rock.

snort

I know you can go into the music library and highlight songs, it may just play the songs you highlight on the soundtrack but haven’t tried it yet. There’s only a couple of songs that I’d get rid of. Most of it is excellent.

mcfizzle4

Jesus christ, watch an actual oval race for once. I am not talking about just slip streaming. A basic draft/slipstream model is not the same as proper pack drafting one. For fucks sake, learn about, literally the most basic shit before jumping in here with nonsense. Guess GTS should have added a few more videos.

Here, I will do it for you.
https://youtu.be/13PlkHbj3SM?t=161
This is also the entire concept of the peloton in cycling.

Fuck off with this GT fan boy shit, where you literally can't deal with the most basic criticism. You have no idea what you are talking about and the aero/slipstream model is very basic in GTS. I am sorry that a concept that even Joe Redneck on 15 bud lights can figure out every Sunday eludes you. I don't mean to be a dick, but my hand has been forced with people still talking out their ass.

It isn't your top speed from power or tuning, it is because of your corner exit, which is where the car selection and tire selection is crucial. The WRX gets the power down incredibly well on the oval track. This is where you reap the benefits of the softer tires. Trust me, I did that god damn race so man times yesterday, trying several different cars. I am sure for people who can nail flawless laps, the car selection isn't as important, but the second I switches to the WRX I tore through the pack like I never did before.
Pretty sure we raced together in the Civic race yesterday or today. But dude, chill out.

The McLaren VGT is exceptionally weird because it has no mirrors. Why? I have noooo idea. The other silly cars all have mirrors or cameras. Other than that I actually like the super forward resting position. There's a huge difference between the GT5/6 era VGT cars and the new ones, too, both in detail level and accessibility. Ironically, the cars with the lowest detail in this game are the concept ones from last generation where people (rightfully) complained about inequality in cars.

As X class cars I'd be fine with this but as quite a few are Gr1 cars they are going to be a bit of an issue in sport mode. Even though you don't have the same awareness on screen as you do in VR they are still limited in this regard.

emjot

I got it, eventually I will buy the got damn thing if it's the only way. I just need a break from this bullshit and will try to gold the other 2 I'm still missing first. They're just as much bullshit to me, atleast the Nürb race seems possible. Finished 4th in my first try with the Audi only because I tried to brute force my way to 1st on the last corner. But the penalties fucked me over, seem to be extra harsh on this one.

GHG

Gold Member
My sport mode stats make for decent reading so far.

27 races
8 victories
8 poles
6 fastest laps

Not bad, not bad.

kriskrosbbk

Folks help. I have an event to use the fuel map.But after quite some time with the demo and the full game I am still not sure what is this and how to access it? It says the directional buttons but there I have the TCS,brakes,map,radar but nothing like fuel map.

Edit: come on it was there the whole time. So it is one to six power to lean. I guess more Power more consumption?

bombshell

Folks help. I have an event to use the fuel map.But after quite some time with the demo and the full game I am still not sure what is this and how to access it? It says the directional buttons but there I have the TCS,brakes,map,radar but nothing like fuel map.

Edit: come on it was there the whole time. So it is one to six power to lean. I guess more Power more consumption?

Correct. When you switch between them it will take some hundred metres before it has recalculated your possible race distance on the new power/lean level.

Top Bottom