• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

MaDKaT

Ya and FF developers consider MMO FF games main FF games. What difference does that make? It's still a different game with different focus. Also Kaz would be too stupid to not call this game GT7 when that name would probably sell way more copies than GTS name if he consider them the same, what kaz meant is this game is not not a prologue but a full GT game and the word sport means it focus or Sport mode.

Ok, regardless, it is the mainline next game and not a spinoff.

I haven't followed this games development that closely, so I just searched 'is GTS GT7 Kaz' and this is the first thing that popped up.

http://www.motorworldhype.com/2016/...-and-no-according-to-kazunori-yamauchi-video/

It's the first question he answers.

... and then there's a whole lot of extra nuance to the answer to the question where he goes on to explain that it's a "new era"/"new beginning" for Gran Turismo and literally separates 1-6 from it.

Huh.

So maybe we can't take that as literal? Same as how Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker was initially touted as Metal Gear Solid 5, and yet...

farisr

An infinite number of dumb analogies won't change a thing.

It's still a sequel within the same franchise, not a spin-off. It just has a different focus, and the Sport part doesn't say anything specific about the game. At best, it just implies it's different.
and they key point is, the Sport name does not protect it from getting compared to other games in the genre it belongs to.

What are some other service platform gamed that came out in a barebones state and what kind of reviews did they get?

Destiny. Diablo3

Both also good examples of critical failures with no love from professional game reviewers. But went on to gain enormous fanbases.

Now I understood... you have no ideia what (and maybe never played) GTS is.
Been playing GTS every day and he's right. The difference between Forza Motorsport and Horizon is in no way analogous to the difference between GTS and previous GTs. Thats one hell of a stretch.

ethomaz

Banned
An infinite number of dumb analogies won't change a thing.

It's still a sequel within the same franchise, not a spin-off. It just has a different focus, and the Sport part doesn't say anything specific about the game. At best, it just implies it's different.
Sport says everything.., the game was created around the Sport mode that is basically the main focus of the game.

It says everything about the game and it most important part.

Kashiwaba

I'm looking at it as its own game, the online doesn't hook me and the SP is not satisfying with what they've put in the game (from what I played in the beta, all of which I got gold in except for the rally events). I can also choose to compare it to other games in the same genre.

Fact of the matter is, this game would be a lot more appealing to me if it offered a career mode and progression of the past, without it, and the online mode not getting its hooks in me, this game to me is something with terrific gameplay wrapped in a poor content offering. Much like Street Fighter V was at launch.

I compare other sim-racers to previous GT games as well, it isn't exclusive to GT Sport.

Then don't play the game? The game is mp focused and obviously you don't care about that, I skipped FF14 because i don't want to play MMOrpg should i go and complain in every FF thread about FF14 not being for me?

Crayon

I don't know if the baggage/expectations theory holds up. The lack of modes and tracks and stuff is more than enough to explain the scores.

Newk86

That exactly why the game started a new name... Gran Turismo Sport.

It is like people expecting a platform game from Mario Kart lol

I think it's more like the next Mario Kart releasing as Mario Kart: Sport, with barely any offline content whatsoever, and a focus on online instead. You can say, "but look at the online", but personally I expect a jump in online features/content for most games each iteration and each generation even more so.

I think it is a bit of a indictment that PD had to drop so much other stuff to just be able to achieve what they have with the online component as it stands. Being one of the flagship titles for Sony I think people are entitled to maybe expect a bit more.

I'm mostly disappointed by the VR implementation though and the lack of options. It's like why go to the effort at all and then stop just short of adding enough to make the most of it.

Crayon

Destiny. Diablo3

Both also good examples of critical failures with no love from professional game reviewers. But went on to gain enormous fanbases.

See that makes sense because they are releasing something that will eventually be a full game in a less than full state. And you have to take the day one review for what you release. Fair enough.

MaDKaT

I don't know if the baggage/expectations theory holds up. The lack of modes and tracks and stuff is more than enough to explain the scores.

Really? Some of the reviews are literally comparing it to previous games. How is that not baggage?

Kashiwaba

See that makes sense because they are releasing something that will eventually be a full game in a less than full state. And you have to take the day one review for what you release. Fair enough.

That's the Problem with Archaic reviewing system, you shouldn't compare an online service game to SP games, it just doesn't make sense.

ethomaz

Banned
Just like the 5 in GT5 is created around the 5 mode, 6 for the 6 mode

It says absolutely nothing. The previous games were already created around a sport.
Sport was the name Kaz choose because the Sport mode (the online part) is the most important part of the game.

Kaz said that dozen of times.

It is not a random name.

Previous games had nothing close focused like the Sport mode.

People think this is a spin-off? Good Lord. Kaz says it's 7. But it's a reboot too, GT6 still had PS2 cars. Also racing games are a hard sale in today's climent, GaaS and multiplayer is what's hot so what sport turned out to be be is fine. I just miss career mode. I have a feeling they'll add in some project car's multiplayer career mode however.

farisr

Then don't play the game? The game is mp focused and obviously you don't care about that, I skipped FF14 because i don't want to play MMOrpg should i go and complain in every FF thread about FF14 not being for me?
You do realize this whole conversation started from review complaints right? That reviewers should not be comparing GT Sport to the past games or other games because it's a new direction for the series, and that they're not being fair. This is not me randomly complaining here.

I'm not playing the game right now. I haven't bought it. After the beta I had determined that I would not be willing to buy this game for any more than what they charged for the GT5 Prologue as the online mode didn't hook me and the rest of the content feels like that to me, so I was going to be waiting till the MSRP dropped to $30.

The fact that this still has GT gameplay is the reason why I'm here. I will call out ridiculous statements and logic being used when I see it.

Crayon

Really? Some of the reviews are literally comparing it to previous games. How is that not baggage?

Because it's perfectly natural to compare the new type game to the previous games. I'm sure some reviews may be effected by expectations, but this initial fledgling state of the game warrants mid seven reviews and most the reviews seem to bear that out. Occam's razor and all.

MaDKaT

Sport was the name Kaz choose because the Sport mode (the online part) is the most important part of the game.

It is not a random name.

Kaz also said it has a robust single player campaign.

Dubz

So glad I didn't buy this after listening to the latest Giant Bomb podcast. This sounds like a racing game made for the most niche of the niche hardcore competitive racing fans.

Kaze13

I don't know what I expected from participating in GT threads in Neogaf. I'll stick to playing the game with those that actually have it and are enjoying it. Back to lurking I go.

MaDKaT

Because it's perfectly natural to compare the new type game to the previous games. I'm sure some reviews may be effected by expectations, but this initial fledgling state of the game warrants mid seven reviews and most the reviews seem to bear that out. Occam's razor and all.

So... baggage

Kashiwaba

So glad I didn't buy this after listening to the latest Giant Bomb podcast. This sounds like a racing game made for the most niche of the niche hardcore competitive racing fans.

You have no idea how many people play Sim racers for years, i actually think this is the natural evolution for this genre, and i agree the game also needs to have more SP focus they should follow Fifa model a solid sp combined with solid mp.

Servbot24

Banned
Of course it has.

Depends how you define "campaign" I guess. It does have single player, but the single player is just a checklist of tasks. In previous GT games it felt much more organic to purchase used cars, tune them and chose events.

I'm fine with GT changing the single player progression, but if they're going to change it, the change has to be an improvement. A checklist is not an improvement.

ethomaz

Banned
Depends how you define "campaign" I guess. It does have single player, but the single player is just a checklist of tasks. In previous GT games it felt much more organic to purchase used cars, tune them and chose events.

I'm fine with GT changing the single player progression, but if they're going to change it, the change has to be an improvement. A checklist is not an improvement.
In previous it was only a checklist of events... you go on menu getting gold to unlock the next.

Both are campaign and both are checklists.

At least this time it is fun and not boring like GT6.

PS. I have Platinum in GT5 and GT6... that means I played every checklist of the campaign in both games.

MaDKaT

No. The game -standing on its own- is not full enough. You are up your own ass with your baggage theory.

No need to be hostile. But if the game was free of the past, maybe it's past wouldn't be compared to and it could stand on it's own or only against the competition.

I was actually hoping for a bigger SP portion of GTS, especially after the statements that the online portion would make up only 15%. I guess it's a let down for many. 75-79 MC seems fair.

Destiny. Diablo3

Diablo 3 was loved by professional game reviewers, though, it has an 88 avg on MC. Even with all the crap surrounding it at launch.

No need to be hostile. But if the game was free of the past, maybe it's past wouldn't be compared to and it could stand on it's own or only against the competition.
Even if GT Sport was detached from its past, and thus the disappointment of players of previous career modes, car collection aspects and offline. it'd still be going toe to toe against a much more crowded field of competitors this time around, who have a lot more content out of the box, and less harsh restrictions (online-only).

It is not a random name.

What is the focus of the Sport mode in actual features?

You have three things:

Matchmaking, as in GT5 Prologue

Lobbies, like GT5 and 6

Safety rating, this is something new

There are the future FIA events which could be something like GT Academy or not, remains to be seen. So far the only thing that´s new is the rating system.

It´s crystal clear the focus of the PR message is in the online because they don´t have content ready for PS4 standards.

Oh but GT1, but GT3... sure, but everything has to be taken into context. Back in the day, GT1 and 3 were the most feature content racing games in the market. Now it´s the one with the least amount of content compared to it´s competitors.

Of course the message is that this is an online focused game.

Just to be clear, this is not a jab on Kaz, he is a legend and a great guy in person. And we know that GT has changed racing games forever, but that doesn´t change the fact that they were so behind in schedule that had to resort to atrocities like rally versions of Mustangs and NSX and things like BB Raceway just to have a minimum amount of content to sell at a full price.

MaDKaT

Even if GT Sport was detached from its past, and thus the disappointment of players of previous career modes, car collection aspects and offline. it'd still be going toe to toe against a much more crowded field of competitors this time around, who have a lot more content out of the box, and less harsh restrictions (online-only).

Yes. May have warranted some higher marks from those reviewers reminiscing on the past games too.

ethomaz

Banned
A simple comparison between GT6 and GTS campaign...

GT6
- Play license missions to enter in races
- Play races
- Play challenges
- Repeat until end

GTS
- Play missions
- Play challenges
- Play races

The main differences are the first use different modes while GTS combined all in a single mode.

I found the new way better and more organized...

MaDKaT

A little comparison between GT6 and GTS campaign...

GT6
- Play license missions to enter in races
- Play races

GTS
- Play missions
- Play races

The main differences are the first use different modes while GTS combined all in a single mode.

Any reason you are reducing gt6 to just those 2? Ignoring the fleshed out campaign, the online and events?

For me I'm not coming from GT5 or 6 (last one I played was 3), I'm coming from Driveclub where I found the SP event tours really enjoyable. Especially the 2 or 3 stage championships with sector shootouts to keep it interesting, along with the larger progression within the tour to unlock the next batch of events. That's the kind of direction I wish GT had gone for its SP content; I find the challenges stuff (what I've played so far) kind of boring and antiquated.

farisr

Ohhhh I forget challenges sorry (that are in GTS too).
and you forgot tournaments in GT6, and rags to riches progression in GT6, and parts upgrades in GT6.

It's fine to prefer the new campaign, but don't be disingenuous about what the old career modes entailed.

ethomaz

Banned
and you forgot tournaments in GT6, and rags to riches progression in GT6, and parts upgrades in GT6.

It's fine to prefer the new campaign, but don't be disingenuous about what the old career modes entailed.
Because the tournaments are basically races in sequence in GT6.

Tomorrow I will make a detailed list of all campaign content in both games.

farisr

Because the tournaments are basically races in sequence in GT6.
However they do provide a different atmosphere and progression where you can lose a race or two and end up winning a championship by a point in the end. It's a bit different than a one off races, or doing a series of one off races.

Top Bottom