• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Disappoinment in what? that you get to play a very good polished game? You can't use the single player argument about this game, because we knew the direction of the game damn near 2 years ago.

I've been enjoying the game, but I would argue the online aspect has been a real letdown so far. (I am actually enjoying the solo missions far more)

The lack of variety is entirely missing from the ranked series. The entire premise of the game's "sportsmanship" mission is also exclusive to the single mode, so it feels a bit spurious given how limiting and somewhat disrespectful the game is about providing access to building and growing my rank.

Barring that, with no matchmaking for unranked play, the lobby system is a sluggish means of gathering players together that is largely unreliable at getting persons(ie. me) into a race. Hosts will drop after waiting several minutes doing nothing but free laps, player count is often far too low in a majority of rooms. My experience interfacing with that setup has been overall very poor as a delivery mechanism for getting me from main menu to an online race grid in an efficient manner. [Maybe a GAF league will bloom soon to get a reliable rotation?]

Basically for an online-centric driving experience, this needs work to keep me close to engaged.

farisr

You know you're desperate when you start acting like GT Sport is a departure from GT like Mario kart is a departure from Mario platformers. So sad.

They named it sport in an attempt to deflect expectations but also have a fallback plan. Kaz himself has said this is GT7 in all but name.

spwolf

If I knew Trump was going to be elected two years ago, I would still be disappointed on inauguration day. Just because you know something is coming, doesn't mean that there's reason not to be disappointed about it when it finally comes to fruition.

your analogy would be correct if Trump was objectively BEST EVER president, just different and more modern, more social... like I expected another Clinton, got Obama., happy days.

Not sure how Trump fits there, nobody ever said he is polished, or that excels at playing with others and he definitely does not exude art either.

farisr

You are desperate and salty when you thing the name didn't changed.
who said it's name hasn't changed? Nobody. A name change is not enough to get rid of expectations when the basic gameplay systems and genre have not changed. And definitely not enough to magically consider the game exempt from comparisons to other games the genre, which include its predecessors.

MaDKaT

who said it's name hasn't changed? Nobody. A name change is not enough to get rid of expectations. And definitely not enough to magically consider the game exempt from comparisons to other games tne genre.

No no, "Sport" negates a 20 year legacy.

You know you're desperate when you start acting like GT Sport is a departure from GT like Mario kart is a departure from Mario platformers. So sad.

They named it sport in an attempt to deflect expectations but also have a fallback plan. Kaz himself has said this is GT7 in all but name.

It's more of a Forza Horizon esque departure, though in a different focal direction than that. Still in the same conceptual ballpark (driving is the main goal of the game), but not quite in Horizon's bubbly faux music festival open world funhouse. More like, and I guess as literally expressed by the game, "Driving is for everyone (so please feel welcome to drive against everyone)."

... But it is a departure, that much I think everyone can agree on. Whether or not that departure turned out good is up to debate.

farisr

It's more of a Forza Horizon esque departure.
It is absolutely not a forza horizon esque departure. The gameplay is the same, the tracks and style of the tracks is the same. Forza was more arcadey and shifted to open world. A big difference from Forza Motorsport.

The only change here is instead of focusing on single player, they're focusing on online. That is not a departure in genre, or even worthy of calling a spinoff.

ethomaz

Banned
PD changed the name of a franchise because they wanted to change the focus and create a new game from the ground not tied with previous games... they are even open with that saying they wants to focus in others things with Sport.

They pretty much perfect accomplish that making a good game.

Salty posters says they hate it because they didn’t expect a change in focus.

And my analogies are idiotic lol

MaDKaT

PD changed the name of a franchise because they wanted to change the focus and create a new game from the ground not tied with previous games.

Yes, we all know what they tried to do. Unfortunately they messed up the messaging and were unable to pull away from the baggage of previous games.

And yes, your analogies were idiotic.

ethomaz

Banned
Yes, we all know what they tried to do. Unfortunately they messed up the messaging and were unable to pull away from the baggage of previous games.

And yes, your analogies were idiotic.
The message was clear lol

It is like you want Mario Kart to be Mario Tennis.

farisr

PD changed the name of a franchise because they wanted to change the focus and create a new game from the ground not tied with previous games.

Salty posters says they hate it because they didn't expect a change in focus.
The franchise name is Gran Turismo, they didn't change that. Not tied with previous games but sure as heck are marketing the hell out of the legacy of gran turismo in promoting this game? How does that work again?

They accomplished at making a console-sim that has a good online component (depending on who you ask) and a lacking offline component (depending on who you ask). If you don't care for offline, it is likely a good game for you. If you care a lot about a deep offline component, chances are you're not going to like it (there are exceptions).

Reviewers are evaluating the game as it is. If the online component isn't hooking them (which can happen, and there are definite annoyances with the whole waiting for a race to start system), the game is going to get mediocre to bad reviews most likely as a result of it lacking in comparison to other games of the same genre in the offline content department.

Ascenion

Saying Gran Turismo Sport isn’t GT7 is like saying Assassin’s Creed Unity isn’t AC5. We all know it is, but it’s nice to have the option for it to not be when shit hits the fan. I think as of now GT:S is no longer GT7.

Kashiwaba

FIrstly, Kaz has stated this is the equivalent of GT7.

Second, that's a stupid and troll analogy. Not even remotely the same thing. One's a platformer, once a kart racer. Two different genre.

This game is in the sim-racer genre. It's going to get compared to other games that belonged to the same genre, which all previous GT games do fall into.

Do people complain that Forza horizon is not Simulation racer Forza!?

It is absolutely not a forza horizon esque departure. The gameplay is the same, the tracks and style of the tracks is the same. Forza was more arcadey and shifted to open world. A big difference from Forza Motorsport.

The only change here is instead of focusing on single player, they're focusing on online. That is not a departure in genre, or even worthy of calling a spinoff.

I think the shift in design and structure is just as big as a shift in fundamental gameplay as Horizon was to Motorsport for the Forza series. I mean, you can choose to perceive that differently if you wish, but I think that's the entire grounds for the debates going on right now -- the very design and structure of GT has been revamped in Sport, regardless of the similarities to the core gameplay, and it results in a radically different experience that some people like and some people don't want.

ethomaz

Banned
I think the shift in design and structure is just as big as a shift in fundamental gameplay as Horizon was to Motorsport for the Forza series. I mean, you can choose to perceive that differently if you wish, but I think that's the entire grounds for the debates going on right now -- the very design and structure of GT has been revamped in Sport, regardless of the similarities to the core gameplay, and it results in a radically different experience that some people like and some people don't want.
Nah there is no reason for the change of the name /s

farisr

Do people complain that Forza horizon is not Simulation racer Forza!?
Already answered why Forza Horizon is not the same situation at this. Read above. Or tldr, it is not in the same genre, and does not have the same gameplay, nor style of environments. GT sport is in the same genre, with the same gameplay, and style of environments.

And to answer your question, there were actually a few people here and there that had an issue with Horizon when it was first shown off. Mainly the sim-purists.

PD changed the name of a franchise because they wanted to change the focus and create a new game from the ground not tied with previous games... they are even open with that saying they wants to focus in others things with Sport.

Ooft, lol.

Crayon

I'm still thinking about the parrallel with sfv and this being more demanding since they are competitive online focused. A lot of people will never be any good and will feel shut out.

Taking that into consideration, that will almost certainly cause a loss of sales and popularity among the existing GT fans.

On the other hand, the new game is not like anything else on previously on console and should be brining in new people as well. People who are maybe have thought of getting a racing rig or checking out iracing but never committed to all that. Gts is a really accessible way into that kind of thing and with the GT branding and quality, a lot of people will try it.

No way around it. It's a big shakeup.

Kashiwaba

Already answered why Forza Horizon is not the same situation at this. Read above.

Let me get another example then, do people complain that FF14 is an mmo, and yes it's similar situation a developer doesn't have to change the whole game name and throw out the brand name they built all those years just because they want to try a different approach, they changed the secondary name to Sport and that's more than enough to differentiate between it and the main numbered series.

MaDKaT

The message was clear lol

It is like you want Mario Kart to be Mario Tennis.

Clear as mud. And again with the stupid analogies.

Yes kaz mentioned moving in a new direction, however stayed mum on what was being removed. Problem is the Gran Turismo name is powerful and for the past 20 years has set certain expectations. Adding "Sport" to the name isn't going to change that. Really not that hard to understand and doesn't warrant those ridiculous analogies. Game may be spectacular but the GT name carries baggage.

farisr

Let me get another example then, do people complain that FF14 is an mmo, and yes it's similar situation a developer doesn't have to change the whole game name and throw out the brand name they built all those years just because the any to try a different approach, they changed the secondary name to Sport and that's more than enough to differentiate between it and the main numbered series.
Uh yes. It was a very very very common complaint. There's lots of people that don't consider FF11 and FF14 real Final Fantasy.

And even then, the mmo aspects do change up overall gameplay (multiplayer in a final fantasy is a big departure) and the world size and what you can do in that world. GT Sport however, does not. The gameplay and environments are the same style.
Now I understood... you have no ideia (and maybe never played) what GTS is.
What I understand is you have no idea what Forza Horizon is. I played the beta last week extensively. And played the beta in the summer before that. I know exactly what GT Sport is.

ElNino

It is exactly the same situation... different focus.
Different focus by a completely different team. This is the next GT game created by the same team.

I'm not saying I didn't understand what GTS was supposed to be, or that it isn't a good game (I'm still waiting for Amazon to ship my copy), but their messaging for the game has been terrible.

Zafir

Let me get another example then, do people complain that FF14 is an mmo, and yes it's similar situation a developer doesn't have to change the whole game name and throw out the brand name they built all those years just because the any to try a different approach, they changed the secondary name to Sport and that's more than enough to differentiate between it and the main numbered series.

Actually, many people complained about the MMO titles in Final Fantasy. Not anymore since they're old now, but yeah.

Just like many people complained about Kotor 3 being turned into SWTOR (and still do, since we never actually got a new single player kotor game).

Kashiwaba

Uh yes. It was a very very very common complaint. There's lots of people that don't consider FF11 and FF14 real Final Fantasy.

And even then, the mmo aspects do change up overall gameplay and the world size and what you can do in that world. GT Sport however, does not. The gameplay and environments are the same style.What I understand is you have no idea what Forza Horizon is.

Don't consider GT sport a main GT game and look at it as different game, you answered that yourself an online focused game is totally different from the single player one.

ethomaz

Banned
What I understand is you have no idea what Forza Horizon is. I played the beta last week extensively. And played the beta in the summer before that. I know exactly what GT Sport is.
At least I know more about Forza Horizon than somebody that things that changes only exists if gameplay and environment are differents lol

Sport is a new direction from the Gran Turismo.

Kashiwaba

At least I know more about Forza Horizon than somebody that things that changes only exists if gameplay and environment are differents lol

I met many people who don't know the difference between Forza Motorsports and Forza horizon, heck my roommate bought F7 last week then he was very disappointed when the game was different.

farisr

Don't consider GT sport a main GT game and look at it as different game, you answered that yourself an online focused game is totally different from the single player one.
I'm looking at it as its own game, the online doesn't hook me and the SP is not satisfying with what they've put in the game (from what I played in the beta, all of which I got gold in except for the rally events). I can also choose to compare it to other games in the same genre.

Fact of the matter is, this game would be a lot more appealing to me if it offered a career mode and progression of the past, without it, and the online mode not getting its hooks in me, this game to me is something with terrific gameplay wrapped in a poor content offering. Much like Street Fighter V was at launch.

I compare other sim-racers to previous GT games as well, it isn't exclusive to GT Sport.

Nah, every franchise has bad spin-offs, GT7 will define the future of the franchise as we know it.

For the love of God, this isn´t a spin off, this is GT7. Give it up people, this is a full game.

Feels weird to not want a new GT game. I bought all of the mainline games except for 6 (terrible timing). GT3 is still my second most played game of all time. But GT:S has completely put me off. It's just not what I want in a GT game. I've never cared about racing against other people.

The terrible timing of GT6 is what put them in this situation of not having content at all. Remember tesselation and the premium-premium models of GT6? Everything started from scratch once again for GTS, which is why not counting duplicates and fantasy versions of the same car, they only have 100 or so premium-premium-future proof models this time.

GT6 set them back four years.

It´s sad, but it´s a fact. The shortcomings now are just a consequence of this decision.

Beyond usual Giantbomb apathy towards things they don't like, I think the identity crisis point is a real big one.

The Encarta facts contrast pretty heavily with the THIS IS A SERIOUS RACING GAME ABOUT SERIOUS ONLINE COMPETITION stuff, which feels like it's compensating for not having anything for casual/traditional fans, but where it matters, in the car list and campaign stuff, there's nothing compensatory to be seen.

The "this is a serious online game" thing is just a big mess up and only helps to confuse this. You can´t talk about reality when you have only about two dozen FIA homologated cars and less than 10 FIA homologated tracks, not to mention even in the homologated cars you manage to include wrong gear ratios or tires, options that don´t exist in real life in detriment to options that are available but omitted in the sim.

Real online serious racing in a game that doesn´t simulate tire pressures? Or simulates in a pre baked way or one size fits all for all cars?

They should never, ever advertise this as something that it isn´t.

Confusion in some reviews is only because of this.

There was no need to reinvent the wheel, you could have copied Toce Race Driver´s career mode, used the 500 premiuns from PS3 era in 4k, and used matchmaking from GT5 Prologue, shuffle races from GT5 and the only new feature could be the safety rating system.

This would be a game love by the casuals, appreciated by anyone who has loved cars and/or the series and it would review very well with loads of content and a revamped career mode.

Instead, they set their sights on something they had no clue how to achieve (hardcore simulation for 0,01% of the fan base, the GT Academy guys) and in the process just hoped that everybody else would just follow suit and try to become a hardcore racer in a softcore platform.

It´s like they saw Arnoud Lacombe, Takeuchi, Wolfgang Reip, Nick Mcmillen and a bunch of others playing Assetto Corsa and other sims and decided to go after them.

No wonder the mixed reception.

That exactly why the game started a new name... Gran Turismo Sport.

It is like people expecting a platform game from Mario Kart lol

I do find it interesting that the single player part of GT Sport, particularly the arcade mode, really has about the same depth as Mario Kart 7 & 8. But few seemed to complain about the MK games. Reviewer loved them.

MK8 had even less sense of progression for me because everything is unlocked from the start. Except the car parts.

In all honesty, it feels like the game's online focus was built to compensate for the game's lack of content--not that this what they set out to make to begin with. I don't know why everyone is acting like it comes down to not expecting/wanting a change in focus--its online functionality is still extremely problematic.

Crayon

What are some other service platform games that came out in a barebones state and what kind of reviews did they get?

I think the main reason the Horizon comparison rings hollow is release timing. Forza could afford to spin the game off and not alienate anyone, because even if fans were turned off by what Horizon was doing, the next mainline game was around the corner.

GT games are MUCH further apart, and the next mainline game is certainly years away, if it even comes this generation. So there's little to no hope for people left behind by what Sport is doing.

Kashiwaba

Kaz considers it "7"

Ya and FF developers consider MMO FF games main FF games. What difference does that make? It's still a different game with different focus. Also Kaz would be too stupid to not call this game GT7 when that name would probably sell way more copies than GTS name if he consider them the same, what kaz meant is this game is not not a prologue but a full GT game and the word sport means it focus or Sport mode.

Top Bottom