• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport server problems are a joke

LostDonkey

No it's not strange at all. The game has a fraction of the content of a mainline gt game and an always online requirement. It's a fucking travesty to call this gt7 in any way. Should have been called gt7 prologue at most because that's the amount of content it has.

It is incredibly strange. The creator/director has said himself It IS GT7.

“For me, Gran Turismo Sport is Gran Turismo 7. Gran Turismo Sport is something that marks the beginning of a new generation or era. When you consider Gran Turismo 1-6 as the first era, GT Sport marks a new generation moving forward.”- Kazunori Yamauchi

Source: https://www.gtplanet.net/polyphony-digital-no-plans-gran-turismo-7/

There currently aren't any plans for GT7 in the numbered sense so can we please put this to bed now. The man himself is telling you this.

It is incredibly strange. The creator/director has said himself It IS GT7.

“For me, Gran Turismo Sport is Gran Turismo 7. Gran Turismo Sport is something that marks the beginning of a new generation or era. When you consider Gran Turismo 1-6 as the first era, GT Sport marks a new generation moving forward.”- Kazunori Yamauchi

Source: https://www.gtplanet.net/polyphony-digital-no-plans-gran-turismo-7/

There currently aren't any plans for GT7 in the numbered sense so can we please put this to bed now. The man himself is telling you this.

This quote reads more like It’s THE Gran Turismo as opposed to another sequel.

RavageX

I almost bought the game when the price dropped, but glad I didn't. Was a big fan but they lost me a little bit more after each release.

This being online focused makes it easy to avoid. I will always see online play as something that should be optional.

I prefer it to be..

You get all this great content, ALONG with online play...

Instead it's the exact opposite.

Gearskin

Neo Member
only online shit should never exist, things like these are bull crap, who the hell thought of these kind of design.

scydrex

I received GTS as a gift. I agree that this should have been GT7 with online support... I'm enjoying the game really but that online saving sucks and this game at least should have come with more tracks. Laguna Seca, Monza, Grand Valley, Trial Mountain, etc... come on!

Racing Nurburgring online with 11 to 15 other random people is amazing, that alone is worth the purchase for me. I wish Nurburgring was available as a daily race all the time.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Only thing I didn't like about it was that you had to play through so many missions just to get to multiplayer which I still haven't been able to race anyone yet -_-

down 2 orth

Polyphony has gotten gimmicky as fuck. I was nuts about the GT series at one point, but now I'm glad my friends and I passed on Sport. Still reserving judgement on 7 for when the details come out.

Dante83

Banned
Devs should take into account that if they are going to make a game that centers around connectivity, they should make sure that the servers are up to snuff. I do like GT sports even as a 1080p TV owner as the 1080p mode on my ps4 pro looks stunning, especially the replays being 60 fps. I have played the game a lot, and have enjoyed the missions challenges and stuff.

Why do people keep acting as if this isn't GT7. It's very strange.

Because they’re holding out hope for a good GT game? GT and Sony fans deserve better than what Sony has put out in lieu of a proper GT7 (Sport and DriveClub).

And isn’t it ironic that people responding to complaints about the PSN crapping out again for GT Sport are pointing towards a future update to allow for offline play...an update that necessitates online communication?...

...don’tcha think?

Woodchipper

I understand the online requirement to play MP. But why do these game companies insist on burdening themselves with forced online server requirements for the SP side of things? Isn't that just creating an automatic pain in the ass for them, as well as gamers? Yeah, yeah, gameplay tracking and whatnot, but still, just seems like creating unnecessary work for themselves to have to deal with server issues all the time, just so some gamer can play single player mode. I mean really, who gives a crap what someone playing SP is doing?
Exactly my point.

Ranger X

Is there as much offline content in this game as with GT6 or GT5?
I don't give a flying fuck for anything online so I base my game purchase on single player offline content.

I don't give a flying fuck for anything online so I base my game purchase on single player offline content.

I am going to be honest and say that I don't know, but if it had, I doubt it would be retailing at the price it is.

Not sure about GT5, but compared to GT6 GTS has more content ( challenges, driving school, circuit experience ) with also much better online than both. Cars and track will come via updates.

Vorg

Banned
Not sure about GT5, but compared to GT6 GTS has more content ( challenges, driving school, circuit experience ) with also much better online than both. Cars and track will come via updates.

This is so misleading. Content is also cars and tracks. Compared with past games gts is severely lacking. It was a huge disappointment.
Personally, I can't believe they charge 60 euros for the game.

ReBurn

Gold Member

This is what bothers me the most about the current state of games. Pay now for content that may or may not come later. Whole game modes and features missing but coming soon.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The amazing thing about Sony exclusives is that you unlock the full game months later!

I am glad Sony has invented the Game/Software as a Service model and killed off single player optimised first party exclusives which they release few of already...

Luke Skywalker: amazing, everything you said there was wrong. They are far from the inventor of that (I do hope you never wished for Early Access games like PUBG), they make tons of great single player focused content that is amazing at launch without a single patch (see Horizon: Zero Dawn), and they make almost as many new IP’s a year and push first party titles as Nintendo.

;).

test_account

XP-39C²
Some say that the game save is tied to online only due to the FIA integration in the game, that this was a requirement to get the FIA license. Not sure if its true, but i think it sounds very plausible, to make it much harder to cheat.

Unknown?

Because they’re holding out hope for a good GT game? GT and Sony fans deserve better than what Sony has put out in lieu of a proper GT7 (Sport and DriveClub).

And isn’t it ironic that people responding to complaints about the PSN crapping out again for GT Sport are pointing towards a future update to allow for offline play...an update that necessitates online communication?...

...don’tcha think?
You don’t speak for everyone. It’s quite clear many people love how they’ve turned it into an iRacing lite. No other games on console do online racing justice.

test_account

XP-39C²
Because they're holding out hope for a good GT game? GT and Sony fans deserve better than what Sony has put out in lieu of a proper GT7 (Sport and DriveClub).

And isn't it ironic that people responding to complaints about the PSN crapping out again for GT Sport are pointing towards a future update to allow for offline play...an update that necessitates online communication?...

...don'tcha think?
I dont think thats ironic. PSN is the whole network. This problem is related to GT Sports only, not PSN. You dont even need a PSN account to download patches for the games (same network however, but you dont need to a PSN account).

The amazing thing about Sony exclusives is that you unlock the full game months later!
Thats silly :p The full game is what you get at launch. Adding stuff later on is something that every game with DLC does, and it doesnt mean that the game is incomplete because of that.

Ranger X

This is what bothers me the most about the current state of games. Pay now for content that may or may not come later. Whole game modes and features missing but coming soon.

That's why I almost never buy AAA games anyways, because nowadays its only their budjet that is AAA, my experience is always either getting cheaper or smaller with more micro-transactions. And they are too much expensive anyways. I mean, 80$ here in Canada, this just makes no sense. I am not buying hardware like in SNES times here but the price is the same. Luckily enough, there's SO MANY great games at 40$ and Indies that are even more fun than many tired and overplayed AAAs that are all the same all the time that I really don't mind now now. I sure don't make the mistake to buy an AAA game at launch anymore that's for sure.

Apart from not being able to save progress for more than a day, I've been really enjoying it, been doing lits of the campaign/offline racing and challenges and played a bit online, I'm not objective as I've always loved GT bit as someone who isnt really into online competing in any genre ive found it surprisingly rewarding.

test_account

XP-39C²
That's why I almost never buy AAA games anyways, because nowadays its only their budjet that is AAA, my experience is always either getting cheaper or smaller with more micro-transactions. And they are too much expensive anyways. I mean, 80$ here in Canada, this just makes no sense. I am not buying hardware like in SNES times here but the price is the same. Luckily enough, there's SO MANY great games at 40$ and Indies that are even more fun than many tired and overplayed AAAs that are all the same all the time that I really don't mind now now. I sure don't make the mistake to buy an AAA game at launch anymore that's for sure.
SNES games did indeed cost more due to the ROM chips, but its not like this added huge production costs to the game. The main value and price of the games lies in the game itself (the code/music/art etc.). Making games are more expensive than ever. Not just AAA games, but those $40 games as well can have budget of several millions of dollars. Thats why the games are priced the way they are, so it makes sense.

It also make sense why the prices havnt increased more considering the inflation. Its because the gaming market also grew, so they could remain the same price points due to all the additional consumers. If the gaming market was the same size today as it was back in the SNES days, it wouldnt be possible to sell games for $60-$80 and keep the same leap in technology and quality that we're used to.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Can't say I've played much of it, it has zero playability outside online play and penalties are soo unforgiving, I've been penalised for other players crashing into the back of me and sometimes I don't even know what I've done.
It sucks the enjoyment right out the game.

Saiyu

Where the fuk are the tracks at? Trial mountain, Deep Forest, Grand Valley?

And yea that server down shit over Christmas was straight BS

spanna

My game of the year. I am very happy someone finally broke the mould of these console racers being crammed with 1000 cars where 95% of them drive identical and packed full of boring to pants tracks.

GTS took the risk to modernise and its paid off completely. No other console racer comes close to how the racing is online.
They basically condensed GT into a sleak streamlined and completely focused game and it has benefited 100% from that approach.

When I go across to Forza7 i am like wtf is this mess. What is all this guff. If any game needs stripping out completely and starting again its Forza.

Vossler

My game of the year. I am very happy someone finally broke the mould of these console racers being crammed with 1000 cars where 95% of them drive identical and packed full of boring to pants tracks.

GTS took the risk to modernise and its paid off completely. No other console racer comes close to how the racing is online.
They basically condensed GT into a sleak streamlined and completely focused game and it has benefited 100% from that approach.

When I go across to Forza7 i am like wtf is this mess. What is all this guff. If any game needs stripping out completely and starting again its Forza.

Agreed.

amdb00mer

I am glad Sony has invented the Game/Software as a Service model and killed off single player optimised first party exclusives which they release few of already...

Luke Skywalker: amazing, everything you said there was wrong. They are far from the inventor of that (I do hope you never wished for Early Access games like PUBG), they make tons of great single player focused content that is amazing at launch without a single patch (see Horizon: Zero Dawn), and they make almost as many new IP’s a year and push first party titles as Nintendo.

;).

Let me roll my eyes till they hurt at the PUBG comment. Maybe if Sony had released GTS in a preview program they could have gotten this fan feedback and had it all fixed before the full launch of the game.

GTS took the risk to modernise and its paid off completely. No other console racer .

If this was the case, I doubt it would already be in the bargain bins from as little as a month of release..

IISANDERII

Some say that the game save is tied to online only due to the FIA integration in the game, that this was a requirement to get the FIA license. Not sure if its true, but i think it sounds very plausible, to make it much harder to cheat.
Hacking save files has been a problem for literally 20 years in GT. So now that it’s online focused, they absolutely needed to solve it and make it stick. So far it’s working it seems but it’s not perfect. I’m not sure who to thank, PD or the FIA lol

I played this game for maybe 20 minutes of day 1 because of server issues.
Day 2 and 3 were fine, I played maybe an hour each day.
Haven't touched it since.

I'm pissed I didn't check the reviews on it before opening it. My brother got it for me and I would have returned it if I knew it was an online only game. I was expecting it to be offline racing and great single player fun.

TheVoid

Neo Member

I have the same feeling when going from AC on PC to GTS. The ability to not download custom cars and tracks makes the game really boring after a few weeks. Maybe I shouldn't expect that but I think AC spoiled me.

Malcolm9

I played this game for maybe 20 minutes of day 1 because of server issues.
Day 2 and 3 were fine, I played maybe an hour each day.
Haven't touched it since.

I'm pissed I didn't check the reviews on it before opening it. My brother got it for me and I would have returned it if I knew it was an online only game. I was expecting it to be offline racing and great single player fun.

So you never played the GT League, Missions, Driving School etc? You have to be connected online to save, but there is plenty of content you can play on without racing online with others.

This content will continue to grow as well just to add. The online racing is some of the best implemented on consoles with the way the driver ratings work.

Top Bottom