• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Granblue Fantasy: Relink adds PS5 version, launches in 2022; 23 minutes of gameplay

Astorian

Action RPG Granblue Fantasy: Relink will launch for PlayStation 5 in addition to its previously announced PlayStation 4 version in 2022, publisher and developer Cygames announced at Granblue Fantasy Fes 2020.

ranmafan

Well, I guess that leaves an open spot on my top 10 most anticipated games for next year. Glad they are adding a ps5 version but the longer this game takes to come out i get less excited for it. It’s good they are taking their time of course but honestly when they said they would announce a date for the game at the festival, I didn’t expect it to not be next year. Oh well.

sublimit

Banned
Well it's better to know that something will come much later than having false expectations that it will come soon! Of course i will be looking forward to it.

And Project Awakening.

JeloSWE

I'm in love with the art style, been really hype for this game since the first time I saw it. I really hope the story and game play will be as good as the graphics.

sublimit

Banned
Man that battle seemed like it took forever. And that boss in the end seemed like it had 10 million HP lol.

Was that 4 player co-op or was that one player and 3 AI partners?

sublimit

Banned
2022?
They really had problems with the development...
Not really. They actually seem quite upfront about the game's development:

■ Development Cycle Since Developer Change

• Reassure fans that no development news doesn’t mean development isn’t happening.”
    • Make a commitment to dispel any worries by releasing new information by the end of the year.
  • Large increase in team size at Osaka Cygames calls for a larger work environment.
    • Building a workflow plan, preparing development tools, reshaping the Osaka studio into a fully-fledged back office.
  • Focus on building a framework for development organization rather than speed.
    • Have the implementation team focus on content to be shown at Granblue Fes. Restructuring development plans that were still incomplete, such as refining the game engine, etc. in order to be implemented in time for a 2022 release.
  • Implementing real-time four-player gameplay to be revealed at Granblue Fes.
  • Demonstrate an in-game quest showing new resources created in 2019.
    • Gauge the amount of work needed to rebuild an action game from the ground up.
    • Assess the performance of the new engine to identify potential development issues down the line.

• Resolve issues found within the game engine in 2019.
    • Refining of the game’s engine began at the start of 2020, scheduled to be finished by August 2020. Finished on schedule, greatly improving development efficiency (especially in regards to graphics).
  • Begin development on all parts of the game based on the final documentation.
    • Begin development on all elements of the game simultaneously in addition to the presentation shown in 2020.
  • Finalize the development schedule to include PlayStation 5 support and begin the main phase of development.
    • We’re currently nearing the final stages of development and going all in on asset creation!
■ Current Stage of Development

Granblue Fantasy: Relink has passed the following stages of development:

• First Playable – The game is in a playable state so game feel can be experienced.
  • Pre-Production – Missing elements are added and improvements are made to problems identified in the first playable build. Core of the game is fleshed out in preparation for vertical slice development.
  • Vertical Slice – A limited amount of characters, maps, items, and features are available, but a small portion of core gameplay can be experienced in near-finished quality. The final budget and development schedule are determined based on the quality of this build of the game.
And is currently on the following stage of development:

• Alpha Version – Various features and resources are either unfinished or using temporary assets, but the game in its entirety is generally in a playable state.
Remaining stages of development include the following:

• Beta Version – Planned features and resources are fully implemented. Some potential bugs and glitches may still need to be fixed, but the game should be nearing a releasable state.
  • Master – Ready for release. Generally three-to-six months before actual release. Day-one patches have become common alongside in development.

Last edited:

CAB_Life

I'd rather wait a bit more than getting a broken mess like Cyberpunk on consoles.

2022 for a crossgen game when the new consoles are hitting their peak and NAMCO, Capcom and the rest are rolling out their top-tier Eastern content? Good fucking luck.

CAB_Life

For me a good game is a good game no matter when it will come out or what the competition does at that point.

I'm not talking about your personal preferences, and never was. My initial comment, to which you replied, was that it was DOA with a date so far out. Nothing you've said suggests otherwise. Nor does historical reality when it comes to niche games that are pushed back farther and farther. Not looking to argue, but I feel that you responded to an entirely different sentiment than I was expressing.

BlackM1st

Banned
2022 for a crossgen game when the new consoles are hitting their peak and NAMCO, Capcom and the rest are rolling out their top-tier Eastern content? Good fucking luck.
It's not like jrpg's are known for their cutting edge technology. All in all, it looks good and better than most PS4 jrpg games.

Dr. Suchong

I've never been so interested yet so confused about this particular Ajrpg.
So let me get this straight, it was originally a mobile game? Now it's coming to ps4/5.
Developed by Cy games and Platinum helped with the combat side?
Also, why on earth did they release Versus first? Surely playing the Ajrpg before Versus would be beneficial to really get to grips with the story and character backgrounds?
Is it based on a Manga too?
Such a convoluted release. At least in my opinion ;-)

Enjay

Banned
I've never been so interested yet so confused about this particular Ajrpg.
So let me get this straight, it was originally a mobile game? Now it's coming to ps4/5.
Developed by Cy games and Platinum helped with the combat side?
Also, why on earth did they release Versus first? Surely playing the Ajrpg before Versus would be beneficial to really get to grips with the story and character backgrounds?
Is it based on a Manga too?
Such a convoluted release. At least in my opinion ;-)
The people who made this are former square enix employees and have maintained their former employers incompetence.

Depending on how truthful the company is being with their development timeline, my general impression is they took the game in-house, without having in place the resources needed to complete the project, and that much less of the game's content had been created, prior to the developer switch, than what many had probably assumed.

Regardless, the game is still looking like a slower--and much better looking--version of a modern Ys title. Hopefully the game will be fun, but I won't be surprised if it's ultimately a pretty average action-RPG.

Rambone

I was wondering what happened to this game. It's a shame it has been pushed back so far, at least I can officially write this one off and put it to rest now.

Did they redo the work Platinum did on the combat?

Doesn't look as good as before.
You pretty much have to go back to the 2017 demo (link) for material that would presumably have been in Platinum's hands. In general, the current combat looks similarly of the hack-and-slash variety, just a bit slower and with the camera brought closer to the character. Going by the old 2017 footage, the original combat seemed slightly more focused on evasion and chaining together certain attacks.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
HeartfeltDemandingAmoeba-small.gif

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm still very much hype for this game and is looking soooo good but god damn, I was not expecting to get push back to 2022.

Elysion

Banned
What is it with jrpgs and their absurd development cycles? It’s not just the big, ambitious ones like Final Fantasy that take so long; even more modest ones like this or the Persona games, which have much less going on under the hood in terms of world interactivity, take forever for some reason.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Its sad that its gonna be released that long. Its looks pretty and the art its charming.
They better hope I don't forget this game. The amount of news about this one is very scarse. I may even lose interest along the way.

Enjay

Banned
Its sad that its gonna be released that long. Its looks pretty and the art its charming.
They better hope I don't forget this game. The amount of news about this one is very scarse. I may even lose interest along the way.
It's never coming out.
Did they redo the work Platinum did on the combat?

Doesn't look as good as before.
Yes they fired platinum a year or so ago.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

2022 is fine, I can wait, but with all the games I want coming in 2021/2022 that means I don't have any reason to purchase a next gen console till then.

I'm sad they had decided to drop the Djeeta look-alike Protagonist in favour of the main GBF protagonists though.

Pejo

Gold Member
Looks good, but the combat seems to have taken a step backwards since Platinum left the project. Also, still looks way too easy, and there's not enough damage done on both sides.

Miles708

To be honest, it looked much more modern in the initial reveal, with the dynamic camera angles, dynamic combat and more cohesive and credible enviroments.
This looks more like your regular Tales Of game on PS3. I'm not sure I'm feeling this game anymore.

I have being saying this for many times.
development team was 6 people (Osaka 2019?)
Art team is in Tokyo, they didn’t got many people in Osaka because space, the director is awful horrible person. Last but not least cygames is considered Black Company (power harassment and others). They even talk about it interviewing new people , “we are not black at all... really!!!”

I still think some of the PS4 projects are only for inversor show case. Never release

sublimit

Banned
The way some people in this thread are pulling their assumptions out of their asses and trying to make them pass as facts is hilarious to say the least. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I still think cygames on consoles are full of hot air. All the talent they’ve poached and years of announcements for what? The arc fighting game and ZoE VR?

Keihart

This is the one being made by Platinum Games right?

“Going forward, Cygames will handle 100% of development internally,” Cygames said in a brief press statement. “Cygames would like to assure everyone looking forward to the title that we remain committed to delivering a game that meets the expectation of our fan-base and gamers everywhere.”

“While we, PlatinumGames, have been working with Cygames in co-development of the upcoming console game Granblue Fantasy: Relink, we officially announce our contract on the project has come to an end,” Platinum explained in its own similarly terse announcement. “Development will still continue, but be handled solely by Cygames’ internal development team.

My interest in the game has diminished greatly then and it wasn't that much to begin with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom