• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Knights History (PSP, Vanillaware) - Famitsu preview is up

I should be doing hw said:
Why isn't Atlus all over this?

At risk of putting words in their mouths, Atlus seems to have (P2:IS aside) given up on the portable RPG market in the US. They're not localizing the new Sting game for PSP either and that's after signing a much-trumpeted publishing agreement with them.

EDIT: The last time Atlus localized someone else's portable RPG was KitN PSP in November 2010.

Keiician said:
Er...

2132458271_full.jpg

Anyways, this and Type-0 are games I'm extremely pumped for and I'm almost 100% positive I'll never get to play in English. /cry

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
charlequin said:
At risk of putting words in their mouths, Atlus seems to have (P2:IS aside) given up on the portable RPG market in the US. They're not localizing the new Sting game for PSP either and that's after signing a much-trumpeted publishing agreement with them.

EDIT: The last time Atlus localized someone else's portable RPG was KitN PSP in November 2010.
Yeah. At this point, I expect this game to make it to the states via Xseed, if anyone. That said, I'm certainly picking up the JP version, and if no one else wants to, I'm happy to put together a quick OT.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
MoogPaul said:
No one else is getting tired of VanillaWare games looking exactly the same?
Yeah, I'm so tired of lovingly crafted, beautifully animated, insanely detailed, hand drawn sprite art, especially when it's by a company that has only put out 4 games in the last 10 years.

MoogPaul said:

Nope, because they look gorgeous, and we only get them every couple of years.
Granted, we're going to break that pattern with Grand Knights History and Dragon's Crown in early 2012, but I love this visual style because of the meticulous detail.

randomkid

MoogPaul said:

I get what you're saying, I just think it's a little churlish to complain given how rare these kinds of lovingly crafted achingly beautiful games are. I mentioned it in the Dragon's Crown thread, but I'm hoping their next one focuses on a new, more offbeat mythology. They've done Norse, Japanese, Germanic, how about Babylonian, Vedic, Yoruba, Mayan, I just wanna see their take on something we've never seen before that will blow my mind.

Also yes, someone please make an Official Thread to at least drum up interest for the fan translation community, the game is way too under the radar, even for Vanillaware fans.

JudgeN

charlequin said:

Didn't realize this until you pointed it out.

Atlus this is bullshit, you better localize this or I'm not buying Catherine!!!!!

MoogPaul

Dechaios said:
No. I enjoy beautiful art. I'd hate to see what your ideal game looks like.

Apparently your ideal games all look the same. I also like beautiful art. Beautiful art spans many different styles. Try going to a museum.

thetrin

MoogPaul said:
Apparently your ideal games all look the same. I also like beautiful art. Beautiful art spans many different styles. Try going to a museum.
If one artist painted every piece of art in a museum in the span of 5 years, it would all look the same. We're not talking about an entire genre, here. We're talking about one artist, producing art for multiple games in a relatively short amount of time.

Museums contain art from hundreds of different artists that define their era and generation. If you go to a Van Gogh exhibit, or a Monet exhibit that focus on a single period in their life, you'll see a lot of art, while consisting of different objects and settings, all share very very very similar styles. Why? Because they're all by the same person, during the same part of their life.

Now, if you actually look closer at the art in Vanillaware games, you notice subtle differences in their art, depending on the thematic influences the game setting provides. I can't believe that you actually looked at Muramasa, Grim Grimoire, and Grand Knights History, and actually said to yourself "gee golly, these all look exactly the same".

I'm sorry that George Kamitani doesn't draw like he's 6 different people, but that's kind of what happens when you have one person doing all the art for all their games (except Kumatanchi, of course)

JudgeN

_dementia said:
Catherine is already a success, your threat is meaningless!

Then so help me god they are going to get an angry forum post AND email. Yea and angry email from an angry black guy, they will be scared!!!!!

DarkKyo

MoogPaul said:
Like I already don't?

We're talking about vidya games, genius. I adore hand-painted art styles in comparison to your run of the mill anime-style RPG or other average looking styles.

thuway

They should just shift this project over to Vita :(. It couldn't be that much work to use higher res sprites, implement the touch screen, and have multiplayer working on it :-/.

thetrin

thuway said:
They should just shift this project over to Vita :(. It couldn't be that much work to use higher res sprites, implement the touch screen, and have multiplayer working on it :-/.
The game comes out in a week. Why would you delay the game for me? :(

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Grand Knights History Famitsu review score :D

グランナイツヒストリー(骑士物语)【10/9/9/8】

Pretty generous of Famitsu :3 36/40 :D

Akselziys said:
Grand Knights History Famitsu review score :D

グランナイツヒストリー(骑士物语)【10/9/9/8】

Pretty generous of Famitsu :3 36/40 :D
I'm thrilled of course, but Famitsu's been as in£luen¢ed as any other review site for a while.

thetrin

Fuck yeah. Can't wait for my copy to arrive!

Any details from the review? Has it been posted on their site?

Fine Ham Abounds said:
I'm thrilled of course, but Famitsu's been as in£luen¢ed as any other review site for a while.
Does the publisher of this really have that much money to toss at ad buys in the magazine?

LProtag

I wonder if anyone is thinking about starting a fan translation. I assume nearly all hope is lost in terms of an official localization. I'm curious as to what is seen as the 'correct' way to use one. Importing the game, ripping your ISO and then applying a patch to it?

matmanx1

Is this getting a PSN release? Almost rather go digital on this one if I am going to get it. Nice Famitsu score though.

Labadal said:
Pre release trailer.

Do want. I know seeing a western PSP release is unlikely, but maybe(*dreams*) on Vita. I have no doubt it would look great on PSVs OLED screen.

Sweet JAYZUZ the asthetics of this game get me so hot 'n bothered. Just watching the characters jump into place for battle or changing formations is so slick.

thcsquad

That trailer looks amazing. All the animation makes the art come to life. I neither have a PSP nor can read Japanese, but if I did I'd be all over this game.

Razlo

I'm totally going to import this! I've been doing that a lot lately. It can't be helped though, when great PSP games are coming out in Japan, with no chance of localization.

Nix

Banned
I'm skeptical about the gameplay, but the game itself looks gorgeous. Cmon Xseed, you've taken on shittier games than this!

GeekyDad

MoogPaul said:

I'm not gonna mince words -- that's some arrogant shit right there. And not all of their games look the same. Yes, they all have a signature style that is unmistakeably Vanillaware, but each game so far has its own design. Odin's Sphere and Muramasa, for example, look very different from one another, in spite of both immediately being recognizable as Vanillaware games.

As an aside, I've been eating Hershey's chocolate bars since I was a kid. Haven't grown tired of them yet. Each time I bite into one, it's a heavenly experience.

M-PG71C

Fuck Atlus, XSEED IMHO is a much better publisher. C'mon XSEED, if we are to get one more PSP game, make this one it!

(And SE, release Type-0 here too, damnit!)

thetrin

GeekyDad said:
I'm not gonna mince words -- that's some arrogant shit right there. And not all of their games look the same. Yes, they all have a signature style that is unmistakeably Vanillaware, but each game so far has its own design. Odin's Sphere and Muramasa, for example, look very different from one another, in spite of both immediately being recognizable as Vanillaware games.

As an aside, I've been eating Hershey's chocolate bars since I was a kid. Haven't grown tired of them yet. Each time I bite into one, it's a heavenly experience.
No but you see, he's obviously an art professor, who knows better than us.

Ken

Anyone know of a good website to preorder this from that doesn't only use PayPal as their only payment option? NCSX is sold out and AmiAmi only uses PayPal. Don't want to use PlayAsia because of how much they ask for registration.

thetrin

Ken said:
Anyone know of a good website to preorder this from that doesn't only use PayPal as their only payment option? NCSX is sold out and AmiAmi only uses PayPal. Don't want to use PlayAsia because of how much they ask for registration.
What's the issue with the PlayAsia registration? They're still the best option in this case.

Ken

thetrin said:
What's the issue with the PlayAsia registration? They're still the best option in this case.
Last I tried registering they wanted my SS #?

Tried ordering from PA and the only shipping they are offering with the game arriving in a week for me is $64.

Guess I'll try cdjapan.

Ken said:
You can try cdjapan

AAK

Wow... kinda wished this was the PS3 title rather than Dragon's Crown. Definitely prefer the character in this one. But I guess it's unreasonable to expect that since I guess they are a smaller studio and they can't make such high res assets for each playable character.

Top Bottom