• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Knights History (PSP, Vanillaware) - Famitsu preview is up

Respawn

Banned
Loving Fumika's music.

It seems Marvelous has the rights. So I expect some sort of VITA version since we are getting Dragons Crown.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Curious what kingdom everyone is going to pick. Because this looks like it's going to be pretty network heavy, we'll likely end up fighting each other at least once if we play enough.

I'm really tempted to join Union, the kingdom of Knights, but Logress (The Ancient Kingdom) has a nice look to it.

Anyone joining the Magic Kingdom of Avalon?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
thetrin said:
Anyone joining the Magic Kingdom of Avalon?

Me! It definitely seems the most interesting to me. Plus it's ruled by a queen.

I can't wait to play this game! Fortunately I managed to pay Play-Asia, my bank didn't want me to :/

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Lissar said:
Me! It definitely seems the most interesting to me. Plus it's ruled by a queen.
Well then have at thee! I shall see you on the battlefield. I hope playing networked while living outside of Japan will work properly.

LProtag

Anyone have an idea about how intensive the language will be in this game? Will it be akin to a Super Robot Wars game where if you basically memorize what the Japanese in the menus and for abilities looks like you can play through the game just fine?

DarkKyo

InsertNameHere said:
Anyone have an idea about how intensive the language will be in this game? Will it be akin to a Super Robot Wars game where if you basically memorize what the Japanese in the menus and for abilities looks like you can play through the game just fine?
Well since the game seems to be based on using specific attacks/techniques I'd say you will probably have to memorize the placement of said techniques to battle correctly...

LProtag

Dechaios said:
Well since the game seems to be based on using specific attacks/techniques I'd say you will probably have to memorize the placement of said techniques to battle correctly...

Right I was wandering more if say a basic text translation of the game would make it playable, or if it's a really in-depth RPG that you wouldn't have a clue about what's going on without a full translation.

Dunan

This is beautiful; yet another post-2010 PSP hit. If it doesn't get translated officially, I sure home some fans are able to do it.

Ken

My copy from CDJapan shipped. Surprised since their page said it would ship a few days after release day.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
thetrin said:
Well then have at thee! I shall see you on the battlefield. I hope playing networked while living outside of Japan will work properly.

It would be nice if it does! I'm not usually to interested in online features of games, but I am with this one.

Dunan said:
This is beautiful; yet another post-2010 PSP hit. If it doesn't get translated officially, I sure home some fans are able to do it.

There are tons of PSP games I would love to translate, but people willing to help work on the programming aspect for PSP seem to be few. I take it it's difficult? :/ Ah well.

Ken said:
My copy from CDJapan shipped. Surprised since their page said it would ship a few days after release day.

Mine is still preparing from Play-Asia, I hope it will ship soon... I've usually had such good luck with them shipping early. Possibly this time it was because of payment problems.

kiryogi

Banned
No ship notice yet from ncsx. Tho the shop page says restock in 4-7 days. . . I also ordered it pretty late. Here's hoping and yes, I'm also gonna join Avalon

thetrin

Lissar said:
Mine is still preparing from Play-Asia, I hope it will ship soon... I've usually had such good luck with them shipping early. Possibly this time it was because of payment problems.
Mine is still set as preparing as well. I'm sure it'll ship on time.

InsertNameHere said:
Right I was wandering more if say a basic text translation of the game would make it playable, or if it's a really in-depth RPG that you wouldn't have a clue about what's going on without a full translation.
Sorry I'm replying a bit late, but I think it's hard to tell. There hasn't been more than a few minutes of gameplay shown so far. My guess is that since you have to assign abilities to your characters, you won't have a set list of abilities like in SRW.

Even if you never learn Japanese, learning katakana can get you very very far in games.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
thetrin said:
Mine is still set as preparing as well. I'm sure it'll ship on time.

That's good to know it's not just me. I was getting a bit worried.

Just watched the video introducing the three kingdoms! Can't wait to become a soldier dedicated to the service of the Queendom of Avalon.

thetrin

I'm really curious if the crux of the game will be kingdom warfare. It seems really bent on conquering land, rather than furthering an RPG storyline, i'm secretly hoping it's just conquering, and light on story (like a JRPG Risk :O)

JWong

Banned
Hopefully they'll have some option to have it on Vita...

I have had no urge to play with the PSP anymore.

thetrin

JWong said:
Hopefully they'll have some option to have it on Vita...

I have had no urge to play with the PSP anymore.
I think they already said it was going to be on PSN. I imagine it'll be available to download when Vita releases.

KuroNeeko

I'm kind of tossing around the idea of buying this on the way home today. The art style and music are both appealing, but the lack of overall news, gameplay videos, and impressions is a bit worrying. I don't really have any other games on my radar this month other than the Clash of Heroes DLC that may or may not be coming to XBLA - so I might be able to fork out the 5000 yen.

I may be able to throw out some basic translation work. (Oh lordy, I had to go and open my mouth.) Menus and stuff needed to play the game would probably take little time. I definitely don't have the time to do dialogue, story, and misc. text. Heck, I'm not even sure I'll have enough time to play the game.

I'll be playing as Avalon.

On a side note, there are about 8 reviews on Amazon.jp right now - 6 reviews at 5 stars, 1 review at 3 stars, and 1 review at 1 star. It's hard to put any trust into the 5 star reviews though since a lot of companies like to go in and pad their reviews by getting their staff to post stuff.

The 1-star review said that he enjoyed the character animation / visuals were up to par with VanillaWare's other works and that he enjoyed the standard turn-based combat system. However, he was not a fan of how the game played out. You'd start out by picking up quest and then move your piece along a board-game like grid. This would lead to some sort of combat situation that you'd prevail in before having to move your piece back to wherever you departed from to collect your reward. He called the approach, "uninteresting" and had been hoping that there'd be more cities, dungeons, or other places to explore like you'd find in your more traditional RPGs.

Sounds like the game simply didn't fit in with his expectations.

The 3-star review said that your normal fights were filled with super weak enemies and that "skipping" or relying on "autobattle" to power through them was a pain in the ass. Then when you finally do reach a mid-boss like the Golem, you're so used to the normal, weaker encounters that you often get your ass handed to you. What's more is that even if you manage to defeat said mid-boss, you're often forced to fight through a second boss right after the first often leading to defeat. He complained that the game felt like "work" and that you were often repeating the same tasks over and over. He also had harsh words for the story saying it felt like it was just "tacked on." He did praise the visuals though.

The 5 star reviews praised the game's tempo, it's easy-to-understand combat system, the amount of character customization, and the graphics. It was described by one reviewer as falling right in the middle of a RPG and simulation game.

Ken

KuroNeeko said:
the lack of overall news, gameplay videos, and impressions is a bit worrying.

I think it fell off the radar for a lot of people after Dragon's Crown was announced and shown.

Rolf NB

Ghost_Protocol said:
I'm starting to, and lol at all dismissive "No, I like nice art" responses. Grow up people, you know what he means.
No I really don't. The last V-Ware game I played was Muramasa, and that was 2009. I can do another at this point. I'm at a loss as to how you can get tired of something that only comes out every two years.

The game looks great exactly as it has been shown. If it doesn't appeal to you, don't play it. But the last thing anyone here wants is them listening to you whiners, and changing things fundamentally, or releasing even less games.

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Character creation looks great. Game looks fun. Wish this had higher than a 5% chance of coming out in the States.
Maybe we'll get a digital release. Aren't the Sony tablets going to support PSP games? I assume that will extend the life of the platform a little bit.

LProtag

I think this may be too much Japanese for me to figure out. I'll hope for a localization or at least a fan translation (even in a text file) and then consider buying it.

thetrin

KuroNeeko said:
The 3-star review said that your normal fights were filled with super weak enemies and that "skipping" or relying on "autobattle" to power through them was a pain in the ass. Then when you finally do reach a mid-boss like the Golem, you're so used to the normal, weaker encounters that you often get your ass handed to you. What's more is that even if you manage to defeat said mid-boss, you're often forced to fight through a second boss right after the first often leading to defeat. He complained that the game felt like "work" and that you were often repeating the same tasks over and over. He also had harsh words for the story saying it felt like it was just "tacked on." He did praise the visuals though.

The 5 star reviews praised the game's tempo, it's easy-to-understand combat system, the amount of character customization, and the graphics. It was described by one reviewer as falling right in the middle of a RPG and simulation game.
This is what I was expecting from the game. Looking forward to getting my copy tomorrow.

Interesting. From the videos linked above, it looks like attacking and defending don't use any AP. So AP is only for spells and skills. A shared MP bar reminds me a lot of Skies of Arcadia. I'm guessing late game spells will require refraining from every character using abilities in order to stock up on AP.

Also, you earn AP from defeated enemies? That's very cool.

Deeku

Looking forward to some impressions. Mine shipped from Play-asia today but I went for the el cheapo shipping since I won't have time to play it for at least a week or two anyway.

kiryogi

Banned
Still waiting on some word from NCSX... I think Irene messed with them or something. They have been barely updating this week. Sigh, better not mess with Xillia next week.

thetrin

My PA copy should be in today. Fedex shipping says it went from Hong Kong to the town next door in a single day (Which is mad impressive).

I'll make an impressions thread when I start playing.

cj_iwakura

How could anyone get tired of a developer who consistently churn out such beautiful design work?

My god, someone has to localize this. It looks amazing.

thetrin

My copy just arrived. I'm working right now, but I'll load it up in an hour or so and get going. I'll put together a thread.

matmanx1

KibblesBits said:
Someone is playing this on twitch/justin tv right now!

http://www.justin.tv/kodensa

Yeah I just went and watched for a few minutes. It's gorgeous and the music and sound fx are better than I would have expected. I'd love to play it in english some day but I still may consider importing it after this fall's slew of releases calms down somewhat.

Ezalc

I was really interested in this game until I learned that it was a conquest game with a multiplayer focus. I'm disappointed, at least the game still looks gorgeous and I may get the artbook just for the visuals and that sexy ass queen, gatdamn.

Sooo, its 2012 now. Still no word from Xseed on a release date? The title popped up on Metacritic for this month, but I can't find any sources indicating its release.

duckroll

Lol, maybe Vanillaware is too busy finishing up Dragon's Crown and can't spare any programmers to work on the localization for this. Not like they have much staff to begin with.

Reveirg

Lol, maybe Vanillaware is too busy finishing up Dragon's Crown and can't spare any programmers to work on the localization for this. Not like they have much staff to begin with.

According to some GameFAQs users, this has been confirmed by XSeed via e-mails.

Amazon has it listed for March from XSEED, has a preliminary box art too.

41AiDtYbG-L.jpg

Probably doesn't mean much though.

Top Bottom