• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

Banned
I wonder if anyone complainging about the filter actually played Vice City. That had a filter too and once you took it off the game looked better and the framerate sped up.

newsguy

Sylar said:
I wonder if anyone complainging about the filter actually played Vice City. That had a filter too and once you took it off the game looked better and the framerate sped up.

So did part 3. They had those trail filters that made everything lok trippy at night, but hurt image quality big time.

Sylar

Banned
I couldn't remember if SA did or not. I just know when VC was released there was a big stink about the framerate and someone shut off the filter and it ran at 60 FPS.

Recoil

chubigans said:
Here's another old pic:

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360...511/grand-theft-auto-iv-20070524093352979.jpg
Look how great the whole scene looks, especially the cars. Now a more recent pic:

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/850/850691/grand-theft-auto-iv-20080208033009627.jpg

Focus on the cars instead of the buildings...it does seem that a "downgrade" might have happened. Wouldn't be out of the question as the game chugged with little to no traffic for the E3 demo last year.

Bad comparison, man. First shot is in the sun, second shot is in the shade. The lighting environment is totally different, you can't really compare the two in that manner.

newsguy

Recoil said:
Bad comparison, man. First shot is in the sun, second shot is in the shade. The lighting environment is totally different, you can't really compare the two in that manner.

This is correct. The reason for the flat lighting is that there's a building covering the sun :lol

There are plenty of new pics showing off the lighting which has not been downgraded from the looks of it.

Tr4nce

Goldrusher said:
4189-gtaiv-multiplayer-screenshot.jpg

Cool, I only just noticed the taxi fares on the cab :D

I can't make out all of the text, but 40 cents per 1/5 mile? Awesome.

Recoil

Goldrusher makes the point best:

Goldrusher said:
Referring to this:

009.jpg

4205-gtaiv-multiplayer-screenshot.jpg
Allow me: If you seriously think the screen with the red car looks better in-game than the one with the SUV, you're absolutely deranged. Try to imagine the view from a player camera behind the cars/characters in both shots. The first looks awful, the second looks amazing.

I like the graphics in this game but WHY CANT WE EVER GET A CONSOLE THAT CAN HANDLE MORE THAN DEVELOPERS KAN THROW AT IT?

I hate it when I hear, we had to cut some stuff due to limitations of the system.

Why cant they make a ULTA FUCKING thing that NOBODY can max out until 2-3 years after its released or something.

MAKE IT HAPPEN NEXT GEN SONY

w10

MobiusPigeon said:
1/2 mile to a mile. a station itself is 1/4 mile long.

general rule is 20 NYC blocks to a mile....so if 9 blocks avg is correct, its about 1/2 mi.

truth is, its varies pretty widely from line to line and depending what part of town youre in....

the lex line in midtown seems to stop every few blocks...

Defcon

Banned
robertsan21 said:
I like the graphics in this game but WHY CANT WE EVER GET A CONSOLE THAT CAN HANDLE MORE THAN DEVELOPERS KAN THROW AT IT?

I hate it when I hear, we had to cut some stuff due to limitations of the system.

Why cant they make a ULTA FUCKING thing that NOBODY can max out until 2-3 years after its released or something.

Because it was hard enough selling a $600 console, I'm not sure many would go for $1200 or more.

Goldrusher

Tr4nce said:
Cool, I only just noticed the taxi fares on the cab :D

I can't make out all of the text, but 40 cents per 1/5 mile? Awesome.

$2.50 initial charge
40c per 1/5 mile
40c per 2 minutes

$1.00 peak hour surcharge
50c night surcharge

gamerx

efktc6.jpg

Preview in OXM said:
* Jeronimo Barrera, a senior developer at Rockstar, says it takes testers playing 4 hours a day "a good 2 weeks to get through the whole single-player game."

* Rockstar's Steve Hahnel says the ambition of GTA IV is the reason the game was delayed. Multiplayer was one of the main things responsible for the delay. Gameplay needed to be balanced, and "an authentic Liberty City had to be created for 16 players to explore and destroy simultaneously."

* In multiplayer, as stated previously, the host gets to decide on a number of options such as weather, vehicle types, spawn location, etc. The host also gets to decide if auto-aim can be used.

* Health, armour and cash pickups are available during multiplayer. The cash determines your online rank - from 0 to 10. Kill people and steal their money to boost your online credibility.

* You can wander anywhere during multiplayer, but if you die you will respawn in the area that the host has set.

* You can't play as Niko during multiplayer, but you can create your own character (male or female) using different clothing.

newsguy

Goldrusher said:
$2.50 initial charge
40c per 1/5 mile
40c per 2 minutes

$1.00 peak hour surcharge
50c night surcharge

Nice. You must work for CSI seeing as you have the image zoom and pixel perfect focus machine:D lol@ peak hour surcharge. They even nickel and dime you in games now.

newsguy

* In multiplayer, as stated previously, the host gets to decide on a number of options such as weather, vehicle types, spawn location, etc. The host also gets to decide if auto-aim can be used.

The host also gets to decide if auto-aim can be used.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

This is the best news today.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Recoil said:

Im not looking at the lighting, I'm looking at the geometry. I cant really find similar pics though.

MercuryLS

Banned
newsguy said:

Seriously.

newsguy said:

Wicked! :D I was just thinking how dull it would be if it was all auto-aim based combat.

neptunes

Just imagine the possibilities of 16 person multiplayer

just imagine a room where everyone is dicking and trying to do stunts

competing while making their own rules and gameplay

Shinblade

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
I've been disappointed in the past, so I'm trying my hardest not to believe the hype...but it seems everyone is proclaiming GTAIV to be the second coming!

omg.jpg

YES, YES. FUCK YEAH.

I've had a 'hype-fap' for this game... i hated the previous ones because of all the glitching and borked aiming / targeting... the fact that so much is fixed... and the sheer awsum around it is sucking me in like a super nova black hole of gaming hype doom.

camineet

Banned
robertsan21 said:

Guess what, developers will run into certain limits on next-gen Xbox720/PS4 consoles within months of starting development of the first games. There are always gonna be limits.

traveler

Not Wario
robertsan21 said:

It's called a PC.

DarkKyo

So have there been comparisons made yet between the two versions? I wanna reserve it soon but I don't know which one to reserve.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dechaios said:
So have there been comparisons made yet between the two versions? I wanna reserve it soon but I don't know which one to reserve.

So far they're "virtually identical"...depends on your hardware of preference I suppose.

As much as I love the music on the GTAiv site does anyone else have trouble getting past the skyline screen to the actual map and interface?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
stewacide said:
I think the 'paint filter' looks great, but I have my doubt if it isn't just something they used to touch-up the screenshots.
I disagree, and I don't want to see any more screenshots with that filter on it. I am praying that they are doing it to spoiler how good the graphics are.

newsguy

Brianemone said:
As much as I love the music on the GTAiv site does anyone else have trouble getting past the skyline screen to the actual map and interface?

It has trouble with certain OS. I'm not sure if it still does, but when it launched many people complained about this.

SapientWolf said:
I disagree, and I don't want to see any more screenshots with that filter on it. I am praying that they are doing it to spoiler how good the graphics are.
It seems to be in all the latest vids... so I wouldn't cross your fingers too much.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Brianemone said:

That happens to me too, i have no idea how to get past that screen with map and music. Halp anybody!.

robot

Traded in CoD4 and No More Heroes at gamerush and blammo - free GTA4 preorder.

I had no idea there was multiplayer - this game's gonna kick so much ass it's not even funny.

Sadaiyappan said:
Am I the only one who likes the "filter"? It gives a cool effect and makes some of the materials look more realistic..

I like it, gives it an artistic look, im sure it looks a lot different during gameplay than it does in the screens though.

I also love the way the M4 those guys are holding dont have a carrying handle on it, would be pimp to be able to put a scope on it.

newsguy

How about what you guys are online with? Are you using IE, Firefox? Maybe try switching and see if you can get it to run that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom