• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsguy said:
The host also gets to decide if auto-aim can be used.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

This is the best news today.
Thank the R* gods.

FnordChan

I'm late to the GTAIV preview party, but I finally spent some time poking around the website today where I was delighted - no, seriously, I was absolutely a-tingle with delight - to see that all the radio I'm going to need for the entire game had already been announced. Old school Disco, with Cerrone's "Supernature" playing prominently in the background? Funk and afrobeat presented by Fela Kuti? Excuse me while I go weep tears of joy while I'm waiting for the fourth trailer to hit.

FnordChan

jmoe316

http://planetgrandtheftauto.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=149530

PlanetGTA is reporting the trailer size is about 76MB in HD and going off other trailer lengths, they estimate the length to be between 1:05 to 1:25.

One website in Germany already has the trailer in a password protected RAR file and can't open it until R* gives them the password which will be when the trailer hits the web.

If only they had some bruteforce password hacking software...

Alex P

Look guys, a screenshot of the trailer!

tease.jpg

Yeah, this is pretty much torture. :[

camineet

Banned
jmoe316 said:
http://planetgrandtheftauto.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=149530

PlanetGTA is reporting the trailer size is about 76MB in HD and going off other trailer lengths, they estimate the length to be between 1:05 to 1:25.

One website in Germany already has the trailer in a password protected RAR file and can't open it until R* gives them the password which will be when the trailer hits the web.

If only they had some bruteforce password hacking software...

Can't fuckin wait. 5pm central / 6pm eastern can't get here soon enough, godamnit.

dork

Banned
Yeah mtv had those screens awhile ago. Except that dirtbike one is new

I really hope there are tons of motorcycles, thats all i care about.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
So, what do you guys expect/hope to see referenced/paid homage to in the game? I hope they at least have something from The Wire. And also an awesome shootout like in Heat, which will probably come true. :D

Teetris said:
So, what do you guys expect/hope to see referenced/paid homage to in the game? I hope they at least have something from The Wire. And also an awesome shootout like in Heat, which will probably come true. :D

I watched American Gangster last night, so I hope there's some kind of references to Frank Lucas.

Tr4nce

I've been thinking about what I should do first, when I come home and shove that disc into my PS3.

As soon as the game allows me to play, I will go mad. No one can stop me. But first I'm gonna walk around, do some site seeing, punch some innocent bystanders in the face, drive some cars and wreck 'em, and wait for night to fall so I can enjoy the ambient city sounds. Then when it's all dark I'm gonna have a beer in real life, smoke a cigarette and fuck EVERYTHING UP. The cloverfield monster ain't got shit on me, I'm gonna go crazy and there's nothing you can do about it. Woohoo.

Disclaimer: FBI or CIA if you read this, I'm talking about doing this in the game, NOT in real life :p

camineet

Banned
Tr4nce said:
I've been thinking about what I should do first, when I come home and shove that disc into my PS3.

As soon as the game allows me to play, I will go mad. No one can stop me. But first I'm gonna walk around, do some site seeing, punch some innocent bystanders in the face, drive some cars and wreck 'em, and wait for night to fall so I can enjoy the ambient city sounds. Then when it's all dark I'm gonna have a beer in real life, smoke a cigarette and fuck EVERYTHING UP. The cloverfield monster ain't got shit on me, I'm gonna go crazy and there's nothing you can do about it. Woohoo.

Disclaimer: FBI or CIA if you read this, I'm talking about doing this in the game, NOT in real life :p

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
First thing I'll do, head to the subway to see if I can knock a pedestrian off the platform into an oncoming train.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
tribal24 said:
first thing im doing when i put the game in is check if my apartment is in the game, i wanna see how good they captured ny>.>

What if you do find this apartment? And then you go inside. And the layout is identical to yours. And you have Niko sit in front of the TV, and he picks up a game controller. And GTA IV appears on the screen. And Niko starts the game and goes to that same apartment in the game within the game. And this cycle repeats until you're found, dead from a blown mind?

Alex P

first thing im doing when i put the game in is check if tribal24's apartment is in the game, i wanna see how good they captured ny>.>

Raven1907

Goreomedy said:
What if you do find this apartment? And then you go inside. And the layout is identical to yours. And you have Niko sit in front of the TV, and he picks up a game controller. And GTA IV appears on the screen. And Niko starts the game and goes to that same apartment in the game within the game. And this cycle repeats until you're found, dead from a blown mind?

infinity discovered

Rockstar announces Social Club website to track your data and friends. Sounds awesome.

4217-rgsc.jpg

IGN said:
Rockstar Games today announced a new feature for Grand Theft Auto IV, releasing April 29. Titled the Social Club, the website will act as a community hub for all things GTA IV related. Registration for the Social Club begins exactly two weeks prior to the release of the game on April 15. Either an Xbox Live Gamertag or PlayStation Network ID will earn you access to the Social Club, though the release wasn't specific as to whether that means it will be open to all Xbox Live members or if it will be exclusive to Gold Tier users. We'll update this story later when we get the specific details from Rockstar.

The list of features for the Social Club is as follows:

LCPD Police Blotter -- A virtual map and tracker of single-player criminal activity logged in Liberty City from the aggregated data of millions of connected players - showing the most dangerous areas of town, most commonly used weapons and more.

The Story Gang -- This special single-player leaderboard recognizes players who complete Niko Bellic's main story arc of Grand Theft Auto IV - The leaderboard ranks players according to the total amount of playing time it's taken to complete the story, as well as a historical rank by who has completed it first. Members of this club will receive special online widgets and merit badges marking all of their in-game accomplishments.

The 100% Club -- Watch to see who will be the first to complete 100% of the game. The first ten people to be identified on the Social Club as reaching 100% will be sent an ultra-rare commemorative 'key to the city' to mark their accomplishment. In the future, the 100% Club will then carry a historical leaderboard showing rankings of who has completed 100% of a game in the shortest span of playing hours.

The Hall of Fame -- This area will dynamically recognize those singularly elite players who have reached the top of the hill on various statistical leaderboards, and will also contain a personal awards display of special in-game landmarks and successes in Social Club competitions.

The Liberty City Marathon -- A ranking of special physical milestones achieved in the game - from the amount of miles walked, driven, or swam - to the number of bullets fired and stunt-jumps jumped. There will be additional special marathon-based competitions in the future from this area as well.

The Social Club won't be limited to the list above, according to Rockstar the feature can be expanded with special competitions, leaderboards and new challenges to test gamers months after GTA IV's release. It's interesting to note that the press release continually called it the "Rockstar Social Club" indicating that the same functionality could be applied to future Rockstar properties as well.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/862/862638p1.html

http://www.rockstargames.com/socialclub/

The 100% Club -- Watch to see who will be the first to complete 100% of the game. The first ten people to be identified on the Social Club as reaching 100% will be sent an ultra-rare commemorative 'key to the city' to mark their accomplishment. In the future, the 100% Club will then carry a historical leaderboard showing rankings of who has completed 100% of a game in the shortest span of playing hours.
That's so tempting... but rushing through the game will easily ruin it for me.

Edit: Also, FUCK YES. STATISTICAL LEADERBOARDS. FUCK. YES. Jesus christ that's so amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom