• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV: which version?

Which version of GTA4 are you buying?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Clinton514

I doubt this thread will stick around but I won't ruin it for you.

My answer: I own both consoles and I'm sticking with the PS3 version. That's where my buddies are an where I primarily game at. I haven't read any previews so I do not know whether there's any "better" version.

traveler

Not Wario
No way in hell is this going to be civil. :lol

You want the 360 version, I guess. :)P) It's considered the lead SKU and the game hasn't been developed to fully exploit something that one system has that the other doesn't. (i.e. Blu ray) Also, it'll have the DLC, for whatever that's worth.

Edit: I don't consider the special edition worth it, but, then again, I don't really have much of a use for a GTA duffel bag or lockbox. That kind of thing is really up to you.

And, as the post above just reminded me, if you're into MP, you probably will want to keep in mind where your friends game.

No one knows for sure yet, even the preview PS3 version is a few versions behind the 360, so it hasnt been seen neck and neck.

also, FYI, DMC4 is slightly (like graphic bitch total level) better looking on 360.

personally I would really like a rundown of the differences (if there is any) between the two versions. I would like to the pick up the PS3 version, but if the 360 version is better like a number of multiplatform games are (save for Burnout), I will go for the 360 version. Also, once Rockstar announces the PC version, I will rebuy it for PC.

dralla

As someone who owns both consoles I don't see why you would get the PS3 version if you have a 360. 360 was the lead platform, it has Xbox Live, custom soundtracks, Achievements, and exclusive DLC if you want it. Both will be virtually identical when it comes to performance, it comes down to getting a few extra perks on the 360 [for me anyway].

_dd_

Clinton514 said:

My answer: I own both consoles and I'm sticking with the PS3 version. That's where my buddies are an where I primarily game at.

What he said - but replace PS3 with 360.

what is up with all these "Gaf, please make decisions for me" threads... and why are they always flame bait material?

so_awes

Banned
Clinton514 said:

My answer: I own both consoles and I'm sticking with the PS3 version. That's where my buddies are an where I primarily game at. I haven't read any previews so I do not know whether there's any "better" version.

me, too.

dralla said:
As someone who owns both consoles I don't see why you would get the PS3 version if you have a 360. 360 was the lead platform, it has Xbox Live, custom soundtracks, Achievements, and exclusive DLC if you want it. Both will be virtually identical when it comes to performance, it comes down to getting a few extra perks on the 360 [for me anyway].

GFT

ascii42

I own both consoles. I've pre-ordered the PS3 version, for a few reasons. I own every other GTA game on a Playstation, I've already put my 360 through Mass Effect, and also my PS3 is in my living room, which has 40" HDTV, whereas my 360 is in my room, which has a 20" SDTV.
I'm operating on the assumption that I'll eventually own both versions if the DLC is good.

BigBlackGamer said:
I've never finished a GTA game but achievements will most likely push me to finish GTA IV. So I'll take the 360 version.
This and I want to play multiplayer with my XBL friends.
Almost forgot to mention the extra content.

dralla said:

My reasons for wanting the PS3 version may seem stupid to others, but I have played the past 9 GTA games on a playstation controller (and KB/M later on), I can play all the past GTA games on my PS3, it is just kind of those OCD things where I am so used to the DS style of controller for GTA that even with the changes it will feel odd. I dont really care about xbox live since PS3 also has online, achievements I could not care less about, and as for custom soundtracks, I wouldent use them in GTA where I think the radio stations are a big part of the appeal. The DLC is the part that keeps me guessing. Chances are ill get the 360 version, but whatever.

Greg

Since you don't seem to be a completionist when it comes to the series, I'm guessing most of your enjoyment will come from the MP.

Buy it for the system that more of your buddies own.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Clinton514 said:
I'm sticking with the PS3 version. That's where my buddies are an where I primarily game at. I haven't read any previews so I do not know whether there's any "better" version.
This.

Are you an achievement whore or not?
If you are go 360, if not go PS3 or not it doesn't matter.
"But zomg ecklusives contents!!!!"
Most of the asshats who run into every thread spouting off about the mystery exclusive contents will never even finish the main game much less any add ons.
Some of them may even buy the add ons just to say they did or maybe even to run around when the group frenzy hits and the threads start for this mystery content but just as many will sit at home silently because mommy won't let them use her credit card or because they have already moved on to the next game of the month.
Plus hell, you never know what HOME will bring for GTA4

Make your own mind up, threads like this are asinine.

Have both system (although the 360 is with MS)

Still taking Xbox 360.

Friends for online. Most I know of are sticking to 360 on this one.

Mr.City

The 360 version for me since I don't own a PS3. Even if I did, I would go with the 360 version anyways for the DLC and achievements.

Im getting it for the Ps3 since I dont care about DLC. And my friends are getting it for the PS3 as well. Plus I believe there is Home content in GTAIV for the PS3 as well.

NolbertoS

I'm curious too, as I own all the consoles, but am leaning towards the 360 version, only cuz of Xbox Live, but I'll wait for the reviews, before I make my final decision.

MercuryLS

Banned
I'm getting both, but if I had to choose one it'd be X360 because:

1) Controller (biggest factor by far, shooting with those mushy DS3 triggers...bleh)

2) DLC (I might not buy it but it's nice to have the option)

3) XBL (Prefer it over PSN)

Also since the X360 is the lead system there's less chance that it'll be the worse one on a technical level.

Idioteque

I'm getting the PS3 version, because I plan on playing the game online and I don't have an live gold account anymore.

MrDaravon

andrewfee said:
Please keep this civil - it would be nice if we could avoid this turning into another "my console is better than yours" topic.

:lol :lol :lol

dralla said:

This. As of now we're not aware of any significant performance differences between the two versions, so assuming nothing comes out of nowhere giving one version or the other as significant edge I can't really see why you would opt for the PS3 version over the 360 if you own both. No one has final answers yet on which version might have a slight edge as far as technical/graphical things go, but either way it goes it's probably going to be very slight at best. The only thing I can think of is if you have a lot more friends on PS3 and you would value playing multiplayer with them over having the 360 DLC. Or if you don't have XBL Gold and you'd have to upgrade from Silver to get the online play that's a good reason depending on whether or not it's worth it to you to pay to play with your friends on 360 if you're not already.

I do think the "who cares about DLC since you probably won't finish the main game anyway" arguments are bullshit. Even if that is the case, just because you don't finish all of the main game doesn't mean you wouldn't want to check out some of the DLC if it's badass. Also assuming the PS3 doesn't have any kind of considerable edge over the 360 version graphically or technically, why would you willingly lock yourself out of content? Even if you don't think you care, no one can say that yet because no one has any idea what the content is actually going to be. If you have both and you go with the PS3 version because you don't think you care about the DLC, what if 3 months from now they announce the DLC and it's badass, and you feel like you've missed out and you're stuck missing it period or having to re-buy the game for a different system.

I own both consoles. However, i'm a Live Silver member so i'd have to pay an extra $50 if I were to get the 360 version for multiplayer. So, PS3 version for me.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This is just what we needed. Right in the middle of good MGS4 threads we get this. As if this hasn't been discussed before. Mind you I'm not upset, it just feels like I've been down this road before.

I am getting the PS3 version.

Wollan

PS3 version:
Friends
Home features
Better controller
Free Online play
Keeping franchise collection on one line of platforms
No dice roll every time you play the (100+ hour) game.
No mad disc drive noise
Have they said anything about HDD caching/discs yet?

Aladuf

Banned
PS3 version here, for the first time I have more friends getting the PS3 version of a multi-platform release.

I honestly don't know which to get. I was leaning towards the PS3 version because I refuse to subscribe to XBL Gold for multiplayer, but then that was my reason for getting Skate on PS3 and I never even wound up playing it online anyway (I thought it sort of controlled better on the PS3, though, so I wasn't too angry about putting up with the framerate crapping out on occasion).

The possibility of a HDD install and more storage space brings up the SLIM CHANCE of higher quality audio and less streaming issues, but nobody who's played both versions has mentioned anything of the sort. The feel will be pretty much the same for me on both systems with this sort of control scheme, maybe with a slight edge to the 360 for its superior-for-shooters analog sticks. The DLC isn't a huge selling point for me, but there's a reasonable chance that it might end up being good enough to warrant choosing the 360 version even if you aren't that keen on the idea.

So if the PS3 version winds up technically identical or better than the 360 counterpart, I'll get that and maybe pick up the 360 version for cheap if the DLC winds up a must-have. If the 360 version retains the slight technical edge the previews so far have noted is has, then I might just get that one. Problem is, we won't know this till the game is released, so I've got no idea which to preorder.

Wollan said:
PS3 version:
Friends
Home features
Better controller
Free Online play
No mad disc drive noise
:lol

Wait for it to come to the Wii with wiimote aiming, and balance board movement.

That said, i am getting both. I have a lot of friends that have either system, and will probably have 2 games going in the same room a lot of the time. Most of my time will likely be spent playing the 360 version, mainly due to the controller.

i'm not getting either version, but if i were to choose... i'd go for the x360 version for the extra content and better performance(?)... 360 was the lead platform after all.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
^ paid.

Wollan said:
PS3 version:
Friends
Home features
Better controller
Free Online play
No mad disc drive noise

don't forget:

[ ] the way it was intended
[ ] superior
[ ] tommy vercetti looks like a PS3 guy
[ ] other things that have no meaning

Top Bottom