• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV: which version?

Which version of GTA4 are you buying?

Results are only viewable after voting.

AmMortal

Banned
Please, Someone

Is there a custom Radio station for our own songs on PS3 version?

Maybe I should get it for 360 afterall if it doesn't :/

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Warrior300 said:
Please, Someone

Is there a custom Radio station for our own songs on PS3 version?

Maybe I should get it for 360 afterall if it doesn't :/
There isn't a custom station in the 360 version either, but you can do it from the in-game Xbox Guide widget thing.

I wish R* or Micro$ will give us a hint of the DLC. I'm not interested in cars or guns or clothes just more shit to play. I was thinking about this last night, I wonder can they actually extend the story with more DLC (I know they can but do they want to is the question). You get the main story on the disc to begin with. Hmmmm, this is going to be hard for me.

I'm thinking about buying the PS3 version and then Renting the 360 version, to keep up with both.

Also have the reviews mention anything about the multiplayer, are they equal? Voice chat etc?

wazoo

ps3. Anyway, i have only the ps3, but good to hear the multi games I bought (Oblivion, BP, Dirt,GTA4) are all better on ps3. Hope it stays the same.

Tieno

Racer30 said:
Small? I`ve read somewhere that it loads up to 25 seconds every time you die? Anyone knows the load times on the PS3 version? (when you die)?
People who've played it say it's small (skip, etc), at least what I consider small. I'm not very anal about this stuff. Lower price and friendslist matters more to me. When I pre-ordered the PS3 version I actually assumed the 360 would have the small technical advantage.

kitch9

Banned
brain_stew said:
Oh crap, they use them abominations to fire in the PS3 version? Well that just clinched it, its going to have to be 360 version then, I honestly wasn't sure till I heard that.

Their are two configurations, you can use R1 and L1 if you like.

Aske

kitch9 said:
Their are two configurations, you can use R1 and L1 if you like.

Seriously? That's fantastic! I'll try the default system first since the analogue trigger is pretty vital to the lock-on mechanic, but it's great to know we'll have the choice.

Tieno said:
Change undecided to > PS3 version.

Purely because it's region free and costs less to me. Technical differences don't matter that much to me when they're so small, so I might have bought the 360 version based on GAF Halo crew on my friendslist. Then again, I don't know how much I'll be playing MP and I really need more games to put in my PS3.

Friends > Tieno360 > Remove From Friends List > Are You Sure > Yes > Seriously? I Mean It's Just One Game And He Seems Like A Nice Enough Sort > Yes > Okay But You Seem To Be Taking This A Bit Too -- > Yes

Select Music > MyComputer > Artists > Nine Inch Nails > The Downward Spiral > Hurt

RuGalz

Went from don't care to PS3 version within the last couple weeks. After reading reviews and hearing what people have to say about the game, R* seems to have fixed many things in GTA that made the previous GTAs after 2 unplayable for me. Good job, R*!

No gold membership, most friends will be on the PS3, and streaming the game from hdd vs disc makes the choice simple.

danwarb

m0dus said:
I'll be honest, I was thinking along similar lines re: technical differences until I noticed Hilary wrote the IGN review. I trust his perspective on framerate hitches and popup about as far as I can throw him, so I'll be judging for myself which is the best looking version.
Eurogamer's review/comparison should be much more scientific.

FrankT

andrewfee said:
Thinking out loud: I've just finished listening to the IGN podcast about the game, and someone mentioned that the 360 version looked sharper.

What if it turns out that the 360 is using higher resolution textures compared to the PS3 one (which is quite common with multiplatform titles) and that the PS3 version doesn't actually have any extra anti-aliasing, but is rendering sub-720p? This would soften the image, which some people seem to mistake for anti-aliasing.

Oh, and are there any achievements for the PS3 one? I think I'm probably going to end up with both now at this point but I'd prefer to start on 360 if it has them and the PS3 doesn't.

IGN guy said sharper, more virbant colors as well? 360 version sounds really good if so. From what I've seen it is solid. DLC just icing on the cake.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either version of the game. I'm choosing the 360 version not only for the DLC but simply for the fact that most of my friends own a 360 not a PS3. So for some multiplayer action with my friends, there's really only one good option.

Flipside

Preordered my 360 special edition of the game about 10 months ago. When I read the pros of the PS3 version I was thinking about switching sides but in the end I really like Live (don't have a headset for my PS3 either), most of my friends will play it on Live and I sorta like achievements :D

So my 360 preorder still stands and I just hope the differences aren't THAT huge.

I thought multi-platform gaming would solve a lot of problems, but GTA IV is becoming a big problem. I have a fully-covered GTA IV 360 preorder (received as a gift), but now I'm faced with several problems (most of my friends have PS3s, etc).

Yoboman

Gold Member
andrewfee said:
Thinking out loud: I've just finished listening to the IGN podcast about the game, and someone mentioned that the 360 version looked sharper.

What if it turns out that the 360 is using higher resolution textures compared to the PS3 one (which is quite common with multiplatform titles) and that the PS3 version doesn't actually have any extra anti-aliasing, but is rendering sub-720p? This would soften the image, which some people seem to mistake for anti-aliasing.
I listened to it, I didn't hear them say anything like that

harSon

Banned
Xbox 360, absolutely no reason to get it for the Playstation 3 when there will be exclusive downloadable content for the Xbox 360.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Although the poll is closed I agree with the results. I'd however suggest following it up with a PC purchase a year later to relish in the efforts produced by GTA's incredible mod community for the best GTA experience (and best graphics provided you have the powah).

MercuryLS

Banned
harSon said:
Xbox 360, absolutely no reason to get it for the Playstation 3 when there will be exclusive downloadable content for the Xbox 360.

The technical edge goes to PS3, so that's at least on reason.

Truant

MercuryLS said:
The technical edge goes to PS3, so that's at least on reason.

The differences are going to be so minute you won't even notice. It's so typical of GAF to make a huge deal out of this, but everybody stops caring once the game comes out.

Yoboman

Gold Member
cjelly said:
If technical issues were an issue in GTA games, then GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas would have sold zero copies.
Yet if those had been a simultaneous multi-console release, surely you'd go for the one with less technical issue

harSon

Banned
I've been watching the (Xbox 360) stream for quite a while and I've yet to see anything that can be labeled as a 'technical issue'. Does the game look slightly better on the Playstation 3? Maybe. But I sure as hell won't notice, nor will most, since we'll be playing a single version of the game :lol

harSon said:
I've been watching the (Xbox 360) stream for quite a while and I've yet to see anything that can be labeled as a 'technical issue'. Does the game look slightly better on the Playstation 3? Maybe. But I sure as hell won't notice, nor will most, since we'll be playing a single version of the game :lol

Same here. If a technical issue was serious, it'd be plain as day on even the shittiest of streams.

-viper-

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Same here. If a technical issue was serious, it'd be plain as day on even the shittiest of streams.
But if the PS3 was suffering from pop-in and frame rate issues, all hell would be unleashed on the console.

Sad but true.

-viper- said:
But if the PS3 was suffering from pop-in and frame rate issues, all hell would be unleashed on the console.

Sad but true.

I'm sure there's pop-in on the PS3 version too, and the occasional frame drop. It's not magic.

Honestly, the only thing that really bothered me this gen graphically was V-Sync. That shit was unbearable. Luckily none of us need fear that spectre this time around.

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
Jtyettis said:
IGN guy said sharper, more virbant colors as well? 360 version sounds really good if so. From what I've seen it is solid. DLC just icing on the cake.

from ign review

For those wanting to know which version looks better, the edge goes to the PS3. The textures and framerate are comparable, but the PS3 has far less pop-in.
While GTA IV is pushing the PS3 and 360 to the limit, it also runs amazingly well. Sure, there are framerate hitches here and there and (particularly on 360) there is some texture pop-in, but it actually runs better than I expected.
The 360 has richer colors, but the PS3 has better anti-aliasing making it look a little cleaner. Because GTA IV can preload onto the PS3 hard drive, the in-game loads are faster. Don't worry Xbox owners, the load times are rarely more than 30 seconds and don't occur very often. The slight visual edge goes to PS3, but the 360 is no slouch. Either version will do you proud.

FrankT

Il Comodino said:
from ign review

For those wanting to know which version looks better, the edge goes to the PS3. The textures and framerate are comparable, but the PS3 has far less pop-in.
While GTA IV is pushing the PS3 and 360 to the limit, it also runs amazingly well. Sure, there are framerate hitches here and there and (particularly on 360) there is some texture pop-in, but it actually runs better than I expected.
The 360 has richer colors, but the PS3 has better anti-aliasing making it look a little cleaner. Because GTA IV can preload onto the PS3 hard drive, the in-game loads are faster. Don't worry Xbox owners, the load times are rarely more than 30 seconds and don't occur very often. The slight visual edge goes to PS3, but the 360 is no slouch. Either version will do you proud.

Yup, certainly saw that, but I was referring to the IGN podcast he was talking about, which I haven't actually listened to. If what he says is true it sounds like there may be some difference of opinion and may come down to personal tastes perhaps. Which would make sense considering there have been some in the community that have said they couldn't tell the difference between the two.

I'm more concerned about getting the most out of my game so I will be going with the 360 version. I'm the exclusive content will also have some patching included as well.

CoG

andrewfee said:

I highly doubt this game is native 720p on either system. It looks horribly soft on both platforms (at least from what I can tell from screenshots). I think we'll find it's being rendered internally at a very low resolution ~600 vertical pixels. I'll eat my hat if it's 720p.

FrankT

andrewfee said:
00:43:30

“On the 360 side, you know, I thought at least that it looked brighter and I thought the colours were better.”
“It looked a little sharper too, in the resolution, to me.”
“Yeah… uh, it's a trade-off, but I would say performance is just a little bit better on the PS3, uh, so it would have been nice if the 360 could actually use the hard drive the way the PS3 could”

The more I read, the more I think that the PS3 version is actually running below 720p, which would explain the better performance.

To quote someone from another forum I visit:

This is exactly the sort of issues you see when you're running below 720p and having the game upscaled.

Really, that is interesting, wonder when people will start counting those rails. I would hate to see that thread, especially if one is native while the other is not.

Talk about a crapstorm.

CoG

Jtyettis said:
Really, that is interesting, wonder when people will start counting those rails. I would hate to see that thread, especially if one is native while the other is not.

But what's more important? Running smoothly or the ability to claim the game is running at a native resolution? IGN, EGM, and Rockstar claim the PS3 version looks "better" which is interesting because no matter what surfaces about the technical specifics, to the casual eye it's moot.

Hmm, maybe the 360 is running native 720p, but if so, why didn't they just upscale it to get better performance?

FrankT

CoG said:
But what's more important? Running smoothly or the ability to claim the game is running at a native resolution? IGN, EGM, and Rockstar claim the PS3 version looks "better" which is interesting because no matter what surfaces about the technical specifics, to the casual eye it's moot. Hmm, maybe the 360 is running native, and if so, why didn't they just upscale it to get better performance?

Well that depends, because it sounds like IGN has had some differences of opinion, which does matter. According to Skip he said he couldn't tell the difference between the two as well as others who have played both. If that is the case I much rather have the native resolution in all it's glory.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Since Rockstar apparently didn't screw up the PS3 version, I'm changing my purchase to that one for free multiplayer. I refuse to pay for DLC outside of a Rock Band model, so that's a total non-issue.

Top Bottom