• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV: which version?

Which version of GTA4 are you buying?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Miburou

Sorry to sound like I'm trolling, but I'm getting it on PS3 because of the whole RROD thing. My 360 crapped out, and then one I borrowed from my friend isn't likely to last for much longer.

MMaRsu

Banned
Miburou said:
Sorry to sound like I'm trolling, but I'm getting it on PS3 because of the whole RROD thing. My 360 crapped out, and then one I borrowed from my friend isn't likely to last for much longer.

Get a 175nm?

Tr4nce said:
Himuro, have you already been talking with mods about when you/we can make the official thread? I miss the old thread! :D

someone needs to get on m0dus's ass and make a gta4 theme. i have one for the 360 but i really need a ps3 one

Tr4nce

bdizzle said:
someone needs to get on m0dus's ass and make a gta4 theme. i have one for the 360 but i really need a ps3 one

I know m0dus delivers nice themes, but actually there already are several nice GTAIV themes out there for ps3. If you go yo www.allps3themes.com, you can download the themes directly to your PS3. By the way, how do you like my new avatar guys? :lol

Tr4nce said:
I know m0dus delivers nice themes, but actually there already are several nice GTAIV themes out there for ps3. If you go yo www.allps3themes.com, you can download the themes directly to your PS3. By the way, how do you like my new avatar guys? :lol

i need an offical neogaf unofficial gta4 theme by m0dus or gta4 never happened!

StuBurns

Banned
The comment it was a reply to is pointless anyway, if Rockstar put the DLC out on PS3 they would have lost the $50,000,000 Microsoft paid for it's exclusivity. It wouldn't have made that up in sales from PS3 owners.

I'd like a poll of people who own both the PS3 and 360, and which version they intend to get, because the results of this poll really surprised me, I thought the 360 would kill the PS3 by at least double.

DC R1D3R

Banned
stuburns said:
The comment it was a reply to is pointless anyway, if Rockstar put the DLC out on PS3 they would have lost the $50,000,000 Microsoft paid for it's exclusivity. It wouldn't have made that up in sales from PS3 owners.

I'd like a poll of people who own both the PS3 and 360, and which version they intend to get, because the results of this poll really surprised me, I thought the 360 would kill the PS3 by at least double.

What made you think that (considering that GTA is a recognised PlayStation franchise)?

WrikaWrek

Banned
stuburns said:

You must think you're in another forum. Seriously.

Just because there's more 360s out there....doesn't mean shit in Gaf. There's like 3 times more Sony fans and like 7 times more Nintendo fans on GAF than Xbox fans. Heck, out of 6 mods like 1 or 2 maybe voted 360.

StuBurns

Banned
DC R1D3R said:
What made you think that (considering that GTA is a recognised PlayStation franchise)?

Well it's just based on the install base of the 360 and the fact it's highest in America where the majority of Gaffers reside. That and I would have thought anyone with both would have brought it on 360.

I guess it doesn't surprise most people.

DC R1D3R

Banned
stuburns said:
Well it's just based on the install base of the 360 and the fact it's highest in America where the majority of Gaffers reside. That and I would have thought anyone with both would have brought it on 360.

I guess it doesn't surprise most people.

No, nothing on GAF surprises me

DCharlie

Banned

i think this meme needs to die a little.

i doubt casuals look at franchise and start thinking "oh thats a PS franchise!"

People care about GTA, Madden, Halo etc... the platform isn't important.

ChryZ

DCharlie said:
i think this meme needs to die a little.

i doubt casuals look at franchise and start thinking "oh thats a PS franchise!"

People care about GTA, Madden, Halo etc... the platform isn't important.
GTA sold most units on PS2, some GTA games are exclusive to PSP/PS2 (LCS, VCS).

I know quite a few people who skipped 360 and they'll pick up a PS3 just for GTA4.

Anyways, before we'll see any bitter tears ... yes, the game will sell shit loads on 360. Its install base will take care of it.

acm2000

ChryZ said:
I know quite a few people who skipped 360 and they'll pick up a PS3 just for GTA4.

i know people who are buying a 360 for GTA4, does that make it an xbox franchise? didnt think so, its a multiplatform franchise

StuBurns

Banned
krypt0nian said:
The way some of you care which console this sells most on, you'd figure your sales bonuses hinged on it.

Pathetic.

Who say's they care? I thought it was surprising but I couldn't care less, I don't care about GTA in the slightest, and I certainly don't care that it sells better on PS3 because I brought one and want the consoles economy to improve.

I think it's pathetic that people brush off curiosity as some sort of fanboy battle, can't it just be that people are genuinely interested in the buying habits of console owners?

stuburns said:
I think it's pathetic that people brush off curiosity as some sort of fanboy battle, can't it just be that people are genuinely interested in the buying habits of console owners?
There are plenty of fanboys here... there are also plenty of sales geeks too.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I'd like to change my vote from 360 to PS3. My third 360 is doing the same stuff my others did before they crapped out on me. My last one died the day Halo 3 came out and crushed my will to live; I don't want to go thru the same heartache with GTA IV.

zesty said:
I'd like to change my vote from 360 to PS3. My third 360 is doing the same stuff my others did before they crapped out on me. My last one died the day Halo 3 came out and crushed my will to live; I don't want to go thru the same heartache with GTA IV.

:lol

stuburns said:
Who say's they care? I thought it was surprising but I couldn't care less, I don't care about GTA in the slightest, and I certainly don't care that it sells better on PS3 because I brought one and want the consoles economy to improve.

Read the thread then say that. This is the most console warz thread in some time.

Anecdotal evidence for sure, but on the back of a seemingly concerted effort by retailers in Australia to push gaming, the GT5 bundle is selling out and PS3s are flying off the shelves. The PS3 is also starting to get more catalogue space now as well - though to be honest this is only bringing it in line with that usually reserved for the 360.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
stuburns said:

Well, they're losing it anyway as they have to REPAY it. There's just no possible way people can still think MS just gave R* money for exclusive DLC. EVERY GTA thread has gone over it at least once. I agree the PS3 might not have got enough purchases of the DLC to cover 50M, but there's no way to know that for sure.

StuBurns

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Well, they're losing it anyway as they have to REPAY it. There's just no possible way people can still think MS just gave R* money for exclusive DLC. EVERY GTA thread has gone over it at least once. I agree the PS3 might not have got enough purchases of the DLC to cover 50M, but there's no way to know that for sure.

Why would anyone think the money was an advance? Has anyone confirmed that?

There is no benefit to excepting an advance to make something exclusive material, it's pointless.

CalamityDaunt said:

b6c484.gif

I just wanted to point out that your avatar is exceptionally well done. Some of the MGSIV avatars don't look so hot, especially the animated .gifs but that one is pretty impressive.

Sorry OT. Don't mind me.

stuburns said:

There is no benefit to excepting an advance to make something exclusive material, it's pointless.

A zero interest loan/advance gives them a fat amount of cash upfront and allows them to collect interest on it themselves. Depending on when that cash went into Take Two's coffers it could be a very nice sum indeed, but yeah Microsoft haven't actually paid a $50m flat fee for exclusivity.

StuBurns

Banned
Francias Castiglione said:
A zero interest loan/advance gives them a fat amount of cash upfront and allows them to collect interest on it themselves. Depending on when that cash went into Take Two's coffers it could be a very nice sum indeed, but yeah Microsoft haven't actually paid a $50m flat fee for exclusivity.

But the interest can't possibly be enough to warrant the profit that would come from the PS3 owners buying the DLC?

I don't believe it was an advance, has it been confirmed or not?
The only thing I have heard is that a Sony guy said Microsoft had paid a lot for exclusivity, not lent them a lot.

C4Lukins

Why was the poll closed? Not that the percentages were really changing after a certain point, but I do like big numbers.

stuburns said:
But the interest can't possibly be enough to warrant the profit that would come from the PS3 owners buying the DLC?

I don't believe it was an advance, has it been confirmed or not?
The only thing I have heard is that a Sony guy said Microsoft had paid a lot for exclusivity, not lent them a lot.

It has always been referred to as a "deferred revenue chunk", as in they get the money for the content before Microsoft even has it available to sell. I think Michael Pachter (as hit and miss as he is) said that Microsoft would actually have to sell $70m worth of content for Take Two to be in a position where they didn't have to pay anything back.

I wouldn't take what a Sony guy says about Microsoft to be totally factual, nor the other way round.

stuburns said:
You do know Take Two nearly went out of business last year right? That money pretty much kept them going.

speedpop said:
I HOPE THE PC VERSION BLOWS THROUGH THE ROOF JUST SO I CAN SEE BITTER TEARS.

By blows through the roof do you mean is the superior version? I think most realist expect the inevitable PC version to be the most impressive but I don't think it will result in bitter tears. Maybe a tear here and there from the irrational.

The PC numbers are so low for 3 main reasons. It hasn't been announced yet, people are too excited about the game to wait or people don't have a PC powerful enough to play the game. I don't think anyone expects the PC version to be inferior.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
stuburns said:

Oh jesus christ. Every thread. In fact, earlier in this very thread. YES it has been confirmed to be an advance. It was said by TTWO themselves in their financial report AND their shareholder meeting.

Seriously, where the hell is speculawyer? I know I'm not the only shareholder of TTWO around here.

EDIT: Let me also add, you do know many business deals will advance money that is repaid when the product delivers, right? It's like a good book deal from a big publisher. They advance money for the book, the writer is able to spend their time completing said book, and the sales pay off the advance + whatever is left is bonus. Same thing.

StuBurns

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Oh jesus christ. Every thread. In fact, earlier in this very thread. YES it has been confirmed to be an advance. It was said by TTWO themselves in their financial report AND their shareholder meeting.
I apologize for not sifting through 40 pages of shit when someone could just as easy answer the question without a wise ass remark.

I think it's insane that they would take it as an advance, I can't believe take two were in such a bad financial situation, they had a couple of hits last year.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
stuburns said:
I apologize for not sifting through 40 pages of shit when someone could just as easy answer the question without a wise ass remark.

I think it's insane that they would take it as an advance, I can't believe take two were in such a bad financial situation, they had a couple of hits last year.

Wasn't targeted at just you. Look at every GTA thread and the same tripe gets repeated over and over. Also, see the example above.

Top Bottom