• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV: which version?

Which version of GTA4 are you buying?

Results are only viewable after voting.

DCharlie

Banned
I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to.

i meant all bluetooth sets (for obvious reasons). Yes, you can use most head sets with an adaptor.

I was looking forward to casting my deciding vote too :)

DCharlie

Banned
why do you guys keep talking about tollbooths and the 360 version. Is this some joke?

the joke goes that the X360 version will be on multiple disks and you'd have to swap a disk everytime you go through a toll booth, so playing the game would be akin to playing something like Defender of the Crown on the ST.

FightyF

Banned
chart336.jpg

Results...

acm2000

Francias Castiglione said:
The 360 supports any headset with a 2.5mm jack (eg. wired "hands-free" sets for cellphones)

this, now people, shut up about 360 only supporting proprietary headsets :lol

acm2000 said:
Why were you guys even discussing it? Don't all 360's come with a headset in the box? Why would one go out and buy one or use one they currently have when there's one made for the system in the box? o_O

Orlics

I opened the last page of the thread and was like ":(" at the fact that people were discussing what headsets work with the 360. (WTF?)

Then I was like ":D" when I saw that DCharlie posted.

acm2000

vag 2.0 said:
Assuming the whole "UK running out of copies order now!!!!!" thing is true, whichever I can get my hands on. :(

its not true, they just want to get rid of the shitty more expensive version

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I wonder how much more money Rockstar would make if they could sell the DLC to the 40% of PS3 owners. If there are 3-5 million copies sold on Xbox 360, then $50 million/3-5 million is somewhere between $15-$17 per copy to equal the amount spent on DLC. To make this profitable, I would wager that the DLC will be at least $20 per episode or $40 for both since it is likely not all 3-5 million will buy the DLC. Perhaps they will sell the first episode for $30 and then offer both at a later date for a budget price.

DenogginizerOS said:
I wonder how much more money Rockstar would make if they could sell the DLC to the 40% of PS3 owners. If there are 3-5 million copies sold on Xbox 360, then $50 million/3-5 million is somewhere between $15-$17 per copy to equal the amount spent on DLC. To make this profitable, I would wager that the DLC will be at least $20 per episode or $40 for both since it is likely not all 3-5 million will buy the DLC. Perhaps they will sell the first episode for $30 and then offer both at a later date for a budget price.

It's the difference between having Image Comics publish your book or Top Shelf. Image doesn't pay you up front, you get the profits for the book after it's published. If you can afford that, it's awesome. If you need the money before that, to carry you through the actual labor involved with the work, then as sensible a deal it might be, you're going to go with someone like Top Shelf instead, who give publishing contracts and advances.

Unless I'm mistaken, RockStar needed/wanted the money up front and thus were willing to sacrifice the potentially more lucrative path of releasing the DLC on both consoles.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
CrushDance said:
Why were you guys even discussing it? Don't all 360's come with a headset in the box? Why would one go out and buy one or use one they currently have when there's one made for the system in the box? o_O

Because people keep spouting about the "choice" Sony gives you on your headset. You don't need a choice with 360, but you can have it if you're stupid.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Unless I'm mistaken, RockStar needed/wanted the money up front and thus were willing to sacrifice the potentially more lucrative path of releasing the DLC on both consoles.

You are not mistaken. Also, R* must really be confident in the ability of the DLC to draw purchases because the arrangement requires them to pay back anything under 50M. That's not something they plan on doing if you've heard their shareholders meeting.

keyrat

DenogginizerOS said:

That's one of the main concerns that was expressed by Rockstar.

But it's "an experiment" they're quick to add. Right now Rockstar doesn't seem sure that there are enough users with access to online content on the 360 to make it worthwhile for them to continue pumping out episodes.

http://kotaku.com/354716/rockstar-experimenting-with-episodic-content

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
keyrat said:
That's one of the main concerns that was expressed by Rockstar.

http://kotaku.com/354716/rockstar-experimenting-with-episodic-content

Yeah, you're taking Kotaku's inference on why the episodic content is an experiment. Like I just said, they're VERY confident they won't need to repay $1 of the 50M advanced for the DLC by MS. Where the hell is speculawyer, he was probably paying attention too at the shareholders meeting.

keyrat

squatingyeti said:
Yeah, you're taking Kotaku's inference on why the episodic content is an experiment. Like I just said, they're VERY confident they won't need to repay $1 of the 50M advanced for the DLC by MS. Where the hell is speculawyer, he was probably paying attention too at the shareholders meeting.

Is there a timeframe for how long they have to achieve the $50m in sales? I thought that Kotaku article said it, but after rereading, it's not the article I was thinking of. I'm pretty sure Rockstar has said that while they will make the DLC, they are sure that making retail releases will net them much higher returns.

Interestingly, a poll at Joy.stiq, X3F and PS3 Fanboy is getting the same ~60/40 results as the GAF poll. They have almost 11,000 votes already.

dfyb

Banned
acm2000 said:
because it can only use proprietary bluetooth headsets while ps3 supports any bluetooth headset. if you have a bluetooth headset for your phone, you can use it for ps3 too -- but your 360 will kindly deny you because they want you to buy their own bluetooth headset.... and as far as i know, the 360 bluetooth headset doesn't even work with phones and other devices.

dfyb said:
because it can only use proprietary bluetooth headsets while ps3 supports any bluetooth headset. if you have a bluetooth headset for your phone, you can use it for ps3 too -- but your 360 will kindly deny you because they want you to buy their own bluetooth headset.... and as far as i know, the 360 bluetooth headset doesn't even work with phones and other devices.

It would be difficult to use any Bluetooth headset with the 360 as it isn't Bluetooth capable. The wireless 360 headset is the same 2.4Ghz radio tech used in cordless phones etc.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
keyrat said:
Is there a timeframe for how long they have to achieve the $50m in sales? I thought that Kotaku article said it, but after rereading, it's not the article I was thinking of. I'm pretty sure Rockstar has said that while they will make the DLC, they are sure that making retail releases will net them much higher returns.

IIRC they didn't mention a time frame required to reach the $50M. They were confident between the 2 DLCs they would easily capture $50M+. Also, they could potentially net much higher returns with a retail release as not everyone has LIVE. However, don't count on there not being a retail release after both DLCs are out. See Shivering Isles release.

dfyb said:

You can leave.

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:

Zero, PS3 owners have said many times they are not interested in DLC and would never buy it.

MercuryLS

Banned
Dechaios said:
PS3. Just appeals to me more I guess.

See, this guy is being honest. I bet for most people in this thread it's more about platform preference than anything. It's ok to prefer a certain system over another for whatever reason, just as long as you're not a cock about it.

Dabanton

MercuryLS said:
See, this guy is being honest. I bet for most people in this thread it's more about platform preference than anything. It's ok to prefer a certain system over another for whatever reason, just as long as you're not a cock about it.

I think it's a real shame that we as gamers have to actually justify which version of GTA:IV we want to get.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Karma said:
Zero, PS3 owners have said many times they are not interested in DLC and would never buy it.

Awesome :lol

I'm pretty surprised at how many gamers are grabbing it on PS3. I kinda figured most people would be going for the 360 version (in other words I'm surprised at how many people only have a PS3).

Truelize said:
I'm pretty surprised at how many gamers are grabbing it on PS3. I kinda figured most people would be going for the 360 version (in other words I'm surprised at how many people only have a PS3).
This poll isn't really going to match up with the actual sales, but Rockstar can't really talk about the DLC without it hurting their neutral stance on platforms...they do want to sell as many of the PS3 version as possible, obviously. Post-release marketing of the DLC will have a real shot at changing people's perceptions a bit about which version to actually stick with and, for those who aren't yet committed, which to end up buying. Most unit sales of this series, so far, aren't the ones on day one, after all.

CoG

Truelize said:

A lot of people who own both systems are getting it on the PS3, for a variety of reasons.

Top Bottom