• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto |OT| NO GIANT SHARKS

UrbanRats

franklin.jpeg

9F.jpeg

buzzard.jpeg
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=556298

Leaked arts from the boxart.
R* will probably release them as wall papers in the next few weeks.

Fjordson

Playing a bit of III this morning on my phone and I'm reminded just how great the radio was. Even though it wasn't famous licensed music like later games, it's great.

Chatterbox, K-Jah, and Flashback are probably three of my favourite stations from the entire series.

edit: that leaked artwork looks great. Love the helicopter one.

Teknoman

So is Ballad of Gay Tony better than vanilla GTA IV? Pacing wise I mean, or is it about the same, just with a different viewpoint of the story?

Also the GTA classic collection for PC is on sale at Half Price Books and Amazon for like 4.99.

UrbanRats

So is Ballad of Gay Tony better than vanilla GTA IV? Pacing wise I mean, or is it about the same, just with a different viewpoint of the story?

Also the GTA classic collection for PC is on sale at Half Price Books and Amazon for like 4.99.
Much better.
The only drawback is, on PC, you can't use ENB properly on it.

On 360 and Ps3 it also looks better, with better car reflections, better IQ and draw distance.
Better missions.
Better Checkpoints.
Better weapons.
More vehicles.
Better bikes handling.
Funniest characters.
Lighter story.
Much better pacing.
Better protagonist (yes).

Fjordson

Tempted to get that for GTA: London (never played it) though GTA 1 and 2 are free downloads on Rockstar's website.

As for Gay Tony, I enjoyed IV's story just as much, but that's just me. Mechanically and technically I'd say Ballad of Gay tony is objectively better. As Urban pointed out, it looks better, has better checkpoints, improved motorcycle handling, and has some nice weapon additions. It's definitely a great piece of DLC. Even adds some great music to some of the radio stations.

sunnz

I dunno, but TBOGT seemed to transform quite a lot of radio stations from average in IV to pretty damn good and awesome.

I wish the buzzard was stipped of the rockets and R* added the hunter back in ( ah 64 rip off), still possible.

Also, a more realistic black hawk heli would be awesome, SR3 got it right

shield

I dunno, but TBOGT seemed to transform quite a lot of radio stations from average in IV to pretty damn good and awesome.

I wish the buzzard was stipped of the rockets and R* added the hunter back in ( ah 64 rip off), still possible.

Also, a more realistic black hawk heli would be awesome, SR3 got it right

Not ashamed to say I bought the Episodes from Liberty City disc just so I could cruise Liberty City listening to Vice City FM which wasn't in the download version.

I like the Vice City boxart the most.

Sometimes the more simple the art, the better.

Also did anyone pay much attention to the civilians in GTA IV? I know they did a lot of work on it but I wasn't that impressed.
I went out of my way to try to listen but most of the time they don't say much.

Love that street preacher in Bohan though.

shield

Second best.

Best one being:
http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/bestselling-games-2007/626-1.jpg[IMG]

Vice city's colors, white borders (much happier in tone) and round edges.
Love it.
Unfortunately not the most exciting choice of Artworks, but the template is the best one, for me.[/QUOTE]

Should have had Phil Collins on the cover.

PowderedToast

currently playing III and i love the open-ended nature of the missions. it's my fav of the 3D series

but rn i'm on the mission 'espresso-2-go' and now this game can go FUCK itself

currently playing III and i love the open-ended nature of the missions. it's my fav of the 3D series

It's been years since I've played that, but I think you can drive around and locate all of the spots before destroying any of them.

Fjordson

What missions did you guys struggle with the most out of any of the games?

I remember fucking up so badly on the Zero RC missions in San Andreas. Holy shit, that took me forever to beat back in the day.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
anything with flight is the worst mission in their respective GTA series.

the fucking rc helicopter bombs in Vice
the fucking zero and flight school missions in SA

Fjordson

Oh god, the helicopter in Vice City. The Avery Carrington mission, right? Where you blow up the construction building.

I went through that on my iPhone. Trying to flying the RC helicopter and drop the bombs accurately using touch controls was a bit of a nightmare :lol

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I remember fucking up so badly on the Zero RC missions in San Andreas. Holy shit, that took me forever to beat back in the day.

Hell yeah. What about Ryder's fork-lift truck mission? Long way to drive, the damned boxes were a nightmare to line-up with, and Ryder couldn't take much punishment at all. Weekend Warriors, indeed...!

dejay

Banned

"They're not toys! They're just smaller! " - the number of times I heard that.

Oh god, the helicopter in Vice City. The Avery Carrington mission, right? Where you blow up the construction building.

I went through that on my iPhone. Trying to flying the RC helicopter and drop the bombs accurately using touch controls was a bit of a nightmare :lol

I can't even imagine trying that mission with touch controls. I barely have driving down on my ipad.

"They're not toys! They're just smaller! " - the number of times I heard that.

"Launch the Red Baron!"

Fuck you David Cross. For whatever reason Supply Lines is easier on the xbox than it is on the PS2.

sunnz

The day I found out Zero's missions were optional, I felt like I was going to explode in rage.

His first mission was a pain but once I got used to it I enjoyed it, second one was the worst, hated that one and the third was was pretty decent.

My most memorable moment in the GTA franchise was when I did all the fire fighter levels in GTA SA on my second playthrough, which let me be fire proof and in the last mission I was able to just run straight down, worth it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Replaying BOGT, the intro is so awesome. Luis might be my favorite protagonist, but it's probably because he doesn't have as much time to wear out his welcome.

nashb81

Neo Member
Do those missiles home in on targets? It seemed like sometimes they did and sometimes they didn't when I last played it.

I don't remember, but that mission nearly made me rage quit from the game for good.

Replaying BOGT, the intro is so awesome. Luis might be my favorite protagonist, but it's probably because he doesn't have as much time to wear out his welcome.

I thought he was much better than Niko. His first interaction with Yusuf Amir cracked me up.

have you completed ray's last mission? If not then do it now. what you get will help extremly with that mission.

MormaPope

Banned
The Red Baron destroy the vans or whatever mission on PS2 was actually pretty easy, go in a clockwise or counter clockwise rotation to destroy the vans. Line up a shot that pelts that fans for a good second or two, don't go for the kill in a instant.

I was sorta shocked how I got the mission done in one attempt during my recent playthrough.

Raptomex

The Red Baron destroy the vans or whatever mission on PS2 was actually pretty easy, go in a clockwise or counter clockwise rotation to destroy the vans. Line up a shot that pelts that fans for a good second or two, don't go for the kill in a instant.

I was sorta shocked how I got the mission done in one attempt during my recent playthrough.
Are we talking about Zero's missions? The PS2 version of those missions are harder. The remote controlled plane is constantly running out of feul. All other versions it runs out of fuel when it's on the go.

MormaPope

Banned
Are we talking about Zero's missions? The PS2 version of those missions are harder. The remote controlled plane is constantly running out of feul. All other versions it runs out of fuel when it's on the go.

My own recent playthrough was on the PS2 version, with the originally print version 1 San Andreas. Planning ahead and taking a route that conserves fuel is what makes the mission easy or hard.

Going in a rotation where you can knock out each van without wasting fuel is the key to beating the mission. Randomly choosing a van to go to will make the mission much harder.

Raptomex

My own recent playthrough was on the PS2 version, with the originally print version 1 San Andreas. Planning ahead and taking a route that conserves fuel is what makes the mission easy or hard.

Going in a rotation where you can knock out each van without wasting fuel is the key to beating the mission. Randomly choosing a van to go to will make the mission much harder.
I still have my version 1. I don't play it anymore because I guess that version is considered rare now. So I just keep it in box. Good times, though. I still have the Xbox and PC versions that I play all the time. And those 3 missions are probably my least favorite in the whole game.

MormaPope

Banned
I still have my version 1. I don't play it anymore because I guess that version is considered rare now. So I just keep it in box. Good times, though. I still have the Xbox and PC versions that I play all the time. And those 3 missions are probably my least favorite in the whole game.

My least favorite mission is the one where you have to take Kent Paul and one of the Love Fist dudes to a snake farm. Every time I took them to the snake farm I would get a two star rating for killing some dudes and police would either smush Kent or force me to fight them.

You have to drive way out in the desert and if you're 4 door car breaks, you have to run back into town to get another. Only semis, motorcycles, two door SUV's and pick up trucks spawned in the area.

Such a simple mission that annoyed me greatly. Best mission in Las Venturas was when you have to chase a FBI agent to get a dossier for Tenpenny. Usually you chase the dude in a helicopter, I took a jetpack beforehand and followed him in that.

Shit got intense when he flew over Area 69, a attack helicopter was trying to gun me down and I had to dodge machine gun fire while in a jetpack. At one point he flew right in front of me and I almost went head first into the helicopter's blades.

Tawpgun

Yeah, much more as of late.

Me and my friends used to stock up on as many weapons and armor as possible, and we'd load into an Ahnialator. Usually at this point in time in the games life no one had really mastered the ahnialators Guns yet, so you didn't have those asshats just wrecking everyone from the sky. However there were a lot of people that just ran around the streets killing anyone on site, so it became a kind of frenzy.

So we had our pilot position us on random rooftops or other locations and we would snipe opposing players. Ideally, we would get someone, or a group of people mad at us and want to exact revenge. But we had an encyclopedic knowledge of the city, including a printout of the city map we made with labeled enterable buildings and other key locations like healthpacks and strategic areas. So we would just say, "Go to position 11" and we'd meet up at the same place. The goal was to get someone to chase us to these positions and hold out against them to the point of them rage quitting. So much fun. We were so good at it too until people started getting ridiculous with the helicopter guns.

I also briefly did GTAforums 16 vs LCPD here is an awesome video of what it was like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g2wqYXjcxE

Can't wait to get involved in the GTAV community.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Me and my friends used to stock up on as many weapons and armor as possible, and we'd load into an Ahnialator. Usually at this point in time in the games life no one had really mastered the ahnialators Guns yet, so you didn't have those asshats just wrecking everyone from the sky. However there were a lot of people that just ran around the streets killing anyone on site, so it became a kind of frenzy.

So we had our pilot position us on random rooftops or other locations and we would snipe opposing players. Ideally, we would get someone, or a group of people mad at us and want to exact revenge. But we had an encyclopedic knowledge of the city, including a printout of the city map we made with labeled enterable buildings and other key locations like healthpacks and strategic areas. So we would just say, "Go to position 11" and we'd meet up at the same place. The goal was to get someone to chase us to these positions and hold out against them to the point of them rage quitting. So much fun. We were so good at it too until people started getting ridiculous with the helicopter guns.

I also briefly did GTAforums 16 vs LCPD here is an awesome video of what it was like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g2wqYXjcxE

Can't wait to get involved in the GTAV community.

That video is great! We need a NeoGAF 16. You have my utter respect for knowing the city inside out. I still get lost.

MormaPope

Banned
Wow.

The San Andreas PS2 version has something called a trip skip, I failed the Madd Dogg mission where you have to chase OG Loc and when I restarted the mission it offered me a trip skip by pressing right on the d-pad. This happened to me on one of the missions in the PC version but I thought it was only in the PC version.

It basically cuts out long driving portions to get to the objective.

Trip skip can be used on these San Andreas missions:

OG Loc
Gray Imports
Madd Dogg's Rhymes
The Green Sabre
Badlands
Body Harvest
Lure
Papi Don't Screech
Photo Opportunity
Interdiction
You've Had Your Chips
Don Peyote
Freefall
Saint Mark's Bistro
Misappropriation
Cut Throat Business
Pursuit Farce

I managed to get the zero rc missions relatively easily but the flight school mission using the attack chopper to destroy the trucks was a pain in my ass until I switched to the first person camera.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
"i know a place at the edge of the red light district where we could lay low, but my hands is messed up so you better drive brother"

Those feels, so deep. :(

RIP Guru.

"i know a place at the edge of the red light district where we could lay low, but my hands is messed up so you better drive brother"

Those feels, so deep. :(

RIP Guru.

I was always kind of sad that 8-Ball disappeared completely from the story after you bomb da base
act II

But then, that seemed to be the way with GTA3 characters.

MormaPope

Banned
GTA III civilians were awesome because of how random they were. Hobo looking grandmas and pimps in purple suits would always be in the Red Light District. Pale big dude with orange hair with blue shorts and a blue Hawaiian shirt would be everywhere.

Top Bottom