• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto |OT| NO GIANT SHARKS

My Nostradamus prediction is: one will bomb horribly, and they'll lose in one shot all leverage they have with Take Two.
I think the last GTA is the one that doesn't make money (general philosophy for all entertainment, really).

That being said GTA V is pretty safe it seems to me. I know GI is saying reinvention of the formula and being all dramatic but I just don't see it that way. I think it's a good decision, a smart decision, but nothing earthshattering.

And the T2 relationship seems like a good one. Probably will end when personnel changes and the Housers don't want to deal with the new crew.

UrbanRats

I think the last GTA is the one that doesn't make money (general philosophy for all entertainment, really).

That being said GTA V is pretty safe it seems to me. I know GI is saying reinvention of the formula and being all dramatic but I just don't see it that way. I think it's a good decision, a smart decision, but nothing earthshattering.

And the T2 relationship seems like a good one. Probably will end when personnel changes and the Housers don't want to deal with the new crew.

I'm thinking if the GTA games keep selling, even if the new T2 staff kicks them, everyone in the game will be willing to publish them.
I guess the worst that can happen to them is the Housers being hit by a bus or something, i don't know how much of the cohesive leadership is resting on their shoulders, though, and how much is on Benzies and the other folks.

dreamfall

I'm thinking if the GTA games keep selling, even if the new T2 staff kicks them, everyone in the game will be willing to publish them.
I guess the worst that can happen to them is the Housers being hit by a bus or something, i don't know how much of the cohesive leadership is resting on their shoulders, though, and how much is on Benzies and the other folks.

There's a real shroud of mystery over at Rockstar that I love. Between the Housers very infrequently giving interviews, Benzies surfacing every now and then, Barrera appearing on GTTV, and Laslow saving masters, I love it.

I'm still wondering if they'll ever release their art compendium, and every Grand Theft Auto game, I'm completely surprised by how little we know about the development process/team/etc.

I do hope they do something for the Vita, and bring GTA V to the PC after a couple months. But knowing that the release date is solid, and that it's been a long time since IV has me hyped to no end!

Fjordson

A R* art book =O I want it. Now.

And yeah, the secrecy of R* is very interesting to me. Other than the Housers and Leslie Benzies and a few select others I really know nothing about the people there.

Remember Rob Nelson? He's been doing interviews for their last few games dating back to Red Dead. No clue what he actually does or which studio he's a part of. Just remember Game Trailers listing him as "Art Director" for a Max Payne 3 special.

Aaron Garbut also seems to be pretty integral to R*. At least with GTA. Worked on every GTA since III and his recent interviews for V seemed to indicate he has a pretty big role in the production of the series.

Jeronimo Barrera seems like a cool dude. I remember him coming onto 1UP Yours way back when Bully came out to talk about it. Though he's more like management I think or something, not really game production.

I'm currently playing through Ballad of Gay Tony, specifically the Drug War side missions and it made me think. The most important aspect of any of these games for me is the repeatable dynamic side missions. Drug War missions aren't the most varried example but they give just enough incentive to drive all over the city and engage in combat. Both the reward and the activities are what keep me playing far longer than the main story missions. I felt that RDR nailed it and I hope GTA V gets it right as well.

Going back to the discussion on the last page, it's really difficult to have a GTA set in anything other than a western, English speaking city. GTA really thrives on cultural references and breaking from either the US or the UK would present major challenges. The tricky thing with most major metropolitan areas in the US is that their criminal history is all pretty much the same, EXCEPT for New York, Miami, and California (and to an extent the world of 'the west' in RDR). Making a game set in any East Coast city with a crime narrative is essentially the same as making a New York city crime game. Miami represents enough of a disconnect from the NEw York crime narrative specifically because of the 1980s, but Miami in the 2000s+ is boring... THere is no crime narrative anymore, where as Miami in the 80s was arguably the most criminally involved city in the United States.

I think Rockstar will be challenged with VI. IT seems impossible that they wouldn't go back to Vice City, it's something that just about everybody wants. But, Vice City in the 'modern era' really woudn't have the same draw as Vice City in the 1980s.

It's impossible to accurately guess what will happen next with the series, not just after VI but even later than that. I'd imagine they'd probably reboot it and go for a different style. Something that could work could be a "Godfather"-esque story, following a family through multiple generations, from the Old Country, to the US under different time frames, think of "The Godfather Saga" that AMC puts on once a year, that tells the story chronologically, starting in Vito in Corleone Sicily, immigrating to New York, starting the criminal underworld, starting a family, having the business (and family) be taken over by his son, who then shifts the focus to Las Vegas.

Obviously it wouldn't have to follow that line, and would it be hard -- sure -- but Rockstar has proven that they can independently develop realistic game worlds, like Red Dead Redemption could very easily be a palette swap of the Italian countryside (hence 'Spagetti' Western as they were all shot in Italy, by Italians), and tying them together would be the challenge. It may never be possible given budgets and development time, but who knows what sort of developments we'll get to ease that process many years out.

Also, if Rockstar ever wanted to cash in, all they'd have to do with me is re-release Vice City with upgraded assets, gameplay mechanics, and tinker it with a few modifications, and they'd have an insta-sale.

I'm currently playing through Ballad of Gay Tony, specifically the Drug War side missions and it made me think. The most important aspect of any of these games for me is the repeatable dynamic side missions. Drug War missions aren't the most varried example but they give just enough incentive to drive all over the city and engage in combat. Both the reward and the activities are what keep me playing far longer than the main story missions. I felt that RDR nailed it and I hope GTA V gets it right as well.

Agreed there. I'm replaying RDR and the journal ambient sidequests are one of the best aspects of the game. The "treasure hunting" gives me motivation to travel back and forth all over the region, something that I never did in vanilla GTAIV.

El Daniel

Love this map

ESo.jpg

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It's alright. People on GAF are obsessed with it. If Rockstar is going to make a sequel to something I think it should be Manhunt 3.

So long as it doesn't suck as much as the second did, I'm all for it.

Yeah, and that's why i'm suggesting they create a spin off GTA series, so they explore thing outside of their comfort zone.
There's plenty of material to be had, poking fun at Brits and their stereotypes, as i'm sure there are for many other countries.
Sure American media is more international, but i think he's also blowing it out of proportion, it's not like you watch Trainspotting or Misfits and it's a completely alien world, when it comes to humor and trashiness, or you watch Sleepless Night or La Haine and you can see there's potential for good crime stories in France, too; but it would require them to exit their comfort zone of making fun of the gun-nuts, Hollywood starlets and such, to find new targets.
Yet, that's exactly why it would be exciting to move on from it.

And again, i'm suggesting a parallel spin off series, not a substitution.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I think it's a case of them wanting to stick to writing what they know more than anything.

This was added to the GTA V page:

"Los Santos: a sprawling sun-soaked metropolis full of self-help gurus, starlets and fading celebrities, once the envy of the Western world, now struggling to stay afloat in an era of economic uncertainty and cheap reality TV.

Amidst the turmoil, three very different criminals plot their own chances of survival and success: Franklin, a street hustler looking for real opportunities and serious money; Michael, a professional ex-con whose retirement is a lot less rosy than he hoped it would be; and Trevor, a violent maniac driven by the chance of a cheap high and the next big score. Running out of options, the crew risks everything in a series of daring and dangerous heists that could set them up for life.

The biggest, most dynamic and most diverse open world ever created, Grand Theft Auto V blends storytelling and gameplay in new ways as players repeatedly jump in and out of the lives of the game’s three lead characters, playing all sides of the game’s interwoven story.

All the classic hallmarks of the groundbreaking series return, including incredible attention to detail and Grand Theft Auto’s darkly humorous take on modern culture, alongside a brand new and ambitious approach to open world multiplayer".

Miami represents enough of a disconnect from the NEw York crime narrative specifically because of the 1980s, but Miami in the 2000s+ is boring... THere is no crime narrative anymore, where as Miami in the 80s was arguably the most criminally involved city in the United States.
This isn't really true.

While it's not nearly as crazy as it was in the 80s, Miami is still very much a home to crime. From the illegal drug running, meth, oxy, the handfuls of X handed out like candy in the clubs - the drug business is still going strong.

This all centering around a pretty sizable gang culture.

Just finished Ballad of Gay Tony for the first time. Really great piece of content. Has Rockstar mentioned anything about similar expansions for GTA V. I think they're a perfect way to get the most out of the giant locations they create but it's my understanding that they weren't as successful as they'd hoped.

bud23

dreamfall said:
I'm still wondering if they'll ever release their art compendium, and every Grand Theft Auto game, I'm completely surprised by how little we know about the development process/team/etc.

A R* art book =O I want it. Now.

They seem to be working on it, but ,as you already know, these things take time...

Rockstar asked & answered said:
“Hallo, does ‘The History of Rockstar Games’ book have a release date?” – @Gunslinga_M3 (via Twitter)

We aren’t writing a history book – we’re writing a book more about the games themselves, called Digital + Analogue: The Art and Science of Rockstar Games. We don’t have a release date yet, but the book is shaping up fantastically.

Yeah, S-O-O-N.

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...wered-max-payne-3-and-grand-theft-auto-v.html

Teknoman

Damn the blind samurai is so funny! Some Brian Fellows type stuff.
(Just started Ballad of Gay Tony, pretty good intro sequence)

Raptomex

Is anyone able to downgrade the Steam version of IV to 1.0.4.0 on Windows 8? I was unable to perform the downgrade.

Raptomex

So I got my issue of Game Informer and I'm reading through the GTA V article. Did anyone else notice they mentioned arms trafficking (assuming it's a side mission) and replayable missions? We can pull off the big heists anytime we want. I'm so hyped.

Fjordson

Apparently they'll be talking about GTAV's multiplayer "soon".

From their last Crews recap post.
I'm really curious what they have in store for MP. I mean all I really need personally is online free roam and maybe races, and I'd expect them to bring over a bunch of the other GTA IV and Red Dead modes with new improvements. But it seems like they have something else up their sleeve.

So I got my issue of Game Informer and I'm reading through the GTA V article. Did anyone else notice they mentioned arms trafficking (assuming it's a side mission) and replayable missions? We can pull off the big heists anytime we want. I'm so hyped.
I didn't know about that, that's great.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really curious what they have in store for MP. I mean all I really need personally is online free roam and maybe races, and I'd expect them to bring over a bunch of the other GTA IV and Red Dead modes with new improvements. But it seems like they have something else up their sleeve.

A Cops 'N' Crooks type mode where the crooks goal is to rob a bank and then escape with the loot. That'd be simply marvellous.

Raptomex

Hopefully Rockstar will unveil the website soon so we can see the entire map. Thanks to the people over at GTAForums we have this:
mapdet.png

Interestingly enough, the parts that meet together don't really add up. There has to be more. Assuming this is just Los Santos.

Gacha-pin

I didn't know about that, that's great.

I hope there are some multiplayers achievements you have to play free aim mode for a certain amount of time to unlock so that many people will play free aim......

Striker

While I wasn't a fan of the gameplay in GTA IV, I loved the free roam aspect. Hopefully with a bigger city and other areas to visit, it'll be more fun to play. Of course having planes helps too. Flying in Saints Row games is always fun times.

Fjordson

Yeah, the variety in terrain and vehicle variety should make online free roam pretty fun in V.

Are you guys getting one of the special editions? I really want the $150 one, but that's a bit expensive for me. Thinking I'll just go with the $80 version. I have a $78 gift card for GameStop from trading in some games a few months ago so that should work out perfectly :lol

Raptomex

Yeah, the variety in terrain and vehicle variety should make online free roam pretty fun in V.

Are you guys getting one of the special editions? I really want the $150 one, but that's a bit expensive for me. Thinking I'll just go with the $80 version. I have a $78 gift card for GameStop from trading in some games a few months ago so that should work out perfectly :lol
I'm getting the Collector's Edition for 360 and PS3. Already paid off both. When I went to GameStop today the dude working there wasn't even aware it was announced yet.

Fjordson

I'm getting the Collector's Edition for 360 and PS3. Already paid off both. When I went to GameStop today the dude working there wasn't even aware it was announced yet.
Damn, nice. I was thinking about getting both platforms, but eh. I'm just going to roll with 360 as usual. Just pray that version isn't shit.

And yeah, I was wondering if I should wait a day or two before pre-ordering at GameStop so they have it listed in their system or whatever. Not really sure, I haven't bought a game from somewhere other than Amazon in like four years.

Though both versions are already listed on GameStop's website so maybe I'll just order it on there and choose in-store pickup (I need that shit at midnight on 9/17 :lol)

Raptomex

Damn, nice. I was thinking about getting both platforms, but eh. I'm just going to roll with 360 as usual. Just pray that version isn't shit.

And yeah, I was wondering if I should wait a day or two before pre-ordering at GameStop so they have it listed in their system or whatever. Not really sure, I haven't bought a game from somewhere other than Amazon in like four years.

Though both versions are already listed on GameStop's website so maybe I'll just order it on there and choose in-store pickup (I need that shit at midnight on 9/17 :lol)
You can call GameStop and see if they have it instead wasting a trip. I didn't do that, I went on a hunch. Lol. I plan to keep the PS3 version unopened. I collect games in general and Rockstar is one of my favorite developers. I may order another 360 copy online. Not sure yet.

Ill be pretty disappointed if there aren't more outlying towns.

Although I thought IVs map was too big so the size of Los Santos doesn't worry me in the least.

Ill be pretty disappointed if there aren't more outlying towns.

Although I thought IVs map was too big so the size of Los Santos doesn't worry me in the least.
Of course there will be small towns. It's hard to keep such a large area of countryside interesting without them. Besides that there is Trevor who lives in one of them.

UrbanRats

Latest & greatest map speculation from GTAF:

9XtmDLV.jpg

I'm not liking the proportions here.

I want a bigger countryside and, as Bucket said, a few extra towns around (well, we already know there will be, since we've seen them).

The thing is, a large city seems HUGE, but a forest or a desert of the same size does not convey a sense of desolation strong enough, for obvious reason.

Well we've seen what... Blaine County, Grapeseed, and Sandy Shores?
Actually I think BC is just the catch all name for the countryside.

They're all pretty small.

It'd be really cool if there was some sort of bigger town/sub-city.

Malibu is like the Hollywood Hills except beachfront. Really not much to it.

The feeling of going from point A to point B was great in SA. It'd be nice to have something kind of holding the countryside together, anchoring it.

Milchjon

I'm pissed that the blimp is a preorder bonus. That's the dumbest thing I've heard.

I wonder if I can even get it over here.

Fjordson

I want to know if that's the only blimp in the game or just a unique one they're giving you access to right away as a bonus. That'd be weird if blimps simply didn't exist because you didn't pre-order.

Raptomex

Someone on GTAForums posted some info from a preview for GTA V from Absolute Games (AG).

The game was officially shown to the Russian media on the 23rd of May. Many facts were already known, but here is some (new?) info from the Absolute Games (AG) web-site:

- The minimap is rectangular and many will find it difficult to use. It is not flat and has a slight angle to it, like many satnavs.
- There will be about 460 vehicles in the game. Some of them will be unique and will not be seen in the streets.
- There will be hidden packages. No idea what they will look like and how many of them there will be. You can use the dog to help you find it.
- The map is enormous and includes many underwater locations. R* claims it will take 2.5 hours to travel from one end of the map to another on a train.
- In the character selector wheel Michael is on the left, Trevor at the top, Franklin on the right and at the bottom is the player for a multiplayer.
- There is no collision damage at the moment. There was no damage to vehicles during the demo, so it is either being worked on and wasn't started yet.
- The graphics look like RDR. The blur (I think that's what they meant, they said blyur) is gone and replaced by fog.
- The game will be followed by updates and upgrades.

ADDED
- The map looks very colourful compared to GTA IV
- Tourists can be seen walking and fishing in the forest and talk to the protagonist
- There are red, blue and yellow indicator near the map. Possibly health etc, but R* didn't comment
- They didn't see a recurring ped throughout the whole demo
- You can destroy a car with 10 bullets shot in any part of the car. This is probably still in a development.
This could all be fake according to someone over there. I don't know, I don't speak Russian.

UrbanRats

Probably legit, since some of those check out with the other previews (peds fishing, squared tilted minimap, red blue and yellow bars etc).
Also, i doubt they still have to completely implement car damages, since we already saw them in the trailers, they probably just switched them off for that specific demo, for some reason, maybe a bug that was giving them problems.
Anyhow it's not something you implement 4 months from release.

Fjordson

Hope they didn't overthink the minimap. Like trying to mimic GPS or something. The flat minimap is simple but it works fine.

Pretty sure I remember some other preview from earlier this month also mentioning that the new minimap looked weird.

Top Bottom