• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto series has sold over 220 million units worldwide

Dicer

Banned
Did you know that Grand Theft Auto 5 released in September 2013 and since then has sold 54 million units across 5 platforms.

On the other hand there have only been 42 million units sold across ALL Wii U game releases since September 2013.

The ultimate in Nintendo shitting, nice work.

Why bring up them up in here?

Powercast

Really well deserved, have been playing the franchise since GTA 1.

After 2 years it's still mindblowing what they achieved on V. I'm playing it for the 2nd time and still discovering tons of new stuff.

Tigress

Takes too many resources to make, I guess--- why spend money making a quality SP component when you can make money on virtual currency for people to re-buy assets already in the single player game.

From a business perspective, I see why they keep pushing GTA Online content.

From a personal perspective, it disappoints me so, because I loved both GTA IV expansions dearly, especially TBoGT.

And the worst part is, there are so many areas in San Andreas that the artists clearly spent a shitload of time on, but never received any love with quests/story arcs utilizing said locations-- at least in a meaningful way (I'm looking at you prison, Power Plant & Fort Zancudo!!).

All that said, if the lack of SP content is because team members have shifted to RDR2 making it as quality a product as GTAV, then all is forgiven.

I agree with this. That being said, R* ain't getting any money from me for their online stuff. I refuse to pay for MTs on a game I already paid for (plus I really dislike how MTs influence game design and yes, you can see where they made online feel a bit grindy to encourage you to pay for MTs. I bet online would have had some better game design if they weren't trying to encourage MT purchasing. Like not charging anyone for blowing up some one's car).

But... I'd totally buy GTA V single player DLC. So, here's some money they are missing out on by focusing on online content and not SP content.

D.Lo

That's a lot of GTA5.

But for the rest, something doesn't add up.

There are seven main GTA titles (five numbered plus VC and SA), plus Chinatown Wars, LCS and VCS. Everything else is add-on packs/DLC. That means after the top two, either the others games have sold 17+ million each on average (extremely unlikely for the likes of VCS and CW and does not make sense of sales data we have), or:

1) They're counting DLC downloads as individual sales

2) Cheap mobile versions of old games made up the numbers

Most likely both.

Non-retail sales are pretty hard to verify these days anyway. What counts as a sale, even $1 for a retro download on sale in an app store? Not exactly fair to lump that in as the same thing as full retail game sales.

That's just about the worst list I've ever seen. Tetris is at the top based on a press release about a combination of multiple mobile titles, from 2010!

ZhugeEX

Banned
That's a lot of GTA5.

But for the rest, something doesn't add up.

There are seven main GTA titles (five numbered plus VC and SA), plus Chinatown Wars, LCS and VCS. Everything else is add-on packs/DLC. That means after the top two, either the others games have sold 17+ million each on average (extremely unlikely for the likes of VCS and CW and does not make sense of sales data we have), or:

1) They're counting DLC downloads as individual sales

2) Cheap mobile versions of old games made up the numbers

Most likely both.

Since GTA5 launched there have been an additional ~85 million units sold in the series.

We know 54 million is attributed to GTA5 which means that an additional ~31 million units of GTA have been sold since September 2013.

This will have been attributed to older games, PC sales and Mobile sales.

I would therefore assume that Mobile makes up the majority of that 31 million, (GTA3, VC, SA, CTW)

D.Lo

Since GTA5 launched there have been an additional ~85 million units sold in the series.

We know 54 million is attributed to GTA5 which means that an additional 31 million units of GTA have been sold since September 2013.

This will have been attributed to older games, PC sales and Mobile sales.
Exactly. I bought GTA3 on sale for I think 99c on iPhone, mostly as a curiosity of playing a PS2 game on my phone. And that's counted here.

I mean yes technically it's a game sale so I can't argue, but it's truly not the same thing in reality as full retail sales.

I do think they're most likely also counting DLC as 'game sales', which is a bit less legit IMO, although GTA4 DLC did get disc releases.

54M copies of GTAV. Jesus.

No wonder R* has the free reign to take years to make these games, the series is a behemoth and hasn't shown signs of slowing yet.

ymgve

Well I bought it three times (PS3, PS4 then PC) and I'm not alone, so that could explain part of that number.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Exactly. I bought GTA3 on sale for I think 99c on iPhone, mostly as a curiosity of playing a PS2 game on my phone. And that's counted here.

I mean yes technically it's a game sale so I can't argue, but it's truly not the same thing in reality as full retail sales.

I do think they're most likely also counting DLC as 'game sales', which is a bit less legit IMO, although GTA4 DLC did get disc releases.

Me too haha, I think I've just played it once.

But I don't think they're counting DLC, especially when you look into how Take Two usually report numbers.

Just full game retail releases and full game digital downloads. Whether that be on Console, PC or Mobile. Expansion packs would count, but not actual DLC.

DLC wouldn't come under that.

Gurish

These are amazing numbers, not just by GTA but also any other big franchise by T2, how can you explain why they are losing money if sales are better than ever?

Rockstar's success really makes you wonder what they're going to make next. I mean, look at what they have focused on the last three years:

2013: GTA V

2014: GTA V (New Gen)

2015: GTA V (Heists/PC)

Even then, Rockstar has traditionally focused on one game a year, but they've really stretched GTA V! What I don't understand is why Strauss Zelnick has denied Story DLC, because that would be sure to sell quite a bit. Have Take-Two changed their position since then?

Take Two is my number one favorite publisher ever. Every single game that has come out of them, I owned and ad crappy ad some of their policies and support for certain games are.... This is well deserved. To me, there's just no one who makes truly fun games like them.

Rockstar's success really makes you wonder what they're going to make next. I mean, look at what they have focused on the last three years:

2013: GTA V

2014: GTA V (New Gen)

2015: GTA V (Heists/PC)

Even then, Rockstar has traditionally focused on one game a year, but they've really stretched GTA V! What I don't understand is why Strauss Zelnick has denied Story DLC, because that would be sure to sell quite a bit. Have Take-Two changed their position since then?

Zelnick did flub that question during the conference call. The company later issued a statement retracting what he said.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/05/20/gta-v-story-dlc-is-on-its-way-after-all-says-take-two-5206323/

Village

Did you know that Grand Theft Auto 5 released in September 2013 and since then has sold 54 million units across 5 platforms.

On the other hand there have only been 42 million units sold across ALL Wii U game releases since September 2013.

Shieeeeeeeet

Would Agent count as an "unannounced new IP" if it is to be re-revealed? I still have hope lol If it doesn't happen we can always wait for Bully 2.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Would Agent count as an "unannounced new IP" if it is to be re-revealed? I still have hope lol If it doesn't happen we can always wait for Bully 2.

It's not a new IP (well it could be). It's just an unannounced AAA game.

So it could be a new IP or a sequel or something else.

Yes it could be Agent. Yes it could be Red Dead Redemption 2. Yes it could be Grand Theft Auto 6. Yes it could be Borderlands 3.

Zelnick did flub that question during the conference call. The company later issued a statement retracting what he said.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/05/20/gta-v-story-dlc-is-on-its-way-after-all-says-take-two-5206323/

It's interesting reading that, as I forgot about the mention of new assassinations and flight school missions as part of story mode! My guess based on the information would be that the scope of their story DLC has expanded and has probably caused significant delays (much like how rockstar said they had to go back to the drawing board for heists).

It's not a new IP (well it could be). It's just an unannounced AAA game.

So it could be a new IP or a sequel or something else.

Yes it could be Agent. Yes it could be Red Dead Redemption 2. Yes it could be Grand Theft Auto 6. Yes it could be Borderlands 3.

I don't think Rockstar would be developing Borderlands. Isn't that done by Gearbox usually under 2K? I also don't think well see a new GTA until the end of this generation, and if it's Agent, it probably will be different from the original concept in a but the name. I predict Rockstar to probably make a new Red Dead, Bully, or New IP altogether (in that order of likelihood).

ZhugeEX

Banned
I don't think Rockstar would be developing Borderlands. Isn't that done by Gearbox usually under 2K? I also don't think well see a new GTA until the end of this generation, and if it's Agent, it probably will be different from the original concept in a but the name. I predict Rockstar to probably make a new Red Dead, Bully, or New IP altogether (in that order of likelihood).

I'm just saying it could be anything.

At this point we don't know.

Top Bottom