• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto The Trilogy: The Definitive Edition announced, all consoles and PC in 2021 and mobile in 2022

R6Rider

Gold Member
I don't really understand this. These games are already available on modern consoles. What's actually new here?
Rockstar:
Reaction GIF

TheMan

worst kept recent secret. But honestly who wants this. These games have been re-released on so many damn platforms, jesus. They just keep rehashing the same shit over and over

Rob_27

Hopefully they still have most of the great tunes and radio stations without sensoring or changing them.

What are the prices you think?

Tempted for switch or xbox but maybe feel a little strange not playing them on PS. But I've still got some collection for OG xbox somewhere.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Even with 0 expectation, I’m disappointed.

Switch would be one thing if it was a seriously stripped back product, but the presence of mobile confirms that these are just ports.

Rockstar are dead in my opinion. I have no interest in 10+ year waits between instalments and stripped back, fun deprived Online geared towards MTX.

Lognor

Banned
Switch too, huh? Very cool. I'm curious how that would sell. That exclusive GTA game to GBA (?) bombed I recall. Seems like Nintendo console owners aren't big GTA fans. Maybe that's changed with the Switch.

After their vexatious litigations towards GTA engine modders, I will be putting the wallet away and giving this a pass for moment. Slimy behaviour from Take-Two, at best.

JimboJones

Switch too, huh? Very cool. I'm curious how that would sell. That exclusive GTA game to GBA (?) bombed I recall. Seems like Nintendo console owners aren't big GTA fans. Maybe that's changed with the Switch.
Dunno about GTA Advance but China town wars flopped on DS but I think it also flopped harder on PSP so it was probably more to do with the style of the game just not being popular at the time.
Probably just felt like a "dumbed down" version to most people used to GTA 3 style games.

It's like no one in this thread understands that Unreal Engine is scalable? What even is this?

It's wild to see so much negativity constantly. Doesn't matter what it is, what's been announced, what has been released etc, it'll be shit on. Every single thread is filled with so much nonsense and vitriol.

Despite knowing next to nothing about the games, so far in this thread we've had people "guarantee" that it will be woke with cut content, that there will be no improvements, that it's a filthy cash grab. Rockstar has been told to "shut the fuck up"(?), that they're "cowards" for not showing gameplay RIGHT NOW (despite the announcement saying stay tuned, more will be shown jn the next few weeks).

Skifi28

It makes sense they are doing this.

The PS2 ones are ancient, why would anyone play this?
The PS2 ones are very cheap, you can get them at 5 euros or so on sale. I imagine they'd prefer you paid full price for the trilogy instead, it's not like the new versions are going to be "modern".

skit_data

Kinda confusing they’re calling it GTA Trilogy when it doesn’t include the first 2 games. I guess GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas is a trilogy as well but it still sounds wrong to call it the GTA Trilogy.

skit_data

I never played San Andreas so I'm down for that one.
San Andreas was the last GTA I played from start to end. The setting is awesome, The tone is awesome, the music is awesome and I remember that it was possible to put your own mp3 files in a folder to get a personal playlist. Best times.

THEAP99

Banned
I have extremely low expectations for this. It being ported to mobile tells me this will likely be lazy quick cash-grab

cragarmi

If they don't take any really advantage of the next gen consoles then I might opt for the switch version, playing these on the go could be worth the resolution sacrifice.

cragarmi

Kinda confusing they’re calling it GTA Trilogy when it doesn’t include the first 2 games. I guess GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas is a trilogy as well but it still sounds wrong to call it the GTA Trilogy.
It was called the trilogy when it launched on OGXbox.

You'd be surprised at how many people think the GTA series starts with 3. I remember once some guy trying to explain it to me like "it's called 3 because you steal three cars" or something equally dumb lmao

But yeah, I'd love to have a remastered collection of GTA 1+2. I never got to play the GTA1 London expansion either so throw that in there too!

Metnut

Not sure why people are concerned that it’s going to mobile. The last few generations of phones are stronger than the switch.

Notabueno

Banned
What are people complaining the fuck for? It's Rockstar, one of the greediest company that has milked GTA until the blood and you're surprised that those are just ports for consoles? They milked GTA V for 8 years now, why would they enhance or put any money into a trilogy that could sell as a simple port?

Also they've been on Steam forever, so what are PC owner complaining about?

k5yxgsL.png

8BiTw0LF

Banned
So just an up rez then.
Well, they ditched the old RenderWare engine and remade all 3 games in UE4, so it's a remake - not a remaster.

Think people will be pretty stoked for the fidelity and performance - especially on PC and current-gen. Hell, even my One Plus 8 Pro eats UE4 for breakfast, so I'll probably double dip.

ManaByte

What are people complaining the fuck for? It's Rockstar, one of the greediest company that has milked GTA until the blood and you're surprised that those are just ports for consoles? They milked GTA V for 8 years now, why would they enhance or put any money into a trilogy that could sell as a simple port?

Also they've been on Steam forever, so what are PC owner complaining about?

k5yxgsL.png

They're being delisted from Steam.

Top Bottom