• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grandia HD Collection (Switch) coming August 16, eShop only

Meesh

Its impossible to justify this. I paid 5.99 CAD for grandia 1 on ps3/vita years ago and I could easily buy grandia 2 on pc for dirt cheap. Man you if you buy this you're part of the problem.

The fact that they held the price until the eleventh hour shows that they really don't respect the suckers who are buying this.
To be honest there's just some games I'll buy again no matter what.
Monster Hunter
Zelda
Animal crossing
Mario Kart...
And for me Grandia is on the list among so many others I buy whenever theres a re release or a new one.

The fact that they held the price until the eleventh hour shows that they really don't respect the suckers who are buying this.

You can count me as one of the suckers that they don't respect, as I'll be buying it. I love Grandia, and I'm willing to pay. I certainly understand some not wanting to do so as well though.

Last edited:

Sejan

Hopefully, I can hold out for a sale. I’d love to pick it up for $20, but I can’t swing it for $40.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I just want Grandia II though. I can still play the Grandia 1 on my Vita. :p

Last edited:

Murr

Give me a physical release and i might think about it. but 40 Euros for a digital release? No thanks.

Reactions: TLZ

Quasicat

When Grandia II came out originally on Dreamcast it came out really close to Skies if Arcadia. I bought both and played the first hour of each to see which got my interest the most. Grandia II is fun, but I went straight to Skies of Arcadia first. I will pick this up again, but not at $40. It’ll be on my wish list for awhile.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Can we stop calling company pricing "greedy"? Its a business, you price things at whatever price you determine will result in most profit. Period.

That doesn't mean this price isn't too high. Time will tell.

Your point is irrelevant. Of course they can price it however they like, but that doesn't make it less greedy in this case! I've yet to see anything that calls for this price tag.

You may stop calling them greedy all you want and pretend it doesn't matter to you, but I won't. I rather voice my concerns than shut up about it.

Animagic

Banned
Maybe if M2 or someone that knew what they were doing ported these, I would pay $40 USD, and there was a bunch of cool display options and extras... no way in hell am I paying $40 for something this pedestrian. And I’m absolutely in the target market for something like this.

Grandia deserves so much better than this. Extremely disappointing.

Vawn

Banned
Your point is irrelevant. Of course they can price it however they like, but that doesn't make it less greedy in this case! I've yet to see anything that calls for this price tag.

You may stop calling them greedy all you want and pretend it doesn't matter to you, but I won't. I rather voice my concerns than shut up about it.

You voice your concerns by not purchasing it. If enough people don't buy it, the price is too high. If almost everyone who bought it would have paid more, the price is too low. There's no greed involved, just business.

Lupin3

You voice your concerns by not purchasing it. If enough people don't buy it, the price is too high. If almost everyone who bought it would have paid more, the price is too low. There's no greed involved, just business.

And by saying it's greedy. Because it is. Just like it's generous when developers are giving away games for free. Business can at times be the actual definition of greed.

I own this game on Steam but if I remember correctly it doesn't support controllers for some reason so I might pick it up on the Switch to play there instead. Pretty pumped since even my wife says Grandia 2 is "fucking amazing".

Vawn

Banned
You mean we can't voice our concerns on a discussion forum as well?

I guess you can, but to what end? These companies don't (or shouldn't) care if you "like" a price - just whether or will buy it or not.

Lol, digital only. Come on, if you're willing to charge me $30 for it then at least offer me a physical version. I'd buy it even if it were more expensive!

I guess you can, but to what end? These companies don't (or shouldn't) care if you "like" a price - just whether or will buy it or not.

Sick of this tired excuse. You know these companies also don't care about the fact that you defend them and make excuses for them, right?

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
It annoys me when people are complaining about the price of one of the Greatest games of all time. you are not worthy.
I’m content to wait and see if gungho took massive shits all over one of the greatest games of all time or not. If you blindly accept a subpar cash grab, then who is truly not worthy?

Zog

Banned

To the end that consumers can talk about it amongst themselves. Is it that it's ok to talk about the price of a game if you like it but not ok to talk about the price if you don't like it?

The Snake

$40? Maybe if it was physical. Even then, $30 is more reasonable.

This should be like, $15 tops. I don't care that it's two games; I can get them cheaper elsewhere (and I own 'em already anyway).

EDarkness

I was going to get this, but I think I'll hold out as I have the original Saturn version of Grandia 1 and the Dreamcast version of Grandia 2. If this had a physical release, then I would have picked it up on day one, but blowing 8GB on this is not something I really want to do right now. Ended up spending the money on Oninaki JP physical version as I think I'd like to have that instead. I'll keep an eye out for impressions, too. Like does this Grandia release have the Saturn bonus disc stuff included as well?

ExpandKong

Banned
And by saying it's greedy. Because it is. Just like it's generous when developers are giving away games for free. Business can at times be the actual definition of greed.

Lol. Massive corporations giving away free anything isn’t generous.

If a company is giving you a thing or providing a service for free, that thing/service isn’t the product they’re selling - you are.

Let’s stop pretending any of these companies, big or small, does anything for any reason other than their bottom line.

Vawn

Banned
Let’s stop pretending any of these companies, big or small, does anything for any reason other than their bottom line.

Exactly. Nor should they be expected to do so.

Even things that seem to be done for charity are made with bottom-line in mind. Free game updates are done for good-will because that builds customer trust which ultimately leads to be better profits.

Microsoft built their accessibility controller. What did they do next? They spent a ton of money on a huge advertising campaign patting themselves on the back. Even things like this begin and end with the goal of making the most profit for the company. Whether it's directly or indirectly is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Lupin3

Lol. Massive corporations giving away free anything isn’t generous.

If a company is giving you a thing or providing a service for free, that thing/service isn’t the product they’re selling - you are.

In order to make your point valid, you create a narrow premiss based on "massive corporations" and services. Let's stop pretending these are the only examples of "free" today (the last game I got for free had zero MTX in it, and wasn't bound to either a client or service). And just because there is personal gain involved doesn't automatically make it "not generous" in every case.

Now, let's not derail this thread any further.

Last edited:

FranXico

Exactly. Nor should they be expected to do so.

Even things that seem to be done for charity are made with bottom-line in mind. Free game updates are done for good-will because that builds customer trust which ultimately leads to be better profits.

Microsoft built their accessibility controller. What did they do next? They spent a ton of money on a huge advertising campaign patting themselves on the back. Even things like this begin and end with the goal of making the most profit for the company. Whether it's directly or indirectly is irrelevant.
There's nothing wrong with that either. That's just how business functions.

ExpandKong

Banned
In order to make your point valid, you create a narrow premiss based on "massive corporations" and services. Let's stop pretending these are the only examples of "free" today (the last game I got for free had zero MTX in it, and wasn't bound to either a client or service). And just because there is personal gain involved doesn't automatically make it "not generous" in every case.

Now, let's not derail this thread any further.

Oh yes thank you daddy mmmmm

psygn0sis

GungHo and Game Arts should talk to Square Enix about Grandia III, SE ported this on PS3 as a PS2 Classic luckly but Grandia Collection seems really incomplete without Xtreme and 3 :|

Probably not coming today in Europe. The store's been updated but no Grandia. Weird because they said it would release here too.

Edit: Whoop, it's up.

Last edited:
It annoys me when people are complaining about the price of one of the Greatest games of all time. you are not worthy.

But I thought this was a Grandia HD remaster thread, and not a Final Fantasy VI thread, or a Lost Odyssey thread, or a ______ thread, or...

Rat Rage

I'm a huge Grandia ( Grandia #1 that is), but I'm super dissapointed in this "HD remaster", so mch so, that I won't buy it.

They've had a unique chance to produce something truly amazing by remastering Grandia, which is one of the top 5 RPGS ever made, to the delight of longtime fans and new ones who never played the game, YET they completely fucked it up!

It would've been enought if they at least got on par with the orgiinal Saturn version at it's much sharper in-battle backgrounds, but nope, the "HD remaster" worse (which means blurrier) than the Playstation 1 version.

The dissapointment is off the roof with this one!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It’s out today on Switch, right? Anyone try it yet?

Good to see it’s hitting PC relatively soon... hopefully, it comes to GOG, too. Grandia II did, and I want a DRM-free copy of the first game, too.

Cattlyst

The price is a slap in the face for anyone who thought this might release at a budget of say $20 or so. The people saying they'll pay the $40 regardless are the reason that Switch Tax continues to be a thing.

It’s out today on Switch, right? Anyone try it yet?

Good to see it’s hitting PC relatively soon... hopefully, it comes to GOG, too. Grandia II did, and I want a DRM-free copy of the first game, too.

Well I'm on it currently (Grandia 1 that is). Only at the beginning though. The opening FMV has these weird blur borders on each side, seems like a stylistic choice? The cinematic after it did not and it looked quite nice. But I can say the text, character pics, sprites all seem crisp to me, the environment seems fine in the opening town. Sound is good. I have to say though, I've never played the PS1 or Saturn version of this game, so I can't give you an apt comparison or anything I can only tell you what I'm seeing and I'm playing in handheld mode. It seems fine so far, I'll report back if anyone wants me to as I get further in.

Also on Japanese dub and I'm certain the guy with the eyepatch in the beginning has this cat's voice actor:

Last edited:
Top Bottom