• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grandia HD Collection (Switch) coming August 16, eShop only

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I don't see options to turn any filters on or off.

That's... concerning. I mean... it doesn't actually look like this, does it:

ss_160fc3167ad7887f79a82c16c3ce41c6e67def7a.1920x1080.jpg

Because holy shit, that's SuperEagle taken to its logical extreme.

Widescreen is cool, original VA is cool... but I'm really, really not down for that level of sprite smearing.

Widescreen is cool, original VA is cool... but I'm really, really not down for that level of sprite smearing.

SBcPozd.jpg

LcclxHD.jpg

jVlaXvi.jpg

These are straight from my Switch. It looks a bit better in motion, but this is about what you get.

dAtaSTaTic

Neo Member
I will say one thing positive about this. AT LEAST YOU CAN READ THE TEXT IN HANDHELD MODE (hello Fire Emblem and Marvel UA3) . My eyesight is not the best (had to buy one of those stupid magnifiers just to play Fire Emblem) so this is very much appreciated. £36 is till a massive piss take though.

Teslerum

I always wonder why devs go for the shittiest filters/shaders when doing these remasters. I mean, there are much better algorithms around now.

Worse if they don't give options.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I always wonder why devs go for the shittiest filters/shaders when doing these remasters. I mean, there are much better algorithms around now.

Worse if they don't give options.

That, and I somehow doubt that the actual audience for remasters like this is demanding that developers bowdlerize the original art. Really hoping that the PC version has an option for point scaling.

KàIRóS

They actually got the aspect ratio to widescreen for the FMVs, I totally wasn't expecting to see those remastered.

To everyone playing Grandia 1 for the first time do yourselves a favor and choose japanese VA, the english VA is really bad.

The Hard Mode on Grandia 2 is a nice addition, that game really suffered for being too easy, now at least it feels really important to keep canceling enemy turns.

I hope I can beat these 2 before Astral Chain comes out, I guess I'll focus on Grandia 1 since I've replayed Grandia 2 so many times now.

Teslerum

Yeah, but the sprites are still smeared to hell.

IMO the sprites on that look decent. Nowhere near the grandia 2 ones. But then again, I think XBRZ is a great filter as far as sprite filters go and captures a lot of detail.

Not the point though as A: Filters are of your own choosing in emulators and imo should be so in remasters as well. and B: Xenogears has lots of 3D elements compared to Grandia 2 and does benefit a lot. (Doubly so on those 3D elements because you don't have the jittery textures of the PS1)

Last edited:
I'm about at the end of Grandia 1 and well, here's some more details on it for anyone interested.

If you choose the JP dub, the characters will switch to the English dub for some bizarre reason whenever you use an item in combat.
Someone mentioned the FMVs being in widescreen, but they are only that because of weird borders on each side that look like mist, so it's essentially still in the original aspect ratio.
The non FMV cutscenes are blown up making them horribly pixelated, it's hard to believe they didn't have a higher source quality to use since these are not even DVD quality really.
The game jammed on me a few times when saving, only one ended up in a crash though.
The music skips during a loop, not sure if this is also the case in the original
The boss theme is oddly doubled up, since I never played the game before it just sounded weird but after verifying on Youtube, it does indeed seem to be playing twice over one another.
The dub has also not been cleaned up at all, the quality is very...N64
Probably obvious as there has been (seemingly) fairly little effort put into this port, but no text or dialogue has been altered if you go with the JP dub. As in, the speech in the game is just from the original localisation so if you were hoping for it to be more true to the source, I shall dash it here.
During a late game speech by a certain character, the subs are missing.

I'm sure there's more issues but all in all, I would not get this for Grandia 1 at least, if you have a PSP, PSV or PS3 (or PS1 or Saturn but those physical copies are probably quite expensive) it's likely a better idea to go for those unless you really value having it on your Switch.

It's a low tier port as in they don't seem to have done anything at a source level with it, it really is just the game with a filter slapped onto it and the transfer to the Switch has not been kind to it with all the errors present.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm about at the end of Grandia 1 and well, here's some more details on it for anyone interested.

If you choose the JP dub, the characters will switch to the English dub for some bizarre reason whenever you use an item in combat.
Someone mentioned the FMVs being in widescreen, but they are only that because of weird borders on each side that look like mist, so it's essentially still in the original aspect ratio.
The non FMV cutscenes are blown up making them horribly pixelated, it's hard to believe they didn't have a higher source quality to use since these are not even DVD quality really.
The game jammed on me a few times when saving, only one ended up in a crash though.
The music skips during a loop, not sure if this is also the case in the original
The boss theme is oddly doubled up, since I never played the game before it just sounded weird but after verifying on Youtube, it does indeed seem to be playing twice over one another.

I'm sure there's more issues but all in all, I would not get this for Grandia 1 at least, if you have a PSP, PSV or PS3 (or PS1 or Saturn but those physical copies are probably quite expensive) it's likely a better idea to go for those unless you really value having it on your Switch.

It's a low tier port as in they don't seem to have done anything at a source level with it, it really is just the game with a filter slapped onto it and the transfer to the Switch has not been kind to it with all the errors present.
Thanks for the first hand account!

It makes me sad though, I had really low expectations but this still sounds really disappointing.

PSDxRBP.gif

Thanks for the first hand account!

It makes me sad though, I had really low expectations but this still sounds really disappointing.

PSDxRBP.gif

No problem!

I might have been a tad more forgiving if it were half the price or less, like you could at least make an argument that it's nice to have on your Switch for whatever reason, but looking at what you get for 40 bucks here it's really quite shameful.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken

Probably obvious as there has been (seemingly) fairly little effort put into this port, but no text or dialogue has been altered if you go with the JP dub. As in, the speech in the game is just from the original localisation so if you were hoping for it to be more true to the source, I shall dash it here.

No problem!

I might have been a tad more forgiving if it were half the price or less, like you could at least make an argument that it's nice to have on your Switch for whatever reason, but looking at what you get for 40 bucks here it's really quite shameful.
Thanks for the impressions. Yeah, it’s $60 here in Oz, so I think I’ll wait until a 50% off sale at least.

Damn shame.

Shouta

Sounds like it's just better to pick up the PSX version and play that for G1. There's an edit with the Japanese voice overs out there too if you want to support the game and then not play it with the English VAs, lol.

On that note, hearing the JP voices in Grandia for the first time made me realize a huge part of what made the English dub for Grandia bad was that they didn't change the line timing between the versions. The English dub is synched to the Japanese version's cadence. Pretty much everything got mangled because of that.

Been playing my ripped discs on EPSXE with the PsxFX v13 Fixed Shader set to medium. Looks wayyyy better @ PSX aspect ratio.
Bonus points to those who can guess what this place is and what's it's significance is as well!

FXqxQdi.png

Last edited:
I just saw then end credits roll by. The after credit scene also doesn't have subs outside of a small bit where there's a text box. It's fucking incredible how lazy this is. But I think I get why, the fmv's are probably easy to code subs on (I mean it's just video footage, even I could do that, literally) but during in-game scenes you would actually have to code that into the game, right? They really didn't do a fucking thing to this at the source.

Oh well, guess that'll be all for now since I'm off to Astral Chain. I hope Grandia 2 will be playable at least.

Top Bottom