• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

So is there anything to look forward to graphically yet? Spider man 2 and hellblade 2 are the only things I’ve seen footage of that look properly “next gen” and were in year three - and Who knows how they’ll actually look, anything I’m missing?

Ratchet and Clank and horizon are the only games that have moderately impressed me but I expected more

Hunnybun

Forspoken is a pretty game. The lighting, foliage, and vistas in the open world is really nice. There's a nice draw distance. Particle effects are top notch.

The problem is it doesn't look anywhere close to as good as what initially presented to us. It's that simple really. Shouldn't be a surprise why so many people are down on its visuals. Then there are the many little visual inaccuracies that DF pointed out, the fact that RT does absolutely nothing, and the somewhat disappointing performance. The character model herself in gameplay is also disappointing. Low detail on her face compared to trailers. When are games going to start having better I'm game models anyway?

No it just looks shit. Compared to something like Horizon it's a complete embarrassment.

CGNoire

Anyone playing Dead Space Remake who can confirm if it even includes the volumetric fluid dynamics for smoke they showed off in dev diaries or was that more Marketing Lies?

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
There was nothing in the screenshots posted that looks any different than the PS4 ver. The fact that you already assume its been modded further proves the posters point.
The screenshots from HR2 are not in game screenshots from the XBO or PS4 versions of Arkham Knight which targeted 30fps on console and uses lower quality textures and shadows than the PC version.

The footage they showed last night of Suicide Squad is running at 60fps on a PS5 (from a 1080p stream filled with macro blocking and other artefacts no less). I’m guessing you already know they can add up to 4x the visual features when targeting 30fps instead of 60fps.

It will be interesting to compare good quality actual in game console screenshots of both games when they release because that’s what the discussion is about, the leap between console generations. I’m sure there will be certain scenes in SS that blow AK away and others that don’t look as good as AK.

I know one thing I’m super let down by SS in terms of what looks to be it’s core gameplay loop. It looks like a generic third person looter shooter even if they’ve backtracked after that genre imploded and took the loot out and tried to pass it off as a more narrative based game. Really disappointed.

H . R . 2

The screenshots from HR2 are not in game screenshots from the XBO or PS4 versions of Arkham Knight which targeted 30fps on console and uses lower quality textures and shadows than the PC version.
I specifically mentioned they were captured on my own PS4, and I took them from my own library
also they are all in-game
the only ones not in-game [as in gameplay] are the ones with BATMAN and NIGHTWING in the showcase mode [view mode] where models are 1:1 in terms of detail
unless you're implying I am not being truthful, which is really sad, if so

[I did not even own a decent PC to run it back then] LOL

Last edited:

Arioco

It's kind of an apples to oranges comparison since these games aim for different scope and styles that would impact visual output beyond framerate differences, but I think Doom is easily one of the best looking games from last gen and manages an impressive scale and detail, and a level of action that's beyond the other two games in moment to moment gameplay.

anyone who claims this isn't technically impressive or that it looks like a 360 game is simply a moron, regardless of subjective "personal standards".

The game is a looker, no doubt. One of the best looking ganes from last gen for sure. And on current gen machines it adds extra eye candy.

Besides, it's not just a pretty face, Doom Eternal is fun as hell (no pun intended). Id Software has some of the best tech in the business right now. One of the best studios MS just got. I hope DOOM franchise will continue to launch on PlayStation consoles, it would be a shame if it didn't. I don't give a shit about Call of Duty to be honest, but this one would be a huge loss for PlayStation.

CGNoire

The footage they showed last night of Suicide Squad is running at 60fps on a PS5 (from a 1080p stream filled with macro blocking and other artefacts no less). I’m guessing you already know they can add up to 4x the visual features when targeting 30fps instead of 60fps.

It will be interesting to compare good quality actual in game console screenshots of both games when they release because that’s what the discussion is about, the leap between console generations. I’m sure there will be certain scenes in SS that blow AK away and others that don’t look as good as AK.

I know one thing I’m super let down by SS in terms of what looks to be it’s core gameplay loop. It looks like a generic third person looter shooter even if they’ve backtracked after that genre imploded and took the loot out and tried to pass it off as a more narrative based game. Really disappointed.
The poster wasnt complaining about textures. The post was about shader quality. I agree though that technically GK was doing a number of stuff at high fidelity like texture work and scale for example. I also think suicide squad when looked at without blurry YT will probably showcase better texture work as well. It still looks like its from the last generation. Not even close too a next gen upgrade. Ive never seen a 60 fps from a AAA studio that cut graphics 4x to acheive it.

I agree the gameplay looks balls.

What is HR2?

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I specifically mentioned they were captured on my own PS4, and I took them from my own library
also they are all in-game
the only ones not in-game [as in gameplay] are the ones with BATMAN and NIGHTWING in the showcase mode [view mode] where models are 1:1 in terms of detail
unless you're implying I am not being truthful, which is really sad, if so

[I did not even own a decent PC to run it back then] LOL
So not PC fair enough but the stand out impressive pics are from a model viewer mode… yeah that’s my point. Let’s stop comparing apples to oranges.

When Suicide Squad releases last nights gameplay in 4K let’s compare some of those shots to actual normal in game PS4 Arkham Knight gameplay. PS4 verses PS5 gameplay. Not cinematics and certainly not model viewers with god knows what kind of bells and whistles added that doesn’t appear in actual gameplay. Some people will obviously still prefer AK but I’m sure there will be things going on in SS that can’t be done on a PS4 whether that impresses people from a visual perspective is another matter.

At the end of the day the two games are going for completely different aims. AK is a cinematic single player action game and SS is a four player co-op looter shooter with a map probably several times the size of AK’s and I imagine absolutely silly fights against the superheros which probably have destruction of the city even if it’s pre calculated.

I’m sure people in this thread are smart enough to realise that it’s not only art direction and hardware power that makes a huge difference to a games visuals but also what the developers are trying to achieve with the art and hardware.

The CPU calculations alone for four SS players all firing off different abilities and alpha effects is going to use massive amounts of the generational leap in specs. It’s an almost step for step repeat of Gotham Knights because when you add a multiplayer component your CPU draw calls can go through the roof. I’m actually surprised they showed SS running at 60fps tbh as doubling Gotham Knights framerate while looking much better visually is a feat in and of itself.

Hugare

Forspoken is a pretty game. The lighting, foliage, and vistas in the open world is really nice. There's a nice draw distance. Particle effects are top notch.

The problem is it doesn't look anywhere close to as good as what initially presented to us. It's that simple really. Shouldn't be a surprise why so many people are down on its visuals. Then there are the many little visual inaccuracies that DF pointed out, the fact that RT does absolutely nothing, and the somewhat disappointing performance. The character model herself in gameplay is also disappointing. Low detail on her face compared to trailers. When are games going to start having better I'm game models anyway?
It doesnt look any better than FF XV from 2015 using the same engine

On PC, FF XV looks better most of the time, with the exception of ingame models

For a current gen only game, its laughable. Its not even Top 5 of last gen open world games in terms of graphics.

H . R . 2

So not PC fair enough but the stand out impressive pics are from a model viewer mode… yeah that’s my point. Let’s stop comparing apples to oranges.
first off, the character models in the showcase mode are 1:1 and literally the same assets. the view mode is just there to allow players to appreciate their details up close.
we are not talking about a racing game's photo mode with AA- and RT-enabled features.
TLOU2 had a similar mode. because it'd be a missed opportunity to not allow players to inspect and enjoy the little details when you have created such amazing models with such meticulous attention.

When Suicide Squad releases last nights gameplay in 4K let’s compare some of those shots to actual normal in game PS4 Arkham Knight gameplay. PS4 verses PS5 gameplay. Not cinematics

also none of those screenshots were from cinematics. that's downright mendacious
but one can easily compare cutscenes and see for themselves how superior AK was in that regard as well
and the fact that you can't see the difference in lighting, AO, geometry, and art direction and you actually need to juxtapose them to see the difference proves that improvements in SS have not been "a generational leap" and are at best minimal, and that AK was far ahead of SS if not better, given when it was released and what engine it utilized [modded UE3 which makes it all the more impressive]
go back to my photos and analyse them closely in terms of the factors I mentioned above and you'll see the difference.

both GK and SS look underwhelming, and are far from a "generational leap" in computing or graphics simply because they are intended to run at 4K/60fps [barely] and because they are "COOP" "online multiplatform" games [meaning mid-range PCs too]
we all know that. but one has to wonder why?? why this game? why another coop when everyone wanted a SP game ? why 4K AND 60fps? I won't answer that because I am not going to go down the rabbit hole
it will not necessarily end up being a bad game, but not what most fans wished for and definitely not the visual showcase we have come to expect from RS

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You know what I love about the backlash to this State Of Play? Yes, it's great that its almost universal and everyone on this forum is finally where we've been mentally for the last 2-3 years. But what's interesting is that the show had RE4 and SF6, and everyone still hated it. Those are huge games that will be well reviewed, will sell millions, and im sure everyone will love playing them, but people immediately dismissed those games as last gen been there done that kinda games.

That to me is real progress. People are starting to see that these studios havent done anything meaningful since the PS360 genre to innovate or revolutionize these genres. RE4 is widely considered one of the greatest if not the greatest action games of all time, and its remake has people going, ok but where is Spiderman 2?

And lastly, if Spiderman 2 comes out looking like Ratchet or Demon Souls with samey gameplay from the PS4 era, yeesh, I dont think people are going to be very down on it too. I get the feeling people want to see something new not just in graphics but also gameplay. Just look at how Star Wars jedi survivor has been received. Very lukewarm reception.

You know what I love about the backlash to this State Of Play? Yes, it's great that its almost universal and everyone on this forum is finally where we've been mentally for the last 2-3 years. But what's interesting is that the show had RE4 and SF6, and everyone still hated it. Those are huge games that will be well reviewed, will sell millions, and im sure everyone will love playing them, but people immediately dismissed those games as last gen been there done that kinda games.

That to me is real progress. People are starting to see that these studios havent done anything meaningful since the PS360 genre to innovate or revolutionize these genres. RE4 is widely considered one of the greatest if not the greatest action games of all time, and its remake has people going, ok but where is Spiderman 2?

And lastly, if Spiderman 2 comes out looking like Ratchet or Demon Souls with samey gameplay from the PS4 era, yeesh, I dont think people are going to be very down on it too. I get the feeling people want to see something new not just in graphics but also gameplay. Just look at how Star Wars jedi survivor has been received. Very lukewarm reception.

I think the real reason people were unimpressed by RE4 and SF6 is because we've already seen both games a ton of times. There's a ton of people here that are very excited for both games.

It's not so much a "been there done that" response as it is an "I've seen this game a dozen times already" response.

SlimySnake

I think the real reason people were unimpressed by RE4 and SF6 is because we've already seen both games a ton of times. There's a ton of people here that are very excited for both games.

It's not so much a "been there done that" response as it is an "I've seen this game a dozen times already" response.
Perhaps. Or perhaps it feels like a step back from TLOU2, a three year old game with better visuals, animations, and gameplay. RE4 feels very stiff. Probably by design but its been almost 20 years since RE4 came out. Time to move on and try something different.

Perhaps. Or perhaps it feels like a step back from TLOU2, a three year old game with better visuals, animations, and gameplay. RE4 feels very stiff. Probably by design but its been almost 20 years since RE4 came out. Time to move on and try something different.

I agree with you there. I was looking forward to RE4 but the more I see of it, the less I'm interested. The Dead Space remake looks a lot more impressive, visually.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
first off, the character models in the showcase mode are 1:1 and literally the same assets. the view mode is just there to allow players to appreciate their details up close.
we are not talking about a racing game's photo mode with AA- and RT-enabled features.
TLOU2 had a similar mode. because it'd be a missed opportunity to not allow players to inspect and enjoy the little details when you have created such amazing models with such meticulous attention.

also none of those screenshots were from cinematics. that's downright mendacious
but one can easily compare cutscenes and see for themselves how superior AK was in that regard as well
and the fact that you can't see the difference in lighting, AO, geometry, and art direction and you actually need to juxtapose them to see the difference proves that improvements in SS have not been "a generational leap" and are at best minimal, and that AK was far ahead of SS if not better, given when it was released and what engine it utilized [modded UE3 which makes it all the more impressive]
go back to my photos and analyse them closely in terms of the factors I mentioned above and you'll see the difference.

both GK and SS look underwhelming, and are far from a "generational leap" in computing or graphics simply because they are intended to run at 4K/60fps [barely] and because they are "COOP" "online multiplatform" games [meaning mid-range PCs too]
we all know that. but one has to wonder why?? why this game? why another coop when everyone wanted a SP game ? why 4K AND 60fps? I won't answer that because I am not going to go down the rabbit hole
it will not necessarily end up being a bad game, but not what most fans wished for and definitely not the visual showcase we have come to expect from RS
Apologies then if it really is all in game assets. I assumed it would be like a racing game for photo mode. Sorry.

All this does is make me want an Arkham Knight Remaster then haha. Just the same game but at 1800p/60fps.

SlimySnake

It is just me or re4 remake kinda looks worse than re2/3 remakes?
Nah, i recently played both games. It looks better. RE3 has that one corridor in the lab where it looks amazing but otherwise its a very average looking last gen game with above average character models.

There are some bizarre artstyle choices for the rain but otherwise it is doing several things that are way better than even Village.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I respect Insomniac games, Playground Games and Guerrilla Games even more now after seeing all those newer games. What they achieved early in the gen with cross gen games still looks better than what we have seen from the other big studios this late in the gen. And they are also releasing games and big DLCs faster than any other studio.

GymWolf

Nah, i recently played both games. It looks better. RE3 has that one corridor in the lab where it looks amazing but otherwise its a very average looking last gen game with above average character models.

There are some bizarre artstyle choices for the rain but otherwise it is doing several things that are way better than even Village.

So exactly like this remake?

There is nothing remotely nextgen looking in this remake cmon dude.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I respect Insomniac games, Playground Games and Guerrilla Games even more now after seeing all those newer games. What they achieved early in the gen with cross gen games still looks better than what we have seen from the other big studios this late in the gen. And they are also releasing games and big DLCs faster than any other studio.
The fact that Forza 8, a next gen only, circuit based game looks roughly on par with Forza Horizon 5, a last gen open world game is proof of that.

I have no idea whats happened to these talented developers. Brain drain must be real. Next gen only games need to look way better than they do today.

So exactly like this remake?

There is nothing remotely nextgen looking in this remake cmon dude.
Where did I say it looks next gen? If anything ive been saying it looks last gen as fuck and couldnt save that awful Sony conference.

I see that you edited your post, but I think the lighting looks way better than RE2 and RE3 which had a very baked feel to them even compared to RE8. I dont know about textures because its hard to complain village textures with city building textures, but tesselation is definitely better. They are using a lot of very cool effects here from fog to smoke and wind effects. I love the lamps and ceiling lights casting volumetric godrays. yes, its overstylized but it looks better to me. RE8 had a lot of these effects but felt very muted where as this looks like everything is on steroids. Even the rain lmao.

Turk1993

The fact that Forza 8, a next gen only, circuit based game looks roughly on par with Forza Horizon 5, a last gen open world game is proof of that.

I have no idea whats happened to these talented developers. Brain drain must be real. Next gen only games need to look way better than they do today.

Where did I say it looks next gen? If anything ive been saying it looks last gen as fuck and couldnt save that awful Sony conference.

I see that you edited your post, but I think the lighting looks way better than RE2 and RE3 which had a very baked feel to them even compared to RE8. I dont know about textures because its hard to complain village textures with city building textures, but tesselation is definitely better. They are using a lot of very cool effects here from fog to smoke and wind effects. I love the lamps and ceiling lights casting volumetric godrays. yes, its overstylized but it looks better to me. RE8 had a lot of these effects but felt very muted where as this looks like everything is on steroids. Even the rain lmao.

Forza 8 runs at 60fps with in game RT plus a more advanced physics system with fully dynamic weather and tod on all tracks. That actually makes it even more impressive even if it only matched Forza Horizon 5. But it will look better, on pc atleast. The improvements in lighting and shaders are there. Im actually more curious for FH6 since that will be next gen only and at 30fps so they can go all out.

SlimySnake

Forza 8 runs at 60fps with in game RT plus a more advanced physics system with fully dynamic weather and tod on all tracks.
The problem is that RT isnt making it look better than FH5. I cant jerk off to RTGI at 60 fps if GT7 has better lighting without RTGI and DC has better weather effects with just 1.8 tflops at its disposal.

It simply needs to look way better than it does.

SlimySnake SlimySnake What do think of Atomic Heart?
Looks absolutely stunning at times outdoors and then rather underwhelming in other spots. DF just showed like half a dozen areas that are completely lacking shadowing and any kind of AO. It's bizarre because the game's lighting is amazing in those open world areas. Indoors you can tell it looks the same last gen stuff we've seen. Still, looks way better than forspoken, Star Wars and Suicide Squad. Crazy considering its cross gen and runs at a native 4k 60 fps on PS5.

Turk1993

The problem is that RT isnt making it look better than FH5. I cant jerk off to RTGI at 60 fps if GT7 has better lighting without RTGI and DC has better weather effects with just 1.8 tflops at its disposal.

Looks absolutely stunning at times outdoors and then rather underwhelming in other spots. DF just showed like half a dozen areas that are completely lacking shadowing and any kind of AO. It's bizarre because the game's lighting is amazing in those open world areas. Indoors you can tell it looks the same last gen stuff we've seen. Still, looks way better than forspoken, Star Wars and Suicide Squad. Crazy considering its cross gen and runs at a native 4k 60 fps on PS5.
But it looks better than FH5 and the lighting is atleast on par with GT7 (better on some tod and worse on others). But GT7 is sacrificing lots of things to get that lighting running like in game car models, track side details, trees, reflections,... And we have yet to see the weather in game to judge how it looks. The track side detail alone looks a generation better than any other sim racer.
fm2t7efr.gif

fm1s3ciq.gif

rjhqHv9.gif

O44FBSs.gif

Hunnybun

Forza 8 looks fantastic, I can't understand the complaints. It looks way, way, better than GT7 to me, and credibly next gen.

And, as sceptical as I am about RT this generation, it looks pretty great here tbh.

Last edited:

alloush

Slimy, don't even joke about Spidey 2 looking like R&C or Demon Souls or having this last gen feeling to it. As great looking as these two games are, I do not consider them truly next gen looking games and I know a lotta people will disagree but my standards are much higher than what those games looked like. The Matrix Demo raised the bar for me hella, but even before I played it my expectations for graphics going into this gen were already sky high.

Jeez, I got shivers down my spine thinking about Spidey 2 possibly looking last gen-ish:messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

CGNoire

Yeah they really need a patch to come with the much needed outdoor lightmaps asap.

H . R . 2

Yep. It certainly does to me.

The artstyle has def changed away from phtogrammetry level realism back to a common japanese stylized style similar to Tekken. Looks like alot of fhe texture work was hand painted. Its a shame.
almost all engines were heavily overhauled and upgraded at the outset of the last gen just to be downgraded severely later

AnvilNext 2.0: Unity> Syndicate Origins, Valhalla | RS: Patriots [unreleased] > RS: Siege E3 Reveal > RS: Siege Final release
Snowdrop: The Division 1> The Division 2
IW: COD2019 > COD2022
RE Engine DMCV, RE2 > RE3, RE4
Chrome Engine: Dying Light 1 > Dying Light 2
Glacier Engine Absolution> Hitman1
Frostbite: BF4[levelution] > BF 2042
Northlight: Quantum Break > Control
Luminous Engine: FF15 > Forespoken
UE3 [MODDED] : AK > SS

all that potential ignored and wasted in the trivial pursuit of quick cash grabs and appeasing framerate/ pixel counters.
The Matrix Demo was so phenomenal-looking that one would not notice or even care about drops in res/fps because the only place where any such minimal reductions [if any] are truly justified, it is that game.
but people have games like Forespoken with horrible engines shoved down their throats as "next-gen gorgeous" and delude themselves into thinking "wow this would not be possible on a PS4 because,...particles!"
as if we didn't have complex particles systems last-gen [SW:BF][The Order1886]
don't get me wrong I am not blaming anyone for liking that game's visuals, how/why could I? but please do not blame us for not wanting to lower our standards either.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

But it looks better than FH5 and the lighting is atleast on par with GT7 (better on some tod and worse on others). But GT7 is sacrificing lots of things to get that lighting running like in game car models, track side details, trees, reflections,... And we have yet to see the weather in game to judge how it looks. The track side detail alone looks a generation better than any other sim racer.
fm2t7efr.gif

fm1s3ciq.gif

rjhqHv9.gif

O44FBSs.gif
Those look pretty good i agree. But next gen? Maybe someone can post gifs to correct me but thats what I remember GT7 looking like aside from the trackside detail. IQ is really good though. I guess we are finally getting close to replay modes?

Turk1993

Those look pretty good i agree. But next gen? Maybe someone can post gifs to correct me but thats what I remember GT7 looking like aside from the trackside detail. IQ is really good though. I guess we are finally getting close to replay modes?
In gifs you can show gt7 looking equelly good since the lighting and shaders are still one of the best if not the best. But when you compare them raw in gameplay you will see why forza 8 looks and is a generational difference. The trackside detail and trees alone are a gen better let alone all the other things. Fully 3d trees and vegetation that react to wind and weather at this quality. And than you have all the tracks featuring weather and dynamic tod. The in game car models, reflections (RT), reflections fps, draw distance and many other things like that are also better outside track details. But there will be still things better in GT7 despite beeing cross gen. And that has nothing to do with power or gen, more with the time and talent. Like the cockpit details and the way some models are modeled like the light and such. But in general forza 8 is current gen game and you can see it pretty easily if you play lots of racing games. And while GT7 is not a current gen game, its still the best looking racing sim on console. So forza beeing better with all those things i mentioned is proof that its current gen and will look better than any other racer.

alloush

The Matrix Demo was so phenomenal-looking that one would not notice or even care about drops in res/fps because the only place where any such minimal reductions [if any] are truly justified, it is that game.
As I mentioned earlier The Matrix demo really spoiled me and in a way ruined it for me. I mean I already had high expectations coming into this gen but The Matrix demo was like “you think you had high expectations? That’s cute”.

I still recall the first time I played it I swear I couldn’t believe it, when it switched from the cinematics to the actual gameplay the gun shooting part I said to myself “nah this aint real, I cannot play this game , I aint the one shooting the gun am I?”. It was the biggest “wow” for me graphically EVER.

It doesnt look any better than FF XV from 2015 using the same engine

On PC, FF XV looks better most of the time, with the exception of ingame models

For a current gen only game, its laughable. Its not even Top 5 of last gen open world games in terms of graphics.

I don't disagree. I'm disappointed with it. But I fired up the demo again and it can look nice at times. Its very bad for a next gen only game. Just like Gotham Knights. I need to fire up FF15 again to compare.

Ff15 is another example of how much better things were LAST gen compared to this gen in terms of graphical fidelity. It came out on 2015 and felt like a proper next gen game on ps4. Forspoken also 2+ years into this gens life, by the same studio on the same engine, and it sports only marginal improvements graphically while not even hitting 60 fps in quality mode.

ACESHIGH

Banned
almost all engines were heavily overhauled and upgraded at the outset of the last gen just to be downgraded severely later

AnvilNext 2.0: Unity> Syndicate Origins, Valhalla | RS: Patriots [unreleased] > RS: Siege E3 Reveal > RS: Siege Final release

all that potential ignored and wasted in the trivial pursuit of quick cash grabs and appeasing framerate/ pixel counters.
but people have games like Forespoken with horrible engines shoved down their throats as "next-gen gorgeous" and delude themselves into thinking "wow this would not be possible on a PS4 because,...particles!"
don't get me wrong I am not blaming anyone for liking that game's visuals, how/why could I? but please do not blame us for not wanting to lower our standards either.

Yep, this so much. I always had the impression that 8th gen consoles were not pushed to their absolute max. Not sure why. If you look at the best looking sony games, Last of us 2, Forbidden west, Ragnarok they are all 1080p 30. Why couldn't they be 720p 30 instead? Same with xbox games. FH5, Gears 5 and more. All 1080p 30. Just make these old consoles beg for mercy and make them go with a bang. Thats how it was last generation ( GTA V, Last of Us, BF4, Rise of the Tomb Raider)

But what annoys me the most is that games, no matter what they are showing on screen, they always ask for more HW. I would be fine if studios weren't trying to push the envelope but at least didn't ask for more HW to play similar looking games. This WO Long game that released last week for example: It looks on par with Sekiro but demands a lot more HW. I could run sekiro maxed out AT 1080P on an FX 6300 GTX 760 PC at around 40 FPS. This other game (cross gen BTW) is making even cards like the 4090 struggle. Devs are either less talented or they are slacking. I won't subsidize their lack of optimization by buying more HW.

I don't see why people are complaining again, this shit looks fucking awesome to me!

SlimySnake

I have no idea WTF happened with Forspoken. It was running on playstation 5 at the PS5 reveal. Maybe Sony was lying. After all, they said Horizon was captured running on PS5 but we now know the final game was heavily downgraded from that original teaser at the PS5 reveal. But Demon Souls and Ratchet were at the same show and didnt get downgraded and Horizon was probably a prerendered CG they tried to pass on as realtime.

I do think BF1 looks better than BF4 which was a cross gen title. BF1 got a huge lighting upgrade and BF2042 simply looks better. It's probably a bit lacking in art direction but in terms of tech, its undoubtedly better than BF4.

I dont want to defend lazy devs, but I think it's important to understand why Valhalla doesnt look as good as AC Unity. It's way bigger than Unity. It has a realtime lighting system instead of baked time of day for AC unity, and its set in a vast open world with foliage thats very hard to render compared to static buildings that do a great job reducing the draw distance.

Control is also far more ambitious than Quantum Break. They focused on destructible environments, and yes, that came at a cost. I am willing to let some downgrades slide if the devs use it to justify ambitious new features. I hate Valhalla but Origins was an ambitious reboot for the series.

I do agree with Aces that devs shouldve started aiming for at least 900p instead of 1080p as soon as the Pro consoles came out. The people who cared about resolution wouldve already bought it. Just look at what GG did when they downgraded HFW to 900p. It looks better than the 1080p HZD on PS4 by a huge margin. ND, SSM, Insomniac and all other third party devs shouldve targeted 900p on PS4 instead of Xbox One. Xbox One shouldve been a 720p console.

Lethal01

This is very impressive, but I don't think I want games to look this close to reality. It looks very boring. I still demand a healthy dose of artistic, fantastical flair if you know what I mean.

I don't want it either but if they are aiming for it I prefer they actually achieve it.
in the PS2 age games aiming for "realism" were still failing so bad that their attempts to fake it resulted in interesting styles,
nowadays they usually just look ike realism -shadows/reflections and end up being less visually appealing than even things on ps1.

CGNoire

I 99% agree with this except....

While the art style change Hitman reboot employed most likely to keep costs down and avoid the uncanney valley looks worse than Absolution it is far more technically advanced. The shaders alone trump H:A not to mention the scale and the lighting as well. That being said the change still sucks. Fans had waited years for IO to finally reach the artistic fidelity and Noire Style of those awesome prerendered load screens and finally with Absoultion we where spitting distance away and shit looked excellent. Then they went all about face with it. I hope when it returns they embrace that old superior "Noire" aesthetic with the same curated attention to detail that H:A had.

Top Bottom