• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphics Comparison: God of War Collection Vs. Originals

brain_stew said:
No its not. The PS2 version didn't benefit from supersampled AA.

The IGN comparison is completely valid, the only real fair way to do it. Unless of course you shrink the size of your games when you play them on your HDTV? The comparison is absolutely representative of the difference you'll see when you play both games on a modern TV. Yes, PS2 Image quality really was much worse than you ever remember it was.

I know
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18385190&postcount=39

I was just giving him what he wanted

DJ_Lae

Is IGN running the PS2 version through an HDTV with the world's worst scaler? It looks chunky on mine, but nowhere near that awful.

The remake is certainly cleaner, but they've made no changes other than the resolution so I'll just stick with the old copies.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
GrotesqueBeauty said:
All I need to know is if the screen tearing is completely gone. I hate that shit.

I would say it would be an epic failure if they cannot get a PS2 era game to run without tearing.

brain_stew said:
No that's a stupid way to do it. Who views SD content on their TV at 1/4 size? Because that's essentially the sort of comparison you're asking for.

No its not. The PS2 version didn't benefit from supersampled AA.

The IGN comparison is completely valid, the only real fair way to do it. Unless of course you shrink the size of your games when you play them on your HDTV? The comparison is absolutely representative of the difference you'll see when you play both games on a modern TV. Yes, PS2 Image quality really was much worse than you ever remember it was.
True, but when played on a PS3 using the upscaling/smoothing option it looks more like the first set of captures (except not nearly as dark). MGS3 looks like a blocky game on my HDTV, reminds me of how 320x240 games would look on old school CRTs. But when I turn on the upscaling/smoothing it looks pretty darn close to MGS4 in Image Quality (obviously frame rate and certain textures/models are not as good though).

MrPliskin

Banned
Fio said:
I know, but I believe a proper comparison would be done putting side by side PS2 480p GoW1&2 pics and PS3 720p, 2xAA GoW1&2 pics, so we all could realize the real difference. Because, honestly, I believe it's kind of a lazy job rendering the game only at 720p and adding a meager 2xAA.

...what?

WickedLaharl said:
the remastered pics look washed out

Really does. The colors don't look as good or anything... in some ways the grain looks good on SD..

I'd like to see it in action (demo hello? lolpsn) before deciding, though.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
1) Take popular PS2 games
2) Make no changes whatsoever other than making it output at a higher resolution
3) ???
4) Profit

I'm only interested because I never played the PS2 originals. I've no idea why anyone would double dip so quickly just to get it at a higher res...

Ballistictiger said:
That's because owners of both GOW games know it looks like ass on a HDTV.
They look better than a lot of other PS2 games I think, I played both for the first time on an HDTV.

strideramc

I never beat the first one, and never got around to picking up the second one. Looks like now is the best time to play through these. Glad I waited...:lol

diddlyD

Banned
RurouniZel said:
2) Make no changes whatsoever other than making it output at a higher resolution
3) ???
4) Profit

I'm only interested because I never played the PS2 originals. I've no idea why anyone would double dip so quickly just to get it at a higher res...

trophies baby.

i've played 1, 2, and the psp one through (multiple times each except for 2) and with part 3 so close, i won't be getting these, as i'm pretty sure they would burn me out on GOW for a long time. now you know.

RurouniZel said:
3) ???
4) Profit

Trophies, the old games looks like ass on my HDTV and now they're on one disk. If you love the games and have a HDTV it's a no brainer.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
diddlyD said:
trophies baby.

i've played 1, 2, and the psp one through (multiple times each except for 2) and with part 3 so close, i won't be getting these, as i'm pretty sure they would burn me out on GOW for a long time. now you know.

THE Caffeinated said:
Trophies, the old games looks like ass on my HDTV and now they're on one disk. If you love the games and have a HDTV it's a no brainer.

Like I said, "Make no changes whatsoever other than making it output at a higher resolution"

People are going to spend $40 for trophies? Really? I guess people'll pay for anything these days...

theox2g6

Neo Member
The IGN comparisons are amazing. It's crazy how a little AA and native resolution boost can do. I agree it looks washed out but it still looks way better than the original. So that's welcome. Although, it wouldn't have hurt to add some more contrast and lighting. Why let all that power and bluray space go to waste? This is how it should've looked like and should've been in 1080p considering it's running on the ps3.

2qxc3us.jpg

25zplqo.jpg

2upwck7.jpg

vspbur.jpg

9rri38.jpg

18ho3k.jpg

iw6ee9.jpg

2v0le0l.jpg

Now that would've been a treat for ps3 gamers especially newcomers to the franchise.

sentry65

I need to know if it this disc upscales to 1080i or even 1080p because my HDTV is older and doesn't do 720p. If it doesn't, that negates any reason for buying it...

RurouniZel said:
Like I said, "Make no changes whatsoever other than making it output at a higher resolution"

People are going to spend $40 for trophies? Really? I guess people'll pay for anything these days...
Who are you trying to convince man? The people here are fans their mind is already convinced. Not everybody have BC and this is a good chance for them.

720p, 2xAA, no screentearing for both the GOW games and GOW 3 demo to boot. Trophies are just a plus not a necessity.

theox2g6

Neo Member
I think only 720p support has been confirmed, at least from official sources like IGN. But I doubt they wouldn't support 1080i or 1080p as most other games do support.

Luigiv

Valkyr Junkie said:
What are you talking about? Those pictures are a real-world representation of what the PS2 GOW games will look like on a HDTV, and what the new PS3 versions will look like on an HDTV. What did you expect them to do in a 15-week port job? Did you expect them to spend a ton of money recreating every single art asset in the game?

Here is the real difference in quality between the PS2 and PS3 versions.

b9ewdf.jpg

qzg0pk.jpg
Actually the PS2 games runs at 640x360 in 16:9 mode.

NZer

It's just nostalgia that makes me remember the GOW games as looking like these updates (rather than the IGN ps2 screens), isn't it?

Funny, for me it's as if new games aren't getting much better looking - rather that old games are getting uglier (if that makes any sense to anyone).

Miburou

Didn't GoWII run in 720p when played on the PS3?

EDIT: on second thought, I think that turned out to be a hoax.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
RurouniZel said:
3) ???
4) Profit

Isn't it just the same change as the PS3's PS2 emulator did before they removed it, just up-scaling it really. :lol

Atari2600

Too dumb for the internet
theox2g6 said:
I think only 720p support has been confirmed, at least from official sources like IGN. But I doubt they wouldn't support 1080i or 1080p as most other games do support.

720p is the max res for this compilation according to the press kit that came with the game.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
RurouniZel said:

Wait, wait... should I buy the $40 collection that will go in the PS3 I already own, or should I pay for both discs independently, a PS2, and an SD TV so my game doesn't look like a washed out mess? How much is that going to run me again?

As for the collection, the detail in the assets is absolutely astounding. Some of the collection shots look like what would have been "bullshots" a long time ago. Going to look great on my TV... plus, the wife watched the trailer and said "God damn, we have to get this." I love it.

theox2g6 said:
The IGN comparisons are amazing. It's crazy how a little AA and native resolution boost can do. I agree it looks washed out but it still looks way better than the original. So that's welcome. Although, it wouldn't have hurt to add some more contrast and lighting. Why let all that power and bluray space go to waste? This is how it should've looked like and should've been in 1080p considering it's running on the ps3.

Now that would've been a treat for ps3 gamers especially newcomers to the franchise.

The PS3 has always had a problem with rendering full resolution transparencies, and its strengths certainly don't lie in pushing a lot of polygons either. Those are essentially the two areas which God of War pushed the most, add in AA which the PS3 isn't particularly efficient with either and its not surprising they weren't able to manage a higher level of AA and 1080p resolution whilst still maintaing 60fps. The game was really tailor made arond whaT the PS2 could do well, and RSX is a very different beast to the old GS.

Ironically the game would be very suited to running on the 360 from what I can tell (as would a lot of PS2 titles as it happens), the stuff that the PS3's is really good at such as pixel shading will be very underutilised in this straight port.

shintoki said:
Isn't it just the same change as the PS3's PS2 emulator did before they removed it, just up-scaling it really. :lol

haha, someone has never played a PS2 game on a PS3 (not surprising).

but no, hell naw, do PS2 games played on the PS3 look this good. PC emulators? yes.

brain_stew said:
The PS3 has always had a problem with rendering full resolution transparencies, and its strengths certainly don't lie in pushing a lot of polygons either. Those are essentially the two areas which God of War pushed the most, add in AA which the PS3 isn't particularly efficient with either and its not surprising they weren't able to manage a higher level of AA and 1080p resolution whilst still maintaing 60fps. The game was really tailor made arond whaT the PS2 could do well, and RSX is a very different beast to the old GS.

Ironically the game would be very suited to running on the 360 from what I can tell (as would a lot of PS2 titles as it happens), the stuff that the PS3's is really good at such as pixel shading will be very underutilised in this straight port.

Ok, so ps2 ports would be awesome on the 360... sweet. Um, well, yeah... they didnt completely redo the game on a different engine. They made a couple of tweaks... I guess I dont understand your post and your inclusion of the 360 into the conversation but thumbs up anyway.

EDIT: Added the awesome bold

TheExecutive said:
Ok, so ps2 ports would be awesome on the 360... sweet. Um, well, yeah... they didnt completely redo the game on a different engine. They made a couple of tweaks... I guess I dont understand your post and your inclusion of the 360 into the conversation but thumbs up anyway.

Its just a look at how certain art styles map to certain hardware. The best looking games on PS2 (GOW / Jak and Daxter / SOTC etc) really tied their art style to what worked best on the PS2 hardware.

That's why the textures in GOW each individually don't tend to use more than a few different colours, they're usually just different shades of the same colour, as the PS2's texturing hardware wasn't great so it was better to use textures with a low colour depth if you could. The PS2 could push a crazy amount of geometry and do some pretty nice stuff with transparencies and the like because of its insane memory bandwidth . GOW really pushed these areas because using an artstyle that emphasises a system's strengths and covers up its weaknesses is really going to help get the best possible graphics out of the system, especially when the hardware is so unique like the PS2 was.

Its simply coincidental that a lot of the areas the PS2 was really good at, RSX is not so hot compared to modern alternatives (like Xenos in the 360). A lot of the PS2 and 360's hardware strengths (like the ability to handle transparencies and push a lot of vertices) just happen to overlap is all (owing a lot to them both using eDRAM) and RSX and the GS in PS2 aren't a great match. Its why a 1080p, 4xmsaa GOW isn't really feasible on the PS3 despite the gap in many areas being absolutely huge.

brain_stew said:
Its just a look at how certain art styles map to certain hardware. The best looking games on PS2 (GOW / Jak and Daxter / SOTC etc) really tied their art style to what worked best on the PS2 hardware.

That's why the textures in GOW each individually don't tend to use more than a few different colours, they're usually just different shades of the same colour, as the PS2's texturing hardware wasn't great so it was better to use textures with a low colour depth if you could. The PS2 could push a crazy amount of geometry and do some pretty nice stuff with transparencies and the like because of its insane memory bandwidth . GOW really pushed these areas because using an artstyle that emphasises a system's strengths and covers up its weaknesses is really going to help get the best possible graphics out of the system, especially when the hardware is so unique like the PS2 was.

Its simply coincidental that a lot of the areas the PS2 was really good at, RSX is not so hot compared to modern alternatives (like Xenos in the 360). A lot of the PS2 and 360's hardware strengths (like the ability to handle transparencies and push a lot of vertices) just happen to overlap is all (owing a lot to them both using eDRAM) and RSX and the GS in PS2 aren't a great match. Its why a 1080p, 4xmsaa GOW isn't really feasible on the PS3 despite the gap in many areas being absolutely huge.
Honestly, after you got shut down by the Infinity Ward developer the other day, I thought you'd take a break from "the usual". But alas, who am I kidding! MW:Reflex is a much better game than any of those on the PS3. 15 weeks for a port.

Top Bottom